The generosity of crows

Discussion in 'Animal reincarnation and spiritual experiences' started by helz_belz, Mar 11, 2015.

1. helz_belz

helz_belz Super Moderators Staff Member Super Moderator

This has been doing the rounds lately, but it really is quite lovely. Some stories of crows (and their relatives the magpies, rooks, ravens and jackdaws) who bring gifts to people who have helped them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-31795681

Birds, especially the crows, are very intelligent birds. Magpies have passed the mirror test for self awareness, and been seen to hold mourning rituals for their dead.

2. Mere Dreamer

Mere Dreamer Senior Registered

This is really interesting. I've been thinking about how aware some animals are, and changing how I interact with them based on stories like these. Instead of treating them like they are clueless, or attempting to physically enforce certain behavior, I speak and mentally request things of them.

It has worked on both a cat and a dog (my friends' pets). It was very helpful with the dog, especially. Since I am intimidated by large dogs, I asked it to go hang out with someone else in another room, please, letting it know I was overwhelmed by its greeting. And sweet as anything, it turned and went. OMG It raised my level of trust for that dog significantly.

Now I want to hang out with birds, too. *grin*

3. SoundOfLight

SoundOfLight New Member

A town near where I grew up has the highest crow population in the country. Every year they had an annual crow shoot where anyone could shoot as many crows as they pleased. I participated in a protest each year. I think the crow population has to do with the Native American ties in the area.

4. argonne1918

argonne1918 Senior Registered

In my area, California, you have to be careful around crows. They are highly susceptible to West Nile Virus when bitten by mosquitoes. We are told not to touch them and to call a special phone number to report any dead crows we see. Several years ago I had a dead crow on the ground in my yard under a tree. I called it in and a day or two later someone came by and collected it.

5. helz_belz

helz_belz Super Moderators Staff Member Super Moderator

There is a lot of research looking into animal cognition, the findings seem to show that many animals are aware to a greater or lesser extent. Apes, parrots, crows, elephants, whales and dolphins seem to have levels of self-awareness approaching our own. The book 'Animal Wise' by Virginia Morell is excellent and contains a lot of anecdotes along these lines, as does 'How Animals Grieve' by Barbara J King. Whenever he is asked about animal personality, David Attenborough always tells the story about when he was filming spiders. Each spider had a different personality, one didn't like the lights, one was very lazy, and one was perfectly happy to do all is spidery behaviours for the cameras! We shouldn't underestimate the other life we share our planet with!

That is fascinating that the dog listened to you, might have to try that with my friend's dog, he is very big and a bit intimidating!

6. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

I'm finding my dog to be very intuitive. Her name is Gracie but I call her Grace for short. She can see what I'm thinking and is teaching me patience and communication through the heart center. She will come lay on my heart and put her head around my neck. Then in a very soft sweet tone make small noises like shes chanting, or singing.

As far as Crows and Ravens go - my great grandmother use to see them on the shoulder of someone who was going to die soon. Regardless of age she just knew because of the Raven spirits. Last night (and I've lived here 6 months now,) I heard two Crows on the trees outside. They made loud crow noises as if warning me something was going to happen. I've never seen them around here before, or heard them. Something did happen the next day. I will post it separately since it's not actually about the animals. Look for it tomorrow if you're interested ~ in the Spirituality section of the forum.

I'm sharing both short stories here because my mother (very clairvoyant) is writing her book - Listen to the Animals Listen with your heart.

SeaAndSky likes this.
  7. SeaAndSky

SeaAndSky Senior Registered

Hi Deborah,

I have been looking forward to the promised post--did I miss it?

S&S

PS--I really like "smart" birds such as those in the Raven and Parrot families, though the distaste and/or allergies of others keeps me from pursuing this interest very much. Nonetheless, I'm always game for info and stories in this area . . .

8. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

Hi S&S - What happened the next day is titled Tic Toc in the ---Parapsychology section