Traits that carry over

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Stef, Oct 2, 2000.

1. michaldembinski

michaldembinski Senior Registered

Warsaw, Poland; 52 degrees North, 21 degrees East
    Good to see a boost for this thread.

There's a consensus here that 'eyes are the window to the soul'. Many of us know this to be true. When my daughter was born, she was given to me to hold while my wife was being attended to (slightly difficult birth); I looked into my daughter's eyes which held a steady gaze into mine (despite what I'd read about new born babies' eyes being unable to focus); I had the intensest feeling that she'd lived before, an old soul. 13 years on my daughter is spiritually the closest person to me on earth. OK - so much by way of personal testimony - the key thing is this: We all hold the 'eyes/window/soul' theory to be true - we see this in day-to-day life ('he has untrustworthy eyes' etc) - yet... HOW DO YOU OBJECTIVELY DEFINE these observable characteristics of human eyes? All we have to go on is colour, shape, clarity... even 'sparkle' is a subjective quality.

Any ideas?

Michal

2. Athlynne

Athlynne Senior Registered

Michael,

I don't know if we can objectively define the observable characteristics of human eyes...I think too much of it is based in our intuition, which isn't rational or objective.

Anyone have a better answer to this question?

3. michaldembinski

Athlynne - the history of human literature is full of descriptions of human eyes; 'piercing', 'kindly', 'shifty', 'wolf-like', 'gentle', etc etc. We can identify immediatly with such descriptions. If there are no generally-accepted objective ideas as to what defines these descriptions, how can we categorise them? They are based on our everyday experiences - meeting strangers and assessing their characteristics by looking at their eyes...

This is a fascinating thread and merits further discussion!

Michal

4. Tinkerman

Tinkerman Administrator Staff Member Super Moderator

I too find this an interesting thread. The eyes are a definite window for me and I have made a conscious study of it. I can tell more about a person in the first five minutes of talking to them via their eyes than their words. As a street cop up in the city I always looked to the eys to tell me what was going on. Eyes were pleading, lying, sincere, deciteful etc...and for some reason I've always had the ability to "know" what they (the eyes) were really saying. My kids, even now as adults, always comment on how I just knew when there was something up. It was funny because my kids knew when I engaged them in a deep stare...they knew I was fishing...and I always got what I was looking for.

I believe that we do more than imprint imagery in our heads, thats the corporal function as human beings. As spiritual beings, we are capable of conveying a great deal about our soulful side. To those who understand this there is a depth to their relationships. I know instantly when there is a "connection" greater than the moment or circumstance. I have seen the depth of my soulmate....beyond here and now...almost an unspoken confirmation and knowledge.

I might throw in that one time while driving down the highway in my old pick up truck. (It was a horribly hot windy day and I had no sun glasses.) I was squinting to ease the pain in my eyes, when I looked in the rear view mirror I had this overwhelming knowledge of seeing myself as Michael. I wasn't seeing me (the here and now) at all it was myself 80 years ago. It was a wonderful feeling. I often look into that mirror to catch a glimpse of him...me...and its always the eyes that paint it.

5. Artzab

Artzab AS2

I think eyes can remain the same over many lifetimes, maybe not always eye color because genetics can determine that, but maybe the expression of the eyes can be similar over many lifetimes.

6. michaldembinski

Yes! This is right! But why? What's the give away factor? The muscles of the face surrounding the eyes, that frame the eyes, simple expression of face - of something deeper? If so - what?

This is indeed a key question Artzab! We all sense it - but how do we define it? An imponderable mystery around a phenomenon that many of us observe on a daily basis.

Can anyone help to define what it is about the eyes?

Michal

7. bluestreak

bluestreak New Member

I can only provide an opinion that there are many mysterious and deep things about the eyes. My view is that we somehow have a psychic or intuitive connection through our eyes. The eyes are both a window and a projection of our thoughts and feelings.

Most of us have experienced the feeling that someone is watching you from behind you and you turn around and there they are looking at you. We also somehow can establish a connection via the eyes between two people separated by a large distance in a crowded space. How can this be? I definitely don't believe this is from a visual analysis, unless it is from some subconscious subtle and lightning quick body language (and I actually doubt that this is required to establish contact).

I have a very wierd memory from many years ago where my mother, father and youngest sister were sitting around the family table discussing names. My mother said that she liked her name, which is Jean. She then leaned over the table and looked very intently into my eyes and started calling me by the name "Gene, Gene", and later, "Eugene Moncla, Are you in there?"

