We shouldn't really help homeless people should we?

Discussion in 'Reincarnation, Religion and Spirituality' started by JustinTime, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Graham76man

Graham76man Senior Member

You lost your money!

Jim78 likes this.
  2. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

Red Dwarf?

A little reincarnation humour.

fireflydancing and AlexD like this.
  3. Zeroturnzed

Zeroturnzed Nobody's Life is a Cosmic Joke.

I'm not so sure that Karma is what we think it is. Sometimes I feel like what goes around comes around aka Karma, If Karma rights everything then why would someone believe in Hell. I believe that Karma says that to progress you must atone for your wrongs, either by being the victim of what you have dished out or by righting the wrong that you caused. If and when we reincarnate, it is a choice that we make to progress. I believe that we have a choice whether or not to reincarnate. Progress through the mortal plane is quicker than through the spiritual plane.

In the case of the homeless, I believe that a hand up helps that person's soul learn a lesson they may need to progress. A hand out temporarily eases their burden but leaves them to work out their own "Karma".

Angie Brown and fireflydancing like this.
  4. fireflydancing

fireflydancing just a fly in the sky Staff Member Super Moderator

We all need a hand from time to time.

5. Ritter

Ritter Banned by Moderators

I am neither a good or a bad person. But I believe I tend towards good. Been defending weaker people with my capacity for violence and helped people with my capacity to have a steady job, for my whole life. I am a typical cop and soldier. I intervene and stop people who are essentially like me, men of violence, but for different reasons. So you could say I am in the middle. I do sort of okay in the modern world, in which evrything is turned on its head. I would have fared better in the world of a thousand years ago, but I manage.

Now! I have noticed a big pattern when it comes to people who have serious issues with modern life and end up getting the shitty end of the stick. If you dig a little, many of them (not the psychos, though) are artistic, noble and are pretty bad at earning money in the hamster wheel. They often lack the ruthlessness most people need for office politics or good grades etc. They do their own thing and fail. Or they are highly sensitive people who need to dampen their angst about modern unnatural life and strains with alcohol, drugs or something else.

My hypothesis as far as reasons go is that family structures have changed far too much, as well as how we lived, loved, ate, worshiped and worked.

Outline of how people lived a few hundred to a millennia ago:
    1. They lived in clan-like structures in the countryside. Several generations of a family and kin living right next to one another. There were not just two people and strangers at kindergarten to raise the children and do the daily chores. Modern children grow up without their parents, and that leaves an unfillable void. And their grandparents are strangers to them. They are raised by the state, nannies or private schools, in essence. This is a fundamental reason people fail and become fragile, depressed, because they do not develop right.
    2. Almost everybody a long time ago worked from home, farming and doing crafts. There were no offices or factories.
    3. They ate all-organic produce and grass fed meat, unpolluted fish and so on. It is a myth that ordinary people in the medieval period ate badly. Nobles actually had a more unhealthy diet, because they ate white bread and fancy stuff that was overly sweet, fatty and salty etc. Farmers, most often, ate simple but high quality food. The stuff we pay big bucks for these days, in point and fact. Rye bread, vegetable stews, salmon, cheeses, eggs, pies, soups, pork etc. We have a very negative view on medieval nutrition based on some horrific examples of oppression and famines as well as on bad theories. Scholars today know better, even if pop science does not. Modern nutrition is far worse than medieval nutrition, hands down. Those people had never seen a McDonald's or processed foods full of chemicals, fillers, refined corn syrup and mystery additives. None.
    4. People used to have a faith. And most faiths and traditions are far superior to living without them, when it comes to the social cohesion of families and thus societies. Broken families make for unhappiness and broken children. It hasn't worked out well, and we see the results clearly today. The worst examples of the past are often used as deterrents, much lile with the nutrition. People really used to be happier, even if their material standards were lower. Their lives were about family, not things.
    5. People did not have TVs or mobile phones. They spent time with each other, doing things. A far more meaningful way of life.

Those who are on the top of the food chain of the modern world are the ones that are the most greedy, cunning, ruthless and amoral. Hands down. How else do you describe a lawyer, a banker or a successful businessman in general? They are usually not very nice people. The modern world favors their type, though. While it certainly does not favor those who instinctively miss all these things that have been robbed from them. Family, good upbringing with their own family, faith, proper food, social belonging and so on.

I remember how it was, clearly enough. You can't look at the world today without seeing that it is completely broken. The only cultures that aren't broken are the ones who we stupidly consider to be "backwards". In my opinion, those backwards types are far wiser than any person whose life revolves around a stupid career and buying meaningless objects. It just removes him or her from everything that really means anything.

Those who do the worst in this terrible torture tragedy of a society are quite often really good people inside. It just goes wrong for them because they can't live like this. Unnaturally. It breaks them.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  6. Jet

Jet Active Member

I believe one of the main reasons we are here is to love people and do good. Didn't Jesus say whatever you do to the least of these you do to me? Looking at someone who needs help and trying to decide if they need help is not our job. Therefore, by the grace of God go I is a saying I use to remind myself to be more charitable. I try to give help to homeless when I can. Many people are too disabled to work become homeless.

Speedwell likes this.
  7. Polaris8

Polaris8 Senior Member

That's a tuff question to answer. Living in San Francisco I see and experience this everyday. As soul we all chose to experience certain things while we are here as we all have free will. Being homeless is one of them. Certainly we all have experience this state of awareness in this life or in lives lived long ago. So its a soul lesson to learn that is for sure. However it is very complex as to how one arrives there. Mental illness, drug uses, loss of job, divorce, loved ones die on you ect…. Yes much of it is karmic in nature however the karma is not there to punish one but to teach one soul a lesson by experience. Helping by giving money on the street is a kind act from the heart however it will not solve the problem in the long run. And many use this as a way to make a living although a marginal one at best.

The old saying give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime would be better way to help the homeless. For many do not know how to navigate thru life on the physical plane every well. So it's a matter of if they want to change or not. Although some don't have the mental or emotional ability to change in that direction in which case they need help in another direction altogether. So there is nothing wrong with helping the homeless. It's a matter of how to help in the long run which would be the answer. Giving to social programs that help change the directions of those that have no place to go is a start.

8. KenJ

KenJ Assistant Archivist and Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Thank you Polaris for your perspective. I started a thread similar to this one several years ago that created quite a stir among the PC crowd which led to my asking for it to be deleted.

9. Jet

Jet Active Member

I think it is very difficult to explain everything that happens to us as something we chose for ourselves. I have given this a lot of thought. What I come up with is that sometimes sh-t happens. I think we are all in the Creator's motion picture until we evolve out of it.

Just. My. Thoughts.

landsend likes this.
  10. iwishicouldtellyou

iwishicouldtellyou Active Member

I believe in helping all in need. When I die, I would rather have lived a lifetime of giving and helping people, rather than having a large bank account. No matter what you have when life is done you are no greater or less of a person. Status symbols leave us when we leave this earth.

Therefore, helping the homeless and others when you can makes sense. Not out of some feel old Hallmark moment. But because in the end, everything you leave behind on this plane doesn’t follow you into the next life.

The last age., Jet and Klaud like this.
  11. The last age.

The last age. Active Member

I agree ,that while 'karma' is part of our fate ,we are being given lessons which we would not necessarily choose ,or even guess at
    as we are being 'evolved' or 'developed' by someone who knows everything while we are still infants .We are in a programme of learning
    and suffering comes until we learn to love properly .

12. The last age.

Yes it is a lesson to be studied in how to help those who are genuinely desperate and will use kind gestures and help from 'institutions ',and those who are hardened and cynical and determined not to learn anything . However as a Christian I know that there is no better help than grace from believe
    and hope in Jesus over time ; it shows up in true astrology .

13. The last age.

I think what follows you is 'grace '.

14. cloud potato

cloud potato Senior Registered

How you see others and experience the world around you is a reflection of what's happening within. For example, I gave a con man some food one day to which he replied, "What? I want money not food!" But I did the same for an actual homeless man and he felt so much love and thanked God in front of me. What's more? He said, "Bless you." He didn't say, "Bless me." The question becomes, how do you choose to see and interact with the world? The right attitude is the key to success. If you are to scrutinize anyone, let it be yourself so you might find salvation.

15. tanker

tanker Senior Registered

I bought some food for a couple of young homeless men on the street recently. (I never give money, only food.) To have seen their face light up and the lovely smile they'd given me was a gift indeed. It's humbling to go back to a warm, comfortable house and think of the conditions they have to sleep in. They made no complaint about the freezing conditions. On a bleak day when my own life was falling apart, I felt I'd received far more than I gave, and learned something in the process.

16. KenJ

KenJ Assistant Archivist and Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

You are a gentle soul tanker!

tanker and SeaAndSky like this.
  17. Jody

Jody Senior Registered

I know one song that answers this question well. It's very, very old.

18. Hechicera

Hechicera New Member

I have my own explanation about Karma and past lives.

A. Karma,
    Have you ever done something with your best intention and without knowing, you were hitting someone? Have you ever meet someone that is a “bad” person but everything goes great for him/her?
    Well this is because Karma is based on intentions and not in actions. For example, if you help someone without waiting for something in exchange, your Karma will be better than if you do the same action but thinking about a profit or knowing that you re going to affect someone else.

2. Homeless
    We have all of us chose what we wanted to learn in this life. Personally, I know I have an intrepid soul, and I want to try everything in this life. Being rich, having so little, living in the most modern city, living in a desert.
    3 years ago I changed my comfortable life for a life with more challenges (but I’m not that intrepid, i know I ca always come back to my past life)
    So for me homeless are people that made their choice before born, maybe because they wanted to see the other side of things or maybe as a punishment... we never know.
    But maybe the thing that they are going to learn in this life is trusting people, accepting help, reinforcing the dignity without material things ... and maybe in this life, you’re supposed to learn how to share, how to concede...

fireflydancing likes this.