• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

The medieval memories sharing circle

Sunniva

Administrator Emeritus
Hey there,

I wonder how many here remembers lives in the middle ages?
I have always been deeply attracted to that era and my childhood role plays would always take place in a medieval setting. I wasn't surprised to find out that I have lived several lives in those times.

I invite you all to share whatever memories you have of living in medieval times - everyday memories, flashes, feelings, anything really.

I'll start.

In the 1300's I was a monk. My name was Nikolas and I know that I travelled around a lot from monastery to monastery. What is curious to me is that I also had memories of being involved with a woman. I didn't really expect it since monks are known for their celibacy, but I had an affair with a young girl while being at a monastery, I think in Poland.

One of my first memories of this life was a church ceremony where I spotted her among the church goers. I think the damage had already been done at this point and afterwards she found me and begged me for help, she was pregnant. I was a coward though and pretended not know her (out of the corner of my eye one of my fellow monks was watching the scene and being very suspicious of me I didn't want to reveal anything to him), but I felt very bad leaving her in the courtyard, crying desperately. I felt it was the best solution for both of us at that momet. I don't know what happened to her after that, but Nikolas went on to live a long life. He died of old age, alone in his bed in some monastery while sleeping.

I have more memories that I'll share later on.

So, who's next? :D

Wow, you sure do remember a lot! The only thing I have, is that I know I was a monk during that time period as well. I also have had a few memories of rolling green hills and cold weather, castles, and the ocean. I am on a horse, and watching the ocean and the seas distance. My wife is at home preparing supper, a stew from earlier's hunting. I turn my horse around and gallop home.

That's it for now.

Been there lots and lots of times!

Cullough (name not verified) got suckered off onto some grand adventure toward Eastern Europe, in quest of gold and glory only to freeze to death, abandoned by the shyster who organized the expedition and the one person he thought was a friend.

A young girl of high birth, sheltered in her family's castle (or fancy manor, not sure which, but it was an impressive building for its time) while the plague ravages the land, praying daily and nightly that God would show mercy. Her father was a wise man and kept the family safe, and when the family came through he used his fortunes to help survivors rebuild. It wiped the family out financially, but he told us that the whole reason we were allowed to live so well for so long so was that we could be able to help when it was needed. We never felt like the fortune had been wasted.

The Dancing Girl, for whom life seemed to be a free ride. She went where she willed, lived as she chose, and tasted every dish from the buffet of life. I call her the Dancing Girl not because she danced for a living, but because she was always dancing as she moved. Even when walking there was a light skip to her step and she'd twirl now and then.

The Crusader, who lived for the rush of battle and the clanging of steel on steel!

I feel as though there are many more waiting to surface.

I have memories of:

An italian nobleman who had a twin brother; that brother is now my best friend.

A young, brilliant monk in France who read and wrote translations of books and died young of pneumonia.

Another monk in France who had friends and relatives die in the Battle of Agincourt (Henry the V) and had to help the survivors recover their lives.

A baker in a cathedral town in France during said cathedral's construction (maybe Chartres); wife and partner was my ex-fiance.

A blacksmith in southern France working for a feudal lord; wife and partner again was ex-fiance.

Each of these memories have the requisite strong level of emotion...a knowing and familiarity. I look forward to spending more time with them when the opportunity arises.

Memory of - A monk, around 14th century, monastery in south-east England. Monastery had high walls around it with the buildings clustered in a large square and a garden in the middle of the buildings. I was in the scriptorium doing the color drawings on the pages that already had writing on them.

Quick snapshot memory - yoeman/archer in a medieval army, quite near the King. King was on horse, armored up and wearing a gold circlet on his helmet. I had on a leather helmet and some good and practical clothing on, made of fabric and leather.

Male in both- no idea of names and in the second, I don't even know which century!

Thanks for sharing! :D

Very interesting memories! I'm fascinated by how many of us have a past life as monks. I wonder if that previous spirituality is one of the reasons why we're meeting again in this forum?

Of my medieval past lives I find my monk life to be the most intriguing. I can't quite figure him out. He was religious, but sometimes it comes across more like 'just a job' rather than a deepfelt yearning for spirituality. I wonder how many monks felt that way.

A memory that must belong to that life too always surfacing when I'm at work. I'm an archaeologist and when I'm out digging I get the image of working in the garden of the monastery. I've both seen it as working with the vegetables that were grown, but I've also felt that I dug graves.

