What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Members Lounge' started by Ailish, May 7, 2008.

1. starchild

starchild Senior Registered

I'm reading the Dark Queen by Susan Carroll. It's the first book in a trilogy about three sisters of the earth (aka witches).

It's quite interesting so far.

2. Skarphedinn

Skarphedinn New Member

I am reading Karen Blixen at the moment.

Concerning authors of spiritual books, I am a great fan of classics like C. G. Jung, Paracelsus or the the collection of various writings titled Rosarium philosophorum.

Skarphedinn

3. Karoliina

Karoliina Moderator Emerita

I can't say if I like old literature better than modern, as I have favourites in both, and I think a good novel and writer are good no matter when they were written/born. :D But yes, I also think we often like to read about eras/cultures we have lived in in our past lives, and for me British literature is important also for this very reason.

It's been years since I last read the Brontës, but I think they were very powerful novels with interesting characters and great description of the scenery. Big emotions that were almost too much for a teenager. Jane Austen, on the other hand, is just so witty, sharp and observant, you have to love her. Very different from the Brontë sisters, and maybe more suitable for my more cynical age now. :eek:

Karoliina

4. luc72

luc72 New Member

The Fabric of the Cosmos: Space, Time, and the Texture of Reality (Brian Green) a great book about the string theory :)

Yesterday I've ordered the Holographic Universe.

H. P. Lovecraft :eek: :laugh:

Quantum mechanics & sci-fi. One of my favorite is Time Patrol by Poul Anderson

[​IMG]La straordinaria storia della vita by Piero Angela. I think the english title is The Extraordinary Story of Life on Earth but I'm not sure :)

5. Ginger_Mandrake

Ginger_Mandrake Ever Confused

If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B Movie Actor by Bruce Campbell.

6. Phoenix

Phoenix Forgot to play nice

I'm reading "The Youth Gang Problem: A community approach". It's a really boring textbook, written in pompous and turgid prose, about street gangs.

I'd rather be reading a novel by **** Francis or Marion Zimmer Bradley or Heinlein.

Phoenix

7. Frerotte

Frerotte Senior Registered

Kazuo Ishiguro: 'Never Let Me Go'

Interesting novel about a dystopian society set in England where people are are raised as clones to be donors for the medical community.

8. Esoterica

Esoterica New Member

Right now I'm reading course material "World Religions" for my class at University of Metaphysical Sciences. Other than spirituality, I admit to loving the Romance magazines like True Romance, True Story, etc. I love reading True Crime too. I guess I'm kind of ecletic in my reading desires. : ) : ) For the next year though I'll be doing a ton of reading for my classes w/ the university. : )

Eso

Love to learn

9. somkid

somkid New Member

I really wish I had time for pleasure reading... wait I take that back I do have time I'm just so burned out from reading academic books I don't even want to look at a newspaper.

Every morning when I get to work I read a page of "The Buddha's Book of Daily Meditations" Edited by Christopher Titmuss, it is a book of short quotes with big meanings and it gives me something to think on for the day.

I am currently reading "The Buddhist Tradition of Mental Development" written by Peter Della Santina, a close personal friend of mine and the Philosophy and Religion department here at Chiang Mai University, Peter passed away in 2006, we are currently translating all of his books into the Thai language. All of his books are for free distribution (in Thailand anyway). In any event the ISBN for the English version is 978-974-05-1300-1 I don't know if you can get it free where you live or not.

I am also reading and editing for a second edition "Karma for today's traveler" which was written by Phra Bhasakorn Bhavilai a Buddhist monk and one of my graduate students. This book is also free for distribution I don't know if you can get it in North America or Europe though, the ISBN is 974-656-846-9

If anyone is seriously interested in or busting to have either one of these books let me know and I will get you a copy worse case you may have to pay the postage.

10. Ailish

Ailish Administrator Emerita

11. Kislany

Kislany Just searching...

I'm reading now something completely different and I'm enjoying it too much. Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews, a paranormal romance/action novel (I genre that I just adore :D )

12. ChrisR

ChrisR Administrator Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm about a half way through Many Lives, Many Masters by Brian Weiss, and then I'm also expecting Roger Woolger's book and cd in the post any day now - :)

13. star rover

star rover Senior Registered

I've just started reading Flag in exile...

