Stephen Hawking Thoughts about God

Discussion in 'Reincarnation, Religion and Spirituality' started by stardis, Sep 5, 2010.

1. stardis

stardis Senior Registered

Just something I was thinking about and thought I would share these personal thoughts with you.

Upon reading Stephen Hawking's thoughts about God and the Universe and the reaction to them, I felt inclined to get The Story of Philosophy by Will Durant from the bookshelf and read about the philosopher Baruch Spinoza. Strangely, I had years ago bookmarked the very spot that I was looking for with a paper bookmark quoting a Bible verse and so it was easy to find.

Will Durant is a wonderful writer and reading him is a joy no matter the subject, but he seems to have a particular fondness for Spinoza. Near the end of the chapter on Spinoza, Durant wrote this, quoting the poet William Wordsworth (from the poem Tintern Abbey),
    That just kind of sums up my thoughts on God in a most beautiful way.

If I may quote a little bit more from the book; this is Durant explaining Spinoza in his Treatise on Religion and the State
    I imagine that would just kind of sum up Hawking's thoughts about God and the Universe. Really, it does mine also - Spinoza, Wordsworth, Durant - they are bright lights in the world. Reading the words of the really great thinkers gives you hope that one day people will see that the cycle of birth and rebirth are just natural consequences of the nature of the universe and not just a sentence that we labor under, but instead it is just part of who or what we are.

Not wishing to start a religious discussion, does anyone else see a theme that runs through philosophy, science and inspired literature that speaks about the nature of our reality or reincarnation.

2. David1970

David1970 Rob

Thanks for the quotes. Right now, I'm reading The God Theory by Bernard Haisch. I vlogged about it today on my youtube channel. It's really worth reading, expressing many of the same thoughts you've posted here on this thread.

~Rob

3. stardis

stardis Senior Registered

Thank you, David. I haven't read The God Theory but I will send off for a copy (I am so tempted to get one of those Kindles).

I think that the statement by Bernard Haisch that God is experiencing the universe through us, is a belief that a lot of us hold in common.

I often think that "enlightenment" is the realization that we are all sparks of the same flame. It is easier to love others when we realize that their true nature is the same as ours - a perfect Being of Light spun off by the Original Consciousness.

When I was a cabinetmaker in the 70's, I absolutely loved everything about the Shakers - their philosophy, creativity, devotion to God and I was always intrigued by their idea of all of us making the conscious decision to return to the Godhead. Of course now, being a bit wiser, I realize that all of us returning to the Source is not in the game plan - at least for now - and the gathering of experience is probably what it is all about. I really think that when we are not in the physical world, we are perfectly aware of who we are and what the purpose of our existence is.

Has The God Theory been an influence on your thinking about reality or does it reinforce what you have more-or-less always felt inside?

(Just between us. When I was a small boy, I didn't believe that the physical world that we could experience was real. I actually believed that everything was a pattern of energy and that we supplied the reality of our world when we looked at the objects around us, even the atmosphere. For instance, a tree was an energy that wasn't actually a solid tree until we saw it as a tree. Even now, I marvel at how solid and wonderfully textured the tree trunk is when I run my hands on it. I see everything as real and solid objects now, of course. And yes, people did think that I was a goofy child and if people occasionally think that now, they don't say it to my face.)

4. dlorde

dlorde Senior Registered

Interesting. Last Wednesday I went to the Royal Albert Hall in London to hear Stephen Hawking talk about his life and introduce the concepts in his latest book ('The Grand Design'), and he was at pains to point out that he was dealing with the ideas of scientific determinism, and his occasional use of the term 'God' (e.g. 'knowing the mind of God') euphemistically referred to the universe and how it works.

His view of the anthropomorphic God(s) of the great religions seems much the same as Laplace's when teased by Napolean about the absence of God in his great work 'Me'chanique ce'leste' - "Sire, I did not need that hypothesis."

'The Grand Design' introduces M-theory, a cluster of related theories in which the physics (and the maths behind it) suggests that universes, including our own, arise spontaneously from 'nothing' (whatever that is q6gif), so rendering a creator entity superfluous.

It may or may not be good physics - as I understand it, M-theory is, as yet, unfalsifiable - but it doesn't really satisfy the emotional appetite, and without an understanding of the physics, I guess Occam's Razor applies - the universe 'arising from nothing' trumps 'God did it', but feels a somewhat hollow victory. The brain is apparently wired for a propensity to believe in something more...

5. dlorde

dlorde Senior Registered

That's not so far from how some aspects of 20/21sth century physics see the structure of reality at the smallest scale, but that scale is way smaller than it would be reasonable to expect intuition to be able to sense (and far more weird). It sounds like you had some feeling for how your brain integrates the raw data from the senses into perceptions and constructs a working model of the outside world...

