The Christian Haupt Story

Discussion in 'Children's Past Lives -Age 7 & under' started by autumnleavesnnovember, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director

Fascinating discussion Ken and Sunday. Great debate. My only addition is that Sunday when you say
    What about our experiences?

2. autumnleavesnnovember

autumnleavesnnovember Active Member

First, you, Deborah, and I'm glad to see you finally joining the thread. :) Well, our experiences shape our beliefs, but my experiences might be very different than your experiences. What if they highly conflict about the afterlife? Whose beliefs and experiences are correct and how do we know who is right or wrong? Or, is the afterlife different for everyone, and thus there's no point "debating" it anyway? That's the direction I was going in, but do tell me what you're thinking.

Sunday

3. autumnleavesnnovember

autumnleavesnnovember Active Member

I talked with Carol, about this case before the book, before the internet posts. I need to read it yet to really comment, but IMHO it should have been written by a third unbiased party. Presentation is everything![/QUOTE]

But is wasn't written by an unbiased party. How could it even have been? All someone can do in this case is state if they believe the boy's mother is telling the truth or not. Carol obviously believes her, Jim Tucker wasn't sure what to believe, I don't believe her, others do believe her . . . .

There's just no "evidence" in this case to be proved.

4. GuySittingintheStands

GuySittingintheStands New Member

Hi, Just thought I'd submit my two cents worth after finishing Cathy Byrd's book, reading the comments on this forum, then re-reading Cathy Byrd's book to make sure we were reading the same book. I thought Cathy Byrd knocked it out of the park. She wrote a very readable, very well written, very enjoyable, interesting, and I thought convincing book. Mom, Apple Pie, Baseball, the Flag, and Past Life Regression! Who knew!

As to her critics, some of their comments should be well taken (especially wrt Cathy Byrd's PLR experiences), but I thought other criticisms should not be, especially those of PamelaV, the nurse. Christian's breathing ailments could be and probably should be counted as related to Lou Gehrig's progressive ALS, which, in the end, would paralyze his breathing muscles, so much so, that he ultimately died of asphyxiation, as do most ALS victims. Also note that after Christian had come to terms with his previous identity (Lou Gehrig), his breathing problems, which had plagued his toddler years despite some of the best doctoring in southern California, went away.

But let's say Cathy Byrd made the whole thing up. Let's say she planted the idea in little Christian's head that he was Lou Gehrig in a previous life. Is there any evidence outside of her statements to back up the claim that Christian Haupt was/ is, in fact, Lou Gehrig in a previous life? I submit there is evidence, but probably not the kind some of her critics would accept.

p.23 the incident in Fenway Park where 2 year old Christian begs his mother (Cathy Byrd) to buy him a large photograph of Red Sox greats Ted Williams and Bobby Doerr from 1939, despite the tons of other baseball trinkets for sale. I'm guessing most 2 year olds would have gone for the bobble-heads.

p.97 the incident where 4 year old Christian out of the blue tells Tommy Lasorda (Hall of Fame former manager of the Dodgers) that he (Tommy Lasorda) used to play for the Yankees. Tommy replies, "Yes, son, I used to play for the Yankee organization for one year" a fact that is virtually unknown to even die-hard baseball fans. Either this incident happened or it didn't. But maybe Cathy found out beforehand and planted it into her son's head.

p.98 and ff. the whole relationship between Tommy Lasorda and Christian Haupt starting with Cathy telling Coach Lasorda that Christian "was a big fan of Lou Gehrig. Did you see Lou Gehrig play?" Tommy Lasorda leaned down to Christian and [purportedly] says: "Oh, you picked a good one," he said in a soft voice. "One of the best, he was my hero when I was a kid." He goes on to say that he had actually had dreams as a 15 year old of pitching in Yankee Stadium "with Bill Dickey as my catcher, and Lou Gehrig as my first baseman." It's pretty apparent that Tommy Lasorda idolized the Yankees growing up. Later on Tommy takes a personal interest in Christian's life journey, so much so, that to Christian and the Haupt family, he becomes "Uncle Tommy."

p.106 the similarity in hitting mechanics, Christian's habit of tipping his hat to the fans after scoring a run but before entering the dugout (just like Lou Gehrig), and then, of course, Christian's breathing ailments, that would go away after he came to terms with his previous identity but, tragically, in the end would kill Lou Gehrig, who would slowly be paralyzed by ALS.

