Traits that carry over

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Stef, Oct 2, 2000.

1. Persephone79

Persephone79 New Member

I look similar to how I looked in my past life, although my hair is straight instead of curly this time. I also brought with me my love of animals (my friends jokingly call my house "the zoo").
    I love to play hostess, and write real letters to people on pretty stationery. Unfortunatley, no one ever does that anymore. All I get in the mail is bills. :(
    I don't know if this is related to my past life or not, but I've always felt older than I was. My husband teases me. He says most people have an inner child, but I have an inner old woman, lol.

2. Tinkerman

Tinkerman Administrator Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm certain my love of farming and the great outdoors is a carry-over trait.

But probably the greatest trait is the intensity and understanding of love. Before I understood reincarnaton or even thought about it, I knew and had this feeling. I suppose one could call it romance. BUT not romance in the typical understanding of the word...romance as Robert Waller once wrote about...the intensity, the appreciation of and the depth of understanding in all things. The reflection inside the dew drop sitting on a rose bud, the play of a two week old puppy, the warm soft touch of a lovers back on a rainy, stormy morning. You get the point. Any way I'm sure that came from my previous life with Emma. The memories are themselves infinitely beautiful traits.

3. ladywoodcarver

ladywoodcarver Senior Registered

Unlike a lot of members here, I don't have detailed memories of past lives.
    I have very vivid snipets from dreams which I am sure were past lives. They were so real, and I was someone else besides who I am now, and they were not dreamlike. I mean, nothing odd happened in them like in all my regular dreams (people changing from one person to another, trying to get from one place to another, flying with no plane,...things like that make me know it is a dream).

One snipet I had like this was in the early 1980's I dreamed of myself in Egypt, I was a young man, an apprentice doing manual labor, but of a minor kind. I was carving symbols into wood planks that I knew would be used as sign posts for an upcoming festival. There were workers all around me doing similar things, all cheerfull and looking forward to the festival. One seemed to be a good friend of mine as we were both working on the same wood board but on different parts of it. We were laughing and joking.
    In my mind I was picturing how this wood board would fit into the whole scheme of things, and I couldn't wait to see it finished. I feel that I was working at a place right between the Sphinx and two of the pyramids. I remember hearing a happy commotion behind me and turning to look towards the Sphinx. All I remember was that there was a big crowd over there making a sudden happy bunch of noise. There was joy in the air.
    I woke up just then, but I sure wish I could remember more of it.

Anyway, I started woodcarving in the mid 1990's, I don't know if I was influenced by that dream or not. I have always had an interest in carving wood, and even did two carvings in high school (late 70's), but they were done with power tools, and I didn't enjoy that process. I really do enjoy carving with knives and hand tools so much more. I have been doing all kinds of art since I was tiny but sculpture and carving just call out to me.

I like to think these things are related! :)
    Donna

4. ssake

ssake Senior Registered

I don't have very many specific past-life memories, just a handful of glimpses, and no idea of what I looked like in past lives. But I do have a very clear sense of traits carried over, too many to list. One that has become clear to me is a tendency to isolate myself, not to invest in groups--you can see that here because I contribute, but I don't fully "join" the group emotionally. This comes from at least a couple lifetimes of having been rejected by a group (a music school) I was eagerly trying to join, in one life; and being betrayed and murdered by a small group I was leading, in another--that is, if what I saw in a regression with Dr. Woolger was accurate.

You know the stereotype of the mad organist locked in his tower playing Bach's "Toccata in D Minor"? I feel like this was me, except that it wasn't anything like the ridiculing image the public has (not that I was the only one, I'm just saying I was like this). I was struggling with unbearable grief, had immersed myself in esoteric studies to answer it, and my main solice other than my library was that I had become a master organist. I was so proficient that I could completely lose myself in the music. But I was so driven by grief that I was unbalanced mentally. When I was a kid in this life, the poem "The Raven" by Poe struck a deep chord with me (so to speak).

As a kid, I used to listen to Bach organ music, which my parents had a couple albums of, and I felt complete immersion in it, easily memorizing every note. I also took organ lessons, but felt almost completely blocked from that skill. Today, if I sit down at a keyboard, I feel a great frustration that I *should* be able to just rip off the notes effortlessly, and yet these hands I have now won't do it.
    Steve S.

