Vietnam Soldier Past Life

Discussion in 'Past Life Memories' started by Iwaspfcjohn, Jan 21, 2017.

1. SeekerOfKnowledge

SeekerOfKnowledge Learner

The uniforms I saw during the flashes, I already had thought they were too modern. I am still not sure about this particular possible PL being imagination, because... shouldn't Nam bother me a lot more than stuff from the Middle Ages? Anyway, today I found the image below of an uniform from the mid 1960's. I don't even know what made me google this, I read this thread about the Air Force museum, then suddenly thought of our trip to such a museum and that I somehow liked a special helicopter. My husband said this type was used in Vietnam.
    I am getting only minor stuff and slowly, and I'll never know from what life. I am thankful, though.
    Checked the Wall of Faces (thank you, landsend). Socks is not there, but then, he might have survived. I feel that I left him behind. Also don't find myself, but as I do not remember how I died... I still have the feeling that I deserted. That after I had killed civilians, I just couldn't go on. In that case, I won't be on the Wall of Faces.
    [​IMG]

2. CanSol

CanSol Senior Registered

Those were late war, more 1970's
    Regular military wore complete green or tiger stripe in the same style in the '60's

And everyone has different PLs at the forefront, for Landsend it's Nam, for me mainly WWI and II with Nam knocking on the door louder more resently, my Roman life is basically blank, my Lakota life is just there not getting anything anymore (think because nobody cares about the pipeline at Standing Rock mediawise anymore)
    So I'm not surprised that Nam isn't big on your radar (yet)

SeekerOfKnowledge likes this.
  3. landsend

landsend Senior Registered

I always think Nam is a pretty hard pill to swallow, much easy to deny than to take it head on. That's true as much as it was in the 60's as it is today. It's recent, and anything recent will have bigger imprints, too, at least I've found that to be the case. It may be a case of not needing to see it now, or ever. I have knowledge of other past lives, and at the moment one is enough to deal with, thank you very much. The others do poke their heads up here and there, but file them away for 'later'. No pressing needs for them.

I can tell you what I've discovered about the Camo patterns. Back in the early days, if you wanted Camo fatigues, you had to get them made tailor made in country. They were not issued by the military. Later on they became standard ware.

As well as tiger stripe, there were others, such as ERDL pattern. That, my friend, is what you have posted here. It was issued in 1967, but more common onwards from 1968 used by the Marine Corps and the Army adapted it more widely afterwards. A third version was designed in 1970's for the Delta (Mekong Delta) region. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ERDL_pattern)

ERDL_camouflage.jpg

Compare it to the more commonly known Tiger Stripes:

tigerstripe.jpg

You can see that the ERDL follows a more 'leaf' pattern, and the tiger stripe obviously follows its namesake.

Finally, some rebels and the early SF types bought in their own camo and continued to wear it even after the tiger stripes et al. you know, just to show they'd been around the block and back a few times... These are known as 'Beo gam' or Duck Hunters. Usually these were made in America and bought to Vietnam, at least from what I've seen circulating on the net. The patterns have variations too due to that fact.

earlysfduckhunter.jpeg

SeekerOfKnowledge and Kenz1010 like this.
  4. SeekerOfKnowledge

Thanks, CalSol and landsend.
    I just was surprised that the ERDL-pattern existed before 1970. As I am born in early 1971 and don't know what to think of parallel lives, the pattern had kept me wondering. It is something I really hated as kid, but felt drawn to later, so... who knows. If it hadn't been first person perspective, I would have dismissed the flashes as cryptomnesia, caused by movies.
    One never knows what will surface. I don't understand it either why I can't recall PLs in a more "linear" way. How long ago sometimes seems not to matter in my case.

5. CanSol

CanSol Senior Registered

Wiki is not a reliable source, anyone can add and edit something, I've seen so much false info on there that I don't trust a word from it unless I already had it confirmed from a more reliable source
    The part where Marines were issued the ERDL in '67 is pretty much certain false, unless the USMC history books themselves are incorrect, which I doubt
    Everyone in the USMC was issued standard ODs untill atleast 1969, the only exeption MIGHT be Force Recon but again most photos show OD
    The only units that are known to wear the ERDLs in '67 and onwards were small groups of 101st and 173rd Airborne and this was a VERY small group as most kept to the ODs till atleast '69, this has been verified by countless photos
    The RVN were issued them for certain around '67

My unit was, and still is, considered to be SF but we've worn nothing else than ODs (atleast my group) because we'd stick out when assigned to units

6. SeekerOfKnowledge

It was not wiki, but a page about military items where they show and explain stuff and where people also can trade uniforms, weapons, badges and such.
    If this is false memory, I am just wondering why I constructed this and not something more desirable?

