• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Was I a woman in my past life?

george

hi everyone im a heterosexual man but sometimes i feel like a woman and also i act like a woman also sometimes i wish to be a woman so im starting to think that i was a woman several times before could someone help me how to discover if i was a woman in my past life?

Hi George.

Welcome to forum.

Don't worry, it is not uncommon to remember being the opposite sex in previous lives (in fact it is the norm) and it has nothing to do with your present life sexuality.

I remember being both male and female in various different incarnations but in this one I am a heterosexual female and a mother. Nonetheless since childhood I have remembered various different lives and many of them as men. It didn't seem odd to me then, it seemed perfectly normal, in fact I thought everyone had the same experience until I got a little older.

I must admit though, I am a bit of a tomboy, ride a motorbike, wear my hair short and am very forthright, sporty and unafraid of things and so on. In my most recent life I was much more feminine and got pushed around a lot, so that may have something to do with it as well. It's a bit of everything.

You may also enjoy reading this thread:

If you want to find out more about your past lives, this is a great place to start:

How can I learn about my past lives

Hi George,

Welcome to the forum. I agree with tanguerra, I think we all have male and female qualities in us in varying degrees, however a few seem to have a disproportionate amount of characteristics of the opposite sex in them i.e girls are called 'tomboys', or a boy may be called a 'sissy' (the latter still being generally unacceptable in today's society, which in my opinion is 'sexist' and an insult to the female gender)

I think that with experience, the soul gains a preference towards either one sex or the other. I think you have probably lived a succession of female lives, and now you've come back this time as a male, maybe your soul is finding it a little difficult to adjust to being the opposite gender. This is perfectly normal in my opinion, and depending on how you look at it, I think it can be a good thing in many ways.

I would recommend a past life regression if you want to find out more. You can either seek out a regression therapist in your area, or you can try a self regression using one of the many audio cd's that are availible, it's perfectly safe and it could also set you off on a fascinating journey.

Chris - :)

Hiya George :)

I just wanted add that it's completely normal to feel like one of the opposite sex. In my last incarnation I was a man and that has left many marks on my behaviour in this life - silly things like rubbing "my" beard. A few nights ago I had a very vivid dream, presumably pl related, where I was definitely male. It was a very strange sensation, which at once was very natural to me and very strange.

If you're curious to learn more about your past lives this thread is great:

How can I learn about my past lives?

I look forward to updates ;)

Hi George and welcome to the forum. I only remember female lives myself. But as others have said it is not uncommon for people to remember lives as both genders.

I also have a feeling I was a woman in a past life. I grew my hair long to my waist and have no shame about it. I also always wanted to have my ears pierced, and do not see why men are not allowed to wear skirts and dresses.

I am also shy even in adulthood and have a hard time saying no to people.

It may be possible I have an androgynous soul and can go either way.

I'd like to make a question to members with memories of multiple lives. Does your current behavior, sexual orientation etc. correspond with your previous incarnation(s) gender?

Stevenson's research and reading this thread makes me believe that at least some behavior patterns of past lives remain in sex-change cases. I mean both obvious behavior and also minor things like "rubbing the beard", as Sunniva mentioned.

I have always been as masculine as can be. When I was little I played with cars and guns and I have been interested in girls as long as I can remember. I train combat sports, lift weights and I have beard etc.

I have some hunches about my past lives and I suspect that I haven't been a woman. I'm trying to use process of elimination in search of my past lives. If I can have some confirmation that I have not been woman, it makes my searching project easier.

