• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Was I an Indian in My Past Life?

IndianWannaBe

Hi,

I've been thinking a lot about how I could have been an Indian in my past life. I will start out by saying that I am a white American girl obsessed with Indian Culture. When I saw the actor from Life of Pi at the Academy Awards, somehow that started me on this research quest about India. I wanted to know everything. That was a year and a half ago, and I'm now dating my third Indian boyfriend. I feel like I fit in with indians more than any other race. I love indian food, I started to learn how to cook it, I own a saree, I watch Bollywood and Tollywood movies, I listen to the music every day (while doing homework, while getting ready, when going places, etc.), I memorize the songs, I took a Hindi class last semester, I took an Eastern religions class last semester, I have Hindi, Telugu, and Punjabi dictionaries, and I catch on with learning the languages fast. Yes, I'm very obsessed with the culture.

Also, I'm not really religious, but I was very attracted to Hinduism. When I took my Eastern Religions class, I wrote a paper explaining Atman and Brahman. My teacher told me it was the best explanatory paper on this topic she had read in her 10 years of teaching, and that I even explained it better than Eckhart Tolle. This was after I received a C on my first paper on Daoism. I just live and breathe India, and it's very confusing as to why I have this obsession with it randomly. When I started learning about past lives, it started to make me wonder if I was an Indian in a past life. Then I thought about good and bad karma, and how in the first relationships ever in my life, I had the worst time ever with unfaithful guys. It made me wonder if I was an Indian in my past life, woman or man, and was unfaithful to lovers, and now I'm learning my lesson in this life.

Well, the whole long story was to talk about a song that triggered a weird feeling and some strange emotions in me (the reason why I found this site and joined it). I had an Indian bf (now ex) who went back to india last Christmas for a month, and a week after I came back, I found out he cheated on me with a girl named Priya.

Anyway, I listen to Indian songs all the time, and I love them, but they never trigger weird feelings. I then listened to this song "Oh Priya Priya", and when I heard it I felt strange, and maybe almost like a longing or like I missed something. I know it wasn't anger or anything about what happened with my ex bf, because that happened almost a year ago, and I am in a happy relationship now with someone else, so I'm 100% sure that's not it. It was just a weird feeling and made me have almost like chills and numbness, like a tingling feeling. Then I thought, could I have been an Indian man in my past life unfaithful to a woman named Priya, and in this life the karma followed me, and in turn I had a bf who cheated on me with a girl named Priya? Past life, or just a coincidence?

Hi IndianWannaBe

Welcome to the forum.

Sure, it certainly sounds like it doesn't it? This sort of thing is much more common than you think, but most people don't really know what's going on with them when they have various obsessions of this nature.

Then I thought, could I have been an Indian man in my past life unfaithful to a woman named Priya, and in this life the karma followed me, and in turn I had a bf who cheated on me with a girl named Priya? Past life, or just a coincidence?
I think karma is a bit more complicated than straight reward and punishment personally, but opinions differ. If you have all kinds of funny feelings and chills and your intuition is telling you something, then I'd listen! It's entirely possible that 'Priya' returned to teach you a lesson? Do you ever get the feeling that you've known any of these people before?

Hi, Tanguerra,

Thank you for that information. It was very insightful. I don't know if I feel like I've known this Priya before, but I don't know if this is anything; when I first was hanging around my boyfriend (now ex), I felt strange. I never noticed it until now, but now that I'm not with him, I noticed that whenever I was around him, I would feel a lot of anxiety. I thought for the longest time it was just me, but I don't have that specific anxiety anymore, so it wasn't just me internally. I can't explain the strange feeling; maybe it was almost like a perpetual "night-time feeling". What I mean by that is, I get nervous at night, and the night feels kind of sad and lonely. It's hard to describe. Anyway, if he was in my past life, maybe I didn't have such a great interaction with him, and maybe that's why I felt anxious around them before. One thing that was strange was that the night we met, he said to me: "I feel like i've known you for so long". I never thought of that until now.

I hit it off with my current bf right away. We had told each other around the beginning of us talking that we felt like we've known each other for so long. I feel like I have a deep connection with him, too, like we understand each other a lot.

Maybe I have known these people in past lives.

Also, I had a strange experience when I was visiting one of my Indian friends one time. We went to visit her grandma in the hospital, and when I walked in, I felt bothered. I don't know if some people just don't like hospitals or what. We saw her, and she was talking with my friend's aunt. She then went to show that her leg had been amputated, so it was only half of her leg left. As soon as she showed it, I had to leave the room because I was about to cry, and I did cry. It was really unexpected as I never met her grandma before and don't usually cry over stuff like if a stranger's leg got amputated, so I have no idea why I was so upset. It was really random. I don't know if that has anything to do with anything like past lives or it's just me, but I wanted to throw that out there, too.