6. Jody

Jody Senior Registered

I was reading a Shirley Maclaine book the other day (Sage-ing while Age-ing) -- she wrote that she knew Stephen Hawking and he had shared with her that he was open to the idea of reincarnation, even the possibility that he was Galileo in a past life. Hawking was born on January 8th, 1942, 300 years to the day after Galileo died. I did a search on the Internet and he is quoted as saying, ""Reincarnation is a possibility to be taken seriously."

7. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Registered

It comes as a welcome surprise to me that Hawking has admitted to his own position regarding reincarnation. Such an admission could be the death knell of any scientist's career.

8. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

Oh I hope so. ;)

9. usetawuz

usetawuz Senior Registered

I thought Steven Hawking recently discussed his belief of the non-existence of an afterlife...I know this thread was originated before that comment, but it seems contrary to his latter statement.

10. Arrant

Arrant Senior Registered

He has indeed stated his belief in the non-existence of an afterlife (and a deity) - in a BBC TV science documentary I made reference to in my earlier thread, "Everything adds up to zero?"

Maybe he's just confused...?

11. Kristopher

Kristopher Senior Registered

"Reincarnation is a possibility to be taken seriously." - Stephen Hawking

12. Pyrosfuel

Pyrosfuel Senior Registered

Ill put my spin on reincarnation. I don't have any quotes just personal beliefs on past lives, and expiriences.

I believe the soul yerns to learn what it doesn't know or understand. So regardless of what we already knew this information will come back to us in the after life if we don't already recall it from this one. There are certainly those who have those memories if they call for them.

That being said look at how war has changed, it whent from sticks and stones to automatic rifles never to be revisited... If a warrior in the past life is interested enough to expirience this new form of war, his soul will be set for it. Anyone see where I'm going with this?

I believe if I have had a past life my soul has been set to cause global unity, my soul seems to be calling for this reason, I also believe warriors end wars, cowards start them. I think I will make that my own parsonal phrase, for I believe a peaceful warrior as myself could prevent wars without a single drop of shed.

I believe I put these destinies for myself in motion before I even came back to earth, do we lose our way sometimes? Yes!!! But we have the power to put ourselves back on track.

13. BriarRose

BriarRose Senior Registered

I like your concept of a "peace warrior", Pyro. I am not so sure that the remnants of humanity won't find themselves back to "sticks and stones", someday.

14. Deborah

I like what you said Pyro about putting oneself back on track. Nicely said.

Great quote Kristopher :)

15. littlesister

littlesister New Member

OMG heartfelt thanks to all of you. I always felt like such a weirdo until I came here to this forum. I always felt so out of step knowing even as a little kid that the things I pondered were far removed from the typical kids games and childhood cares.

I always pondered about life, death, the soul and god...not to say I was a boringly serious child-far from it-but I knew in my heart that certain things were not easily shared.

So thank you guys- for being like me-a thoughtful bunch.

I'm so relieved!

little sister

16. argonne1918

argonne1918 Senior Registered

Many of us here had similar childhoods. I always felt like an adult trapped in a child's body. When we had company at our house I always wanted to sit in on the adult conversations instead of playing outside with the other kids.

17. Deborah

Anyone care to add comments or new thoughts by SH?

18. Lynnette

Lynnette New Member

I am going to throw a deliberate spanner in here if that's okay and get some discussion moving LOL Well, posts like this do get me thinking!

If we really sit and think about it, it seems there honestly is no argument regarding past life existence. Or the divisions in most religions for that matter, either.

From the scientists' point of view, all matter is energy, isn't it. We are made up of cells, each aspect of which is fundamentally some element of energy. And energy cannot be lost or gained. Only shifted around from place to place. So, when we die, what happens to all the cells, all the energy we are made of? When our physical bodies decompose, it will enter the earth, the water, the atmosphere, and become incorporated into further life... We become reincarnated into further life and become one with other living nations. (Thus fulfilling the tenant of Buddhism and Native beliefs... I think...?).

And if God is the creator, unto whom, according to Christianity and Islam, we shall return, then, by dispersing and re-incorporating into creation, or the world around us, we are therefore effectively returning unto him, are we not?

This then fulfils the ideas of the spiritualists and shamans and pagans (I think...?) who consider the idea that there is no separate God. Only the Great Spirit, the Source, Mother Nature etc. So, in a roundabout kind of way, if by returning to creation, we are returning unto the Creator, then the Creator must be Creation??

(I am starting to get myself a little lost and tangled now, and forgotten where I was originally heading too...! ;) So, I shall leave the floor and bow out now...

19. Rocky Rose

Rocky Rose Member

When we have family gatherings, I always find hanging out with the men better then the women...And at a young age I was really mature for my age and one of our neighbor's relatives who taught college English said I was writing well above my grade level (then 8th grade and back then it was historical fiction.)

Then again- depending on the conversations, nowadays it's better just playing with the kids because the half of the adults expect me to get a job, when I'm still unsure and to be honest, I'm a bit scared getting a job is gonna ruin me and I'll never have time to myself, doesn't help that I don't really work well under pressure, and I get overwhelmed in certain social situations....so..

Sorry if I went off the original topic.. OMG