Hi Kohr-Ah

Playing with toy cars and guns, or having a beard and weightlifting, these are all things that define a stereotypical male, just like dolls and makeup define a stereotypical female. If you can imagine these things at opposite ends of a scale, we each have our own place somewhere on that scale. I used to have as much fun playing with my sister's toys as I did playing with my Action Man - ;) :D

I think it would be unusual if all of your previous lives were male only. I remember a few female lives and although I would say that my past life experiences help me to understand better than the average male what it means to be female, and I do still have many female personality traits in my present life. However, in my present life, physically I am all male....attracted to women, I do the typical 'boy' stuff, watching football, playing with my gadgets, I slouch in the chair with my legs wide open - ;) .....to look at me, you would never suspect that I've spent several lives as a female - :D

I would say that physically and sexually, I'm 100% male and heterosexual, mentally.... I feel about 80% female, but I also think it's possible to be a very 'girly' girl in one life, and then be a very masculine man in the next, which, if you have no pastlife memories, could lead you to question whether you have ever been the opposite sex in a previous life, but in my opinion........ I think we all have - ;)

Hi Kohr-Ah,

I have to agree with Chris. Just because you don't remember any female lives (at this time) does not mean you have never had any. Most people have had hundreds of lives and as Chris says, the majority have spent some time as both gender. There is a rare minority who have tended to stick only to one gender. This is not to say that you don't belong to that rare minority, of course, just that it would be highly unusual. It would not be so unusual if you had recently had several lives as a male in a row, however. They seem to come in bunches rather than alternating back and forth each life. Perhaps you just haven't been a female for some time?

I have some hunches about my past lives and I suspect that I haven't been a woman. I'm trying to use process of elimination in search of my past lives. If I can have some confirmation that I have not been woman, it makes my searching project easier.
Would you like to explain this comment? What hunches do you have? Why would it make your 'project easier' if you had never been a woman? What sort of confirmation are you looking for?

I say again, having been the opposite gender in a previous life has little (if anything) to do with current life sexual orientation in my opinion. Certainly, remembering a life spent in a body of a different gender does not make you 'gay' in any way, but perhaps it leaves an imprint?

I think I have had a roughly even split between male and female lives, possibly with a slight leaning (60/40) toward male. Certainly I feel (and look) quite androgynous with my tall, athletic build and short hair, but I love wearing high heels, nail polish, make up and so on. As a child I loved to play with my doll's house and ride my rocking horse (with the fantasies that went with it of going off to have very masculine adventures) about equally. I enjoyed 'rough games' that boys liked, like climbing trees and jumping off the garage roof as much as having tea parties with dolls in the 'cubby house' (play house) my father built for me.

As Wednesday says sexual attraction/orientation appears to be genetic, but we still don't really understand very well how the 'spirit' interacts with genes in making up an individual, or how sexuality is determined for that matter. I suspect a complex interplay of nature, nurture and 'other' is involved - a bit like everything else.

I have also sometimes wondered about transexuals and whether there has not been some sort of a 'mix-up' where they were 'supposed' (or would have preferred) to have a body of a different gender to the one they ended up with in this life. Certainly, people describe the feeling of being in the 'wrong' body. I have every sympathy for a person who finds themselves in such a predicament, but those cases are also fairly rare, after all.

tanguerra said:
I have also sometimes wondered about transexuals and whether there has not been some sort of a 'mix-up' where they were 'supposed' (or would have preferred) to have a body of a different gender to the one they ended up with in this life. Certainly, people describe the feeling of being in the 'wrong' body.
I am sure I heard/ read from Carol Bowman that transexual behaviour can be past life related. She mentioned some help given to children with interest in being the opposite sex, remembering a life and the resulting therapy around it lead to making peace with the sex they had been born into..

soulfreindly..

Yes. I imagine it might be very helpful indeed.

It would come as a relief I would think, to understand that you have more than one life and that a single life spent in the 'wrong' body is not a 'disaster'.

Much unhappiness could be prevented, in my opinion, if people understood they have more than one shot at life. It would certainly take a lot of pressure off, wouldn't it?

Thanks for the answers.

tanguerra said:
Would you like to explain this comment? What hunches do you have? Why would it make your 'project easier' if you had never been a woman? What sort of confirmation are you looking for?
I should have written more clearly. I meant merely last few past lives or most of them. Not necessarily all of them. If I have been woman in some distant past, it doesn't affect my "research process".

