The Man (or Woman) in the Mirror

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by SeaAndSky, Feb 3, 2021.

1. SeaAndSky

SeaAndSky Senior Registered

I'm just curious about whether others have experienced something that has periodically struck me since I was a child--a sense that the person in the mirror is not "me" or does not reflect my "true" appearance.

Of course, many may insist that this is just the reaction of someone who thinks they should look more like the current Hollywood Heart-throb. I don't, and this started well before the time I knew there was such a thing as being "good looking" or "beautiful". It is instead a sense that the face I see, though certainly what I look like now, is somehow not my "true" appearance. But . . . without a good idea of what that true appearance actually IS (other than different).

Is this like the child that remembers a prior set of parents and thinks that their current parents are not the "real" parents? Am I just remembering the last lifetime? Perhaps, but I don't think so. I actually feel like the face I am looking for is the one I began with (however many lifetimes that has been), or the one that I will end with (somewhere down the line). I also feel like these may be the same--that once I have gone through it all, I will arrive back at where I began, and (as the saying goes) really know it for the first time.

Anyhow, I am curious about others who may have experiences of this type, and what their thoughts may be on the matter.

Cordially,
    S&S

PS--I also think that I have done this same gazing with the same resulting confusion through many other lifetimes, always wondering why that wasn't "me" and what "I" actually looked like.

Zelda likes this.
  2. Polaris8

Polaris8 Senior Registered

I remember years ago I tried seeing if I could see myself as I was in past lives using the mirror method. I use this to see my aura. You stare at a mirror image of yourself standing in front a white wall. Keeping your focus on your forehead or between your eyes. After a few minutes you slowly shift your vision either to the left or right of your head. Usually you can start seeing a outline of your aura around the head and shoulder area. However while doing this I also started seeing images of myself of other people super imposed over the mirror image of my reflection in the mirror. At first this freak me out a bit but then I became aware that the images I was seeing was in fact me from other lifetimes. It is kind of a eye opener into the difference states of consciousness you as soul once had in lifetimes gone by. And some of the images where of both genders.

Because as soul we really don't have a gender. We only experience gender when we incarnate into the physical world where the forces of duality are at there greatness.
    I have been told that with some practices you can become very good at this. It was interesting for awhile but then I lost interest in it. Because I realized the past is the past what was more important was the present. However this present lifetime we are living now will one day be a past life as well. The only constant is soul itself.

Anyway that's my experience of it. Tanks for the post. Every interesting.

P.

SeaAndSky likes this.
  3. SeaAndSky

Hi Polaris,

Yours was not exactly what I was looking for, but extremely interesting none-the-less. So, it is greatly appreciated.

My post was directed at what I consider to be more Western approaches to spiritual growth and ascent, rather than what I see as the Eastern approach. In Western religions, spiritual growth and accomplishment tend to involve not just God consciousness and a recognition of ourselves in relation to the divine, whether as a reflection or an emanation, but also a sense of ourselves as individuals. E.g., we may all be as alike as snow flakes in terms of being made in the image of God, but also like snow flakes, though we may follow a common pattern, we are each individually different, unique and beautiful and will remain so in Theosis. I seek God, but expect that in finding God I will also find my true Self in relationship with God. The opposite is also true, that in seeking my true Self I will only find it in relationship with God. In either case, the Western approach also includes a recognition that we are embodied creatures, though the nature of embodiment varies tremendously from this plane to higher planes. So much so that the term "body" becomes confusing and it may be more appropriate to speak of our "vehicle" of action and awareness as a locus of consciousness and action in some domains. However, I also expect that this aspect will come more-and-more to reflect that ultimate Self in wherever domain it voyages through or inhabits.

Anyhow, I do have a sense when I look in the mirror that my current form is not only not me in the ultimate sense, but is also not what I should look like even when embodied at this level of existence. I don't think that I am the only one who feels this way, but I am curious to find out.

Cordially,
    S&S

4. Polaris8

Polaris8 Senior Registered

S&S, Sorry about that. Your post just reminded me of using the mirror method many years ago. However I believe I sense what you are trying to say as human language is limited in descripting something that is not physical in nature per say. It has been my experience that western approach to spirituality tends to be more outward focused. And that most western world religions view god as a father figure separate from the self. One where we need approval from god in order to be in grace with him. Where as eastern spiritual paths have a more inward focus seeing the god force as apart of one self and connected to all things.

No matter what spiritual path one chooses it is nothing more than a tool for the human consciousness to connect to the divine from within. Your true self is actually non-physical in nature yet unique because you are a total sum of everything you have ever experienced as soul up to this point. Our outward appearance in the physical world in this present incarnation is temporary and fleeting.

However I have been told by some that when we die we at first appear as we did in life but at our prime. Any imperfection that we had on the physical plane are made whole again in astral matter. Being the astral body tends to mold itself to the form of that last incarnation as it responds to the mind very quickly. This allows others on the astral plane to recognize you as well. However as we unfold on the other side and transcend the astral plane into more higher dimensions within the spiritual worlds we take on more and more of our true inner nature as soul in appearance becoming more and more removed from the last incarnation that we had as well as our interests in the physical plane altogether. This occurs because we grow and unfold over time in these higher worlds. In fact what happens is in the higher dimensions from the higher mental plane and above that state of existences becomes now the reality to the soul and this world becomes the dream. Reality in a senses takes a totally flip reverse in how we experience reality itself. Simply because in these higher dimensions our consciousness becomes very expanded and we understand things from a soul point of view rather than a human state of consciousness which is limited within the 3rd dimension. It's hard for me to explain this but I feel this is what you are trying to describe what your true self is like rather than the reflection you see in the mirror of your present physical form.