5. Kathleen J

Kathleen J Senior Registered

Traits I was apparently born with, since nothing in this life can account for them ...

I prefer clothing which covers, as opposed to reveals. I like collars which cover the neck, like tall lace Victoria collars, or simply turtlenecks. Clothing which is tailored and form-fitting is held to be more flattering in my opinion than anything loose and flowing. As I have been told that I keep walls around myself, my clothing of choice may be a representation of this. I don't like clothes that make me too "accessible", if you know what I mean.

I like military uniforms, the old classy stuff with feathers and fringe, not modern fatigues. Shining black books clacking against the cobblestone in unison. Leather drums (lots of them) beating out a pulse, makes my heart soar.

In fact, anything really, where lots of people are doing the same thing in unison, is highly magnetic to me. Individuals acting together as a unit to create something larger than themselves, is almost a religious event in my mind. When I first saw "Riverdance" and the dozens of dancers were stamping in unison, and those big leathern drums were beating out a thunderous heartbeat in the background, why I nearly collapsed in tears - it made me so happy.

I have a great kinship toward Ireland and England. I long for the "old ways" of medicine and magic, and get angry when close-minded people scoff at astrology and ancient healing techniques without knowing the first thing about them. Like the words in that song by Sting - I have lost my faith in science and progress.

I prefer doors within the house to be open, and I don't like not knowing what lays behind them. I have a fear of large noisy crowds or mobs, and find I cannot attend big sporting events when people around me are behaving like madmen. Perhaps a past-life death at the hands of a witch-hunt mob is to blame for this feeling. I remember a need to hide from some malevolent force.

I have a fear of pregnancy, and since I was child had absolutely no desire to be a "mommy" even in play. I liked the grown-up dolls (Barbie, etc.) better than the baby dolls, when these were given to me as gifts. Much preferable were puzzles and books.

As mentioned by others here, I felt like I should be able to sit at the piano and play beautifully. Likewise, I should be able to create pleasing images of art. The desire is there, but the talent appears to be lacking this time around.

I have always had good penmanship, perhaps from a previous scribe career. It has always seemed appropriate to write clearly since others may have to read it someday. Besides, there is a right and wrong way to make letters, why not do it the right way? My first exposure to Egyptian Heiroglyphs was an old copy of National Geographic someone had loaned to my family, when I was about four. I remember being mesmerised by the pictograms and "pretending" I could read them, which highly amused my parents.

A few years ago I saw a painting of a young lady, and my mother who was with me at the time, said "She looks like you." And indeed she did. I could not take my eyes off the painting - the face, the pose, even the dress were incredibly (albiet distantly) familiar. I know full well who the young lady was - the portrait was labelled - but I would choose to not disclose that here. (I do not wish to be categorized as one of those past life believers who claim to have been celebrities.) Suffice it to say, she was an aristocrat by birth, a woman of wealth but hardly one of leisure. She would have had servants, and at the same time her role would have been one of inescapable service, of sorts. In this life, I struggle with service. There are aspects of it I adore, and others which I cannot bear. I suspect Karma is giving me the opportunity to view the slipper on the other foot.

I have enjoyed reading the previous posts in this thread. I hope I have not bored you with mine.

Kathleen

6. sirona86

sirona86 Senior Registered

i belive i've brought back alot of the traits i had during my military lifetimes. respect and seniority is a BIG deal to me. i explode when anyone talks to me even with a hint of condescension or in a tone i think is inappropriate, especially someone who 'ranks' lower than me in terms of age. I abhorr being told what to do and often find myself telling people to 'stop ordering me around'. I think this comes from either being ordered about to much during my miltary lifetimes, or being too used to giving them. I like organising things and being the leader in a group. I also am interested in weapons and warfare, especially medieval warfare. I have a fascination with guns, and have always wanted to fire one.

7. Caillean

Caillean Senior Registered

Some of the traits I brought back:

- my ability to write (stories, poetry, scientific texts) and to express myself in the written way
    - quick learner
    - "musical ear" (and to learn very fast new instruments, to sing)
    - painting and drawing
    - to rely on diplomatic skills sometimes and to hate quarrells
    - my "obsession" about exploring and studying new cultures, to see new places and travelling
    - to learn
    - to get to know new people that stand out of the crowd
    - to preserve and cherish the cultural heritage of certain cultures (native american, celtic, viking, maya, aztec, egypt, etc.)

Caillean

8. saber

saber Senior Registered

traits from a past life

The past life that has greatly affected me in this life was a past life I had in France in the late 1600's to early 1700's.

When I started learning about the person I was in that time, I still felt a lot of the same personality traits deep within, I knew and understood the issues that I had in that time because they were still a part of me.

However, it seems that because of Karma issues, I don't act on the impulses in this life like I did when I was in that time. Which means, I learned my lesson....however the traits are still there.

Also, I was a dancer in that lifetime and since I was a young child as early as 4, I had the natural ability of dance. I never took ballet, but naturally knew ballet type movements and had an unusual natural ability in rhythmical movements as well.

After my spiritual enlightening experience, I began developing a dance, drawing from my insticts and knowledge from this past life and am beginning to teach this dance in the new year.

My hypnotherapist/psychic consultant propheticially quoted this elegant statement about the dance I developed.

"Solarhythmical Dancing is dreaming the dances of our past life spirits and bringing them forward in time to heal us in this life. The Dance surrounds and consumes us with its beauty of movement and gifts of healing".

Peace,

Saber

9. mertzie

mertzie Senior Registered

Opal Whiteley

Seeing this thread prompted me to change my avatar! :)

Opal is part of my entity, and I have been trying to upload an image of her for my avatar for a long time. There are several books out about her, the most well-known being, The Singing Creek Where the Willows Grow.

She and I look a lot alike. I have known that Opal was me for decades, but I just recently told my teenaged son, showed him pictures of her (and pictures of me at the same age), and he said, "Yeah, she looks like you." The first time I read her book, I sobbed.

She was raised in Oregon, about 60 miles south of where I was raised. She was a prolific writer and nature lover (I am an English teacher and nature lover). We both collect(ed) books. My birthday is Dec. 20; hers was Dec.11, the birthday of my current sister.

Opal and I are (were) both interested in the spiritual and how the mind creates reality. There are many, many similarities that I won't bore you with, but I wanted to say that she looks like me. Not all past life incarnations look alike, but I have seen three of mine that look a lot like me. She is the only one I have a picture of. :) If I can figure out how to put photos from my computer here, I'll post look-alike pictures of me.

10. Eevee

Eevee Administrator/Archivist Staff Member

Hi Mertzie !,

That is so cool that you were Opal. I read a large part of her book online (I should look up the site again to continue reading !). I just loved the names she gave to all the animals. She surely was a very spiritual person, the way she talks about everything what happens in her daily life.
    And now that you mention it, I can clearly see the resemblance between you and her ! So neat !

Love,

Eevee

11. Dawn o the Shed

Dawn o the Shed Senior Registered

I'd love to have photo's to be able to compare my present self with! I feel I've been male and female, when I was a child I wanted to be a boy, I ran around in the back garden (which was huge) in my underwear, making bows and arrows, sharpening kitchen knives to razor sharpness, building things out of junk. I wanted to be an Indian brave.
    Once I'd settled into femaleness I liked very striking looks, (if my avatar works you'll see what I mean, me 8 years ago, after losing a lot of weight, fired up for a night out!). I have never, ever had short hair, although I did sport a mohawk at one point!
    I've always had a sense that I died in the first world war, or at least remember darkness, explosions, and being caught on barbed wire, but if I look before that for feelings, I connect very much with the lavish, artistic hedonistic feel of the twenties. I don't know if that's possible.
    Looking through the costume links on here, I've realised I always buy boots (for going out, daytime I'm a tomboy!), which lace up the front, with those odd hook fastenings, and a small flared heel. I found almost exactly the same boots but they were from the twenties! The strange thing is, I'm a tomboy, but when I dress up I become this vamp who is totally unlike me, but I revel in it and recognise it.
    Another thing occured, when I was four or five I used to play out little fantasies, and there was always one where I was wafting around with men falling at my feet! Blimey, I wonder what the heck I got up to in the twenties!!

12. ssake

ssake Senior Registered

If the lifetime that's recently come to my attention is a real match, then I look quite similar. In fact, the longer I let that portrait just rest on the back of my mind, the more I feel that *that* is what I'm *supposed* to look like. I've never quite felt that my face in this life was me, or was right. But the longer I hang out with this portrait, the more I feel like that's right. This isn't proof at all, just what I'm experiencing so far. Still no dreams, or flashbacks, or memories at all. Lots of parallels in career, life history, temperament, etc.
    Steve S.

