Through a glass darkly

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Jim78, Feb 6, 2019.

?

Are you a warrior soul or were you involved in war by circumstance?

1. Warrior soul

8 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. Circumstance

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

I find this forum to be a great thing in my life.

Lately I've been particularly thinking about all the reflections on war that have come from other members. Many have given me great insight and reaffirmed my own past life memories because I can relate to what other soldiers have said.

Its been a great support and I thank everyone for that.

Yet I realised that these reflections have been spread over many topics in this forum. There's no one place where they can be found.

I was just wondering what everyone who has been a soldier or a warrior in a past ( or current ) life actually thinks about war?

What lessons have you learned from it?

How has the experiences changed you?

Do you feel that you have a warrior spirit or were you there merely by circumstance?

I'm interested in hearing the replies. I've personally found great healing in sharing with others. I feel happy that I'm not alone too.

Kalos, landsend, tanker and 1 other person like this.
  2. fireflydancing

fireflydancing just a fly in the sky Staff Member Super Moderator

Warrior without War

I think you forgot options.
    I am a warrior without a war.
    I just don’t like war but my mind could do it all, the fighting, the strategics, the killings.

Just don’t want to do it. As a child I was once attacked by a bully: two seconds and he lay on the floor and I was still standing. My hands hadn’t touched him as I had blocked his attack with my right leg and a special move. It was a reflex. I must have been 8 years old.

Later in life, there have been more intentions to assault me but I stay deadly calm and they backed down. They don’t dare. And they are right. I am fearless and if I would be provoked I would fight till death. No matter what.
    I trust myself, don’t need training. Anything can be a weapon and the best of all: surprise (and full blow on the vital or weak parts). Sorry!

But I don’t want this. And I don’t idolize the mentality.

landsend likes this.
  3. tanker

tanker Senior Registered

Jim, it will be interesting to hear what other soldiers think, and it's a good idea to start this thread.

I only have one PL that I'm certain of, so there's not a lot to compare it with. But I've put 'warrior soul' rather than circumstance, because in my PL I had chosen to be a career soldier rather than having it forced on me.

What do I think about war? I think it's a complete waste of young lives, for a start, whole generations disappearing, frequently for nothing. We destroy everything, we build it up again, we destroy it again, ad nauseam. I am anti-violence, anti-war. Having said that, it's clear that given human nature, wars continue to be inevitable and in some cases, necessary. But personally I would want nothing to do with them, even if I was young enough to fight. I would find other ways of making myself useful for a cause. After all I experienced in WW2, I shall not take up arms again.

What lessons have I learned from it? Personally, I'm not sure if there are any for me. I suppose I've learned that many things can be achieved by diplomacy rather than aggression, but most of my 'lesson' is realising the utter futility of such wars.

How has it changed me? That's difficult to say. None of us knows how we would have been had we not been fighting soldiers. I'd say only that it's given me an insight into the pointlessness of fighting, when so many of your enemies are little different from yourself. But then, I've always been too idealistic, I'm told.

Kalos, Kenz1010 and landsend like this.
  4. landsend

landsend Senior Registered

I find it hard to classify myself in either category, but probably am leaning more towards the first category. The reason behind that is that sometimes the circumstances create the warrior drive, at least that has been my experience. What creates the urge to fight in the first place? At least my experience, it was because I was a victim of certain circumstances, which then created the urge in me to no longer be the victim. Also, the need for justice was involved in that fighting urge. This was something subconscious, and something that happened over several lifetimes. The rest I wont lie, it was about having an adventure and not being stuck in a boring desk job. Is that equally part of the 'warrior spirit'? I still find it hard to stay in jobs I don't enjoy, and the longest job I've ever held is where I've been self-employed.

Like tanker I was a career officer, went to war because it was my duty, and my job. I can say that about my last life, at least.

Kenz1010 likes this.
  5. Kenz1010

Kenz1010 Senior Registered

Those are some good questions Jim, and this is a very interesting thread.

I think my outlook on war is a bit complicated, and I’m still very young and my outlook will probably change in the future. But as of right now; I honestly haven’t thought of it much, but I guess I have some mixed feelings about it. Of course it would be nice if people didn’t turn to violence and tried to solve things in a different way, but that’s not the reality of the world we live in, and I don’t think that will change any time soon. War is part of our history as a whole, and it seems that history tends to repeat itself. I don’t really agree with violence/ war in the grand scheme of things, but with the world we live in other options don’t always seem to be available. I’m sure others will have more insightful replies about this topic than me haha

As for the lessons I’ve learned from it, I’m not quite sure yet. I’m still in the motions of everything, still in the “figuring things out” process it seems. I’m curious as to the lessons you’ve learned from your past?

