What do you do?

Discussion in 'Members Lounge' started by Deborah, May 10, 2008.

1. SkyeSpitfire

SkyeSpitfire Probationary

I walk dogs, look after kids and work as a freelance writer. After quitting/being sacked from a number of jobs that involved being in offices (I can't handle office environments) or other roles where I felt I wasn't contributing anything at all, I much prefer the things I do now. The flexibility also gives me the opportunity to focus on my writing -

I write a lot - novels, short stories, etc. I've been rejected time and time again by agents/publishers, sometimes with the standard beginning of, "Dear Author ..." lol.... It's becoming increasingly more difficult to break in as an author in order to bag an agent, because everyone thinks they're going to be the next Rowling or E.L James - the next phenomenon. Therefore, the amount of submissions has increased - including email bombardments and it's a lot easier to reject someone with a standard spill via email than post. Also, the agents' main concern is money - so if they don't think you'll sell, they'll reject you based on the first page because there's just too many for them to sift through! As for bagging a publisher, that's near-enough impossible. Publishers tend not to touch anything that hasn't been referred to them by an agent these days. There's always self-publishing/e-publishing but you've really got to have excellent knowledge of marketing and how to sell yourself.

But I've always known that it will happen one day so that's why I'm not deterred by the sackful of rejection slips. :D The way I see it is, once one novel has been rejected by every agent in existence, I'll then see if any improvements can be made to the improvements I already made before sending it out. If it gets rejected by every agent in existence again, I'll work on another story and repeat the same process again. And if the same thing happens again, I'll do it again - and again - and again - and never give up! Once I have my sights set on a goal, I'm determined to reach it - and this is by far the ultimate goal! However, the goal isn't just to be published - I feel compelled to influence people through my writing.

2. BriarRose

BriarRose Senior Registered

Hang in there, Skye. It's obvious you write well. I buy a lot of ebooks, and many are self- published. I like an author named Mathew Mather, who writes "techie" sci-fi, and I've noticed that he asks the reader to rate and review his books at the end. Writing isn't his day job. Publish on Kindle, and I'll buy a copy!

3. starrynight

starrynight Senior Registered

Hi skye, I like what you do. Walking dogs, being out in the fresh air, then writing for the rest of the day. Perfect!!: :D

But I've always known that it will happen one day so that's why I'm not deterred by the sackful of rejection slips. :D The way I see it is, once one novel has been rejected by every agent in existence, I'll then see if any improvements can be made to the improvements I already made before sending it out. If it gets rejected by every agent in existence again, I'll work on another story and repeat the same process again. And if the same thing happens again, I'll do it again - and again - and again - and never give up! Once I have my sights set on a goal, I'm determined to reach it - and this is by far the ultimate goal! However, the goal isn't just to be published - I feel compelled to influence people through my writing.

I am editing my novel for about the 3rd or 4th time & each time I see there is room for improvement. Writing is like any skill, the more you do the better you should get and I think the difficulty getting published makes you know how serious it is to you.

I managed to do a course recently sepcifically designed to find an agent. It covered presentation, contacting and how to get the leads in the first place.

I think if you feel so compelled it must be a deep rooted ambition so stick with it, at least the short stories will keep you going. I've not managed that discipline yet but am hoping to work at it soon.

I've spent the best part of twenty years wanting to write but only the last few making a real committment but like you am sure will get there eventually. Good luck;)

4. SkyeSpitfire

Hehe - yep, walking dogs and being away from the backbiting of the office is definitely something I'm pleased I moved towards. And as for the writing, I reckon you'll get there too. No matter what rejections you face or what anyone says, if you feel your story has to be out there for anyone to read, then don't stop, NO MATTER WHAT! Keep the faith in yourself and your writing - it's tough for writers, but they say that talent is 10% of it, and the rest is dedication! We'll both make it, as long as we're dedicated and believe in ourselves. Maybe we could help each other and send each other samples of our stuff, make suggestions, that sort of thing? We're both based in the UK and I've approached a number of agents and had some responses that maybe could be beneficial if you haven't approached those certain agents yet? Well, let me know - I know it's super tough but I reckon if we keep the faith strong, we'll do whatever we want to do! :)

5. SkyeSpitfire

Awww thanks BriarRose!! I am definitely going to remember your encouragement! And when (I say 'when' because my faith is strong!) I make it onto the books-on-shelves, I'm sending you a signed copy! :) Hehe!