p.174 the bizarre coincidence of the ALS ice bucket challenge occurring while Christian was just coming out of his "Lou Gehrig" phase (summer 2014). The challenge raised $115 million and the money used to identify one of the genes contributing to ALS, which hopefully will set the stage for a cure some day.

p.208 and throughout. the close mother son relationship between Cathy Byrd -- who becomes a huge Little League Mom -- and her son Christian, mirroring the mother son relationship between Mom Gehrig -- who would become a huge Little League supporter in Milford, Connecticut after her son's and husband's deaths --
    and Lou. We'll see how this plays out, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

and finally p.220, the incident where Christian and Cathy divert to Tampa Bay (instead of catching a connecting flight in Charlotte, NC) on their way back to California, where, unbeknownst to them, the Tampa Bay Rays were having some sort of ALS awareness day. Of course, Christian and Cathy won the large framed photo of Lou Gehrig that was being raffled off that day for charity. I say "of course" as if something or someone were trying to get our attention.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017 at 8:21 AM
  5. GuySittingintheStands

Couldn't help but update the discussion re Cathy Byrd's book "The Boy Who Knew Too Much" after doing some research for a separate thread in this forum (see Reincarnation Questions under the thread "Does the location of your death influence your next reincarnation?"). I have been trying to show that location may play a part in where one eventually reincarnates, but not in a way you might expect. For readers of my comments in the location thread the focus is about to shift to Teresa Wright, the actress who plays Lou Gehrig's wife in the 1942 movie "The Pride of the Yankees". More specifically, the focus will shift from Eleanor's trips out to Hollywood to make "The Pride of the Yankees" to Teresa Wright's move to the hills above Encino in the San Fernando Valley, to Teresa Wright's move back to New York City in the 1950s after her first divorce, and her subsequent move to Bridgewater, Connecticut between 1960 and 1965 after marrying her second husband in 1959.

Anyway I picked up Cathy's book last night for my third time through and am up to p.139 where she starts writing about her experiences with past life regression. As you'll recall, she does this (with great trepidation) because she really wanted to get to the bottom of her son Christian's remarks that she (Cathy) was his mother from his past life as Lou Gehrig, namely that she (Cathy) was the reincarnation of Christina "Mom" Gehrig. From my own research into the Lou Gehrig story I now know a little more than I did back in August when I first posted my comments above re Cathy Byrd's book.

From "The Boy Who Knew Too Much" (2017):

p. 102 "The [ball] fields where [4-year-old] Christian played baseball were the same fields where I [Cathy Byrd] had played softball as a kid in the 1970s." This practically confirms my supposition that both Cathy and her son were born in or near the Thousand Oaks, California area. Cathy was born in 1967 in Los Angeles County to a single working mom (p.32) and went to high school at Westlake High, Westlake Village, in the southeastern hills of Thousand Oaks. Westlake Village is a sliver of Thousand Oaks that is in Los Angeles County; the rest of Thousand Oaks is in Ventura County. In 1975 she would have been 8 years old. Cathy Byrd is a real estate agent from the Thousand Oaks, California area and has been selling real estate in the Conejo Valley and western San Fernando area since at least the 1990s with her mother, Judy. Cathy also mentions in the book that she has a half-sister (about the same age as her, attended Westlake High together) and that her father is Richard Byrd (Cathy thanks both her parents Richard and Judy Byrd in the acknowledgments section of her book). Cathy doesn't mention when her father Richard Byrd married her mother Judy, or when they split up.

p.125-126 During Cathy's first regression with Jeroen, Cathy (as Mom Gehrig) makes an observation about Lou Gehrig's early NY Yankees uniform that is not supported by fact.
    It's clear from the context that Cathy (as Mom Gehrig) is in the stands at Yankee stadium watching her son Lou play early in his career, from context, his first season with the Yankees as a full time player. It has to be 1925. She is excited because "He's playing the game, so we're gonna watch him. He's new though." (p.125). Cathy says that the scenes she recalls under regression were like "vivid 3-D imagery of what was happening around me, a high-definition virtual reality." (p.125)

p.126 "When Jeroen [the past life regressionist] asked me what the uniform looked like [ie., the uniform of her baseball playing son], I [Cathy being regressed] said my son was wearing a white, pinstripe jersey with the number four . . ."
    Jeroen then asks her (p.127) "How old is your son?"
    [Cathy:] "I blurted, 'Twenty-two" . . .

