• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Spontaneous OBE's

Ljbellus

The main reason I joined this forum was because my son is experiencing OBE's. He was around 9 when he first came running into my bedroom, jumped into my bed and told me what had just happened to him.

He explained the classic OBE. As soon as he started talking, I knew exactly what he was talking about, even though it was 4am, and I am not a morning person. I didn't say anything until he stopped talking, but when he did, I thanked him for trusting me enough to tell me, told him I believed him, I also said that nothing bad can happen to him if this happens again. He was fairly freaked out. I have had many spontaneous OBE's myself, so I could understand.

He is now 12 and this has happened 3 times a year since then. At least.

Just wondering if there is any way that I could help him? Any advice? He is a sensitive child. I have suggested that he try and control it, but he is too scared.

If he is scared, it is not a good condition to leave the body consciously. I would advice to overcome the fears first, even if it takes years and years. Fear can attract unpleasant experiences.

Thank you Firefly for your response. I appreciate it! I agree that if he is scared, it's not a positive thing.

I have tried to talk him out of being scared, and every time he still says that he doesn't want it to happen again. Too scary! I have just reiterated that he is completely safe while this is happening. Perhaps when he is older, he will be less scared. I hope this happens.

I know, my youngest son is extremely scared too.
He even recalls one time, when he was scared leaving his body, and said that he knew I was standing behind him (!!!!! I have no conscious memory of this, but he is very sure about it), but it didn't take away his fear that time. Part of his fear was just exactly me being able to stand next to him, while I was supposed to sleep in my bed.

Something that may help is to assist him in learning to build a shield of light, design a safe meditation room/garden in his mind that he owns completely, or call on his angels/guardians/deceased family who love him/higher self/your spiritual presence. Remember, this is his free choice. It must be something/one he truly believes can protect him. If he wants assistance, it is available to him.

Basically, instead of focusing on the OBE, the experience immediately causes him to direct his attention to a safe space or entity that helps him feel protected and in control of the situation. Telling him that he doesn't need to be afraid isn't going to work. That's just words. Teach him how to face his fear with the only thing that can fight it. Love. Once he is calm, he can actively choose to return to his body. Eventually, he won't even leave because the first notion of departure will instantly trigger his habit of staying in his body.

But the first step is to create a series of actions he can consciously follow that will enable him to feel safe, remember he owns himself, and choose where he wants to be. And if you can find a physical token to help him remember, that will be even better. You can use anything from a stuffed animal to a small pebble. What it is doesn't matter. It's simply a symbol to remind him of what he is learning to do that he will eventually outgrow.

Also, remind him to fill his space and own himself and his thoughts. Does he know who he is and what parts of his daily choices are because he chooses them, and which he does out of consideration for others? Can he stand up for himself and his beliefs, even if he's standing up against your frustration? Does he take responsibility for his choices and recognize he is chosing even when he feels provoked? Developing these habits will help him anchor himself. Attitudes and beliefs that give away his power, identity, and choices to others make him more susceptible to random influences and lower his shields.

Grounding might help. Touching and really feeling a blanket, bedpost, or fluffy pillow.Climbing trees. Standing in the sun. Eating, too. He might try keeping something like dried fruit next to him and take a bite when he starts floating out. Being creative can be very grounding, so long as it's tactile creativity. Anything from cleaning to painting will help.

Thank you for your reply Mere Dreamer. I do appreciate your time.

The son I am talking about is a twin. He has a twin brother(not identical, but very similar looking most people think they are identical). There is probably some twin stuff going on. He is sensitive and always thinking of his brother. I hardly ever get frustrated with him, but he will stand up for himself, if I do, and he's right. He still sleeps with his teddy(don't judge!), while his twin brother gave his up years ago.

I think him being a twin has given away his power, definitely his identity and his choices too. Thus lowering his shields. Thank you for making me see that.

His brother has never experienced an OBE, well, not to my knowledge.

Does he like to read? Get him some books on the subject. Have you ever heard of Dr. Raymond Moody? He wrote the first books on NDE/OBE in the 1970s. Danion Brinkley I think is another more recent one. His happened when he was struck by lightning. I think most OBEs happen as NDE. I currently know an 80 year old woman who has been having OBE since she was little. She said her grandmother was able to do it also. So it maybe inherited.

Wow Firefly! That must be have been scary for your son.

Thanks, Argonne, I will buy him some books and see if that helps. Thanks for the recommendations.

I believe that it has been inherited. In my family I know of four people. My brother, my niece, myself and my son. All of us without trying and all of us had our first experience around 9-10 years old. It seems a bit too coincidental.

How's your son now?

If still persist, give him a cuddly bear hug & a kiss before bed, and while hugging his plushie & u lay with him & hug him from back. Tell him to repeat your words 3-7 times
"Tonight, I will sleep tight with no DREAM that I will come out of my body. Even if I dream that, it was just a dream ', nothing more & I will immediately fall asleep again peacefully in my bed with mommy's love & plushie.
I will rest well until my wake up time at e.g. 6 AM" then kiss him again before u leave

Giving him a hug is to make him secure, giving him a kiss to make him feel loved, ask him to hug his plushie, so he feels he has friend & feel confidence, laying with him for a while, giving him bond & more securities. Repeating your words 7x is for his subsconscious to record & remember to stay asleep, even if he has OBE, as every of us does, but we just don't remember. Remind the subconscious to stay sleep till 6 AM to create biological clock, not to wake up earlier.

If I don't want OBE, I just tell myself, "tonight my mind & i will be right here in my body sleeping & wont remember anything when I wake up". But since he is still little, it's good to give him another wording to comfort him & not to fear.

Last edited:
My son is doing well now. I have given him some books to read and they seem to have made him less scared. He is still a bit worried about it happening again, which I totally understand, but it hasn't happened for a few months now. I want him to always feel safe and to recognize that this ability is actually a gift and not a curse. We are slowly getting there.

I

It's good to hear.

Once he understand better, u might be able to explain. For now, he can program his mind that way, so he stays. But he still can reprogram anytime when he is ready

I dunno what age would b proper for him to explore this etheric world.
Kids seem live in their own fantasy world, I think it might not suit if he is too young, or at least once they are grounded

Back