6. starrynight

starrynight Senior Registered

DEFINATELY!

I have to say was getting quite good rejections which was keeping me in there but I I did put it to one side over summer. If nothing else it's teaching me patience. :rolleyes:

I agree with the 10% skill, am a much more critical reader and most of those published are in the business first.

I'm signing off now but will pm you next time I'm on. :D

7. SkyeSpitfire

Too true! Many who get in there are already connected in some way - no doubt it's who you know, as opposed to who you know - but us people who are trying to bash down doors will eventually get there!

8. Pyrosfuel

Pyrosfuel Senior Registered

Ouch... The law of attraction proves true 100% to both needs and wants. You just have to understand it as a parents point of view. That's the secret to the law. Ask and you shall receive. If you are a parent and your child asks for something, is the parent in its limitless love for the child not going to find a way to get it for them wants and needs alike! We as parents would give our children the world if it was in the realm of possibility. We are all gods children yes? God is our parent, and here's the kicker! God already gave us the world and supplied all of our needs!!! Now my biggest thought provoking idea is to flip it around. Everyone deserves more than just basic needs, such as to be happy, fulfilled, with an over abundance of love, just think about what you have always wanted to do as a child, how you loved spending you time, what you loved learning about most in school!!! I know everyone would be much happier if they could do all of this stuff as an adult. In a child's world every day is an adventure! Why would the adventure have to stop when you grow up! Everyone for the most part still has an apretiation for their childhood no matter how much or little you had, but this is the thing if the parent doesn't believe that they or their children deserve more in there lives for fear of the child being spoiled the family won't receive it. The parent has to take the time to teach the child to love and appreciate the things they have no matter how much they posses. The law of attraction has worked for me manny times in this same manner. I've also recently found out that just because you want more than you need it doesn't mean your greedy, It doesn't make you a bad person, it just means you finally understand you deserve everything life has to offer. The law does in fact work positively and negatively, it's the intent you put behind it!! If you want more money because you believe it is power, you'll get that too. You have to stay true to yourself and make sure you understand that this is a lie. Money is not power!! It is a peice of paper :) I see it as a means to explore the world that I have a long time ago forgotten it is an adventure that all pays off in the end.

9. littlesister

littlesister New Member

what I do

For over 18 years I worked as a Manager and Area Supervisor for a local school district-Food and Nutrition. I loved it, loved the children and it was a decent job-but I felt I had paid my debts there. It was a great job while I raised my kids.

Finally,I had done every thing I was even remotely qualified for. Once I hit the Supervisor spot I was maxed out in pay.

I didn't like that. I left the District making the same as I had 6 years prior. Yet cost of living continued to rise!

After leaving that job and finally ending an abusive situation with my spouse I moved and opted to return to school.

I knew I had to move forwards-not back. SCARY!!

I recently graduated as a certified Paralegal. I love the work-it's challenging and it's also public service.

I am interviewing with a local DAs office next week-in the Victim/Witness Assistance Division. I have a good feeling about the job.

I feel very solid about my career change. I always knew I *could* do more, I just didn't know ...more of what?

I really trusted my intuition on this career change. I would encourage everyone contemplating a change to GO for it!

So neat to see what everyone does.

little sister

10. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

So what do you do? wellllllcome

11. Axes

Axes New Member

i am self-employed. i work as a translator, and i recently started my psychology study. the aim is to get my master's degree in psychology and, eventually, to start my own practice. at the moment, i'm all about work and study.

my husband owns his own company, too (agricultural services).

in my spare time, i make music, playing various instruments

12. BriarRose

What style of music, Axes, and which instruments?

