What do you do?

Discussion in 'Members Lounge' started by Deborah, May 10, 2008.

1. thephilosopher

thephilosopher Senior Registered

I don't think I ever "fit in" with any job I've ever had.

Neither do I "mesh" with American culture.

My interests are Shamanism, philosophy, and native cultures.

I am thinking more and more about my next life and the goals I can set for myself. I am looking forward to relaxing in a non-physical existence for awhile.

Warm Regards,

Richard

2. Ginger_Mandrake

Ginger_Mandrake Ever Confused

I still haven't figured out what I'm doing. I don't know what I want to be when I grow up :(

When I was younger I wanted to be a paleoarchaeologist or ancient historian. College was very expensive though, so I dropped out. Lucky for me, since the recession hit hard, I probably would have ended up homeless and selling pigeons in the city square.

Right now I like to tell people really extravagant things when they ask me what I do, but I make sure I use a lot of really large, and sometimes non-existent words when I describe my 'profession'. Really I am an unemployed, lazy bum, living at my parent's house dreaming about riches and fame. When I'm not doing this I try to get Arby's to hire me so that I can pay off my student loan, and I do volunteer work with holistic centers and crazy religious cults. I like to drink a lot of coffee, and I'm becoming quite the coffee snob. Folger's is not good enough for me, no siree.

Right now I'm trying to find something that I can do to make a living off of so that my parents don't have to continue supporting me, unfortunately the job market is terrible here right now. Luckily I'll be leaving to volunteer at a holistic retreat center in upstate New York. Unfortunately I'll only be making a stipend, which will barely pay my student loan every month. It's good for me though. Eventually I'm sure I'll be living in my car, befriending squirrels.

I think that all of you who want to write a book about spirituality and reincarnation should go for it! Maybe you could (stop) collaborate (and listen)!

3. Allerleirauh

Allerleirauh The Constant Companion

Hello everyone. :) I'm brand-spanking new to this site, but have been haunting it for a few weeks.

I was never one for school, so I skipped most of highschool and just did well on tests, so I got about B's. I did a short internship at an art museum during my senior year, but decided I enjoyed looking at art and doing my own research rather than doing other curator-type things. I knew I was never a college bound student, so I joined the army the summer after higschool.

I went to school in CA for 2 years to learn Arabic, then went to interrogation school. I love neurolinguistics and learning about people in general. I have an AA in Arabic and am working on a BA in military intelligence or foreign affairs; I haven't decided which yet. I work currently in a language lab, located in a basement (read dungeon) at a post where most everyone is deployed so I see about 5 people a day if I'm lucky. I would love to one day being an interpreter/translator or work in foreign affairs. My lifelong dream however is to do something in the performing arts.

I love reading and have been reading since before I could tie my own shoes. I also love almost all music but prefer blues, jazz, swing, rock, and alternative. I am a blues/rock singer in a bar band. I have a strong passion for dancing, especially blues and lindy hop, but also do most latin dances, ballroom, and most swing types. I go swing dancing at least twice a week. I always wanted to take ballet, but my family couldn't afford it. I love playing musical instruments and have a natural talent for stringed instruments. I also have a passion for art, I draw and paint. Storytelling and poetry also draw my interest and I spend a lot of my time on RPG sites. :) I have a natural affinity for languages, and pick up phrases just by watching foreign films. I also love old movies especially from the 20's-50's. I love travel, history, research, and so many other things that I wish I had more time to spend on, but I just don't.

Ok, I have a lot of interests and I want to do way too much to do in this lifetime. Maybe in the next one! ;)

4. Ginger_Mandrake

Wow Allerleirauh, sounds like you have a pretty awesome job! I love linguistics (but more of the socio-anthroplogical aspect more than the neurological aspect), especially the semitic and indo-european languages of the Middle East. MI is a crazy job, did you go to the Monterey language school for your studies? Are you in the military currently? Was your MOS 98 X-ray, by any chance? Twenty questions, twenty questions!