My memories may or may not be "past life related", however on this occasion, it seems possible that my mother somehow could remember who I was (or may have been) in my past life - this person being a USAF pilot who disappeared with his crewmate and jet fighter interceptor over Lake Superior in November, 1953. I recall that my reaction was one of great confusion.

There certainly is an element of magic and mystery in the communication we experience through our eyes.

8. ChrisR

ChrisR Administrator Staff Member Super Moderator

I know exactly what I looked like in my last life and it is nothing like how I look now, it's frustrating that I can't get the image I have of myself out of my head and on to paper.

Also, unrelated, I was looking through some old family photographs with my father a few years ago when I picked out a very old photo, not even black and white but brown and yellow, it was a group photo of my grandmother and her brother with their partners. I was shocked to see my grandmothers' brother could have been my identical twin, he didn't just look like me, he looked exactly like me :eek:

9. Ailish

Ailish Administrator Emerita

No -- I don't think so. I feel I've looked very different each time. In my most recent life I was blonde - then the two lives prior to that I was dark-haired. I seem to have a preference for blonde hair and I've had blue eyes many times -- in different shades. The shape of my face changes, the cheekbones, the lips, the forehead -- always vastly different.

I think the only thing that may be similar -- is I tend to have really big round eyes in most of my lives.

As far as personality -- I have some similarities, but I feel my personality is much different this time. I think I've been "impatient" in all of my lifetimes -- and I'm finally getting it in this one. : angel

I also think -- since in most of my pl's I died as a very young girl -- I tend to have a childlike wonder and appreciation for life -- and I love the people closest to me with a child's exuberance.

Anyone else?

10. tiltjlp

tiltjlp A Recycled Soul

With me it's my early and unlearned writing and editing skills, knowledge of punctuation and grammar, and poetic ability. The first time I held a pencil and a toddler, I held it correctly, for example. I also have a deep fondness for tea, and a distinct dislike for authority. Most or all of these and many others may well come from lives as a scribe, and several lives in the UK ranging from the 14th-early 18th centuries.

John

11. Klarry

Klarry Senior Registered

I've noticed over the last year or so that I have an odd little trait that I feel sure is brought from a past life. It sounds silly but I often notice that when I'm in a car, I will have positioned my left hand in an unusual position on my lap. It's always the left hand and it's always the exact same position. I never consciously do it, I simply look down and there it is - my weird little hand!!

I pointed it out to a friend once who laughed and said that it looked like I was holding invisible reins. I have recently looked into how reins were held when driving carriages and I was stunned to discover that the hand position is almost identical and you would always use the left hand because the right hand was reserved for the whip. May be nothing but it's just one of those quirky little traits that makes me smile when I notice it.

12. Marc Ross

Marc Ross Senior Registered

Acclaimation to high-altitude regions.

Hello,

Bumping-up discussion "Traits that Carry-Over" -- regarding how people acclaimate to living at high-altitudes in their present lives.

Might difficulties in acclaimating to high-altitudes in a person's present life partially be based on a person's past-lives lived at regions much closer to sea-level?

This inquiry might tie-in to health and medical factors carrying-over between past and present lives!

Thank-you

13. Truthseeker

Truthseeker Former Moderator

This is a good thread and one I'd like to throw my 2 cents into. :D

A couple weeks ago my grandpa died. We were at the wake and they had many pictures up of him throughout his life. There was one in particular that grabbed everyone's attention. It was a portrait of him when he was a young man. EVERYONE that saw that picture said he looked exactly like me. It was uncanny. This is not coming from me. I had so many people approach me and tell me this that it was starting to get annoying and embarrassing. Anyway, the point being that the strong resemblance had nothing to do with a past life connection. It was entirely genetic.

I know there are many people out there, even credible researchers who strongly believe that there are physical traits that follow the soul matching them in appearance with their past life selves. I will admit there is photographic evidence out there that even I have to admit that the resemblence is striking. However, I have a hard time accepting that the basic structure of someone's physical appearance is anything more than genetic in nature.

