• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Waking up from a catatonic state.

Eowyn

Wrought out of steel
I watched this documentary in a Spanish TV show called “Cuarto Milenio” and I wanted to share the story with you, as I think it’s very interesting and it reminded me of something I had read in this forum about the degree in which the spirit or soul is present in the body, and the simile with the glove and the water which Usetawuz used to explain it.

I’ll try to make it short. It happened in a Spanish hospital. In a room there was this old woman who had had an embolism, and his son, a middle-age man, was sitting on a chair. This son had been in a catatonic state about 20 years, after suffering a cranial trauma in a car accident. That means he had never spoken a word for years, doctors hadn’t been able to communicate with him, and he had barely moved from his chair, and because of this he had a severe muscle atrophy. He also had problems in his back. The rest of the patients in that floor couldn’t move because it was an area reserved for cases of paralysis.

Then there was an explosion, a fire started, all the medical workers ran away, the room was soon filled with smoke, the woman (who had half of her body paralyzed) started to pray, and suddenly she realized that her son had got up and was close to her, saying “Smoke! Smoke! I’ll go and stop this fire!”. He could open a window which, according to the firemen who arrived later, was impossible to open for a man alone, even less a weakened man as he was, and he could as well move some of the beds and stop the fire that had started in another room.

His brother at home, reported that he had received a phone call and he had heard this man’s voice telling him what had happened.

When the firemen came, everything was over and I think no one got injured, but they just couldn’t understand how this man, who had gone back to his catatonic state, could do all that on his own.

This case makes me wonder so many things, such as:

- If the brain is malfunctioning here (there is a lot of causes for a catatonic state), what is it that makes it return for a while to a “normal state” and then “switch off” again? Is it an external stimulus? If we provoke that same stimulus in another patient (even one in a comma) will we be able to “bring back” that person to life?

- Is the “soul” trapped in this body or is it conscious all the while and is “roaming” in other realms until it decides to put an end to the situation? (Maybe something similar has been treated somewhere in this forum, but I still haven’t had the time to check it all).

- Is it something to do with the energy the soul puts in the body as it’s been said somewhere, and if it’s needed (to save your mother’s life for instance) this energy can be increased at will?

- Was there some kind of telepathy between mother and son? And the voice his brother heard on the phone, was it really a “physical” voice?

What do you think?

That is an amazing story Eowyn. I think that the explaination is difficult to surmise here, how he was able to come back in that moment in time of crises to save his mother. It is as though his brain was able to switch to some "reserve" power at the time and re-engage, and that may have had everything to do with the crises at hand, the stimulus of the emergency was such that the brain responded with immediate action. But it still remains as a mystery as to how a brain, damaged in an accident, could "come back" to perform such feats of triumph. The brain is an amazing, complex part of our functioning, and no one really understands its operant capacity or potential. And apart from that, the soul, and how that is related to brain function is not known. So your question for me brings forth many other questions, but this does underline the fact that we are a mystery, how we work is a mystery, which has yet to be fully understood by science.

Yes, Ghost of Gumby, I would add we are a "wonderful" mystery, and it saddens me when I hear scientists trying to reduce everything to something "material". But then I guess it has to be that way, we can't go farther until we don't understand completely how matter works, and there's still a long way to go with the brain.

And yes, I also can see God in every little thing that surrounds us, but not only human beings, we sometimes forget all Nature is his creation (I guess this is only a belief).

So interesting and such a mystery. I could almost think that maybe the smoke affected his dopamine levels and this triggered something in such a way that he came out of the catatonia, but then how did he move the window with his muscles apparently atrophied. Thanks for sharing this story. It gives us a lot to think about.

Back