Another medieval past life of mine was as a young woman called Meredith. I think it was after the monk life, but I'm not sure. I have a strong feeling that it was still in the 1300's and that it was during or right after the plague had ravished Britain (where this life took place). I had a husband, who was a shepherd, lived in a little house and we were very happy. I made baskets out of willow and sold them on a market. I saw from her eyes as she stood in her booth and had just sold a basket. She also noticed someone carrying one of her baskets around at the market and she felt happy and proud of her work.

In another memory of this life I saw myself on a crowded "street" (more like a wide, muddy path between houses) watching a procession go by. It was a very short flash, but I think they were nuns - they were singing and swinging those incense bowls used in the Catholic church. I remember thinking I was safe, that the Devil couldn't catch me here and that it was good they did this cleansing so that the Devil would go away.

I have just a few vague memories of a past life in medieval times, nothing worth getting excited about : angel

I remember walking a dog in the grounds of a stately home on a misty morning. My dress definitely matched that of the medieval period. The dog has also popped up in my memories more than once. Another time I remember taking him to a vet when he was sick. I don't have any more detail than that.

Oh, I've always been fascinated by the Middle Ages. Unfortunately I don't have any detailed memories of anything prior to the 1500's. I wish I could tell you that I was a magnificent knight on a white horse, or that I was bravely fighting along side William Wallace (though I do love the movie Braveheart) ...but I got nothin'. :rolleyes:

I also remember a life as a monk. I remember a vivid flashback in which I was walking in a dimly lit church, down a hallway. The walls were at least two foot thick; the few windows were fairly small. Everything was made of stone, the walls, floor and ceiling. I continued walking, turned to my left and went into a room that was lit only by the daylight coming through a humble stained glass window set in a deep window sill. I looked admiringly up at it, it was special, perhaps the only stained glass in the whole church.

That is all I remember seeing, but it was very clear. However, the connections don’t end there.

• I love doing the old calligraphy, have for many years before I remembered this memory, and am quite good at it. One particular style has always been my favorite, Textura Quadrata, a Gothic lettering from the early 13th century.

• I find the Gregorian chant to be very familiar and comforting; I enjoy listening to it on a regular basis. I find the lyrics easy to memorize, and one time while looking at calligraphy ligatures in a book of old manuscripts saw the Latin word ‘Domine’, and knew how it was pronounced and that it meant Lord, even though I have absolutely no knowledge of Latin in my current life. Looking this word up shows I was right. The Gregorian chant was used primarily in central England during the 10th to 13th centuries.

• After this memory, I did some research on medieval church architecture; I knew what I had seen was definitely long before the Renaissance. Looking at churches like what I remember, the style roughly dates from the 11th to the 14th centuries.

• When I was a little I would hand write copies of my favorite books, because I wanted there to be a secret copy in case the other one was 'destroyed'. I didn’t think anything of it until I had these memories & connections come to the surface many years later. I believe as a monk I copied texts to preserve them in case the original was destroyed.

- After doing a lot of research over time, I learned that there is actually a fairly narrow time frame I could have lived in. Though the church style spanned a much wider time frame, the Gregorian Chant & Textura Quadrata texts were only popular at the same time in the early 13th Century. That would place my past life around 1199-1250, in central England.

Now am another that does not have many memories from this period. But do know of one life where it seems I was a Franciscan Monk and somehow knew, I believe, St. Francis of Assisi. It is interesting but in this life, how many of those same values of a monk lifestyle are with me in this life.

I don't have what you'd call clear memories, for now I only have feelings, but of course I've always felt attracted to Medieval Ages. I love to visit castles, I love swords and armours, I feel something strange when I see the representation of a soldier on his knees becoming a knight...

One of the last castles I visited was a small one in a small town called Salobreña, in Granada (Spain), by the sea, and the sights from the top of the walls and the feeling I have to protect it are so powerful. I even noticed why it had been built that way and which were the weak points.

I also had a vivid dream once, very simple. I just was walking down a stone stair, and there was this square window in the wall, I just looked out and felt the wind in my face. Not much, but I've always thought that was a castle in which I lived.

Recently I've seen myself during a meditation as a warrior of something of that kind, putting on an armour, which I didn't really like, due to restriction of movements. I prefered bow and arrows much more, I think I was good at it. But again, I'm still not quite sure if it's only my imagination.