I’d say this experience has changed me immensely. My outlook on certain things, myself as a person, my soul. But I mean, how could it not? I think the past would’ve been dug up sooner or later for me, just seems it came at a more difficult time in my life and has been making things a bit more difficult. I’m just thankful to have a good bunch of people here on forum and elsewhere.

As for if I feel I was a warrior spirit, well. We’ve been talking a lot in private and it seems that actually may be the case. But I can’t say with absolute certainty if it was all circumstance or something different.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    landsend likes this.
  6. landsend

My thoughts about war have been clarified after recalling my life as Terry. In the past, anything to do with war, and more specifically Vietnam, would make me switch off. I knew that I should be against violence, and against war, but something never sat well with me regarding hippies and anti-war protesters. And that's considering me and my other half are friends with some hippies (who are nice people -- if you dont mention politics). Now I know why I feel this way. The huge anti-war movement during the Vietnam War was devastating to those who had to fight, who chose to fight, and especially for those who were incarcerated in the Vietnamese prison system.

It's not a black and white issue for me, it's not war = bad, lets end all wars. It's more along the lines of... war happened, and it happens. And it will happen. Will we sit on the sidelines, and talk about how bad it is? Or, will we be part of it in some future world? I do strongly believe in freedom, and standing up for freedom. Most in the Western world don't realise how much freedom we truly have, and what all that cost.

7. AlexD

AlexD aka Shadow

Hi Jim. Ever since I started putting the pieces of my past together I noticed how conflict was a recurring theme for me too. My soul got involved in similar challenges more than once, although war wasn't exactly my profession in any of the lives I can remember. From an administrative role to physician and even just a worker, I've started my lives in different ways but circumstances seem to have brought me to a bitter end for some reason. Opposition and/or conflict wasn't my ideal or my vocation, but rather an impulse that I couldn't define consciously. In my beliefs, I call it destiny, something my soul found itself compelled to follow, for any other option was out of my realm of perception... it was inconceivable to me back when I made my choices. Yet now I can see how, in different ways, my actions had consequences on other people as well... at some point I had a family and my choices affected them and put their safety at risk. It came natural to think that I could simply make choices for everyone because they felt right to me. At the very beginning of my remembered existence I had no regrets at all, but that was a long time ago, and I had no time to reflect upon this for it all ended in ashes very quickly. Later on I had to face loss and karma, and eventually I eclipsed, affected by the direct consequences of my actions. In more recent times I was living in peace until the communists invaded my country to force their regime on us. I found it inconceivable to tolerate foreign invaders depriving citizens of their property and destroying their creed, this brought me to lead a group, make antipropaganda, and end up being arrested and executed. Even at my trial I clearly told them that I had no regrets, and that if I'd had to find myself in the same circumstances, I would have done it all again. Well, that's exactly what happened after I died and reincarnated. I guess I was a man of my word, or rather I was extremely stubborn to choose a repeat.
    In all the lives I remember I did some questionable things. In earlier times it was about killing people, even just indirectly... it was tactical, acceptable or simply justified for me. At the same time I think that we were people of our times, when humanity still hadn't reached the concept of respecting human rights. In a more recent life my fight was mainly based on information and propaganda rather than having people killed, even though we probably contemplated the option of an armed opposition at the right circumstances -a point we never really reached.
    The conflict I have experienced in this life was of a yet different type, it was personal, mental, and even psychic. The pinnacle of conflicts in my view, as when the psyche is involved all darkness projected outward is also reflected inward. I decided to step away from my own personal war as I saw it consuming my soul slowly, yet I still couldn't let go of my resentment. It only faded when I realized the true nature of my opponent. Something that, in my opinion, was too determined by destiny.

I don't know where the circumstances of my current life will bring me, but I am hoping to have a peaceful time and live long enough to become wiser this time. In hindsight I think there is much potential in me that I couldn't fully express in other occasions, for lack of time or wrong circumstances. After all I don't think that conflict can define us as souls. It affected our cycle of lives and manifested in many different variations of the same theme, life after life, but it's not what can really define the essence of a soul. Looking back at my earlier times I know there are things that I would never do again, so I can reasonably say that I am no longer the same as before, and even though my character and emotions have remained unchanged, I have still learned something from my experiences.

glia21 and Peace of mind like this.
  8. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

Hi fireflydancing.

In my current life I am a warrior without war...but that doesn't mean I didn't fight. My war wasn't against army's with guns. It was a psychological war. Perhaps that kind if war is the last war for a warrior soul.