13. Axes

Axes New Member

i play guitar, both classical and pop. and i play the recorder in a classical ensemble (we play church music, mostly Bach, but also modern classical church music (Pärt, for instance), as well as hymns).

i used to play brasswind instruments, as well, but i gave them up in favour of my psychology study.

thanks for asking.

14. BriarRose

Bach is my favorite, and I used to try to play the recorder. I gave it up, by popular demand! Did the discipline of playing Baroque music appeal to you? I find it's structure comforting.

15. Mere Dreamer

Mere Dreamer Senior Registered

I grew up in central South America as an MK. Educated mostly at boarding school, plus two years in the US at a Bible Institute. I spent the next 17 years of my life in an abusive marriage and church, which drove me to a choice between death or escaping and being who I am.

Anyone who didn't believe what the mission/husband/church proclaimed was condemned to hell and ostracized, so I find it humorous to be who I am now in spite of all the attacks on and objections to my inability to conform.

Somehow, the stronger their certainty, the more I questioned. Now I live inside questions ... pretty much all the time. It's easier to love others when I don't pre-define their experiences.

For now I'm living with my parents and teenage children while slowly recovering from the severe health problems brought on by my past environment and am hoping to create a business out of what I do before my health reaches the point where I could handle outside work.

I blog about the lessons I've been learning, encourage the many discouraged people who drop into my life, and sell my art from time to time.

I also manage social media organization, websites, and sometimes graphic design for anyone who inspires me and seems to need the help. Last year I began to assist with behind the scenes management and marketing for a few creative friends, to free up their time to do what they love. Sometimes they insist on paying me commissions when they make a profit thanks to my efforts. That has been an interesting and inspiring side-effect of being myself. Apparently my work has value.

I am drawing a series of artworks inspired by the connections among friends, aiming toward my first gallery showing, and have teamed up with a graphic designer to create a line of products using my smaller illustrations. We'll see where that goes.

16. BriarRose

You have had a very interesting, although difficult life, dreamer. PKs and MKs have a tough time. For non-fundamentalist Christians, it's our shorthand for "preacher's kids", and "missionary's kids". I suppose it could be "minister's kids". Was it in your case? People in the church were determined that my first husband would be a preacher. I would have been the worst preacher's wife that ever lived on the planet. Your experiences shaped you, and made you the the complex person you are, dreamer. I'm very glad you've joined us.

17. Mere Dreamer

Mere Dreamer Senior Registered

Thank you, BriarRose. I'm excited to have a new community to meet, and more reliable research to study. I've seen enough to drop the defense and suspend disbelief. This is worth exploring.

My parents were missionaries, and would be horrified if they knew how much my beliefs have changed ... though I have warned them that my thinking is significantly different since processing everything that happened. We don't talk about it much, mostly because they inadvertently pressure me to spout the same old words to make them feel better, and I'm not prepared to fight with anyone over my changed views when I have difficulty explaining the transformative state I'm in ... even to myself.

18. BriarRose

That's where things stood with my mother and me, until she died. She would pressure me to go to church, and I thought it was better not to talk about it. I never agreed to baptism, and in my denomination, that generally happened around 12, or the age of accountability. I just never believed what they believed, and all I felt at the idea of immersion was horror. This may be past life related. Have you done any reading in the forum's "Religion" section yet?

19. Axes

Axes New Member

the style of music i play or listen to, doesn't matter to me. it can be Bach or Tchaikovsky, Holst or Chopin, The Beatles or the Beach Boys, Radiohead or Faithless.

what matters to me is how the music was performed

and i agree that baroque music has the peculiar characteristic of being very non-intrusive or non-demanding on the mind, when one listens to it. it resonates with logic and predictability, and is therefore usually very soothing.

it doesn't force itself unto the mind, like some styles, but it invites the listener instead to make an effort to focus on it.

20. BriarRose

Yes, I agree, Axes. I like many kinds of music, but the Baroque challenges, and relaxes at the same time. It's a tradition for me to listen to the Brandenburg Concertos during Easter breakfast. I've been doing that since 1975. I have no idea why I find them connected, and why I started this ritual, but it is a pleasant one.