What country are you from?

Discussion in 'Members Lounge' started by Deborah, Nov 6, 2011.

?

What country are you from?

1. North America

23 vote(s)
    56.1%
  2. South America

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  3. Asia

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. Africa

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Antartica

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Europe

11 vote(s)
    26.8%
  7. Australia

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. Ceridwen

Ceridwen Senior Registered

To clarify:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_Europe

Re the E.U. - British opinion is divided as to whether it is a good thing to be in the E.U. or not. We were originally "sold" the idea as being a Common Market with limited number of countries in membership (I was young at the time and got taken in by that and went round calling myself European and wanting to be part of a super-country called "Europe". I've since realised rather more about what it has really entailed for us). It does look rather like the E.U. is trying to regard itself as a super Nation State these days. It is certainly the case that it has a lot bigger membership than it used to have and is concerning itself with a lot more than trade.

Many British people are now accordingly against E.U. membership and wish to withdraw. The majority of us now wish to withdraw and there is a lot of pressure on our current Government to agree to a referendum as to whether we will withdraw or no.

Errr...yep..it would have been better if Britain had been listed separately in the poll originally, but mistakes can be made and those who believe we are part of Europe and/or want us to be in the E.U. have probably ticked that they come from Europe.

Others of us who take Europe as being continental Europe and/or are looking forward to when we are no longer part of the EU will have searched in vain for an option to tick and wont have ticked one.

Personally, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we will indeed be withdrawing and the sooner the better.

On a different tack, usual lack of memories prevailing, but I have strong inkling I've been Greek, Arabic, Turkish and from Scandinavia (Denmark I think) before now.

2. argonne1918

argonne1918 Senior Registered

The U.S. was supposed to do that also. The schools were already teaching metric measurements in the 1970's. But then the people who won the 1980 election (Reagan) put a stop to that. (Metric was too "foreign"). But now with everything imported we are half metric and half imperial. Gets confusing at times. Need two sets of wrenches, etc.

3. Ceridwen

Ceridwen Senior Registered

I didn't know that, ie re America was also due to have metric measurements.

Personally, I readily adopted the change to our (ie British) currency of 100p to the £. Much easier than £ s d that we used to have. However, metric confuses me and I operate in both "systems", but find I have to translate metric measurements and weights into our standard ones to be able to visualise how much is meant.

If someone tells me something is 9' x 1' then I know what they mean. Tell me something is 3 meters on the other hand and I am there painstakingly thinking "Right a meter is 39", so that means its 9 feet, 9". Ah...now I can picture how long that is...".

With weights as well, I find the same thing. If someone says to me that the food I am buying from a greengrocer weighs 500 grams (for instance) I instantly translate that into "About 1 lb then" and I understand how much I am buying.

4. helz_belz

helz_belz Super Moderators Staff Member Super Moderator

No matter where you are on the political spectrum, you cannot argue with geography. Geographically the islands of Great Britain and Ireland are part of the continent of Europe. Short of cutting through the Earth's crust and making a new tectonic plate, we're staying there and no amount of political discussion is going to change that.

5. argonne1918

argonne1918 Senior Registered

Same here. Most people here round off a "meter" to a "yard" so we can visualize it. We know someone is a foreigner if they say "xx yards" instead of "xx feet". They have to visualize meters instead of feet. I think the English speaking countries were all going to convert at the same time. Oh well.:rolleyes:

6. NirvanaGirl

NirvanaGirl Light Up The Darkness

7. jecartas

jecartas Registered

I'm in Devon in the south west of England

8. VikingGirlTBird

VikingGirlTBird Registered

Chesapeake, Virginia, The United States of America
    I am from Chesapeake, Virginia in the United States of America on the continent of North America. :) ;)

9. glia21

glia21 explorer21

Born in rural Austria, living now in Vienna, but my heart used to be in the mid west USA for decades coffee

I´m about to settle down now here for good mentally since a journey a year ago made me realize how things had changed over there :rolleyes: well, not really that it had changed that much but it made me understand that the things I was yearning for like having a family- having a life - I haven´t had it before like I have it now.

I was there in rural Indiana and feeling exactly the same pain I did before and I was happy to leave in a way :rolleyes:

10. MuchosVive

MuchosVive MuchosViveJaye

I currently live in Los Angeles, California USA and have lived in Las Vegas, Nevada USA as well.

11. guardedneed

guardedneed Registered

Hello from Manila, Philippines wine**

12. Stormy094

Stormy094 Stormy

Nebraska USA, but I'm totally going to move to Antarctica. Yep.

13. lilly

lilly Registered

From Estonia (Northern Europe) but living in Italy :)

14. Joy

Joy Registered

Born in Herefordshire England, then Wales, Norfolk, Germany now West Yorkshire. Pleased to meet you all.

15. starrynight

starrynight Senior Registered

You are practically a neighbour Joy, I used to live in North Yorkshire as well.wellllllcome to the forum

16. rangehorn

rangehorn Registered

North America but I'm here in the Philippines right now for business and a little travelling.

17. Agathe

Agathe Member

I'm Greek and French (born in Athens), and currently live in North America. I used to live in Greece (less than a few months) and in Belgium.

18. Alkibiades_S

Alkibiades_S Registered

I have lived in Greece,France and currently live in the U.S.

19. Borntobemild

Borntobemild Registered

Presently in Southwestern Ontario Canada, approx. 30 miles /50Km north of Lake Erie.

Very very comfortable and really enjoy time in the United States though. I think there is good reason for that.

20. Medea_

Medea_ Registered

I am from France and Italy but live in the U.S.