What do you do?

Discussion in 'Members Lounge' started by Deborah, May 10, 2008.

1. ladywoodcarver

ladywoodcarver Senior Registered

Things I have done in the past... Graduated high school! :)

I worked in about 8 different factories, as a clerk in a grocery store, housekeeping at a nursing home. The last factory I worked at was 8 hour days, 7 days a week, I lasted about 4 years standing on cement all day, then I just burned out.

I have been drawing and sculpting all my life in all kinds of mediums. In the mid 80's I started doing life sized soft sculpted animals (like a stuffed animal, but with many more componants) and did those for several years. Then I got into Pyrography (woodburned portraits) and did that for several more years. After that I took up woodcarving and did that for several years alongside and combined with pyrography. I was inspired by my friend Jay who is a quadraplegic to get into the pyrography and carving. He does beautiful work!

Now (well, not in the last year) I work with oven bake polymer clay making sculpts of animals.

4 years ago my friend Jay's wife decided to divorce him and sell the house they lived in. In order for him to keep the house (which he designed and built around his disabilities) he needed help. So my husband and I moved in with him. I get him out of bed in the morning and put him to bed at night along with helping him throughout the day (and various other things that go with being in a wheelchair).

I am trying to get inspired to get back into my sculpting, since I have no income and the holidays are coming! lol

I have a very great interest in past lives and remember a bit from at least ten of them.

Glad to know you all!

Take care, Donna

2. soulfreindly

soulfreindly Senior Registered

Ladywoodcarver.. Lovely carving of the horses head!!

Hello everyone ,,

Before getting ill I had varying interests and jobs. I did alot of travelling to Europe, Morocco, Mexico , across Canada a few times and in the States. I taught horsebackriding, was the first woman to be hired as a groundskeeper at my university. I graduated with a bachelor of science with plans on a masters in zoology and environmental work but I got ill . So I turned to short term , part time work to make ends meet. I was a daycare worker, made sheepskin coats, wrote a script for an educational documentary through greenpeace and several odd jobs but then I got too ill to do much of anything..

I did get involved 6 years ago in a small environmental group in my city where we were able to get a by law passed to prohibit the use of cosmetic spraying of pesticides. I am hopeful that I leave our planet in better working order with less pollution and better air and water. I have had a future memory of three lives from now and I am enjoying my life then , working at a lovely retreat on a beautiful lake so things can not be too bad..

I just finished my last braided rug --- it got to be a bit of an addiction so I am trying to branch into other things. I have a vegetable garden and am just freezing the last of my harvest before our nasty Canadian winter comes along in a couple of months..

I plan on trying my hand at painting this winter and maybe doing a blog about my past life journey.

soulfeindly

3. ladywoodcarver

ladywoodcarver Senior Registered

Thank you Soulfreindly! I haven't carved in years, but really did enjoy it. The horse head is anout 5" tall and carved from aromatic cedar. It was meant to be the top part of a cane.

Your illness sounds really devastating and I am so happy that you continue to improve! I'm such a wimp, a cold knocks me out! Luckily I rarely have even a cold. I admire you for your courage to find a way out of all of that! So happy you are doing better after all that time!

take care, Donna

4. soulfreindly

soulfreindly Senior Registered

Thankyou Donna I really am touched... Talking of being a wimp has touched a chord in me. Even after all of these years of pain I still cannot get over my fear of pain. On the outside I have shown my tough exterior , but it shows on my emotions .

I think we should all claim the wimp side of ourselves...

love soulfreindly

5. Alloura

Alloura Alloura

Hello

My first post here. What a wonderful place!!

Have had many jobs in this life. Went to Cosmetology school immediately after high school. Loved to do hair, but didn't like having to "push" certain products, so a friend & I started cleaning houses. I remember my Dad being horrified that I would choose to do menial labor, but actually I just wanted to have my weekends free and work my own hours!: angel

After a year, I took a job in a retail department store and ended up staying 12 years. Moved up through the ranks to Divisional Mgr., but decided to step down after marriage & getting pregnant.

I wanted to stay home and raise my kids - and was blessed to be able to. Did lots of part-time things during those years - worked as lunch-aide at school, cleaned houses (again!), and worked in a small boutique doing their visual presentations.

Also worked for a friend doing fresh flower arranging for 10 years. It was weekends mainly, so I was still home for the kids.

6 years ago, my husband asked me to come to work for him as an admin. asst. He is a project manager/electrician. I did and have now transferred to a different division doing "document control" - compiling information for technical submittals/O&M manuals. This is SO totally different from anything else I've ever done, but still interesting & pays the bills...

But none of these things really touch who I am either!!

Been into ceramics for many years, love to read (that would have been the perfect job):thumbsup:, sewing heirloom dresses, smocking, french knots, embroidery.

I have memories of several lives, and can see how some of my current interests have come with me this time around. :)

Love & Light

Alloura

6. Kohr-Ah

Kohr-Ah New Member

Electrician. Quite a nice and interesting job and I can pay my bills. Formerly I have done all kinds of strenuous and boring jobs. I hated it, went to school and now I have done few years this work. I'm happy with my current situation.