13. Midnight.Sapphires

Midnight.Sapphires Senior Registered

Similar Past Life Facial Features...

For me, it would be my eyes. I am 100% Asian but I've had friends and strangers ask me if I am mixed-Caucasian/Asian. A couple of people have asked me if was part Portugese. When I asked why they think that, the answer is always the same: "Your eyes are too light for you to be full Asian". They said that when I'm out in the sunlight, my eyes look almost hazel in colour. Others have said that, aside from the colouring, my eyes are "too round" to be Asian (I was born with the double eye folds that many Asians lack but I don't know if this is the reason my eyes look "rounder").

I can't for the life of me figure this one out because when I look in the mirror, all I see are slanted, brown Asian eyes.

I know that almost all of my previous lives, I was not Asian. I think I had only 3 prior lives as an Asian - in my other lives I was Caucasian, South American, American Indian and Quadroon (3/4 white and 1/4 black), so maybe this is the reason for my "odd" eyes. Oh well...:confused:

14. Karoliina

Karoliina Moderator Emerita

It was interesting to read this old thread, because of a recent incident:

Unfortunately I haven't found any photos or pictures of my earlier incarnations, but I think I've seen a portrait of my grandma in the 16th century. And yes, the eyes are very similar! And they are eyes that run in the family (the shape), even before my grandma, so if it's not a coincidence, I'd say she chose to be born in a family with these genetics.

Or then, it's the Universe that's having a laugh with these kinds of things. I'm starting to believe stronger and stronger that the Universe has a good sense of humour and it loves to play little tricks on us :) .

Karoliina

15. ButterFly85

ButterFly85 Senior Registered

Do we change physical appearance from life to life??

I always wondered if we can remember what we looked like in our past life/lives. Is it possible that we may have looked the same way we do now in some lifetime? Or do we change?? Like in some movies where people go back in time and they still look the same. Is that why we can see someone we don't know and say "I've seen you before, you look so familiar??" If anyone has anything on this feel free to enlighten me!

16. Kay

Kay Senior Registered

I beleive that we keep some physical traits from lifetime to lifetime. Some lives I think we can look very much like we have in pastlives and in others not as much. I think we need to take things like gender ,build and race in to consideration changes in these can make us look very different but things like eyes and facial features tend to remain similar.

17. Karoliina

Karoliina Moderator Emerita

I believe we change our appearance, but many people say they can recognize someone from a PL by their eyes. I think it's more about a look in your eyes than a specific colour or shape.

Sometimes I think we can get a clue about our past, however, by finding a photo or a painting and realizing "OMG s/he looks just like me/her/him!"

Karoliina

18. Ailish

Ailish Administrator Emerita

I agree with Karoliina. I believe there can be similarities, but on the whole, we change our appearance from life to life. I know it's completely cliche, but the eyes really are the windows to the soul. As Karoliina pointed out, the colour and shape may change, but there's just something essentially "you" that remains there.

Ailish

19. serendipity

serendipity New Member

Physical appearance changes

A friend told me she was a white man last lifetime and this lifetime she is a very pretty black woman. She told me she had been murdered and was now sort of "hiding", that is how she felt about it.

In my own experience, I remember looking in the mirror (1500's) admiring a handsome dark, curly haired goateed young man and this life am pale and blond female - but I still see "myself" totally, no matter what the appearance. I think that is what any aware person can see, beyond the physical.

This life one friend blurted out my old name last LT, I about fell over! I knew his name too - he looks the same to me but a photo doesn't show it.
    We were best friends then but have little in common now, we actually dated when we met but it was totally a wrong combination, keep in touch now because being pals is still better.

20. Athlynne

Athlynne Senior Registered

Very interesting topic!

In the only past life I can recall, my eyes were pale blue, and they're green now. But although the color is different, looking at her eyes in paintings feels the same as looking into my own. It's strange. As a child I didn't understand why my eyes weren't blue...

I have a friend, though, whose eyes are exactly the same as they were two centuries ago; not the exact same color, but they are the same eyes. Does that make sense at all?