That Unreal Feeling I Can't Explain

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Dana, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Dana

Dana A Nazi Soldier

It's hard to explain but anyway....

Do any of you feel like that there are times that suddenly things around you feel unreal? Like for some reason everything feels like it's a dream but you know that you're awake? It's like everything that is familiar to you feels foreign all of a sudden...

I don't know if it's just me or what. Do you guys have any idea about this feeling?

2. Petrichor

Petrichor Member

Could it be dissociation you're talking about? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociation_(psychology)

What you're describing sounds like mild dissociation which pretty much all humans experience sometimes, to some degree. For others it's just a few times in life and for some it's frequent. Sometimes it can also be the first symptom of a panic attack.

For me this feeling is frequent, if not daily at least weekly. For a while I feel like the world isn't real or that I'm not really here. Sometimes it makes me feel like my own voice isn't coming from me or that I'm on "autopilot", I'm acting normally but I feel like I'm not really a part of the reality. I see normally but it's still somehow hard to really "grab" the world around me, mentally.

People's experiences vary from person to person, but everyone I've asked, feels something like this sometimes.

Dana likes this.
  3. Jaimie

Jaimie Senior Member

Yes, I can get this too. For me it is the changing of the environment or that I am highly focused on something else while I then wake up and notice that things are "unreal" around me. Then I am back to normal again :)

4. KenJ

KenJ Assistant Archivist and Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Yes, is a pronounced feeling that lasts and remains in both short and long memory.

Dana likes this.
  5. helz_belz

helz_belz Super Moderators Staff Member Super Moderator

I've had periods of dissociation during stressful times, and it can be pretty scary, very upsetting. Fighting it makes it worse, as it just adds further stress hormones to the situation. Dissociation can and does pass if given time and not giving it the attention that keeps it there. For me, dissociation felt very much like I had stepped out of time, and that everything I was experiencing was just me remembering it from later in my current life. It really was not a pleasant feeling!

At other times, I've felt a different kind of unreality, which isn't upsetting or scary like dissociation. These times of unreality tend to be associated with times when I feel particularly close to spirit and the spiritual. In a way, these times can feel both unreal and hyper-realistic at the same time! I can only think that spirit, not being physical, cannot be fully understood by our physical senses, so when it is close or we are more in tune with it, physical reality does feel a bit less solid. Something else is there, reality as we know it is a little thinner. It's very hard to explain!

Dana likes this.