Comment: As far as the number on the uniform goes, this is an error on Cathy's part. The Yankees did not start wearing numbers on their jerseys until the 1929 season, Lou's fourth season with the Yankees. Lou Gehrig's first regular season with the Yankees was 1925. On June 2, 1925, Lou replaced Wally Pipp at first base, and play regularly in every game from then on for the next 14 years. He would turn 22 years old 17 days later on June 19, 1925.

To be fair, Cathy (as Cathy) is consciously present during the whole regression as an outside observer. It's not like Cathy checks out, and Mom Gehrig takes over. So it's possible that when Jeroen prompts Cathy with a question that Mom Gehrig can't answer in a given scene from her life (Jeroen: "What's the number [on Lou's jersey in 1925]?" , Cathy jumps in with an answer based on her own research, which Mom Gehrig, at that moment in her life, couldn't have known.

p. 130 and the whole I Will Find You chapter. Cathy, during her first regression session with Jeroen, and under Jeroen's direction, has a conversation with her dead son, Lou Gehrig, purportedly in heaven.
    [Jeroen:] "Is Lou there?"
    [Cathy:] "I [now as Christina Gehrig, Lou's mother] nodded and my voice quivered as I described Lou coming toward me to give me a hug."
    [Jeroen:] "Ask, Lou, ask him why he needed to leave this lifetime so early."
    [Cathy:] "I replied, 'Why did you have to leave so early? Why did you leave me? He said, 'I chose this.' "
    [Jeroen:] "Why did he choose it?" [to leave life early].
    [Cathy:] "Lou said, 'Better to have lived.' " [comment: not enough context to interpret what is meant here, but possibly . . . ''than not to have lived." ]
    [Jeroen:] "What else do you want to ask him?"
    [Cathy:] "I said, 'Will I see you again?"
    [Jeroen:] "What does he say?"
    [Cathy:] " ' I will find you,' I said as tears started to roll down my cheeks."
    [Jeroen:] "So what do you feel now?"
    [Cathy:] "Smiling through my tears, I replied, 'I feel like he did find me. In Christian, he did.' "
    [Jeroen:] "He is Christian?"
    [Cathy:] "Yeah."
    [Jeroen:] "So he kept his word?"
    [Cathy:] "Yeah," I replied now laughing through my tears . . ."

Comment: Because I myself am trying to decide how much cred to give to reincarnation case studies in general, and the Christian Haupt story in particular (Cathy's first-hand account is not a case study) I really am trying to stay away from the woo-woo aspects of all this,
    But. Really? When Cathy as Mom Gehrig "sees" "Lou", "in Heaven", is she really seeing him or a vision of him, or what.

In a way, as I'm starting to discover from my research into the Location question, when Cathy (as Mom Gehrig) has "Lou" say "I will find you" (ie., that he, Lou, will find Christina, his mother) she may be right, but not in the way she thinks. It may turn out that they (Lou and his mother) find each other. One scenario (the one I am working on) goes: Lou, post-mortem, goes out to Hollywood in 1941 with Eleanor, his wife, then to the western San Fernando Valley in June 1942 with Teresa Wright, who played his wife in the movie "The Pride of the Yankees" (1942). Mom Gehrig (d. 1954, Milford, Connecticut), post-mortem, goes out to Thousand Oaks, 1963 (as we shall see!). Lou finds his mom (that is, Mom Gehrig) in 1967, in Cathy's birth, in the Thousand Oaks area. I know, weird. But so much of this stuff sounds weird.

p.133-134. Back home in Thousand Oaks, California, Cathy Byrd, during one of those strange past life conversations with her now 5-year-old son, has Christian say:
    " 'She [Eleanor Gehrig, his wife in his previous life as Lou Gehrig] drank alcohol, and there was a lot of yelling, like ["dumb"] Babe Ruth.' "