When I was a child I was bullied to. I used to say "I'm a pacifist. I'm a pacifist" to no avail. Then I unleashed what was truly in me and all rattled before my wrath....by saying I'm a pacifist I was trying to be what I am not.

I only really felt at home fighting. I know no other way.

Peace of mind likes this.
  9. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

I was also a career soldier tanker. So I can relate.

Yup. War is a waste. Its feels pointless yet there were reasons we fought. Those passions are dust in me now though...I see no good in war.

I admire that you've kept your idealism through war. That's more than I've done.

10. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

I understand what you mean landsend. I felt it was my duty too. To be honest I still feel that way. Duty is a comfort blanket for me....it justifies everything I do. I feel upright and direct when doing my duty. I feel like a soldier. I feel at home.

11. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

Hi kenz.

The lessons I've learned are many but chief among them is justification. I thought I was being a good soldier, I thought I was fighting injustices, I felt justified. I was wrong. How much brutality can a man inflict in the name of righteousness? How much can he excuse?

War results in darkness on ones soul. Is it a sacrifice or is it simply an expression of who we are?

Kenz1010 likes this.
  12. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

I know what you mean landsend. I always tried to do what was in line with my moral core yet now that that core has been questioned where do I go from here?

13. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

Hi Alex.

I understand what you mean. For me the progression of my past lives is akin to climbing a mountain. Now I'm at the pinnacle so where do I go from here?Back down? The route might be easier with experience but will I simply be rethreading old ground? I can't say. Life is a mystery.

All I know is that I have to go somewhere from here.

14. glia21

glia21 Senior Registered

Hi
    I remember two life times connected with wars, one as a plain roman soldier and another in the 1700s when I joined in for the adventure. After a very short time of fighting in a battle I realized the mess and brutality, realized what I was doing, and horrified I broke down crying not able to fight anymore. So I don't consider myself a warrior soul.
    Duty is a word thats very far away from me. What I do have is responsibility for my deeds. Responsibility for my family. To kill somebody always leaves a dead body behind and if you kill someone you are a murderer, as simple as that, and to me certainly no hero. Duty and only following orders makes no difference to me. There is no such thing as a war for peace or for freedom - the main reasons are always money and power. I wouldn't want to support that.
    Anyway, it is interesting to read your POVs.

Peace of mind likes this.
  15. landsend

Glia,

I appreciate what you are saying -- but another view on this is -- what if an invading Army landed in your country, they started to blow up the infrastructures, murder people, rape women, take slaves and basically say you have no right to live on that land because it now belongs to them. Is fighting back not fighting to defend your freedom?

16. landsend

I do appreciate that many wars are motivated by power/money/resources (if not all wars), but that doesn't mean that folks should not defend themselves if need be. That is how any ordinary person can get tangled up in war, or a cycle of war lifetimes.

17. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

I keep reading on this site people saying all wars are for money and power. The Irish war was about giving power and prosperity to all the people of Ireland.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proclamation_of_the_Irish_Republic

The signatories were executed by the British. Did they die in the pursuit of money and power or did they die in the pursuit of freedom from Britain?

The Irish revolution wasn't about 'greedy bankers', it was a peoples revolution. In the decades that followed that was compromised by those in power but just over five years ago I attempted to turn the tide back towards the original intent of the signatories. Sometimes fighting is about patrioticism, whether one is fighting a war against foreign oppression or a war against domestic corruption.

I think to say all war is about money and power does a disservice to those who fought.

Kalos, landsend and AlexD like this.
  18. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

19. Peace of mind

Peace of mind New Member

You can kill an enemy before he points the gun at you, and you can say you did it for freedom. You can even invade to another country and start killing for freedom. There is not a pure defencive war. You are ready to kill even sleeping people. Because they could enslave you or your friends tomorrow. No matter if you kill women or children as well. You don't want to see a new enemy generation growing.
    I would like to see more reincarnation in this thread.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  20. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

I agree Peace of mind. One can justify any act in the name of freedom. I had my limits of what I would do but others did not share my restrictions, this led to escalation.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exe...War#The_Ballyseedy_Massacre_and_its_aftermath

I find that the fight for freedom is a slippery slope indeed.

I think there's some truth in this video. Does the pursuit of peace through brutality make one appear to be courageous? Does saving thousands justify brutalising one individual? Can we explain away wantonly immoral acts because we think they are linked to a higher purpose? Where does it stop?

It is for these reasons that I can no longer engage in war. I realise now that I'm not saving anyone, I'm simply leading them down a dark, slippery path.

Its a blight on ones soul.