So it does not matter what your outer appearance may be what is more important is your inner character, mind set and your state of inner being from within your heart my friend. Because it is those things you will take with you when you leave this world as they are the key to heaven itself. Your body will return to the earth from which is came.

Peace and love always.

P.

5. SeaAndSky

Hi Polaris,

I am going to try to respond by paragraph to, as usually the case, a very good post:

Your post just reminded me of using the mirror method many years ago. However I believe I sense what you are trying to say as human language is limited in descripting something that is not physical in nature per say. It has been my experience that western approach to spirituality tends to be more outward focused. And that most western world religions view god as a father figure separate from the self. One where we need approval from god in order to be in grace with him. Where as eastern spiritual paths have a more inward focus seeing the god force as apart of one self and connected to all things.

There are some generalizations here. I think what you are really speaking to is the exoteric vs. esoteric aspect of religion. There are plenty of folks in the East who are actually focused outward and trying to appease their various gods = exoteric. Likewise, there are (especially in pre-reformation branches of Christianity) plenty of folks who are focused on the esoteric aspect. Protestantism tends to be more unbalanced towards the exoteric (I speak as a Protestant). So, many folks who grew up in a Protestant church or milieu will have this viewpoint. My own bent towards mysticism and the esoteric was one of the things that led me East (as I could not find anything to satisfy that urging in my own Protestant church). However, in time I found and explored many of the more esoteric aspects of Christianity.

No matter what spiritual path one chooses it is nothing more than a tool for the human consciousness to connect to the divine from within. Your true self is actually non-physical in nature yet unique because you are a total sum of everything you have ever experienced as soul up to this point. Our outward appearance in the physical world in this present incarnation is temporary and fleeting.

I agree with the foregoing in general, but probably would disagree with some of the underlying premises involved. For example, the overall path in Eastern religions generally involves total and permanent transcendence of the physical (unless returning to assist other poor benighted souls along the same path). This is not true in the Abrahamic (Western) religions. I cannot and would not choose to speak of Islam, and I think others better qualified to speak in terms of Judaism, but in terms of Christianity the goal is certainly Heavenly in the general sense, but it includes trying to bring as much of heaven's Light into ourselves and our surroundings as possible while here and, as a religion, a faith that God will ultimately bring this to the entire physical plane as well. I.e., the ultimate goal is not to transcend and abandon the physical, but to regenerate and transform it so as to make it a province of Heaven. Ultimately, Heaven will include and incorporate the physical as just another part of its dominions rather than empty it and (as the Cathars and some other believed) annihilate it. Then: "the Earth will be filled with the Glory of God as the waters cover the sea." The same is basically true of the body. Ordinary flesh and blood shall not inherit the Kingdom of God, but we are to be made like unto the angels, who Scripture records traveling between the unseen and seen realms.

However I have been told by some that when we die we at first appear as we did in life but at our prime. Any imperfection that we had on the physical plane are made whole again in astral matter. Being the astral body tends to mold itself to the form of that last incarnation as it responds to the mind very quickly. This allows others on the astral plane to recognize you as well. However as we unfold on the other side and transcend the astral plane into more higher dimensions within the spiritual worlds we take on more and more of our true inner nature as soul in appearance becoming more and more removed from the last incarnation that we had as well as our interests in the physical plane altogether. This occurs because we grow and unfold over time in these higher worlds. In fact what happens is in the higher dimensions from the higher mental plane and above that state of existences becomes now the reality to the soul and this world becomes the dream. Reality in a senses takes a totally flip reverse in how we experience reality itself. Simply because in these higher dimensions our consciousness becomes very expanded and we understand things from a soul point of view rather than a human state of consciousness which is limited within the 3rd dimension. It's hard for me to explain this but I feel this is what you are trying to describe what your true self is like rather than the reflection you see in the mirror of your present physical form.

This is all generally true from my standpoint. However, as previously noted, I believe the ultimate goal of creation will make the spirit free in all planes/worlds, and properly "attired" to be, experience and act in all planes/worlds. I do not doubt that this would include the ability to appear as we like in the physical, but I am inclined to think that we will favor a form that somehow reflects the true nature of our selves and the experiences that have shaped us as well as the form (I am intuiting) in which we began the long round and path of lifetimes we currently tread.

So it does not matter what your outer appearance may be what is more important is your inner character, mind set and your state of inner being from within your heart my friend. Because it is those things you will take with you when you leave this world as they are the key to heaven itself. Your body will return to the earth from which is came.

Agreed, with the additional comments stated.

Cordially,
    S&S

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  6. Elle C.

Elle C. Senior Member

I don't look in a mirror longer then it takes me to do my hair and make up, and even then I don't pay attention to what I look like. I am not a pretty woman, and as such, I just go on with as little as possible. Generally, my features are similar and generically laid out in the same symmetry as all my lives, so it is not much of a displacement. Not being a pretty woman is in conflict with the live I WAS the standard of what beauty was, although I wasn't that pretty then, either. Round about way of saying: my ego is fine enough I don't care...I FEEL like me, even when the memories aren't mine. I never cared for how I looked in any life I can remember, I was okay enough to use my feminine wiles to my advantage, but not so pretty it was problematic for me.

So, on the few occasions I look at myself, I don't see anything out of place or time. It's just the latest incarnation of not so pretty. I imagine the next one will be the same.

On the parent thing, I adored my Dad and was super close to him all my life to his death. I was close to my mom in a different way. I used to tell both of them they were new souls and I wasn't, so obviously the implication was they weren't my only parents. My mom and I had the discussion of soul age shortly before she died, as a matter of fact.