And this is also random, but I have a birthmark on the top of my head; I've read that birthmarks can be injuries or how you died from your past life.

Welcome to the forum Indian! Your memories definitely sound PL related. Do you have Indian friends? It might be nice for you to meet some Indian friends and they can introduce you to Indian dances, and other aspects of the culture. Indian culture is beautiful. It might be fun for you to meet like minded people.

What I have learned is that people we get into relationships, we have karma to work out with them. Perhaps in this life you had to learn to leave someone who was unfaithful. In one of my prior relationships I dated a person who I've dated from lifetime to lifetime. I liked him so much, but in this life the only reason he came into my life was to challenge me, and the challenge was that I had to leave him, when he didn't treat me the way I deserved to be treated.

Or perhaps Priya was unfaithful to you, or she could have been married off to someone else after you had fallen in love, the possibilities could be endless. You probably still miss her, it sounds like.

I've also had a few past lives in East India, with a man I met this life when I was about 17. This life neither of us are East Indian, but we both behaved as though we had been married previously there for the time we were together. Just before I met him, I had visited a psychic who said "Prepare yourself, you are about to meet your soul mate." I figured it'd be a happy thing. I was wrong. I began having nightmares of a short Indian man in a yellow turban sneak up to me as I lay sleeping. In his hand was a curved knife, I would just start waking up in the dream and he would raise the knife and kill me. This became a reoccurring 'dream' as we began dating, but I never put two and two together that this might be a memory.

It was about 2 years after this, I began to have reoccurring dreams of this same man as a woman on a large steamliner ship, probably turn of the century. S/he was furious with me (we were rivals for another man's affection) and s/he would push me overboard. I would also have dreams of myself and him captures and sleeping with our feet chained to each other. In reality we would sleep back to back, with the soles of our feet touching. He seemed to dredge up a lot of memories, we seemed to have been together numerous times, always with him killing me off in some way, it was very upsetting. We were together for 6 years and I finally decided this vicious cycle had to end, and left him. It was a really big deal for me, but I knew it would just continue the next life if I didn't get away from him. I felt closing that cycle was a huge thing for me, karma wise. But I felt the East Indian tie was the most recent and the strongest, and quite possibly we were there for multiple lives.

I still feel most comfortable listening to the music, watching the movies, or decorating my house with Indian-esque decor. The only food I've really been successful with cooking is Indian, although it usually takes a few days to prep for a meal. But when he went away, a lot of the energy went with him, so I've been able to move on considerably, although I still miss incense and the different perfumes. I can't seem to use any hair dyes without some horrible reaction, so I just stuck with henna for a while. My husband didn't care for it, and he thought all of the Indian stuff was a bit silly, so I've switched to oiling it with amla oil.

Making naan bread still reminds me of a PL filled with desperately sad times. Contrary to this though, walking into a room where Indian spices are being used (my house or a restaurant) still gives me a homey feel. I remember watching some show about India a year or so ago, and they showed a town in the northwest desert. I was shocked, because I knew it. That was odd. I had a terrible ominous feeling that I was going to be banished in that desert, that was weird.

Anyway I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in with the Indian PL. And although I don't think I was that educated in my PLs there, now I can easily keep Indian mythology names and events clear in my mind, as opposed to Celtic. I've attempted to read those, and can't keep any of the deities straight. Oh well.

Welcome to the forum @Shelby812!

Nice to hear of these Indian past lives. I think I may have some vague links to an ancient Indian PL. I remember sitting on a rocky platform in the sunshine, looking down below me into a levelled area with large stone archways. Elephants were being guided through one of the arches in a long procession. I felt very happy and relaxed to be there, gazing at the scene below me. I felt like a male child, very carefree. The names Ahan and Tajah came into my head, I'm English and terrible at all languages except my own so was very surprised to learn that those names were genuine Hindi names. I also did a guided meditation to meet with one of my spirit guides and met a young, smiling Indian girl who gave her name as Akishita (also a Hindi name) so perhaps there's a link there too.

I agree about Indian Mythology and Religion, @Shelby812! I remember learning the story of Rama and Sita at school when I was very small and all the Gods and stories I've heard over the years stay with me in a very familiar way.

@Whippoorwill and @IndianWannaBe - you also might like Deepa Mehta's movies, she did some pretty intense ones and got herself banished from India. I watched Earth for film (he was the Asian film teacher, but just did Indian movies - very anti-bollywood ones). Earth was about the partition of India and Pakistan in the 1940's by the British. India, in the olden sense encompassed both countries, but the British divided the country and forced everyone to get up and move. So all of the Muslims got up and moved to now Pakistan, and all of the Hindus got up and moved to now India - sowing the seeds for the modern frustrations between the two countries. The way she captures light, dark, walking through alleys, etc, all amazing.

