Spirituality during this pandemic

Discussion in 'Members Lounge' started by Blazealiste, Aug 25, 2021.

1. Blazealiste

Blazealiste Senior Member

"Spirituality, a source of comfort, support and meaning, instills the idea of a sense of belonging and existential interconnectedness, promoting mental health. In the literature, in fact, the accent has been placed on the association that exists between having spirituality and having a greater perception of well-being, physical and mental health. A particularly important aspect is related to coping, or the function performed by spiritual well-being in the management of stressful events. Spiritual coping can be understood as cognitive and behavioral efforts to find or maintain meaning, purpose and connection in the face of difficult situations.

Especially in stressful situations, faith and spirituality seem to also act positively on the immune system, particularly for older people who are also those most involved in religious and/or spiritual activities. Furthermore, spiritual well-being is defined as a state that connects the mind and body of the individual, society, intelligence and health, supporting the individual in his/her attitudes and life goals.

In this period of the COVID-19 pandemic they seem to assume a role and an even deeper meaning in relation to the bewilderment that people are confronted with when faced with such a pervasive, disruptive event, creating daily fragility, fear and uncertainty. In particular, the spiritual distress in those people going through adverse situations, such as that caused by COVID-19, should not be underestimated. By spiritual distress we mean suffering connected to the impossibility of feeling meaning in life, a state of anguish that occurs when an individual experience suffering that in some way undermines their personal identity, for example by raising existential questions about the reason for that particular suffering."

What are your thoughts?

cloud potato and SeaAndSky like this.
  2. SeaAndSky

SeaAndSky Senior Registered

Hi Blaze,

This is a nice quote. Source?

Also, I think there is another response beyond the "bewilderment that people are confronted with when faced with such a pervasive, disruptive event, creating daily fragility, fear and uncertainty." Those who do not deal with the situation completely via spirituality are IMO much more likely to lapse into outrage or depression. Actually, I think most of us here are having a mix of all three in terms of our responses. However, "free floating" rage and depression seem to be everywhere these days. I could get into particular very obvious examples, but then I would have to mention "P*******" as part of the list and this would be met with wrath from the highest levels, causing my post to be immediately deleted without further discussion. So, I will not go further.

Cordially,
    S&S

Blazealiste likes this.
  3. Cyrus

Cyrus Senior Registered

Hi, everybody.

I used to think that in a pandemia the best behaviour was to assure good desinfectants, good vaccines and strict observation of all the recommendations and restrictions imposed by the competent sanitarial authoritues.

But then the latest virus variation (Delta) appeared. With Delta, the people are infected much more quickly and the death it provokes is much more rapid and sure.

I didn't attribute the apparition of Delta to anything special until I saw that video-clip I put at the bottom of this page.

The High Court of the Region of Catalonia (Spain) just annulled the decision of the Catalonian sanitarial authorities to establish a curfew in Barcelona, and so, the crowds of all kinds of the local idiots and half-wits filled the streets of Barcelona to express their satisfaction.

Now the Darwin selection principle starts vigourously multipled by the Delta virus factor, and there appears a possibility that Barcelona will get rid of its most stupid and wicked inhabitants much sooner than it did before Delta appeared.

I can only look at this as something highly spiritual, maybe even the Divine intervention. The ways of the Lord are inscrutable.

IMHO.

Blazealiste and fireflydancing like this.
  4. cloud potato

cloud potato Senior Registered

My thoughts are, the bioweapon and the worlds response to it has brought focus shining a light on latent desires, deeper-personality traits I long to fulfill. I could say I am blessed. It's an opportunity for anyone, to find themselves.

Blazealiste and pondquinion like this.
  5. pondquinion

pondquinion Senior Member

The coronavirus illuminated the idea of what is essential and nonessential in our lives, and accordingly, we can seek how to provide ourselves all human society with life’s essentials and invest our free time in learning about what is most important in life and developing positive connections to each other.

6. Blazealiste

Blazealiste Senior Member

In my opinion, the correct way to look at this is to see one's self as the means of bringing about change in all those problems this pandemic has brought us upon. To be a cause of unity among people rather than be polarizing. To be of service in the arena of science and medicine so as to help a future pandemic.

Apologies for not sharing the source link in my first post. I thought I would just post it after some of you guys cared to join in and share your thoughts, which I appreciate so much. Btw, here's the source link, this is a good report you guys will enjoy reading. :)

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyt.2021.626944/full

7. CMiguel

CMiguel Active Member

As we face the new normal during the COVID-19 pandemic, it can be challenging to understand what role our faith and spirituality play. Many have found their faith and spirituality tested without direction. people are relying more on their faith and spirituality during this pandemic than ever before, when things happen that are beyond our comprehension or beyond our control, we search for the deeper meanings of life.