Strange feelings - memories of a past life?

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Athenais, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Athenais

Athenais New Member

Hello. I'm new here and I don't know if reincarnation is the right explanation for what I've experienced. I've loved everything about France ever since I was a little girl and I speak French like a native. I go to France every year and I feel every time as if I were returning home. Paris is my favorite place in the world and I love being there. However, there are certain places in Paris which make me feel awful without any logical explanation. These places are firmly linked in my mind with a certain time period. For instance, the area around the Petit Palais and Grand Palais make me feel literally sick. In my mind this feeling is somehow related to the first decades of the 20th century. I had a panic attack the first time I went there. Hotel-Dieu near Notre Dame also makes me feel sad.
    On the other hand, I feel extremely happy when walking in the Marais, on the Ile Saint Louis and I'm ecstatic in Versailles. Every time I go to Versailles it feels like a homecoming. I adore 18th century art and I'm obssessed with the French aristocracy in the 17th and 18th century. I have a very happy feeling when I think about the period from around 1720 to 1750. I feel as if it was a very happy time for me on a personal level. I don't have enough words to express the love I feel for the palaces, the art and the literature of this period. It makes me unbelievably happy just to look at a palace or a painting from 18th century France. I find it funny that I'm more passionate about buildings, paintings and long-gone people than about real people. In my daily life I don't talk about this and I don't share this interest with anybody in my family or my circle of friends.
    Another weird feeling I have is related to life in the 1870s in the area around Montmartre. I feel sad, depressed and hopeless when I think about that time and when I go to certain places in Montmartre. I'm a Christian and I'm not at all sure about reincarnation, but I keep an open mind and I realize that Christianity and reincarnation are not mutually exclusive. I'm a rational being always looking for explanations and I've tried to understand my feelings. I'm thinking maybe I'm remembering feelings from past lives, as a female courtier in the 18th century and as a poor woman in 1870s Montmartre. Or maybe I have genetic memories or abilities that allow me to get somehow in touch with the feelings of other people from the past. What do you think?

2. Overseas

Overseas Senior Registered

Hi Athenais and welcome!

This sure looks like past life memories to me.

About abilities to get in touch with feelings from other people from the past...mmh...there was a member here who had the same consideration (can't find the thread at the moment). Maybe that's not impossible, but I think it's rather a big exception. Unless you are a very sharp receiving person it's definitely more probable they are memories of your own past lives, because such memories are much more common. Hope this helps, good luck with your further search :thumbsup:

3. Susie

Susie Dreamer-former moderator

Athenais,

Welcome. You are having strong feelings regarding places. I would most certainly pay attention to this. I would also keep a journal of your impressions.

I'm looking forward to reading more as time goes on.

4. Truthseeker

Truthseeker Former Moderator

Hello Athenais and welcome.

Thank you sharing. How you feel is not uncommon. If you look around the forum I'm sure you'll find that there are many who have strong feelings toward times, places, and cultures that are foreign to their current life. These are often strong indicators of a past life. It sounds like in your case you are getting indications of more than one life in France. I myself remember two lifetimes in France. One of them I was a French aristocrat in the late 18th century.

No, Christianity and reincarnation do not have to be exclusive of each other. Reincarnation was believed in by many early Christians but it was removed from Church teaching for political reasons starting with the Council of Nicea in 325 AD. Belief in reincarnation did not officially become an act of heresy until the Second Council of Constantinople in 553 AD.

*Note that I am not a historian and if anyone finds any error in this, feel free to correct me. : angel

5. ChrisR

ChrisR Administrator Staff Member Super Moderator

Hi Athenais, welcome to the forum :)

I would agree with the others and say that your passion for all things French does sound very much like it originates from a past life, or lives.

Have you ever considered a regression or meditation to perhaps uncover a possible past life? There are many ways you can do this, from making an appointment with a regression therapist, to trying it yourself with an audio regression cd. We can advise you on either of these methods.

Hope you enjoy the discussions here.

Chris :)

6. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Registered

Hi Athenais! And welcome to the Forum.

Long before I entertained thoughts of reincarnation, I've always felt it strange that certain places made me feel uneasy, while other locations spoke loudly of "HOME" to me. Reincarnation has appeared to be the only plausible reason for this. So, I would agree with everyone here that those feelings you have are very likely memories that are welling up from past lives. When you meditate, it may be a good idea to think about one of those happy places in France, and see what happens.

-Nightrain