My life goal has nothing to do with my work. I want to know more about spiritual matters and probably have a family in the future. Also some personal stuff which I wont share here.

7. porkypine

porkypine New Member

When I was a kid, I never knew what I was 'going to be when I grew up'. I've done the minimum wage fabric store work and I've also worked selling photographic equipment (I was always fascinated by photography and learned how to process film the old fashioned way. I had my eye on a gorgeous 4 x 5 camera (Couldn't afford it.) :tongue: I also wanted to learn how to draw perspective so I had a short stint in architectural drafting. I couldn't afford to continue school at that time so architectural design never went anywhere.

Later, I ended up going back to school and got a degreee in electronics technology . I've been working on technical support for DANG!!!!! over 20 years now! Holy-moley! I'm getting old and crickety! :laugh::tongue: the last 12 years, I've done computer technical support for a university.

My typing is terrible which is why I'm no good as a receptionist/secretary... :tongue:

What I'd like to do, given the skills and good company? Disappear into the woods and only come out when I had to. :D

8. Susie

Susie Dreamer-former moderator

I have been a paralegal for about the last ten years, and I love my work. The group of people I work with are very special and open. I work in one of the most historic buildings in the city and...well...we all know what happens in old buildings. :D :D:butbut:

Prior I worked in a few doctor offices, and in the nursing profession before that. I had some profound and life changing experiences when I worked with the ill and dying. I knew when I had learned what I needed to learn and started moving toward the legal profession.

I also write- I am currently working on a novel and have had a few short stories published. I am open to writing a paranormal novel, or one where reincarnation is involved, but my stories are not of this genre right now.

Other then that, it's my beau, my cats, his cats and all of us! :laugh:
    :D : angel

9. Caillean

Caillean Senior Registered

Here is my story.

After school I wasn´t sure about what to do and thought the topic I was interested in, wouldn´t gain me any jobs. - I am interested in many things, but the arts have been always very strong. I went to study in a small academy culture management which was very interesting. And I could focus on a large perspective instead of having to narrow it down.

After that, I went to university to study art history for a while, until I changed my subject. Archaeology has always been the topic I was interested in and now I had the courage to follow that passion. I graduated this year with my Masters in Archaeology. Again, I have no speciality, I am more interested in the big picture, but I have a few topics I feel hugely drawn to, like for example the Mediaeval culture, or women´s life.

I am working at the moment as a museum guide in an art museum (for old European art). It´s not exactly what I studied, but I enjoy that work a lot. I like sharing interesting stories about the past, and if I see people smile at the end of my tour, then I am very happy.

Hmm my life goal. I have different ones. Writing has always been easy. Composing a book has been one goal for me. I´d like to write a book about some archaeological culture or one area in culture history, but in a way people understand it. Not for other researchers, but for everyone. I´d also like to create interesting exhibitions that link the past to the present. I´m trying to find the courage and the ideas about a topic where to start. There are so much interesting topics in the world :)

Another goal would be to grow spiritually and emotionally. Find balance. And especially, trust my intuition more and be more calm about things. Dare to live and learn.

10. Tuwamare

Tuwamare New Member

What I do

Hi... thanks for the great thread! :)

As for me, I am a mom to eight marvelous children. I have been an actress (nothing anyone here would have seen me in... LOL), a retail clerk, a cashier in a historical museum, a secretary for rabbit shows, and many other things.

Right now, I write articles for people's websites as my primary profession. I have trained as a doula, and currently provide reiki therapy to anyone who needs it, though I specialize in pregnancy, labor & postpartum. My husband and I are building a website about childbirth that we hope will eventually help pay bills.

I also do artwork (draw, paint, fiber arts) related to birth, animals and so on. I am a midwifery student, although I have not had an apprenticeship yet. I am working on academics when I have time.

11. bluegreen

bluegreen New Member

Hi There!

I worked along with my Dad in the Jewelery business for awhile doing odd jobs from running errands to polishing emeralds.

I had plenty of odd jobs from waitressing...cleaning houses...tutoring...when I went to college.

I did a ton of traveling from the Andes Mountains...Egypt...Swiss Alps..etc..etc..

I am now busy raising a family in a foreign enough land. I am working very hard to raise three exotic teenagers in a good manner.

I am lucky that I am living a rather Jane Austeny type life where my husband and I are developing a rather grand personal property.

My short term goal is to survive my beautiful teens. My long time goal is to continue my spiritual awareness by example.

I would like my property to be a spiritual retreat for tired souls. I would like to continue my personal work with comforting and talking with homebound elders. Helena

12. Klarry

Klarry Senior Registered

I'm an archaeologist. I have a BA Hons Archaeology and a Masters in Geoarchaeology and work as a Project/Research assistant on a project to excavate part of an Insula of a nearby Roman town. I'm currently on maternity leave though and don't think I'll be able to return.

