The problem with physical resemblance used as evidence for past lives.

Discussion in 'SCIENTIFIC and ANECDOTAL research' started by Native Son, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Native Son

Native Son Senior Member

In my opinion, claiming a previous life based on physical similarities is a most illogical argument for the use as evidence of reincarnation. Actually I consider it counterproductive for winning the argument on the truth of reincarnation, since it can be scientifically shown that physical similarities can occur without any connections whatsoever. And if reincarnation is to be taken seriously, it must be consistent, above all. Truth is consistent, and most of all truth is not irrational. If physical resemblance is a truth in reincarnation, then we will all find our previous lives lookalikes, and a series of them, and not just a single coincidental one.

It is a widely accepted fact that people living at the same time can look similar in their physical features. And I don't mean twins within the same family.

Scientists Explain How Total Strangers Can Pass for Twins.
    https://www.womenshealthmag.com/health/a19913994/twin-strangers/

Speedwell and KenJ like this.
  2. Jaimie

Jaimie Senior Member

I agree. I do think it is the sum of memories to have been found accurate and the simulatity in looks, the same persona, essence, little things, habits if you so will, that amount to the complete picture when prooving reincarnation, not just the fact that one look alike, which like you point out can be random. I do think the looks in reincarnation can shift depending if it is for example for a certain purpose that one will be viewed differently.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    KenJ likes this.
  3. Speedwell

Speedwell Senior Registered

I agree, the fact that present-day unrelated strangers can look almost identical is a good reason why physical resemblance cannot be a primary means of identification.

Having said that, there are much subtler clues which may appear as a physical characteristic. Think of how our state of mind affects our facial expression or mannerisms. The character, personality and mood can affect how we look. This may be reflected in physical appearance. But bear in mind that for such things as passport photographs, the aim is to subdue all these effects - no smiling or face-pulling. The superficial is what is captured, not the inner self.

I've seen a number of photos of my past-life self. In most of them I don't much resemble the picture, not a good match at all. But there is at least one where the facial expression, the inner-self showing through was so surprisingly like my own that I was shocked, it felt like looking in a mirror, that person looked more like me than any body-double ever would.

I suppose my conclusion is: look inside, not outside.

Klaud, landsend and Ophelia3 like this.
  4. Klaud

Klaud Senior Member

I didn't look like any of my past selves either. I was lucky enough to be able to get a good look at a few of them and only one looked anything like me. He had a similar face and hair color, but his hair was a bit lighter than mine.

The only constant similarity throughout all of them was in the eyes. The color might have changed, but the essence didnt.

5. 4d4m

4d4m New Member

It has been noted that all of a persons genome is not organized at birth. As a soul looks into his or her parents face as a newborn they begin to mimic that appearance. That is a reflection of how they feel; their bonding experience. This is necessary for the survival of most mammals because of the time necessary to achieve full independence. However, if a soul still identifies with their past life, and to what degree they do, they may resemble their former self. If they are proud of their accomplishments, or in the case of extreme sociopaths.
    It might also be noted that old souls who have had repeated lifetimes might have more of a tendency to appear the same throughout their existence. There are other factors; for instance a person might be influenced as a child by outside forces. or other souls, enough to make them appear as a different person.
    It is correct to say that appearance is not the sole determining factor in this kind of research. The same may be said of birth charts, especially with the current birth rate and reincarnation rate. However, when used together they provide stronger evidence that you are on the right track.

KenJ likes this.
  6. Owl

Owl Super-alt Mitglied

If what you are saying is correct and there's some structural genetic modifications occurring after birth, then that's great news. However, while I heard of certain genes being silenced or expressed during the course of a lifetime due to environmental factors, I haven't heard of the genome not being organized. What do you mean by it? How can a body even be created in a human fashion if their genome is disorganized?

7. 4d4m

4d4m New Member

The face is still growing, new cells are forming as a child grows. The facial characteristics are not set. The genes in those as yet to be produced cells is not set in stone. Using the expression "the genome is not organized" is probably an incorrect way of saying it, my apologies. There are changes that occur in one's lifetime due to environmental factors, but could there be other factors as well? Could one consciously, or subconsciously change one's physical appearance as they mature?

8. Owl

Owl Super-alt Mitglied

Well, our genes are never set in stone, otherwise people would not have cancer. Can there be other factors besides environmental factors that affect our gene expression? I think you mean psychological factors, and the answer is also yes too, that's why some people develop a disease after emotional stress. However, the fact that our gene expression is malleable in this sense is not that much proof of reincarnation, maybe even the opposite.

4d4m likes this.
  9. Totoro

Totoro Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

This is really interesting.. My family and I look almost identical to our past selves. But we've also maintained the same family structure for at least the two recent past lives I know of. My theory has been that your "energy" imprints the development of your body. I suppose if you take an entire family into account, it just magnifies the effect.

However, I also agree with something that was said in a related discussion. More ethnic families are likely to reincarnate together than those who don't come from those backgrounds. I thought my experience was common, but from talking to people here, I've found, at least in the west, it's not a typical case.

So perhaps singular reincarnations have less of an effect on their bodies and may be why not everyone has a total resemblances. Overall though, it's only one part of the puzzle. I think by far verifiable, relatively unknown information is the way to go about verification.

4d4m likes this.
  10. 4d4m

4d4m New Member

That is interesting what you are saying about ethnic families. Possibly a closer bond because of a shared sense of identity and/or feelings of isolation from the larger part of society? The book Mission to Milborough is about a group of people who reincarnated in a community together and with past life regression discovered they lived in a community together previously.
    Owl the malleability of the genes isn't proof of reincarnation. My previous point is that we know of some people who do maintain similar facial characteristics from the past. This is not always the case and cannot therefore be the only evidence one uses in determining if they have found the reincarnated soul they seek. Birth charts can be another form of evidence but are also not sufficient. When the Dhali Lama is sought for by the other Lamas they find all the boys born within the correct time period and then take them to Tibet and give rigorous tests to determine who he is.

AlteSeele likes this.