Welcome to the forum, it's good to have new people to add a different dynamic to the conversations. I look forward to reading some of your posts in the future.

5. Allerleirauh

Allerleirauh The Constant Companion

Wow, thank you for the welcome!

I joined the forum because I'm really interested in the idea of reincarnation and I'm exploring the possibility more and more. I was raised a staunch Christian, so it clashes quite a bit with my belief system growing up. But that has changed quite a bit as I've started looking at things apart from taking things at face-value from the church. Anyway, I've had a sneaking suspicion that I've lived before and have been told this before by other people. So I'm looking into it more. No memories yet, but there are other indicators. And I like seeing what others remember. :) It's really fascinating and there's so much!

Ginger_Mandrake: Yes, I'm in the military currently and yes I did attend DLI. My PMOS is 35M. Were you in the military as well?

6. Ginger_Mandrake

Allerleirauh,

I think you will find that the experiences and beliefs of many of the members of the forum clash with the teachings they grew up with, or the beliefs of friends and family members. I even have some Buddhist friends who make fun of me for being interested in reincarnation and the survival of the soul after death.

I have a lot of relatives currently in the military and friends who used to be.

7. W.A. HEART

W.A. HEART Senior Registered

Hi, Aller, welcome!

Your job sounds like *the* dream job to me! :D

I'm looking forward to knowing more of your experiences - in this life and others that came before... ;)

8. Lulz

Lulz New Member

I'm in a pretty big predicament right now myself, because I'm really torn between two careers that I want to pursue. I want to do something either with a combination of photography and graphic design or go through school to be a psychologist.

I really love art, but I also find psychology extremely interesting.

9. Truthseeker

Truthseeker Former Moderator

I'm going back to school to pursue psychology. I just started on Monday. :D

10. kmatjhwy

kmatjhwy Senior Member Staff Member

Guess will add to this thread. As for myself personally, I have been a Wilderness Wanderer one might say now for over 30 years, since 1978 when I was young. And to further define with wandering, traveling, and hiking thru out the Western U.S. with espicelly extensive hiking and wilderness living in the Greater Yellowstone Area and the Southern Utah Canyon Country thru the years. I have pretty much lived in the mountains during the summers and then working part time here in town doing retail work during the winters whereby I accumulate enough money to support me for the summers in the wilds. I have loved this lifestyle with living in the wilderness. Now even though am getting older and a little more settled it seems, I plan on continuing on this same path of living in the wilderness as long as I can. The last few years have very seriously contemplated after so much encouragement from some friends and acquaintances of writing a book and starting a website of my wilderness adventures. And for those that might be interested, here is a link to a few of my photos that I have taken in the wilds the last few years. Do Enjoy ....

http://reflectionsofthewild.zenfolio.com

Also to add for those that might be interested, that my signature kmatjhwy stands for .... Kayla M. at Jackson Hole, Wyoming if you

have wondered about this.

11. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

WOW kmatjhwy - what absolutely breath taking images.

Good for you - for living your life in such a wonderful fashion. ;) )*(

12. kmatjhwy

kmatjhwy Senior Member Staff Member

Deborah, glad that you enjoyed the photos! Life is always it seems offering soooo much. Wishing You the Best!

13. Equestrienne7

Equestrienne7 Occasional visitor

As a graphic artist myself, I can tell you you'll earn more $ as a psychologist! ;)

14. W.A. HEART

W.A. HEART Senior Registered

I'm sorry too. That really sucks. I hope things get better soon!

Awesome! I really believe you'll be great at it!!!

15. GoldFish65

GoldFish65 New Member

Hello Deborah and other forum members. Though I registered on forum some time ago, this is my first post. I am a former radio news reporter who now works full-time as a spiritual medium. It wasn't something I set out to do, however I've learned that this life, if left to unfold, has its' own agenda. I am so grateful for the presence of this site. As a previous skeptic about past lives I've had enough personal experience in the past four years to make me re-think my stance. Thank you for being here. :)

16. sconnie82

sconnie82 New Member

Since I've so enjoyed reading of others' exciting lives, I thought I'd throw mine in as a counter balance ;) So many interesting stories though!