Bowman's research shows that same family reincarnation is quite common. All Stevenson's Finnish cases that I have read were also same family cases (not necessarily same family, but extended family). Also Stevenson's research shows that in some cultures same family reincarnation is common and in some cultures it is rare. Apparently in Finland this is common.

Some of my relatives have died in war against Soviet Union (1939-1940 and 1941-1945) and in accidents after the war and before my birth (1980). I would say that I have been fascinated by those wars more than an ordinary man of my age. I'd also say that this subject is more emotional to me. Some dreams and for a lack of better word, hunches also led me to believe that I may have lived in that time frame and that I may have been some relative.

My lead suspect is my fathers father who died in a traffic accident when he got hit to the back of his head. Of all the people I know I have the biggest head. Also I have a tender area in the back of my head. Because of that I had to change my hairstyle. There are other possible suspects as well, some of them women. I just wanted to narrow down the list.

Also I wanted to know if we can trust our feelings in these matters (not just about gender, but in all past life - related things). ChrisR wrote: "mentally.... I feel about 80% female". I feel 100% male and if I have been woman in my last incarnation, all my other strong feelings about past lives are probably also completely wrong.

Yes, Kohr-Ah, I see that would all seem to make sense.

I feel 100% male and if I have been woman in my last incarnation,all my other strong feelings about past lives are probably also completely wrong.
Trust your feelings would definitely be my advice. They are usually right.

Have you tried doing any kind of regression work - tapes, meditation, self-hynosis, etc? Have you had any dreams that you think might be past life related? You describe 'hunches' - if you would like to share your story you can start a whole thread for it. I am sure people will be interested.

This might be just a conincidence (btw I'm sorry if I've shared this already before), but at least for now I remember mostly female past lives with a couple of male lifetimes thrown in between, and in several of those I think I've been either gay or bi-sexual.

It could be just a coincidence and I don't think there are any set rules about this, but maybe if I've spent the majority of my lifetimes in a heterosexual female body, it has been easier to feel attracted to men also when I've been in a male body. I don't remember having been a particularly feminine man, though, which would in this case seem also logical. But I think it depends very much about culture and society of the time and place, how many feminine traits a gay/bi man would have or at least show on the outside.

Karoliina

tanguerra said:
Have you tried doing any kind of regression work - tapes, meditation, self-hynosis, etc? Have you had any dreams that you think might be past life related? You describe 'hunches' - if you would like to share your story you can start a whole thread for it. I am sure people will be interested.
No. I haven't done any kind of regression work. I have just "meditated" before going to sleep. Not a real meditation, just a lazy man's version of it. Thinking these things and trying to remember my dreams.

I would rather search these things myself before posting here. If I can remember something significant, then I can write about it. Right now these things are too vague.

I would also like to clear that thing I wrote about my head. I meant the shape of my skull, headaches etc. in that area and the fact that I can't sleep on my back because the back of my head starts to hurt. I didn't mean any minor skin irritation or something like that.

Yes, it is not unusual for a past life physical trauma - like the being hit in the back of the head in a car accident as you described - to leave a mark in the present life body. I would say this would narrow things down in your 'search' quite a bit.

Have a look at these threads on the subject of past life traces being left in the present life body for your interest:

Birthmarks

Imprints

Deep memory process

This thread has been quiet for a while but I think it's an interesting topic. I would like to share my own thoughts. I am a heterosexual male and a pretty normal guy on the surface. Discovering past lives has been a liberating experience for me because it explains so many of the feelings that have confused me for so long. Like I said, for the most part, I'm a pretty regular guy. However I do think that I have some traits that lean towards the feminine. I've never admitted this before but at times I wish I was female. I always wondered how this could be when I'm not gay.

