Suggested Meditation Techniques

Discussion in 'FAQ' started by Deborah, Jun 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2014
  2. Kelly

Kelly Administrator Emeritus

Healing Habits and Phobias

Many people who have undergone regression therapy, have in turn, been able to overcome formed habits, negative cycles, elimination of phobias that may have been plaguing them since childhood - and in some cases, even remission from disease or an illness. So whether the visualisations, images and memories that emerge during these sessions are considered to be “real” or not, by any human or scientific definition – the fact remains that the cycles and negative patterns of behaviour cease – bringing about healing and positive results to the previous problems that the individual was experiencing.

Just for clarification purposes:

[/QUOTE]

3. Carol

Carol Author

What about regressions by the untrained?

I know that many people "experiment" with self regression, having no experience other than following the example in books or from CD's. If they are lucky, they have some experience which might be beneficial, or a fragment of a past life comes through that is interesting. And, if they are really lucky, they gain some insight or actually resolve something in their present lives.

I have also heard from people who are not trained who do regressions with others and get backed into a corner when they run into some difficult material (trauma) in the past life or PRESENT life and aren't quite sure what to do with it. That might cause some problems when you leave someone hanging with images, feelings, and even body sensations that they can't process or are uncomfortable for them.

My feeling is that past life regression can be very powerful in accessing unconscious material. If you run into something that relates to trauma in this life or a past life, you better know what to do to help the person move through it. If not, it's like leaving an open wound that might need suturing; it might heal on it's own or become worse.

I've had clients come to me who said they worked with a past life regressionist who cut the session off mid-way because they were out of time. Or, they go through a past life experience without processing the death or trauma. I think that's irresponsible, unprofessional, and not helpful to the client.

There are certain aspects of a regression that need to be considered and worked with: understanding trance states, getting to the heart of the past life story, processing the thoughts and feelings around the death, sometimes re-framing the experience while in an altered state, and making the connections between the past life and present life. We do this so the client can "make peace" with the past life, forgive others or self, and release emotional and physical impressions from that life so they can let it go. By missing some of these steps, you may not resolve anything, and could make things worse by opening up the issue and not showing the client a way through.

If you want to explore past lives yourself, great. Read about it. Try it through meditation or with one of the CD's out on the market now. Often the best past life material comes up spontaneously in dreams or waking visions. These sponteanous experiences can actually heal us and give us great insight, and often prompt us to want to explore more.

Past life regression with others involves techniques that have been developed by therapists over the last 40 years or so here in the West. If you are going to regress others, you should know the territory first and be ready to take some responsibility for what happens when you start exploring the unconscious.

These are my feelings about the issue. I speak from 18 years of experience working with myself and others.

Carol

4. Carol

Carol Author

Interested in becoming a regression therapist?

I really encourage people to have some background in hypnosis and past life regression before they attempt working with other people. It is preferable to have some counseling training, too. Past life regression can be a powerful tool, so you have to be ready for anything that might come up.

I suggest that people get some basic hypnotherapy training first. Check the web for programs. I know there is a National Guild of Hypnotists and other organizations that offer training.

Some of my friends and colleagues offer trainings, specifically in past life regression. Here are their websites:

Roger Woolger

www.Henrybolduc.com

www.BrianWeiss.com

Society for Spiritual Regression (google it) is Michael Newton's organization; they train in Michael's LBL (life between life) regression techniques. They require at least two years of experience doing past life regression before you can attend a training. (Check on that.)

Those are trainings I am familiar with and trust. Each program has its own requirements.

I believe it is necessary to experience a series of past life regressions oneself to learn the territory. That's an essential part of training.

Beyond that, it's practice, practice, practice. The real questions arise after you start doing regressions and realize what you don't know. There's always something new to learn, new territory to explore. So it's important to have mentors or a back-up organization to help you as these questions arise. So on-going training is important.

If I think of anything more, I'll add it to the list.

Carol

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2014
  5. Carol

Carol Author

Can we get stuck in another time?

I don't know if anyone can really get stuck in another time period, as in what we think of time travel in a time machine. However, you can get stuck in the emotions of the past life, which is, in a way, getting stuck in the past life. Many of us are stuck in that way, whether we realize it or not.

A trained past life therapist knows how to get you to move through the story and feelings of the past life to help you release emotions, thoughts, and even physical symptoms that have settled in the body. Because these memories really do manifest in so many ways, on so many levels.