Comment: No question that Eleanor drank, and smoked, and had a fiery personality, so unlike the Teresa Wright character in the movie "The Pride of the Yankees".
    But Lou also drank (in moderation). Lou loved beer. Lou smoked (they both were constantly sneaking cigarettes). And Lou could get angry on rare occasions whenever he felt he had been unjustly wronged (hinted at early in the movie when Lou as a young fraternity student at Columbia University tears into the head frat boy after he mocks Lou over his initial attempts at talking with a girl). He didn't mind criticism but could not stand unfair criticism. And he could be moody at times. But I think Lou had too much discipline to get drunk (apparently he couldn't handle his alcohol so he would always stop after a couple of drinks), whereas Eleanor could not or would not. This is what I think young Christian means here. Or that Eleanor drank hard liquor and he did not. Much later on in life, in her years of loneliness after the death of her husband (she and Lou didn't have any children and Eleanor never remarried), her lawyer worried that Eleanor might drink herself to death. She had no real friends late in life. At least none that would show up for her funeral in 1984. (to be continued in the following post).

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017 at 8:24 AM
  6. GuySittingintheStands

(continued from the previous post)

p.134 Cathy has 5-year-old Christian say during the same strange past life conversation:
    [Christian:] "Lou should have never married that dumb lady [Eleanor]. She was drunk."

Comment: Whoa, Cathy. Do you really want to have Christian say this? Despite the arguing over the Gehrigs' relationship with Mom Gehrig, the drinking, the occasional yelling, these two [Lou and Eleanor] were crazy in love with each other. And demonstrably so. He often wrote to her when the Yankees were on the road. At the end of at least one letter that he wrote to her, the one he writes from the Book-Cadillac hotel in Detroit, the day after taking himself out of the game with the Tigers and breaking his 2130 game streak because he knew something was seriously wrong with him and that he consequently was hurting the team with his play, he finishes with "I adore you, Sweetheart." (Richard Sandomir, "The Pride of the Yankees" 2017). I'd quote the whole letter, but I don't have a box of tissues nearby.

For their 4th wedding anniversary in Sept 1937, Lou gives Eleanor a diamond and gold bracelet. But its not just any diamond and gold bracelet. Lou had a bracelet made of 17 of his team championships', batting championships', MVP, and All-Star medallions, rings, pins, etc that he has collected over his career with the Yankees. They added to the bracelet over their remaining years together including one souvenir from Lou's foray into Hollywood movies (Jan 1938, as a fictionalized version of himself in an obscure cowboy western movie called "Rawhide" (1938), shot ironically enough, in Thousand Oaks, California.). In a sense he was saying with this gift to her: I love baseball more than life, but I love you even more. In the movie The Pride of the Yankees, the bracelet you see just before the 2 hour mark is the actual bracelet, given by Eleanor to Teresa Wright to wear during filming of The Pride of the Yankees (Passe Richard Sandomir, who writes that it was a bracelet "like" the one Eleanor so prized -- not true according to a June 19, 2003 New York Post interview of Teresa Wright, it was the real thing.) This bracelet plays an instrumental part in the last 10 minutes of the movie as a symbol of Lou and Eleanor's love for one another.

Two days before his death on June 2, 1941, lying on his deathbed surrounded by Eleanor, her mother Nellie, and the attendant doctor, just before he slips into a coma,
    Lou whispers, "My three pals" (his last words). (Richard Sandomir quotes it, but I don't know where reference originally comes from, to be completely transparent).
    And of course, there is the "Luckiest man" address (which was probably written by either Lou or both of them together the night before) where he thanks Eleanor for being the bravest woman he ever knew, and for her strength and courage.

So, sure, the Hollywood movie with Gary Cooper and Teresa Wright goes out of its way to soften and sweeten the relationship, but there is no doubt that the two really did love each other during their brief life together. I could give other examples (especially the Tristan und Isolde reference in Sandomir's book), but I'll stop here.
    So Cathy. Really? But maybe in death Lou chooses between his two "best girls", taking the side of his mother, who died in 1954. Maybe in death, Lou gains some knowledge of how poorly and unfairly Eleanor treated his parents after he died, and turned away from her. Eleanor died alone in 1984 in NYC. (as an interesting side-note, Teresa Wright died March 6, 2005 in New Haven, Connecticut; Eleanor Twitchell Gehrig was born March 6, 1904 and died March 6, 1984.)