I'm also a trained clinical hypnotherapist and I trained with the intention of helping people with their past lives. Since I qualified, I got so busy getting married and having my son that I never got the chance to make that happen.

I would love to put my hypnotherapy to use with past lives one day and/or would love to write a truly great novel and start painting again. Right now though, I have to concentrate of my new role of being a mum! :)

13. Ailish

Ailish Administrator Emerita

Awwww you had your baby, Klarry! :D Congratulations on your new little son - I wish you and your husband a lifetime of happiness with him!

And it's nice to see you back online :D

Aili

14. Sunniva

Sunniva Administrator Emeritus

That sounds so cool! I'm an archaeologist too (BA, studying for masters). Actually I really wanted to take some courses in geoarchaeology, because I'm specializing in prehistoric climate change, but it's not possible for me unfortunately :( (I have to take them at the institute for geology and it's almost impossible to take courses at a different faculty here due to an extended beaurocracy.

Anyway, if you need personnel let me know :thumbsup::tongue:

Congrats on your baby-son too!! :)

15. Klarry

Klarry Senior Registered

Thanks guys! It's taken a while to find the time to come back online but hopefully now Rufus is 5mths old and I'm feeling a little more confident and lot less sleep-deprived I can make more of a contribution again and catch up on what I've missed.

Sunniva - good luck with your Masters! It's a shame that universities etc are always so caught up in bureaucracy (with which I am all too familiar!). Prehistoric climate change is fascinating so I hope you can get on all the courses you need to in order to study it. It's a shame you're not over here - the university I work for has one of the best geoarchaeology programmes in Europe.

This is an interesting thread because since I had my son, it makes you question how you define yourself. I had defined myself so long by my job that I lost who I was for a while when I was suddenly at home with milk and nappies! It's been great reading everyone's professions to see how many transitions people make in their careers and that nothing is set in stone. Anything is possible.

xx

16. Lady of Shalott

Lady of Shalott New Member

I'm currently a bit over halfway through getting my bachelor's degree in Interior Design, and minoring in vocal music. I'm not working currently, but I worked the past two summers at a textile supplier, and this summer am hoping to intern at an interior design or architecture firm.

My goal at the moment is to get an internship for the summer and to finish school!

I love interior design because there are so many different directions I can take with it. I could design anything from homes to hospitals! If I get bored with one thing, I could change direction. Also, I might work on one project for a few months or a year, and then move on to a totally different project. I like being able to change. Really my passion is for colors and materials, so its possible that I could specialize in that area. I'm glad that I'm not totally locked into one thing right now.

17. Sunniva

Sunniva Administrator Emeritus

It's so exciting that you're studying interior designing! I love that. I've got several books by Terence Conran and I read most of the magazines that I can get my hands on.

At the moment I live in a tiny, tiny apartment so I'm very fascinated by how you create a living space that is both for working, sleeping and eating. I guess you can call it functional solutions :D . Not one piece of furniture is allowed in if it doesn't serve a function (or several hehe). I love it. However my poor boyfriend is getting a bit tired of moving the stuff around whenever I get a bright idea :cool:laugh:

18. Terra

Terra Senior Registered

Indology student here. I'm in my third year, so a year and a half left until I have my BA, which curiously enough will label me as a bachelor of ethnology. That's the weird thing about education system here, but I won't get into that.

I chose these studies rather spontaneously, only few days before the application's deadline, but despite the cloudy prospects of ever finding a (non-academic) job where my knowledge of Sanskrit, Hindi and Indian culture would be of much use, I rather enjoy it. During the first years of my studies, though, I found my passion in cultural field, theatre especially. Since I'm far from being gifted in acting, I stuck to helping with the management. I have volunteered in helping to organize a big cultural event, and after making friends at one local theatre I help out there a lot, which enables me to see just how everything works behind the curtain. Naturally enough I'm now considering apply for MA in cultural management and policy next.

19. Lady of Shalott

Lady of Shalott New Member

I also live in a small apartment, and since I'm a poor student, there's not much in the way of designing going on here! They haven't taught us about designing on a budget yet. ;)

20. Equestrienne7

Equestrienne7 Occasional visitor

Graphic Artist

I have been a graphic artist most of my life and for the past 11 years have worked for ETS, the company that creates the dreaded SAT tests (among many others). No I can't get the answers for your kid. ;)

I actually like my job and the company - hope to stay until I retire. The work I do varies from simple bar graphs to illustration work, so there is *some* creativity.

Life goal? To be happy. To own a horse again. I'd like to write a book, or get involved in illustrating books for children.

I must say I'm envious of you archeologists - in this country they used to talk about "The Three R's" in education - Readin' Ritin' (writing) and 'Rithmatic". I always said I'd prefer "the four A's" - Art, Architecture, Archeology, and Anthropology. Unfortunately I wasn't a good enough student for any of the last three - I've never been good with math and science - by maybe in my NEXT life! :thumbsup: