What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Members Lounge' started by Ailish, May 7, 2008.

1. Eva1942

Eva1942 A Walking Enigma...

This is my list.. I’m one of those who read several at a time..

- Light is the new Black by Rebecca Campbell

- The Inextinguishable Symphony: A True Story of Music and Love in Nazi Germany by Martin Goldsmith

- Inherit the Truth by Anita Lasker-Walfisch

- ...I never saw another butterfly... - Children’s poems and drawings from Terezin Concentration Camp 1942-1944 by Hana Volavková

And as a break from all those.. something light and amusing : Sparkle Pages by Meg Bignell.

Eva x

2. KenJ

KenJ Moderator Emeritus

Attached Files:

Eva1942 likes this.
  3. Eva1942

I’m reading a book my guides put in my path at the moment and I thought others maybe interested.

It’s by one of Australia’s leading mediums Mitchell Coombes called “Sensing Spirit”. Basically, it’s a book about how to accept your spiritual gifts as your own and also focuses on Spirit Guides and the like.

Eva x

4. Cryscat

Cryscat Senior Member

Currently reading: Blood in the Water - The Attica Prison Uprising of 1971 and Its Legacy by Heather Ann Thompson.

5. glia21

glia21 Explorer

I' ve just finished reading "Babbitt" by sinclair lewis and I am reading "Main street" right now. Babbitt is m kind of stuff, great humor and very at the point. Enjoyed it very much.

6. TruroNE

TruroNE Senior Registered

The Hornblower series by C.S. Forester... because I love some nautical fiction :)

7. Eva1942

Hey that’s sounds interesting! Do you recommend it? :)

That’s rather interesting you mention this Ken. My husband has a chronic condition that I have always suspected was some sort of Karmic payback that he was repaying.

It seems these pages confirm for me too, my suspicions. Thanks for sharing! :)

Eva x

8. TruroNE

TruroNE Senior Registered

Most definitely!! There's quite a few in the series, and I'm only on the 3rd currently. I tried to move on to something else for a bit but kept thinking about what is happening next in the series.

Eva1942 likes this.
  9. Cryscat

Cryscat Senior Member

Now reading:

The Only Plane in the Sky : An Oral History of 9/11 by Garrett M. Graff.

10. Rukeli

Rukeli Senior Registered

I'm reading Gypsy Boy by Mikey Walsh right now, it's written by someone who grew up in the Roma culture in the 80's as an autobiography.

11. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

College Student papers, emails, discussions, UGH. I did however purchase a new reincarnation book that looks promising - The Past Life Perspective - Discovering your true nature across multiple life times. By Ann C. Barham.

12. KenJ

KenJ Moderator Emeritus

I wonder if my library is as large as another one is becoming, I'm still buying them despite being sure that I'm unable to read them. I think that I'm doing this for Terri Lyn or a library with a neighbor that has books that her deceased mother left behind, or the Public library who would probably put them in the "New Age" section to be culled, traded, or trashed.

13. David Wilson

David Wilson Senior Member

Hi Lauren. "Home with God" is one of my favourite books! It covers so much ground, and I love the format of Neale's books in which God is as if put on the spot- required to answer whatever Neale asks! God speaks so very well for Herself in these books! Funny and Friendly, for sure! Once upon a time, " God" was an insurmountable proposition for me. Not so much these days.

fireflydancing likes this.
  14. Cyrus

Cyrus Senior Member

It's long since I left off reading books - now I only listen to audio-books by a small walkman and whenever I have time to lose (on a long road, waiting for my dentist etc.).

Almost always science-fiction or classics (Dostoevski, Maupassant, Remarque, Wells, Steinbeck, Marquez, Amado, Llosa, Michael Newton...).

Right now I've just begun to listen to Vernor Vinge's "A fire upon the deep" the first part out of 3 parts about 7 hours each.
    Almost always in Spanish or Italian; or in English, French or Portuguese if I couldn't find it in the first two languages.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  15. KenJ

KenJ Moderator Emeritus

Cyrus, your, and other's, multi-language knowledge humbles me, just saying.

16. Cyrus

Cyrus Senior Member

Sorry, if that disturbs you, Ken.

But take into account, that in my case all those languages are, basically, based on Latin.

So, 75% of all English words are of Latin origin, though English is considered a Germanic language !!!

It would be much harder for me to learn German or Greek, than, say, Romanian, to say nothing of learning some non-European language, like Hungarian or Turkish.

As a friend of mine said once (he's from Portugal): "O espanhol e' apenas o portugue's mal falado" [Spanish is only a badly spoken Portuguese] !!!

17. KenJ

KenJ Moderator Emeritus

I took Latin in high-school but it did not interest me as much as girls, math, sports, and geology. I found that I could maintain good grades without taking any home-work home (wishing now that I did).

18. Cyrus

Cyrus Senior Member

For me, Spanish is a good substitute for Latin. Pure classical Latin is much more different from, say, Italian, than Spanish. And besides, it's unnecessarily more complex.
    The modern Latin-based languages were formed from a very simplified (vulgar) Latin, and besides, all of them (except Romanian, maybe) were moderately Germanized.

19. Native Son

Native Son Senior Member

Actually there is only need for one language. The language of LOVE, which is universal, and also God's preferred mode of communication. Love is all! However, not everyone really understands this universal language, and therefore knowledge with other languages comes in handy.

The best thing about being bi-lingual, or multi-lingual, is that we can come to terms with the truth that words are just that, words. Our actions and reactions are the same in any language. And although there are as many different words for love as there are languages, there is only one God and only one way of saying I love you. Love is eternally ours.

But seriously, there are some advantages in knowing more than one language. One is that some great people have written in a language that is not our own, and although great writers always find a willing translator or two, there is no substitute for reading in the original. That way the "middle man" is taken out of the meaning, and perhaps, if we grasp the foreign language well, we also get all the little nuances, which may hold the key to understanding the true meaning and intent of the author. Some languages are better adapted than others at expressing certain sentiments. I have heard arguments that a romantic exchange between two enamored souls sounds more romantic in Italian or French. Perhaps it's in the accent.

This Christmas one of my daughters gave me, as a gift, a book; Leadership in Turbulent Times, by Doris Kearns Goodwin. I'm looking forward to reading it, since it seems that the current US political situation is in turbulent times, and we need more love than hate with our divide.

20. cloud potato

cloud potato Senior Registered

I have two life-long companions...
    One is from wahiduddins website and the bowl of saki, wisdom shared by Hazrat Inayat Khan found here
    https://wahiduddin.net/saki/saki_date.php

and the other is God Talks With Arjuna The Bhagavad Gita Royal Science of God-Realization by Paramahansa Yogananda
    after reading Autobiography of a Yogi I am extremely impressed by the poetic truths expounded by Yogananda

my upcoming book is
    Nobody, Son of Nobody
    Poems of Shaikh Abu-Saeed Abiel-Kheir
    Here it is for free,
    [​IMG]
    https://hohmpress.com/free-download...e-downloads/12052016-Nobody-Son-Of-Nobody.pdf

I hope one day to also get my hands on Doorkeepers of the Heart: Versions of Rabi'a
    Rabi'a al-' Adawiyya who writes poems like,

"I have two ways of loving You:
    A selfish one
    And another way that is worthy of You.
    In my selfish love, I remember You and You alone.
    In that other love, You lift the veil
    And let me feast my eyes on Your Living Face."

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    fireflydancing likes this.