p.135. Mom Gehrig being surprised by Lou's death. This is one of the bigger mysteries of the whole Lou Gehrig story: who knew what when. I don't know. Cathy, under regression, has Mom Gehrig saying that she was surprised by her son's death. There is some truth to this. Even after the diagnosis, both Lou and his mother may have been under the impression, that, although he had a serious illness, it wasn't necessarily fatal. Both were fighters and placed a lot of misguided faith or hope in authority, Lou's doctors and, of course, Lou's will to achieve, his work ethic. When Lou tells Eleanor (who knows what Lou's prognosis is through her own sources, that is, that Lou's illness is terminal with no hope of survival), that he has a 50/50 chance, he may or may not have really believed it. Even as the months and his illness (ALS) progressed and he was obviously following the 2 - 3year death course of almost every other terminally ill ALS patient known to medicine, he would tell his former teammates that he was going to "lick this thing". So, did Mom Gehrig know or not? Cathy gets it right when she references the collosal fight Eleanor and Mom Gehrig had 3 months before Lou dies. Words, and I mean vicious words on both sides, were said that probably should not have been said, each blaming the other for Lou's obviously dire condition upstairs asleep in his bedroom. Richard Sandomir has Lou banishing his parents from Eleanor and Lou's home because the yelling was so bad, so vicious. You can imagine at this point with both Eleanor and Christina having fought over Lou for 8 years how high the emotional stakes were.

(reading on) p.155 Chapter entitled Whispers of the Soul. Cathy plunges deep into the rabbit hole trying to resolve the discrepancy between something she said during her first regression session (that Mom Gehrig thought Lou would get better or at least survive his illness) and the widely held belief that Lou knew what his prognosis was (certain death) before he gave his famous "Luckiest Man" address in Yankee Stadium.

Comment: After doing some reading, however incomplete, I tend to agree with Cathy: Lou may not have known the final prognosis because the doctors in those days didn't always tell you when they knew you were a goner. Eleanor would have known through secondary sources, but not Mom Gehrig possibly until the very end. Cathy finds the answer to the mystery on p.168 when she discovers a note in the Baseball Hall of Fame archives written by Eleanor's mother, Nellie, in which Nellie says that Eleanor ordered the examining doctors not to tell Lou that his illness was terminal. No doubt true. Other references (Richard Sandomir) say that at least one reporter found out the ALS terminal diagnosis but chose not to let the word out. ALS was and is a rare disease so it's likely very few people knew what the end result of such a diagnosis was, and probably confused it with the widely reported diagnosis of "infantile paralysis" which further muddied the waters. One can argue about why Goldwyn's creative team framed the moment when Lou gets the diagnosis from the head examining physician at the Mayo (not Scripps btw) Clinic in Minnesota ("Give it to me straight . . . Is it 3 strikes, Doc?" "Do you want it straight?" Lou "Sure I do" Doc "3 strikes"), leading the movie viewer to believe that he had been given the truth. In the end though, Goldwyn's team most likely did it this way to heighten the drama of Lou's farewell address and justify Teresa Wright's practically inconsolable weeping (and frankly, ours, too) during the last few minutes of the movie.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017 at 8:43 AM
    KenJ likes this.
  7. GuySittingintheStands

Just doing some background research into Cathy Byrd's The Boy Who Knew Too Much, 2017 Hay House. You know. Trust but verify.

There may be a flaw in Cathy Byrd's story of being regressed back to Christina Gehrig, the mother of Lou Gehrig. It could be explained away very easily, but it still raises a doubt. One of the criticisms of The Boy Who Knew Too Much is Cathy's incredible accounts of 3 past life regressions she had with a Los Angeles based regressionist named Jeroen. In all 3 regressions Cathy chooses to regress back to Christina "Mom" Gehrig, and not to anyone else. According to at least one earlier post (autumnleaves) this is not typical. Are these real, untainted, past life regression accounts or could Cathy's regression narratives have been influenced by research she had done, consciously or unconsciously? Could details of the regression have even been contrived?

The potential flaw, and I emphasize that it may only be a potential flaw, not a real flaw, since it can easily be explained away, arises from Cathy's 3rd and final regression with Jeroen. Cathy, under regression, describes being old and gray and living with a family during the last few years of her life (pp. 176-178).