This has bothered me for years. Then I found out that in my most recent life I was a girl. In fact I have lived as a female several times. This isn't my first time being male but I feel like in this life, in many ways, I'm learning how to be male. It's a bizzare feeling. I don't dislike who I am now but I definately feel like my soul has a preference for incarnating as a female. I have a fondness for who I was in my last life and, if I have a choice, I'd like to come back as someone like her again. Especially since that life was cut so short.

I would think that a soul who has experienced a number of lifetimes in which the biological gender has been somewhat equal, would exhibit an androgynous psychological makeup. I think that individual would feel equally at ease in the company of women as they would in men; although, they may prefer the company of one sex to that of the other.

Perhaps, the more enlightened person has freed themselves from seeing others as either male or female and has begun to see past the human facade, seeing the spirit which is neither male nor female.

Just a personal opinion.

All the past lives that I can "remember" (3) have been male, and I think my soul tends to resonate more with traits Western culture have deemed "male." Yet my soul always had traits that are better received in Western culture in females, like being highly emotional, nurturing, and loving beautiful things. I'm grateful that as a woman I can express this side of me without worrying that others will think less of me ... I think Western culture has only recently made progress in this regard, when it comes to men.

I read a book called "Self-Made Man" by Norah Vincent about a woman who lived as a man for a year and wrote about her experiences. She wrote that she felt like she was in an emotional straightjacket, and it was really hard for her ... in the end, she had a lot of sympathy for men and I do too. I think the next stage in the sexual revolution is to allow men more freedom to express this side of themselves. I think it would greatly transform our society in general into something much more civilized!: angel

I read a book called "Self-Made Man" by Norah Vincent about a woman who lived as a man for a year and wrote about her experiences. She wrote that she felt like she was in an emotional straightjacket, and it was really hard for her ... in the end, she had a lot of sympathy for men and I do too. I think the next stage in the sexual revolution is to allow men more freedom to express this side of themselves. I think it would greatly transform our society in general into something much more civilized!: angel
I agree, however, I would add, that such cultures do exist. For example I saw men crying in Denmark publicly, and they were not regarded less masculine or weaker. It's typical of the Northern European countries to have more feminine culture, it is signed by Geert Hofstede's Masculinity Index, which is the lowest there.

They are really more civilised, and I've never been as happy as in Denmark.

Skarphedinn

Meh, what the heck? I don't mind sharing some of my feelings.opinions.

For as long as I can remember, I have considered myself to be mostly nuetral. I just think I recline to being more masculine. Growing up I was always drawn to what society saw as being "male". I played with hot wheels, I had action figures, and I even made my own light saber when I was younger. I have always tended to have guy friends.

I know/feel that I am a woman. However, my instincts are just to go for what a male would wear. When it comes to clothes, I also shop for men's. My body craves for suits, waist coats and pocket watches, chains, HATS(!), trench coats, and gloves. Too bad I'm too poor to get too many of these things. xD

And when it comes to females...I always felt a little less comfortable with them. Don't get me wrong, I know a few people that broke this habit of mine; but, it tends to stay the same. I do also find myself looking and staring at beautiful women. No arousal, but I feel calmed by this. (I don't really mean today's models. Sometimes I do it towards them, too. However, I find that I mostly do this to average women. Heck, done it to my mother a few times. xD )

So far I have had only two "memories" come up. One I had when I was younger, and one I had today. Both times I felt masculine. (The first life I recall, from youth, I'm pretty sure I was.)

I am attracted to men, as well. But even though I am a female, and it would technically be heterosexual, I've feel somewhat gay from liking them. I don't know, it's hard for me to explain...

Welcome to the forum! The links given in the posts above are excellent references for everyone. I hope they give you some insight.

I believe we've all lived as men and women throughout history. Perhaps you were a man long ago, due to the interest in clothing such as waistcoats and pocket watches. I personally remember female lives and male lives. In this life, I am a married female with two children.

Back