She also has a movie Fire, same thing. The mood she captures with sunlight is awesome. The subject matter was two sister-in-laws falling in love with each other because there was no one else around (just a heads up for that one). One of them was named Sita and she was also "baptized by fire" and cast aside. The third movie, Water was just depressing, I didn't like that one - about child widows and the widow house turned brothel. Lots of white in that one. If you have memories from long ago, though, might not get a feel for them, but she's still worth the watch.

I like the older films though, they also have a familiar flair. In that same class we saw one black and white from the 30's or 40's about wealthy Indian family's fall to ruin in the 1800's. The swinging chandelier/mirror behind the credits reminded me of I don't know what, but that same feeling. I can't remember that film title though. How annoying.

@Whippoorwill - those are some random names to be pulling out of your hat, for sure! Maybe the spirit guide is a past relative? A sister or a cousin or someone you used to know or be related to. I've always wanted to ride on an elephant. Hate riding on anything else, but have always wanted to travel via elephant for some unknown reason, ha!

And aren't the PLs with just one flash and then they're gone annoying? I had quite a detailed vision/memory when I first tried sake. It was absolutely bizarre. I was a Japanese man, laughing and sitting in an outdoor gazebo at night, in the pouring rain, holding a sake cup in my left hand, and surrounded by geishas who were talking to my friend. I could smell the rain, the sake, the women's perfume, and kept thinking about mushrooms for some reason. The vision lasted only a second then it was gone.

Every time I go for a while without Japanese food, then try it again, something tugs at my memory. But I think it was so long ago it's sort of ...irrelevant? It's amazing how different moods are in different lifetimes. That seemed to be a rare "feeling great" period for me apparently, I am always happy with traditional old Japanese stuff.

Hi,

I've been thinking a lot about how I could have been an Indian in my past life. I will start out by saying that I am a white American girl obsessed with Indian Culture. When I saw the actor from Life of Pi at the Academy Awards, somehow that started me on this research quest about India. I wanted to know everything. That was a year and a half ago, and I'm now dating my third Indian boyfriend. I feel like I fit in with indians more than any other race. I love indian food, I started to learn how to cook it, I own a saree, I watch Bollywood and Tollywood movies, I listen to the music every day (while doing homework, while getting ready, when going places, etc.), I memorize the songs, I took a Hindi class last semester, I took an Eastern religions class last semester, I have Hindi, Telugu, and Punjabi dictionaries, and I catch on with learning the languages fast. Yes, I'm very obsessed with the culture.

Also, I'm not really religious, but I was very attracted to Hinduism. When I took my Eastern Religions class, I wrote a paper explaining Atman and Brahman. My teacher told me it was the best explanatory paper on this topic she had read in her 10 years of teaching, and that I even explained it better than Eckhart Tolle. This was after I received a C on my first paper on Daoism. I just live and breathe India, and it's very confusing as to why I have this obsession with it randomly. When I started learning about past lives, it started to make me wonder if I was an Indian in a past life. Then I thought about good and bad karma, and how in the first relationships ever in my life, I had the worst time ever with unfaithful guys. It made me wonder if I was an Indian in my past life, woman or man, and was unfaithful to lovers, and now I'm learning my lesson in this life.

Well, the whole long story was to talk about a song that triggered a weird feeling and some strange emotions in me (the reason why I found this site and joined it). I had an Indian bf (now ex) who went back to india last Christmas for a month, and a week after I came back, I found out he cheated on me with a girl named Priya.

Anyway, I listen to Indian songs all the time, and I love them, but they never trigger weird feelings. I then listened to this song "Oh Priya Priya", and when I heard it I felt strange, and maybe almost like a longing or like I missed something. I know it wasn't anger or anything about what happened with my ex bf, because that happened almost a year ago, and I am in a happy relationship now with someone else, so I'm 100% sure that's not it. It was just a weird feeling and made me have almost like chills and numbness, like a tingling feeling. Then I thought, could I have been an Indian man in my past life unfaithful to a woman named Priya, and in this life the karma followed me, and in turn I had a bf who cheated on me with a girl named Priya? Past life, or just a coincidence?

IndianWannabe. I know this is an old thread but I wanted to tell you that I am really like you. When I watched the movie Ghandi I had a deja vu looking at all the places in India filmed in that country. I belong to a Hindu organization, have Indian friends and listen to mainly all Indian music. I really do not desire to move there because all of the Indian friends I have want to move to the United States.

Back