Cathy, as Mom Gehrig, tells Jeroen, that she has a "small dog" that she describes as a "a boy dog" (p.176). She also says she has a bird in a big iron cage. (p.180). Cathy, after doing some research in the Baseball Hall of Fame library, discovers a note from the Hall to a Mr. George Steigler, concerning some photographs. She discovers an obituary for his wife Laurel Steigler through some online research and discovered that Mom Gehrig did live with the Steigler family in Milford, Connecticut during the last few years of her life. Cathy tracks down the Steiglers' children who were about ages 10 and 7 when Mom Gehrig lived with their family in Milford (small coastal town adjacent to and just southwest of New Haven, Connecticut) from about 1951 to 1954, Mom Gehrig's death. Cathy eventually gets in contact with the older of the two children, a 71 year old United Methodist pastor named Rev. Ken Steigler, born in 1941, who confirms many of the details of Cathy's 3rd regression session with Jeroen, including Mom Gehrig's possession of a dachshund named Monkey, and an old parrot in an iron cage who, apparently, was very good at mimicking people including Mom Gehrig.

When Mom Gehrig passed away in March 1954 at Milford Hospital, she left the Baseball Hall of Fame Lou's Trophies and awards that she still possessed, but the bulk of her estate went to two women she had known for years. (Her son Lou Gehrig had died June 2, 1941 and her husband Henry Gehrig 5 years later on Aug 16, 1946). One of the women was Laurel Steigler, George Steigler's wife of Milford, Connecticut, and the other woman, an old friend of Mom Gehrig, is discussed in the following online New York Times article: "A Lou Gehrig Treasure Trove" by Peter Applebome, Aug 1, 2011. The article concerns the recollections of a Jeffrey Quick, born 1942, whose mother, Ruth (Martin) Quick, was a steady girlfriend of Lou Gehrig in 1930, when Lou was still living with Mom and Pop Gehrig in New Rochelle, New York, a town just northeast of the Bronx in Westchester County near the Connecticut border. Lou's relationship with Ruth Martin didn't work out for whatever reason, and he later met a Chicago girl (Eleanor Twitchell) in 1932, and married her the following year in late Sept 1933. However, Mom Gehrig maintained a close friendship with Ruth, who eventually married a 5th Avenue upscale furniture salesman named Herbert Quick in 1934. Ruth's son, 69 year old Jeffrey Quick, had many fond memories of Mom Gehrig, even visiting her at her home in Mt. Vernon, Westchester County, New York, as a child (Mom and Pop Gehrig were forced to move from their New Rochelle home in Sept 1937 after they were foreclosed on for missing a semi-annual mortgage payment, and Lou couldn't or wouldn't come up with the $9000 cash -- roughly $180,000 cash in today's money, to cover). Mom and Pop Gehrig (d. 1946) lived in Mt. Vernon, New York from 1937-1948, when the widow Mom Gehrig moved to her own place in Milford,Connecticut in 1948. Anyway, Jeffrey remembered Mom Gehrig's dachshund Monkey, and a parrot, whom he thinks was named Bill, from the Quick family visits with the widowed Mom Gehrig during the 1940s. This is of course the same dachshund Monkey and parrot that Rev. Ken Steigler remembers from his childhood when Mom Gehrig was living with the Steigler family in Milford, Connecticut, 1951-1954, although Rev. Ken remembered the bird's name as Polly.

So far, so good. No worries.

The potential problem arises from a 2002 online Lou Gehrig fanblog called, moregehrig.tripod . com, in the Questions and Answers section.
    A reader asked "Did Lou and Babe really hate each other? What really was the cause of the "feud" between them? "
    As part of his answer, responding to the reader's question, the blogger makes a curious statement, curious that is, at least for us:

Blogger: "[Babe] Ruth did indulge in Gehrig's mother's cooking and gave her a little dog as a present, while Ruth's youngest daughter, Dorothy spent many hours at the Gehrigs' house (and she [as a young girl] developed a crush on Gehrig) . . . .

