This world has gone mad!

Discussion in 'Members Lounge' started by briski, Dec 5, 2018.

1. briski

briski Senior Registered

Recording consent before on a smart phone, wow, because men are scared of being falsely accused.

2. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

A bit of a passion killer no doubt. I have nothing to do with women nowadays so I dunno how bad its got. I do know that the current generation is different from past ones. They mostly don't even seem to know how to have a banter. They seem much more content on Facebook than in real life to me.

SeaAndSky and briski like this.
  3. SeaAndSky

SeaAndSky Senior Registered

Hi Jim,

You are definitely correct. Here is my offering on the topic of the totally screwed up situation between the sexes. I recently found out that one of my old favorites was banned by a radio station from being played as a seasonal favorite because "she/he said no and the opp. sex did not take this as a final word and immediately desist in all efforts" . . . etc.

I dunno. IMO, if she was REALLY INSISTENT in the first scene, he would be opening the door for her and helping her get home. She is obviously conflicted rather than adamant and he is trying to delay, delay, delay and try to get her to change her mind. Likewise, if he was really that intent on leaving in the second scene, she could not physically stop him from going.

As a father with daughters I am sorta sympathizing with the girl in the first scene and would--for the usual parental reasons--like her to succeed in being a "good" girl. However, as an old romantic myself, I appreciate the dynamics and humorously romantic interplay between the sexes in both scenes. In any case, if I thought the male romantic lead was forcing anything I would be screaming bloody murder. Also, this is from an old romantic musical comedy (i.e., the opposite of serious drama and "real life"). People are overthinking this stuff, which was intended to be humorous and is just light fluff meant to put a smile on your face.

Cordially,
    S&S

4. AlexD

AlexD aka Shadow

Yea S&S but this is real life and it seems most people have no idea how trust one another or communicate at all.

SeaAndSky and briski like this.
  5. briski

briski Senior Registered

So true, and so sad unfortunately society is going so wrong at the moment

SeaAndSky likes this.
  6. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

Hi S&S. There have been times where myself and a lady has played a game of winning consent. Most of the fun was in what wasn't said not what was. It seems that nowadays one must thread on eggshells around women. One must take innuendo and flirting as a lack of consent. Even if a woman invites you to banter and flirt one must not bite for fear of being too pushy. I'd rather be single than put in that much restrictive work myself.

SeaAndSky and SeekerOfKnowledge like this.
  7. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

I agree Alex and briski.

briski likes this.
  8. SeaAndSky

Hi Alex,

Maybe if they'd actually gone through their training in relating to other people by doing so in person rather than via facebook, text, etc. etc. things would be different. Maybe if they'd get their blasted noses out of their cell phones things could still be different. However, I am afraid that the rot runs much deeper than that.

Cordially,
    S&S

9. briski

briski Senior Registered

That baby its cold outside has been banned on many radio stations. I didnt realise until i looked it up

10. SeaAndSky

Well, apropos the fact that the world has gone mad, maybe this particular song had more to do with this than I thought. Apparently, it is implicated if not "instrumental" (bad pun) in beginning the most recent period of Jihad loosed on the West. There is an interesting article on this point here:

https://www.breitbart.com/entertain...ered-the-godfather-of-the-muslim-brotherhood/

Many additional sources are linked in the article and are worth a read, such as these two:

https://www.theatlantic.com/daily-dish/archive/2007/01/qutb-in-america/231305/

https://www.5280.com/2010/08/al-qaedas-greeley-roots/

I found all of this, frankly, astonishing. But one small pebble can start an avalanche, where an avalanche is precariously poised to happen. So it goes. But it seems like a very strange thing that the innocent and culturally inept attempts at hospitality by a small post-war town should have led to the latest wave of mass murder and butchery by the historic promoters of this type of thing. On that, though, I should probably not be surprised. The instigators of Jihad began as a destructive avalanche set loose on the world, and it never seems to take much to get them rolling down the slope again. OTOH, there were certainly plenty of more "worldly" types where Qutb came from. One has to wonder where the world would be if some other person or persons had made the trip. I'd like to think this would have made a difference, but probably not in the long run. Where there is an avalanche ready and waiting to happen, there will eventually be a pebble to set it off.