7. CanSol

CanSol Senior Registered

Seeing a specific uniform doesn't provide date and unit (unless you can clearly remember if there was a patch on your shoulder and what kind) it only points to an era

I never said your memories are false or incorrect, I said wiki often is
    And if you read my comment then you saw that they were used by certain units

8. SeekerOfKnowledge

Of course you never said this, I am having this tendency to not fully trust myself and to set what ever "standard" much higher for myself than for others...

9. landsend

I first saw ERDL being used on uniforms I found on eBay from late 1960s, they were 101st. Found one that states 1969 as USMC. I think in that instance there’s truth to it.

Seeker, just because they were technically around late 1960s doesn’t mean they were widely used as CanSol said.

But that could possibly point to where you were and what you were doing in Nam.

10. CanSol

CanSol Senior Registered

Exactly, you could've worn the uniform and in that sense it could be a HUGE help as it narrows down the units you could've been in substantialy

landsend and SeekerOfKnowledge like this.
  11. landsend

The reason I was looking around is because I have a photo of my past self wearing tiger stripe fatigues and a patrol cap. The cap is a different pattern. It’s a beo gam (Duck Hunter) pattern based on dates and time he was in Nam.

326425E7-AD9B-4463-8D47-954763CC0014.jpeg

12. landsend

I’m an advocate for Wiki if you check the sources against others. Often it gives a good general overview.

GeoMindAsh and SeekerOfKnowledge like this.
  13. landsend

I’ll give you my intuitive view. The ERDL pattern looks kinda foreign to me and modern. I don’t recall seeing it whilst there in my past life. He served his first tour 1965-1966 then came again in 1968 to fly choppers. Probably would never seen it, or very rarely. I’m guessing in late 60s it was kept to Recon units.

14. landsend

You mentioned you saw a special helicopter. Can you post it here?

15. SeekerOfKnowledge

Saw it in a museum, not in a vision. A "Huey" aka Bell UHD1 or so. Just was what I liked best, besides the "space" stuff. My husband said that this type of helicopter, while produced in Germany, was used in Vietnam.
    So far, I only had two short flashes plus some spontaneous info. Not sure how reliable that is. I don't even know my full name.
    Also, older lives come to the surface more often.
    Now, in the 20th century, close to my birth in this life, I have the advantage that more information will be available. There are photographs. The information also will be more reliable and complete than historical records from the Middle Ages or even Ancient times.
    Looks like I always get just enough to wonder... but never enough to be able to "prove" anything true or false for sure.

16. CanSol

CanSol Senior Registered

The Huey was nothing special, they were special to most of us Grunts but material wise they're common, Germany and Canada still uses them

My memories of Nam are still few but had enough breadcrumbs to finally ID myself
    It only took me close to 30 years to ID my WWI, II and Nam selves

17. landsend

I’d say it was special, it revolutionised warfare. Think how many lives it saved. The War memorial would be a whole lot bigger were it not for the Huey.

The context for the special feeling would be another PL clue IMO.

I went to an air museum too to check out the Cobra they had on display. They also had a Huey and I instantly recognised her. Although it had been in Argentina (that specific craft) I spent a few quiet moments in reverence next to her, especially as it was painted white — it was a Medevac bird. Lots of emotions. Pride, nostalgia, sadness, but mostly pride.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  18. landsend

Finally, you mentioned having been involved in an incident with civilians. If you want to chat about that here or PM let me know.

19. SeekerOfKnowledge

I wonder how it must feel to be able to ID yourself without doubt.
    It is not that I want to prove anything to anybody, this is something I am slowly leaving behind (the wish to prove something to others). Would be nice, though, to have some confirmation for myself that I'm not just nuts.
    I hope that I will be able to confirm that I was in Nam indeed, at the same time I hope that I will be able to prove it wrong. If that makes any sense.
    Incident with civilians? How common was that?

landsend likes this.
  20. landsend

I can tell you that before I opened the can of worms that were my PL memories of Nam that, apart from avoiding Vietnam like the plague, my feelings about that life were vague. It was a distant feeling, uncomfortable, like a wound festering that you know you’re gonna have to deal with at some point but for the time being you want to ignore. However you know if you don’t look at it soon the wound might fester to the point you gotta chop off a limb. I didn’t fancy chopping off a limb figuratively speaking (the limb in this case being my marriage). The wound is scary as hell, painful as hell, but I’d say I’m finally working toward being a more whole person by tending that wound.

KenJ and SeekerOfKnowledge like this.