It's not too hard to figure an upper limit to when Babe Ruth gave Mom Gehrig the little dog. Apparently the Babe and Lou Gehrig had a major falling out over something Mom Gehrig said in 1932 about how the Babe and his second wife Claire were dressing Babe's (adopted) daughter Dorothy. Babe in so many words told Lou to tell his mother to mind her own business, which Lou took as a slight against his mother, Mom Gehrig. (Dorothy Ruth was about 10 or 11 in 1932, you can read the account in Babe Ruth's wikipedia write-up). Still, Ruth intended to make amends with Lou in 1934 sometime before or during a major league baseball goodwill trip to Japan with a squad of ballplayers including Ruth, Gehrig, and their wives. A widely discussed incident happened on board the cruise to Japan between Lou and Babe Ruth, and the two greats subsequently stopped talking to each other. If Babe Ruth gave Mom Gehrig the small dog, (a dachshund?) in 1932 before the feud, the dog would have been 19 years old in 1951, the year Mom Gehrig moved into the Steigler's home in Milford, Connecticut, assuming it is the same little dog. If Babe Ruth gave Mom Gehrig the small dog in 1934, the dog would have been 17 years old in 1951, very, very old for a dog. Of course, Mom and Pop Gehrig, or Mom Gehrig alone after her husband's death in Aug 1946, could have bought a new puppy, say a dachshund, to keep her company at her home in Mt. Vernon, New York, and that's probably the simple solution to this little mystery. But I thought I'd bring it up anyway. Due diligence and all that, you know.

By the way, has anyone knowledgeable in past life regression, either from this forum, or anyone else for that matter, vetted Cathy Byrd's regression tapes for authenticity?

Just askin'.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  8. GuySittingintheStands

OK. I've just skimmed through the transcripts of Cathy Byrd's three past life regressions (Apr, June, November 2014) which are available on her website (cathy-byrd . com , under Regressions).

There was some new information that was not in the book. In the first regression she mentions a little boy, the son of a friend, she nicknames "Joey". The context of this reference leads me to believe that she is talking about Jeffrey Quick, b. 1942, the son of a female friend of hers (Ruth Martin Quick, a former girlfriend of Lou Gehrig). "Joey" is close enough to "Jeffrey" and so I'm scoring this as a hit. People that don't go over these stories a lot probably wouldn't, but I do. Two syllables, with the first and last parts of the two names identical. Close enough doesn't have to look like this; they can be rhyming variants of each other, or even simple word plays of each other.

Cathy, under regression, mentions a small dog in the first regression, nicknamed "Jidge" (first regression, around p.20 I think). From the first and third regressions we learn that it is a small, white dog with soft fur. It lived with her when Cathy (as Mom Gehrig) lived with the Steigler family in Milford, Connecticut (1951-1954, Mom Gehrig's death). The dog (and the bird in the iron cage) survived Mom Gehrig's death March 12, 1954, in Milford (third regression). Cathy, as Mom Gehrig, post-mortem, assumes that the family will take care of her animals (third regression).

Ummmm. This might be a miss. This may not be the dachshund that both Jeffrey Quick and Rev. Ken Steigler (who was about 10 years old when Mom Gehrig lived with the Steigler family in Milford) named "Monkey". There are cream-colored long-haired dachshunds but they seem to be a specialty variant of the more common red or motley black and white long-haired dachshund. Specialty breeds tend to be rarer and pricier. It could also be a dachshund-mix which would account for the white color (or a very old dog, which would also account for the white color). I don't think we're talking about two separate dogs from two different times in Mom Gehrig's life since Cathy, under regression as Mom Gehrig, puts this small dog with the soft, white fur on the couch with her at the Steiglers ie., 1951-1954.

There is still the issue of the small dog that Babe Ruth gave Mom Gehrig sometime circa 1932 - 1934. I'm trying to run down the reference to this dog at present. Let's see what I come up with. Google does say that dachshunds have an average life span of 14-16 years, but some live even longer, with 17 or even longer not unheard of.

My feeling at this point is that Cathy has oversold the detail of the small dog. By not including the details that she mentions in the regression (white, soft fur, nicknamed "Jidge") in her book, the reader is led to believe it is the same small dog that Rev. Ken Steigler remembers (dachshund named Monkey). Now that I think about it, anyone who had read the Aug 1, 2011 NY Times online article ("A Lou Gehrig Treasure Trove") could have come up with the story about "Joey" (Jeffrey Quick) consciously or unconsciously.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017 at 8:46 AM