I do have a theory as to why these strong resemblances occur from one lifetime to the next. The answer is - style. We are all creatures of habit and we all have our own unique styles. We tend to keep eating the same foods, listening to the same music, watching the same movies, and of course wearing the same clothes. I don't know about you guys, but when I go shopping for new clothes I know what I like, know what I'm used to, and I know what I'll likely take home with me. My wardrobe is pretty consistent. I have my signature style. (or lack there of : angel )

Why wouldn't it be that way selecting bodies for our incarnations? Why wouldn't we stick to some kind of familiarity? I recognize personalities are different. Some people I know you could set a clock to their habits, others are trying new things everytime I turn around. That might explain why some have consistently similar appearances from life to life while others drastically change.

Of course this is merely my opinion. I could be way off, but it makes sense to me. ;)

For me it seems that for body build an average to slender build has been consistent for me. Also I tend to go with darker hair colors. One example of a little variance from this would be in my life as the French girl my hair was closer to blonde. In my two American lives prior to this there was a bit of a difference between the two. In South Carolina I was a red-headed woman and very well-endowed. In my most recent life I was a short and petite girl with dark hair and brown eyes, and was very much not well-endowed. :rolleyes:

In this life I'm above average height, an average build, brown hair, and have a hazel colored eyes. To be honest, I don't like being as tall as I am. Though I'm not abnormally tall, I feel like I've never been this tall before, and I do at times feel some discomfort with it.

14. Caroline

Caroline New Member

Meyer's-Briggs Personality Type Indicator

Do you all know of it? I have wondered if our personality "type" carries over from lifetime to lifetime, and also whether one "type" is a more spiritually advanced "type" than another-- which would mean that over the course of lifetimes our personality type would begin to change.

I would venture to suggest that "N" (iNtuitive) types would be more likely than "S" (Sensor) types to give credence to the MB Personality Type Indicator, and also that the vast majority of people who contribute to this forum (are open to reincarnation) are "N" (iNtuitive) types.

15. Ignotus

Ignotus Senior Registered

I'm not entirely sure. I've seen pictures of people with PL to look similar but not so similar. Something in their eyes, expression, smile.. There's just something there that shows them all.

But I do agree with Truthseeker that style should be similar. After all, you were you. As quoted by George S. Patton in his poem, 'Through a Glass, Darkly' (I did not know he can write poetry.. That guy's a genius, military mastermind and poetic!): 'So as through a glass, and darkly, The age long strife I see, Where I fought in many guises, Many names, but always me.'

For me, err.. My eyes? Many folks say its either a madman's eyes or a pure genius.. I'm picking madman, though. It is the classic Asian eyes shape. But the eye colour; its dark brown but in the sunlight, looks almost dark blood red... Scared a couple folks, they thought I was a vampire.. (Long story) and its, how you say, has a Prussian blue highlight around it. Faint but noticeable. I just noticed that when I scared myself at 3AM in the morning when I entered the washroom.

16. BlackberrySpice

BlackberrySpice New Member

This may have been said before but...

I think it makes sense that a lot of people would have similar eyes and smiles in their different lives. After all, "the eyes are the windows to the soul" so there should be something about them. (I'm often told that there's something about my eyes).

I think smiles should be similar because they are meant to be linked to personality. I know personality is shaped a little by environment and experience but I believe that essentially personalities are the same throughout lives, but change a little from one life to the next.

For myself, I'm sure that a lot of my behaviour comes from my last life as a Georgian era gentleman (the good behaviour that is).

17. Red Night

Red Night Senior Registered

With all this talk of looking like our past lives I think we should note that this isn't really always good validation. There was a person I thought I was in a past life (I was wrong) and we did share a physical resemblance. It even got to the point where it was pointed out about four years in a row at school. That can be a bit misleading! Though some people didn't see it, there definitely were a few who apparently did!

18. Kapitan

Kapitan Probationary

I have to agree with this. It should also be taken into account that our bodies can change over time - so there is the likelihood of any similarities being lost at some point. The body I came into looks nothing like it did even back in 2004. (It looks far healthier now thankfully!)

Therefore, I prefer to make other connections with things - memories mainly and secondly the odd 'far-fetched' coincidence.

19. Ignotus

Ignotus Senior Registered

I agree with that too. You can mistake yourself as someone else... So, you can't just look at the person based on looks, it also must follow your memories and others.

20. Red Night

Red Night Senior Registered

I also had quite a few things that pointed to me being that person, minus looks. Personality wise, it was a bit strange at times. There are times when I still believe I was that person, yet I don't think it's the truth. Ah, what am I going to do?! haha

Basically though, looking alike just seems almost novel and I don't think it should be taken too seriously. Not to say that we shouldn't give it any credit at all though.