The internet and future lives.

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by hoping4change, Mar 2, 2013.

1. hoping4change

hoping4change Registered

It just crossed my mind tonight. Will the internet and sites such as Facebook where photo sharing and memories are shared daily, change people's recollection of past lives, in lifetimes to come? Just a thought. With more left behind, and more ways to access these "things" than ever, certainly more people may feel a pull to their past. :D

2. BriarRose

BriarRose Senior Registered

I think it will make an impact if the internet survives long term. For some reason I can't expain, I feel that the technology we now enjoy may not survive for more than a few decades. For the record, I hope my "feeling" is wrong!

3. hoping4change

hoping4change Registered

I can only imagine how far communication will go. I totally agree with what you said!

4. Shiftkitty

Shiftkitty Registered User

Hmm, how long will this stuff last? Now there's an interesting chain of thought. Now think about this. People used to write a LOT back in the 18th and 19th century. They were often careful about what they said and how they presented themselves because future generations would read their letters. Martha Washington burned the love letters George had sent her because they were very personal. They were for her and her alone. George's other writings, however, he actually went back through and editted because he was concerned about how future generations would see him. This was not an uncommon practice, which is why it's such a delicious find to locate an uneditted, honest writing from great historical figures of the time.

We won't have that luxury with modern technology, so what will our posterity see of us? Drunk and flashing our *****? Stupid remarks in idiotic arguments over trivial matters? Lengthy debates over which Star Trek captain is "better"? Will they wonder why we spent so much time taking video of a cat chasing a lazer dot? Will they wonder why we idolized the sleazy celebrities we do?

Will they forgive us for the legacy we're leaving them with this stuff?

5. BriarRose

Shiftkitty, that's an excellent point. People need to edit their on-line behavior for many reasons. Speaking of love letters, I wish I had burned a few of mine. The kids found them, and thought they were hilarious.

6. Shiftkitty

Suddenly this song comes to mind...

(Ah, the sound cuts off towards the end, but you get the idea!)

7. BriarRose

Okay, Shiftkitty. You made my day. (Not for the first time!) My husband wanted to know why I was in the kitchen, howling with laughter. Please everyone, watch the video. My daughter started to sing along with it!

8. Shiftkitty

Glad I could help! Hee hee!:laugh:

9. Lady2

Lady2 Senior Registered

An interesting thought. We do leave more behind, but it is more digital, rather then physical. In the future, if the internet is still in easy use as it is now, it would be easier to look your past life self up. Instead of chests of old letters stashed in someones attic, there are millions of public accounts, pictures & files.

10. Jim78

Jim78 Active Member

I've often wondered about the future myself. My last life ended in 1922 so there's only photos and silent films of me. When my fiancé from that life met me in my current life the first thing that clicked with her was my voice. I often wonder what a future incarnation of me would make of full colour footage of my present life with sound. Then again I hate getting my video taken so as things stand now maybe only a couple of minutes of footage of me exist. I don't like to leave a digital footprint. Paranoia from my last life when I was hunted by the British perhaps. The only real footprint I've left is anonymously in spiritual forums.

I do wonder how God will arrange for reincarnation to remain anonymous with HD footage of past lives being so readily available now and in the future. Surely people will start making connections between people in old footage in the coming centuries.