S&S

11. tanker

tanker Senior Registered

All too depressing for me ...

briski and SeekerOfKnowledge like this.
  12. SeekerOfKnowledge

SeekerOfKnowledge Learner

The world has gone mad a long time ago. Maybe it always was.

Spirit Sword and tanker like this.
  13. tanker

tanker Senior Registered

Mad since humans came into it. And maybe chimpanzees.

14. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

Life has always fed on life so I would say the world was built mad.

15. tanker

tanker Senior Registered

I've always had a problem with the way it's built too. I don't like the way nature works, life feeding on life. But humans (and chimpanzees, it seems, in terms of mob killing) go one level further. Feeding is cruel but a necessary instinct for survival, and balances nature. Man displays cruelty for its own sake ... and is also capable of enjoying it. And man destroys the very things that sustain life. That's got to be mad.

16. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

Yea tanker. The worlds just sunk deeper into madness since humans came along.

In another topic There and back again pointed out that if everyone remembered reincarnation there would be no racism. I find an overall awareness of reincarnation would reduce many of life's problems.

Why then, does a creator set this world up to be ignorant. Humanity is flailing in the dark and making many judgements and mistakes. It seems to me that for some reason a lack of awareness of reincarnation contributes to the madness. Why would a Creator leave everyone to madness?

AlexD and SeekerOfKnowledge like this.
  17. SeekerOfKnowledge

Why would a creator, an infallible source which is benevolent, loving, merciful and has ultimate power allow so much stupidity and suffering?
    I have wondered often. And I seem to remember that I once got smacked by a teacher for asking a question in that direction (but I'm not even sure what country and century that was, before 1900, though).
    OK, so humans have been given free will. Freedom is a nice thing to have, of course.
    But why create beings that are so... cruel, egoistical and all and then allow them to cause so much suffering for others?

tanker likes this.
  18. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

Hi SeekerOfKnowledge.

It seems to me that when human souls go to the life between lives we shed our egos and our negativity. We exist in unity, peace, understanding and love. A far less chaotic existence than we get here on Earth.

It also seems that we know more of a Creators intentions. Why else would we consciously endure Earthbound incarnations? We seem to accept the madness. Perhaps in spirit we know that if you spare the rod you spoil the child. We know we need the human experience.

Personally I think that the most likely explanation is that life is a morality play. It seems that in reality every creature is impervious and immortal in spirit but we are given the illusion of mortality to experience harm, fear, doubt, uncertainty, our capacity for good, our capacity for evil, faith, lack of faith and on and on. These are things that the life between lives doesn't seem to be able to provide.

The following scene always meant something to me. Imagine Picard is Earthbound man challenging God ( Q). Wanting to know why he doesn't get a direct answer. 'All the galaxies a stage' refers to reincarnation being a stage. 'Life is but a walking shadow' refers to the life between lives and 'what a piece of work is man' refers to mans ultimate destiny and reasons for engaging in the earth play:

I truly believe we incarnate on Earth to morally grow towards God. Right now though, in the 21st century, we are still primatives...children playing in Earths sandpit.

My life lessons and experiences have reinforced that belief I have in mans ultimate destiny. I could be wrong though. I could just think that because of how my minds constructed.

AlexD, tanker and SeekerOfKnowledge like this.
  19. tanker

tanker Senior Registered

Yes, I've asked priests these questions many times, and had no satisfactory answers. I've also asked them why a merciful creator would design a world where innocent animals have a life of need, fear and suffering. Still no answer. Man can bear responsibility for his own suffering, but animals can't. Innocence and beauty, destroyed millions of times a day. I can't forgive that.

Jim78 and SeekerOfKnowledge like this.
  20. SeekerOfKnowledge

This is taking me down again, as is another thread in this forum...
    Redirecting...
    What can I do to reduce suffering? My own as well as the suffering of others? As small as it may be?
    Forgiveness... I should forgive those who harmed me, and I should forgive myself. The latter sometimes comes hard, though.
    Gratefulness... there are many things to be grateful for in this life.
    Yet still, so much cruelty on this planet, so much suffering, there's still war, and it sometimes looks like mankind didn't learn anything.
    Children and animals can't even speak for themselves...

briski, Jim78 and tanker like this.