I have some memories from the medieval times, which I absolutely love and miss, though mostly they are thoughts and strong feelings. When I visit castles I get chills and sometimes abstract flashes of visual memories. I will be brave and tell you guys a bit :)

I remember being named Joan during the reign of King Richard the Lionheart. I've had one abstract visual memory -- if it can even be called that -- that I recieved during meditation. I was in a bed surrounded by the faces of women, and they were blessing (the best word I can think of to describe it) me. But it was all in red and blurred, as though I were seeing them through closed eyelids, with the sun shining through. But I knew they were there. The older brother who I still always think of and miss was from this life. I actually recall being jealous of his wife, even though he did not really care for her. I felt that she somehow would take his affections away from me; that he would love her more than his own sister and forget me. We were very close, despite our differences in age and his many flaws.

Bayuex Tapestry

One of my most detailed memories of a pastlife is of working on the Bayuex Tapestry. I was the daughter of a high born judge in the city of Tourgoing, today in Belgium. I came to England with the household of Mahtilda from Flandern. The making of this tapestry was nothing really unique at this time. My memories are so detailed that I could easily answer some of the mysteries that surround it ...I have tried more then once to contact some of the people who have studied and written books, but when I start to talk about how I know these things, I get absolutely no answer! It's O.K. though...I understand. My memories are mine, and that's enough.

It's nice to see so many people sharing medieval memories :thumbsup:

Hi Elsie - and welcome to the forum :) This is a safe place to share, no one will ridicule your memories. To us here, past lives are a fact of human life, there's nothing mysterious about it (in that sense anyway). But of course, only share when or if you feel ready for it. There's absolutely no pressure :)

@Eowyn: some years ago I also started having some very diffuse flashes and memories of maurian Spain. I feel a strong pull towards that area, the architecture, the time. I haven't got anything specific though and I can't remember them anymore. Unfortunately I lost my past life journal when my computer died a few years ago and I haven't been able to revisit those memories. I think they were triggered by a group of people, who were around this forum some years ago, but I've lost contact with them - and thus the memories.

Interesting memories everyone. I wish I had any memories of any past life I had at all to share:(.

Sunniva, I have always had an interest in medieval times. I don't know much about history in general but have been interested in the way people lived back in they days and the way they viewed life. It is rather horrific to find out how they tortured people, and the way they treated a lot of people in general, but its amazing to notice just how much most of society has changed over all them years. It's also interesting to think what society will be like here on earth a long time from now.

I remember being a woman in a noble household in England, I think in the 1100s or very early 1200s. I don't think I was a servant (my clothes seemed too nice) but maybe a lady-in-waiting or some kind of attendant. I have a memory of sitting in a cold stone-walled room with other women and sewing, but there is a profound sense of sadness associated with this memory.

I have lots of random memory that I just don't know where they fit in. I feel very strongly that I lived several lives during the middle ages but other than the one above, nothing is very clear.

My memory of a castle...

I remember walking down a narrow dirty medieval street, thatched houses packed closely together on each side. On my right, I saw an old woman sweeping in front of a door with a small skinny broom. There were several people about, on my left a man walked passed me with a pig on a leash.

The rutted dirt road had a few bends in it, climbing steadily uphill. As I looked up ahead I saw a castle keep, in full running order. It had square corners without turrets; I saw no moat, bridges or other walls from my perspective, so perhaps I was already within the outer walls. Off the very top the keep flew a flag, it was divided into four equal squares, two yellow and two red, diagonal to each other. I was heading towards the castle; I saw the flag very clearly for it being so far away, like I was supposed to remember it.

I remembered this when I was reading a book quietly while listening to Gregorian chant, and this just came out of nowhere clear as day. It's one of the few memories I have where I am actually seeing through my eyes like I'm really there...

*I later learned that the flag I saw was a the flag of the Normans, and that it was very common for early Norman keeps to have square corners.

I came to view this lifetime through a past life meditation...I was a thin, small man and my hands were covered with a fine powder. I was a baker and my left hand was getting stiff from arthritis...it was painful to kneed dough. My wife and I (my former fiance, M.) baked together and nearly our entire lifetime were busily occupied with our baking as a cathedral was being constructed in our town and there was alot of regular traffic.

My purpose or meaning in many successive lives has been to develop close personal relationships; to create a deep sense of partnership with another human being. To that end M and I lived this "baker's life" to its extremely happy conclusion. This was one of at least three medieval lives with M...each with such a strong sense of love and mutual connection...the vision left me in tears of happiness.

I saw a movie with Kevin Branagh starring in Shakespeare's Henry V which glorified the Battle of Agincourt and made famous the St Crispin's/Crispian's day holiday and popularized the term "Band of Brothers". For some reason it left me in shock; I was angry and sad and felt remarkably bereft and was left with a sense of hopelessness.

Up to that point I was not familiar with Shakespeare's play having primarily read his comedies. Anyway, after the movie I read the play and was again treated to the same unreasonable level of emotion. I began to meditate and was almost immediately shown a battleground and an immense display of carnage...bloody and dead and dying men and animals, damaged and destroyed tools of war and everywhere ankle to knee-deep mud. The stench was awful and those still alive were either nursing injuries or were old, female or small children searching for their loved ones, though there were non-combatants intent on looting the dead.

I was there as a monk with a tonsure also seeking to identify those dead and injured who were family members or friends. While doing my own search, I was being implored by frantic and hysterical women to provide final rites to their dying relatives, most of whom were already dead. The whole scene was one of absolute horror and destruction and the sense of depression was nearly total.

In my own family, I was the youngest son and I had several older brothers and sisters, all married, along with many nephews and brothers in law...I was the only male left alive through this event and I spent the few remaining years of that life dealing with the widowed females in my family.

While I understand the level of nationalistic pride the Battle of Agincourt instilled in England; an army of about 5,000 defeating an army of about 20,000 in a matter of hours, the waste and destruction of lives for generations was horrific. The senselessness and cost to humanity as a whole was an extremely steep price to pay. I know this can be said of any war and mass death, but I have first hand experience of this one and it strikes me to this day.

As explanation, Henry V, in the 1400's, felt he had greater right to the crown of France than the French. He undertook an invasion in order to claim his "birthright". The campaign took longer than expected and the season began to change and his army dwindled to just more than 5,000 soldiers through both injury, death and disease. At the village of Agincourt, at the western corner of a newly plowed, muddy field with two low, wooded hills on either side providing a funnel effect, the English sat in wait for the French arrayed in immense numbers at the other end of the field. That night before the battle the next day, Henry roused his troops with the comments attributed to him by Shakespeare...something about this battle on St Crispin's Day will bind us all as a band of brothers...years from now you will be able to say you were one of that exclusive band.

The next day the French, buoyed with the confidence of dramatically larger numbers than the English, charged with fully armored horses and knights/soldiers through thick mud and the English held their arrows until the bogged down horses had dehorsed their heavily armored knights before the pikes at the small end of the funnel. Then the English unleashed their arrows and killed the horses and soldiers struggling in the mud. Those that weren't killed by arrows were killed by the English infantry coming out from between the pikes. Wave after wave of French mounted and armored soldiers charged the English and they all succumbed to the same fate. It is rumored there were only about 400 English dead to about 20,000 French dead, although there are no firm numbers available.

Once more, the level of inhumanity; the veritable slaughter involved in this conflagration boggles the mind. I vacillate between anger and tears thinking about it...and I still have difficulty sensing any justification in Henry V's actions.

Some Historical Background on Agincourt

I'm sorry if you have already found this info, but am including it FYI if you haven't.

The impression you get from reading history having to do with Henry V, is of a very capable man, driven to the point of obsession over his questionable right to the throne. His father, Henry IV, had usurped the throne of his cousin Richard II, afterwards murdering him. If you remember the scene in the movie, Henry goes down on his knees before the battle and prays to God not to be cursed for Richard's death.

Since the right to the crown rightfully passed through Richard's line, and not Henry's--Henry IV, and the teenage future Henry V, were in a nearly constant state of battle to keep control of the throne.

When he became King Henry V wanted nothing more than to assuage his guilt and prove he really was God's chosen for the throne. He was willing to be as ruthless as he needed to be in pursuit of this. His family did have a claim on the French throne going back 100 years (The Hundred Years War), and he decided that if God would grant him the throne of France, he would take it as a sign of God's destiny that he be King.

After all this, Henry did win the Throne of France, but died before he could claim it. Instead, his 9 month old son was crowned King of England and France. Henry VI grew up devoted to peace and scholarship, and would now be diagnosed as having long periods of catatonic schizophrenia. And that's when things got REALLY complicated.

I have a memory of living in medieval Spain, probably the 11th century. I seem to be high in a tower in a walled city, waiting for my husband to return. I think the city is under siege. I would think I was channeling the movie, "El Cid", but I looked nothing like Sophia Loren! I have a similar memory of medieval Italy, being in a high tower, and looking down over a bustling city. I'm a young woman, dressed in rich garments, and the quality of the light is amazing- the city is being "baked" by the warm sun.

For some reason when I think of medieval times it makes me feel sad and depressed. I dont think this was a good time for me. I feel as if though something bad happened to me. I know I was a monk in one medival life (not all the medival lives) and I felt like a sinner if I didnt become a monk but felt angry and cheated that I couldnt do fun things (partying, women, etc) that I wanted to do due to my profession. I wanted all the pleasures of the flesh but wanted to go to heaven too. Does that make sense. So I was a monk but not happy with my station in life. I had other medival lives also, but I was unhappy due to poverty, illness, etc.

Oddly, I remembered another medieval life. I lived in a place with hills and valleys, possibly in Scandinavia. I was promised to marry a kind and admirable young man, who I knew was my first husband in this life. He was a "man at arms." I was sitting at my window, looking out at a bright and sunny meadow. The most beautiful young man I'd ever seen appeared at my window. He had black hair, blue eyes and fair skin. He laughed, and I went outside to "play", the worthy fiance forgotten. He took me to his mountain "croft", where it turned out that he looked like an angel, but behaved like a devil. There's an old country song that says the devil has blue eyes, and blue jeans, and my demon lover may have been in medieval dress, but the song otherwise described him perfectly.

Thank you, Yellow Roses, for the additional information regarding Henry V. I had read of his administrative capability, and had he lived long enough to pull everything together it might have benefited those on both sides of the channel.

I think my experience (lived through meditation, regression and views into the akashic records) illustrates the human view of the unbridled waste of war; the lost lives and opportunities, the pain and anguish, and resultant fear of those surviving without their helpmates or families. The hopelessness I felt as I viewed the scene was almost overwhelming, and each chance (no chance?!) happening upon a reference of Agincourt brings it all back again.

My beliefs are that we plan, subject to free will, what our lives will hold and the events and actions we will experience while incarnate, thus each one of the casualties involved in Agincourt chose, in some manner, to be there, and they were not "victims" of an evil king and his obsessions. My human-feeling side apparently felt this experience extremely keenly and it seems to overpower my spirit-knowledge side!

A few months back I had a dream about a medieval life. I feel my name may have been James, and I was a valet to King Edward (I or II, still not sure, this was sometime between 1220 and 1300). It was autumn, the ground was wet and slippery with fallen leaves. We were camped outside a church with his men-at-arms, in Husbands Bosworth, Leicestershire; some dissenting women had taken sanctuary inside the church. I remember feeling such pride in my work, serving the King, putting his cloak upon his shoulders. I feel that later on he abandoned me and one of his other valets, for whatever reason I am still not sure. It is a life that I still miss.

I'm not really clear on a medieval life, but really gravitate toward medieval music, middle English, i.e, Chaucer, and other aspects of life in Medieval Europe/British Isles.

I was a nun in the 1300's Very clear memories of clothing, taking care of the sick, and times of war.

Oooh, I'm glad this thread was bumped. For most of my life I've been rather 'blocked' to connecting to anything that wasn't really recent, as in further back than the 1900s or so, but finally I'm coming a bit clearer on a medieval age life.

Really, no details yet and I haven't even had the time to look into it properly, but just having that connected feeling is kind of big for me. I know there are a lot of folks with medieval past lives around here and elsewhere, and there are a lot of folks who connect with it (Ren Faire, anyone?) but I'd only ever felt a bit of distaste with the era. Hopefully soon I'll figure out why, but since it's taken so long to even notice, I'm willing to have patience and I'm happy with what I've got :thumbsup:

My name was Miriam I came from nobility

I stated in my days of Avalon post.

As child I felt free in that life with forest so close.

That life I had the most compassion I can recall.

It's really hard for me to remember any lives before the 1800's for some reason. The most recent lives really just seem to consume so much of my energy, though processes, and time. I do believe I have lived many lives though as I feel connected to the past and times/places/people such as feudal Japan and Native Americans. I do believe I had a live in the Middle Ages and it would be so nice one day to find out what it was.

Back