...which is my latest read in David Weber's Honor Harrington series: military science fiction stories about a female space navy officer, who is so tough, strong and independent, that most men looks meek in comparison :cool and her telempathic extraterrestrial six-legged treecat! :laugh:

I'm a living self-contradiction: I dislike physical violence and strongly dislike militarism and aggressive nationalism, but at the same time I'm a total sucker for military suspense stories - especially when the leading characters in them are strong-willed and competent women on equal footing, or even more than equal footing, with men... :thumbsup:

Star Rover

14. Justin Smith

Justin Smith New Member

I've just finished "Smilla's Sense of Snow," by Peter Hoeg. It's a wonderfully atmospheric murder-mystery.

I also loved "Basilisk Station" by David Weber.

15. star rover

star rover Senior Registered

Ah! It was "Basilisk Station" that got me hooked on the Honor Harrington series! The very first I read!

"Smilla's sense of snow" is an excellent novel. It was even made into a movie some years ago! :thumbsup:

16. indigobutterfly

indigobutterfly New Member

My favorite topic! I'm a HUGE reader!!! I am reading 'Ask and it is Given' by Esther and Jerry Hicks. I LOVE 'Courageous Souls' by Robert Schwartz. You have to read it!! It's about how we choose our challenges pre-incarnation. There are a few mediums who go to the other side and listen to your soul discuss what challenges you choose to experience. They hear you discuss with other souls why you want them to play certain parts in your life, etc. Excellent book. I LOVE all of Brian Weiss's books, and of course Michael Newton's books about life btwn lives regressions. I LOVE Sanaya Roman's books. She channels and has great messages come through about spiritual topics. I also love Lee Carroll's books. He channels Kryon. So loving!!

Aside from spiritual books, I like a good medical/detective mystery like Robin Cook's books. : angel

I'm totally going out to get Eat, Pray, Love!!! It's been on my to-do list!

17. soulfreindly

soulfreindly Senior Registered

Oh I dream of a summer of reading!! Hopefully next year. I am in the mood to reread my favourites and am starting with a book by Jeanne Avery called A Soul's Journey , reincarnation karma and past life memories of the holocaust . Some rather shocking and dramatic stories , not a light one by any means. Then I will go back to Brian Weiss's books.

Then I will read for the first time a book called Psychology and Kabbalah , " The author {Z'ev ben Shimon Halevi] examines psychology as the study of the archetypal world that hovers between Earth and Heaven- or between our physicality and the prenatal memory from which we came." Alot of theory , -- it looks interesting ..

soufreindly

18. Sunniva

Sunniva Administrator Emeritus

Hehe, I guess I'm the odd one here, but I mainly read fiction.

I just finished the new book 'Sorrows of an American' by Siri Hustvedt and it was *amazing*. The next book in my pile is by her husband - my all-time favourite - Paul Auster and I'm really looking forward to reading it :D

19. Kislany

I've finished reading The Unbelievable Truth by Gordon Smith the other day and I quite liked it. He is a famous medium in the UK and I had his books on my wishlist for a while now.

He writes about how he became a medium, the book it's sort of an autobiography, but he also writes about other subjects and what he thinks about them, about myths on life after death, heaven and hell, ghosts, altered states, reincarnation, etc. I particularly liked the chapter on reincarnation, and he rebuffed some myths about it. He also warns about some the so-called psychics who tell their 'customes' that they were previously Cleopatra or Napoleon, etc. Then ironically he adds 'why they don't tell anyone they were street sweepers in the 1920s' I really liked his dry sense of humour throughout the book.

He went on to describe a flashback he had when he went over to France to a small town and he knew exactly where the pubs were, where the church was, etc. And he says he has never been abroad before in his life. This description was just like many experiences described here by forum members as well.

He wrote about Carol's experience with her children, and mentioned her book as well. I was smiling as I was reading that part.

He also mentioned Ian Stevenson and Brian Weiss.

Although the chapter on reincarnation is only about 20 pages or so, I found myself nodding in several places while reading this, actually I was nodding through pretty much all of his book :laugh:

20. Kislany

Usually I alternate a fiction with a non-fiction book, but somehow lately I've been on a non-fiction kick. After reading the Gordon Smith book, I've just finished now Across Time and Death by Jenny Cockell and I was deeply moved. I've already read her second book, Past Lives, Future Lives, a while ago, but I might just re-read it for the sake of continuity after this one.

And now off to some Charlaine Harris, going for Definitely Dead :D I can't wait for the tv series with Sookie and vampire Bill to kick off!