I've always been a huge reader and learner in general. While many of my friends were wrapping up their college degrees in 4-5 years, I was frustrating my parents with my desire to obtain a degree in every field. As a result consisting of equal parts love of learning and lack of motivation, I still do not have my Bachelor's. I am finally going back to get my degree in English with a minor in Celtic Studies (a true passion).

My full-time job at the moment is with a tax servicing agency where I spend my days researching tax laws and searching huge customer mortgage files for lenders. It's even more exciting than it sounds!

My dream one day is to write, teach English at the high school or university level, and most importantly, open a brewpub/brewery with two good friends. One of my biggest hobbies outside of reading/learning is craft beer. Brewing good beer is a true art, and one that resides deep within my heart. You'll never see slamming Milwaukee's Bests all night until I'm sick, but debating the merits of Baltic Porters vs. English Brown Ales? Always!

17. Ginger_Mandrake

kmatjhwy, I lived in southern Utah last winter, it was so beautiful (when it wasn't snowing, I hate snow). I'm fascinated by the terrain and the people who live in that area. I met many survival experts and attended an amazing full moon ceremony on the slickrock. Nothing like watching the full moon rise over slickrock! If I could go back there right now I would, right this minute, I'd jump in my car and start driving.

Ladywoodcarver, I can't believe you worked in factories for that long! That is so very commendable. I think that factory work is some of the most challenging work, I did a few months worth for an organization but I don't know if I'd be able to make a career out of it.

18. ladywoodcarver

ladywoodcarver Senior Registered

I really didn't enjoy factory work! LOL But it got the bills paid. I don't have an income of my own now, but I have everything I need.

It is quite amazing all of the talented and educated people on this forum!

:)

Donna

19. hydrolad

hydrolad Senior Moderator Super Moderator

I'm nothing special, as an adult, I worked in a few hospitals, then worked for the Fire Department for 32 years, after my Father died, I took my Mother in to look after her, (she was not in good health).

It seems this lifetime has been a life of service (not bragging) and I often placed the needs of others over my needs, perhaps this life was to compensate for a PL of being selfish, I don't know.

Especially as a child, I wanted to be helpful (to Adults and other children alike), but had to be careful not to be labeled a "teachers pet"!

20. usetawuz

usetawuz Senior Registered

I am currently an attorney, but how I got here has become clear by refining my questions through the practices discovered and information I have gleaned from places like this one.

As a kid I was a good student by virtue of interest, listening and testing well, not by diligence and study. Opportunities arose and I took advantage of them. Everything was easy and those opportunities arose on a regular basis. So, listening, testing well and opportunity got me through college with a degree in Journalism from a major state university. I got accepted to law school and the navy's officer program...I went where they were going to pay me, so the navy it was.

My wife didn't enjoy the navy wife lifestyle and insisted I change careers, so she agreed I could go to law school if I could find a way...an opportunity arose...several. So during and after law school many other opportunities arose and I took the most attractive.

I became affiliated with a small firm providing transactional services and representation (solicitor's work), good, clean form work with banker's hours and no weekends. As the economy turned and things slowed down, the opportunity to dive into this realm of exploring the depths of our souls and the purposes of our lives came to the fore.

It is through this exploration I have obtained answers as to why these opportunities became available to me; why the path seemed to be laid clear; why I am here.

Friends are buying red sports cars, going through mid-life crises, and any number of odd, life-changing things...my changes went into researching my life/lives, improving my personal relationships and locating the direction my soul had intended for this lifetime. There are reasons why things happen and the directions we go...to me it is fascinating to discover these reasons. And I am so glad I found this site.