If anyone knows of a real case of someone getting stuck in a different time period, let me know.

By the way, I highly recommend Anya Seton's novel, Green Darkness. It is an incredible fictional work about past lives and getting stuck in a different time period.

Carol

6. Deborah

About Regressions

Carol has suggested the work of Henry Bolduc to me several times so I searched for his website. He has wonderful links and some interesting information. I appreciate the way he presents his findings and how he approaches his work. I see why Carol does as well. :)

Here are some extracts from his regression information page

He isn't someone we hear a lot about - but I think we should. So here is the link to his site Henry Bolduc ....My hats off to him... what a great job.

7. Deborah

I found an interesting page on his site this morning - that talks about the Shakers and hypnosis. It is titled The Gift To Be Simple -

Simplicity in Hypnosis Work

He talks about their "work" ethic and applications of self hypnosis; The simplicity of their life style and how regressionists should apply some of their concepts. I have never heard reference to the Shakers before with regard to hypnosis, and I find it interesting that Henry Bolduc makes such a comparison.

8. Deborah

9. Carol

Carol Author

Sometimes it takes weeks, months, or years to integrate the information that comes up during a regression. If you delve into a particularly emotionally and thematically charged lifetime, it may not be possible to process it or understand it fully at that time. Layers of meaning and emotion can bubble up to awareness later and give you those moments of great understanding.

I've re-visited one of my highly charged lifetimes several times, focusing on different elements of that life that need to be addressed. It didn't all come up at once, but played itself out in my real life over years.

Carol

10. Carol

Carol Author

Benefit to working with a trained professional?

I do think that if you do a regression with someone who has experience, and really knows the past life territory, they can lead you through the pl experience, and help you "connect the dots" in ways that might not be apparent for you. Also, and I think this is important, there is great healing power while you are in an altered state of consciousness (as you are in a pl regression), and a skilled therapist can take you to healing places you may not be able to readily access on your own.

I am always amazed at the healing that takes place after going through a past life death. In this state, which is an altered state within an altered state, different healing energies are available to us. A skilled therapist can "open the door" to these energies that you might not be aware of, or simply can't access easily on your own. I'm not saying that this can't happen spontaneously, but it happens frequently during regression sessions.

So sometimes just experiencing a snippet of a past life may not be enough to ease the past life trauma. There is a process of understanding, forgiveness (not always), and release that occurs when you go completely through the experience, through the past life death, and enter that wonderful disembodied state of higher consciousness where the healing is available.

Carol

11. Carol

Carol Author

I do think that it is best to have a background in counseling, psychology, or social work to be an effective past life therapist. (Although there are those who have no graduate degrees and are very effective in doing past life regression.)

I began my training in hypnotherapy and past life regression first, then saw that I wanted to have a broader foundation in counseling and psych, so I went back to graduate school and got a master's degree in counseling. I'm glad that I did.

Not everyone practicing past life regression has a background in counseling and psychology. Most of the training programs that I am aware of don't require that. In my opinion, it is helpful to you and the client to have the additional training in traditional techniques.

I also think that it's necessary to screen clients before working with them. I routinely ask questions about a client's background before I set up an appointment. I want to know what their expectations are (if they're realistic), if they have had any major trauma in their background (abuse, losses), and if they are taking medication for anxiety or depression. I have turned people away because I thought that past life regession was not appropriate for them. That's when experience is important, too.

This is my recommendation for anyone who is interested in pursuing this line as a serious profession.

Carol

12. Ailish

Ailish Administrator Emerita

Suggested Meditation Techniques

The practice of past-life regression is becoming more widely accepted among people around the globe. Many individuals are interested in the benefits of past life regression and how it can assist them in healing past hurts to lead a more fulfilling life in the present moment.

Here are some common questions and answers about regression:

- Does Carol Bowman schedule new clients for a regression?

Carol does accept new clients, however her availability is limited. You can contact her by email at carol@carolbowman.com for more information. Alternately, if your child is experiencing past life memories Carol is available to hear your story and offer advice. Simply email her at the aforementioned address and mention the key details. Please note that Carol does not regress children under eleven years old.

To read more about Carol and her thoughts about regression, please visit her website at the Past Life Center.

- What qualities should I look for in a regression therapist?

• The regressionist should be able to provide the client with an atmosphere of caring and trust, and you should be able to establish rapport fairly quickly with this person. You want to be comfortable with them.
    • Choose a qualified professional with experience. There are people who are not credentialed therapists who can regress others, however the issue in choosing someone without the proper training is that if highly emotional and/or disturbing memories are produced, the unqualified therapist has not been trained to assist the patient in achieving resolution and closure in a therapeutic manner.

- What kind of questions should I ask when making my first appointment?

• Ask what experience and training they have.
    • Ask for references.
    • Ask what sort of methods they use.
    • Ask how long a session runs.
    • Ask what to expect during a session. Each therapist operates differently, regardless of their training.
    • Ask if they take notes or record the sessions.
    • Ask what the cost per session is and find out about acceptable methods of payment prior to your session.
    • Ask if there is anything you need to prepare or do before your first session.

- What are the benefits of past life regression?

Carol lists the following as being advantageous to individuals pursuing regression therapy as a course of healing:

• See personal relationships in a new light
    • Energize talents and abilities from the past
    • Release fears and anxieties linked to past life traumas
    • Release past life traumas at the root of physical problems
    • Experience the transitional states of death and beyond
    • Understand and align with life purpose

13. Ailish

Self-Hypnosis for Holistic Healing - Exercise Included

Holistic healing has always fascinated me, so when I came across this article, naturally I became interested.

Henry Leo Bolduc states the following:

Henry offers an exercise for everyone to try - stating that in the following script, the inner mind is engaged for a dual purpose:

- "Imagination is employed to manifest positive outcomes in the areas of physical health, emotional fulfillment, financial balance, and spiritual harmony."

- "The profound depth and wisdom of the inner mind is tapped for inspiration and information to maximize the use of those talents that will be most helpful in healing all areas of life."

He says that "repeated use of this self-hypnosis approach will integrate the various parts of life and heal the whole person."

To read the article in its entirety, please click here.

To continue with the exercise, please see the posts below.

I'm curious to hear about your experiences with holistic self-hypnosis.

Aili

14. Ailish

Exercise - Part One

15. Ailish

Exercise - Part Two

16. alaskanlaughter

alaskanlaughter Senior Registered

Thank you for sharing that. I would love to try things like that but I never have.

17. W.A. HEART

W.A. HEART Senior Registered

Thanks Aili! Loved reading it - and will definitely try it as soon as I have some time..... :rolleyes:

18. Ailish

Simple Past Life Meditation Technique

Here is one past life meditation technique I found online. It's very similar to some of the basic guided regressions that are available. Remember not to become discouraged if you have trouble with this exercise, it does take practice and patience!

1. This meditation will last roughly about 30 minutes, you will want to get in a comfortable position that you can maintain for this length of time.

2. Begin by closing your eyes, and take three deep breaths. Fill your lungs with air to their fullest capacity.

3. With each exhale, imagine a white light entering your body. Visualize this white light running through your body from the top to the bottom ridding your body of all stress and negativity.

4. Keeping your eyes closed, visualize your pituitary gland. This is the small gland found at the middle of the forehead, right above the brow. This is said to be your third eye, and the door to your higher consciousness. Keep focused on this point.

5. Visualize a brightly lit tunnel, while keeping your focus on your third eye, imagine your spirit leaving your body and entering into this tunnel.

6. As you enter the tunnel you come across a glass door. With each step closer, you feel more relaxed and at peace, you feel uplifted and connected to the universe.

7. As you approach the door, they automatically open and invite your soul into this realm of enlightenment. Beyond the doors your spiritual sanctuary awaits.

8. Now open the door and go inside.

9. Begin to imagine your spiritual self conducting a spiritual meditation. As you relax, you arrive deeper into the spiritual realm. As you inhale, mentally say to yourself "I have arrived" and as you exhale " I am home".

10. Imagine your higher self closing your third eye and reopening it.

11. ( Your eyes still closed) Take a moment to explore your surroundings with your third eye. What do you see? Be sure to keep your mind free of any distracting thoughts. Allow any visualizations or memories from the past life to naturally manifest. Don't worry if you do not notice anything the first time this takes practice.

12. Take in a deep breath, begin to feel your body, become more and more aware of your surroundings, have a nice long and hard stretch, then open your eyes.

Remember to keep a journal close by to document your experiences as soon as you can - and with as much detail as you're able to. You never know - the smallest thing can lead to an incredible validation :)

Article Source: EzineArticles Rin Otori

19. Ailish

Concentration Exercise

"Concentration is the secret key to a whole world of possibilities, enabling you to keep out distractions and focus on attaining your life goals. In addition it is an absolute prerequisite if you want to learn the art of meditation, as it helps ‘clear the road’ of any mental obstacles. However if anything the average concentration span is decreasing as life gets busier and busier and the world becomes filled with more things to distract and scatter our attention.

Here is one very easy-to-learn concentration exercise which was taught to me by my meditation teacher Sri Chinmoy. It can reap tremendous rewards in terms of clarity, productivity and efficiency in your life, and it can be done with just a few minutes practise every day. People commonly view concentration as purely a mental exercise; but here we are also going use our heart centre, that space in our chest we point to when we say ‘me’ – helping to take some of the burden away from our tension filled minds." - Nirbhasa Magee

Requirements:

An object of concentration – best is to use a candle or flower, but you can even use a dot on the wall.

Method:

• In this exercise, we will use the candle, although you can adapt the exercise to whatever object you are using. Sit with your back straight, and place the burning candle at eye level.
      First bring your awareness to your breath. Gradually your breath becomes slower and more relaxed. Try to imagine a thread placed in front of our nose; you are breathing so quietly it will not move to and fro.
    • Now we look at the object. Gradually bring your attention to a tiny part of the candle flame, for example, the very tip of the flame.
    • When you breathe in, feel that your breath, like a golden thread, is coming from that point on the candle and entering into your heart. And when you breath out, feel that your breath, feel that the light is leaving the heart, passing through a point in your forehead between the eyebrows and a little above (in Eastern philosophy this is a powerful concentration point) and then entering into the object of concentration. Try to feel that nothing else exists except you and the object you are focusing on.
    • When you do this exercise, thoughts will invariably get in the way. When this happens, don’t be annoyed or upset, just bring your attention back to the exercise. Rome wasn’t built in a day, and similarly it will take time to rein in your mind.
    • You can go one step further, and use your power of concentration to identify with the object’s existence. Try to feel on the inbreath that the existence of the flame, and the qualities it embodies such as radiance, serenity and aspiration, are entering into you and becoming part of your own existence. On the outbreath, feel that your existence is expanding and spreading out from the centre of the chest and entering into the candle. In this way, you concentrate on the object to such an extent that you feel no separation between you and the object; your existence has expanded to include the candle. In this way you can identify ourself with the entire world.

Start off with a modest goal – i.e. 3-5 minutes a day, and then gradually increase with time. After only a couple of weeks of doing this exercise, you should notice the progress – a clearer mind, better ability to cope with tasks, less stress, more serenity.

20. Ailish

Visualization Exercise - The Heart Rose

“The Heart-rose. Kindly imagine a flower inside your heart. Suppose you prefer a rose. Imagine that the rose is not fully blossomed; it is still a bud. After you have meditated for two or three minutes, please try to imagine that petal by petal the flower is blossoming. See and feel the flower blossoming petal by petal inside your heart. Then, after five minutes, try to feel that there is no heart at all; there is only a flower inside you called ‘heart’. You do not have a heart, but only a flower. The flower has become your heart or your heart has become a flower.

After seven or eight minutes, please feel that this flower–heart has covered your whole body. Your body is no longer here; from your head to your feet you can feel the fragrance of the rose. If you look at your feet, immediately you experience the fragrance of the rose. If you look at your knee, you experience the fragrance of the rose. If you look at your hand, you experience the fragrance of the rose. Everywhere the beauty, fragrance and purity of the rose have permeated your entire body."

“Just as you can concentrate on the tip of your finger, or on a candle or any other material object, you can also concentrate on your heart. You may close your eyes or look at a wall, but all the time you are thinking of your heart as a dear friend. When this thinking becomes most intense, when it absorbs your entire attention, then you have gone beyond ordinary thinking and entered into concentration. You cannot look physically at your spiritual heart, but you can focus all your attention on it. Then gradually the power of your concentration enters into the heart and takes you completely out of the realm of the mind.”

“To reach the spiritual heart you have to feel that you do not have a mind, you do not have arms, you do not have legs, you have only the heart. Then you have to feel you do not have the heart, but that you are the heart. When you can feel that you are the heart and nothing else, then easily you will be able to reach your spiritual heart during your meditation.”

Extracts from Meditation by Sri Chinmoy

Key points of exercise

* Visualise the flower clearly at the beginning.

* Bring the flower into your Heart Centre; identify with it so you do not feel any separation from it.

Purpose of this exercise

* To find your spiritual heart centre.

* To start the gradual process of opening your spiritual heart centre

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.