What do you miss the most from a PL?

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Hathaway, Jul 14, 2005.

1. usetawuz

usetawuz Senior Registered

To me, a sense of honor and graciousness is sadly lacking in today's society. I deeply understand and feel a gentleman's obligations and responsibilities, and our current world neither acknowledges nor values such qualities. I assume those characteristics are ingrained in my mind due to long past lifetimes and they arise each time I am faced with a decision...then I must readjust and do what will be acceptable in this day and time.

The lack of privacy enabled by cell phones and the instantaneous distribution of news via the internet also speeds up our lives...I've gotten the sense that this "right now" life style focuses our minds on the material world instead of allowing time for reflection and pondering things that will help us better understand our world and lives.

These both came through clearly when compared to where and how I live now.

2. Totoro

Totoro Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

I agree with that too. I have a level of dedication and "gentlemaness" that's beyond that of my peers.

It's funny though, i've allways said that i feel about 60 years old :laugh: but the good kind, I feel i have the same outlook as someone whose had a long life full of hard at times, but meaningful work, family, and understanding of self respect and the connection to the world and people around you..

3. Kapitan

Kapitan Probationary

I can't say there is too much that I actually miss at the moment because I am able to regain a semblance of what was -

I can dress like I did then

I can play music that was around during my time (found an excellent site for that)

I live in an old apt. that has much of the original stuff: light fixtures, sink dated '39, wood mouldings, and the old metal radiators which I absolutely love for heating, etc.

I have old furniture, sewing machine, dishes (except pots and pans and silverware).

One thing that I do miss is living near the coast and working on ships...well, that's actually two things but anyway...

I miss the great Cape Horn ships - although there are some preserved and some sail still at the Tall Ships event.

4. Obie

Obie Senior Registered

I miss the smell of magnolia trees in full bloom (its a sweet yet spicy floral scent.) I didnt know magnolia trees emitted a smell but from the dreams I have had I realized they smelled lovely when in bloom. I dont know if anyone can confirm this whether or not you can smell a magnolia tree.

I like the smell in the summer evenings, its kind of a burnt smell - I've smelled it in various countries, and various places I've lived. Its hard to explain but takes me back to a simpler time.

5. usetawuz

usetawuz Senior Registered

I miss a world made up of items with a natural tactile quality...possessions made of wood, wool and cotton, iron, copper and leather. A world which includes real smells...well, maybe not all the old smells because some of them were really bad, but I am viscerally jerked back to a comfortable place every time I smell a horse barn, with its tang of leather, fermenting hay and road apples.

I feel a sense of comfort when I run my hand over a piece of material made of raw spun wool...

I sense a nostalgic feeling when I cherish the few moments in which I hear...nothing. Nothing but the sound of wind blowing through trees, cicadas screeching, birds trilling and squirrels barking...no sound of distant or near traffic, airplanes or blaring music.

6. Totoro

Totoro Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

that's what I even miss from being a kid.. things that were made by people and not machines. I miss ticking clocks and the smell of real food being cooked on the stove, real wood floors that have just been waxed, etc

7. Cryscat

Cryscat Senior Member

Have you tried going to the Great Lakes? In Ohio, Lake Erie would be the closest one. Those lakes are huge and generate their own weather, like the ocean.

8. Sister Grey

Sister Grey Senior Registered

That's so rare nowadays! Even when I was a kid and lived in a remote area, it was difficult to not hear noise from lumber mills or distant farm equipment. But a few years ago when I was in the Arctic, in the middle of winter, I walked far enough away from the buildings and deisel engines, and heard...nothing. It was very, very strange, almost hallucinogenic.

9. Shiftkitty

Shiftkitty Registered User

After the attacks of 9-11, when I was living in the Silicon Valley, it was so eerie to look up in the sky and NOT see an airplane! I worked close to the San Jose Airport and we all were quite accustomed to hearing the jet liners landing and taking off. It was strange to think that of all of us, from the youngest driver to the oldest exec, that not one of us had ever known a sky without aircraft in it! It was kinda creepy, like something out of the "Twilight Zone". We laughed to think how we all thought it was "unnatural"!

(Sorry for the threadjack!)

10. Ceridwen

Ceridwen Senior Registered

Though - as previously stated - no memories...more inklings and things that are familiar....

Having said that - the money it would appear I have been used to in the last life or two:(. I'm human enough too that I still find it "itches" having to "compete" for everything I have on an equal basis, rather than having anything "by right". Who wouldnt want money and a bit of "influence" just because of an "accident of birth"? and subsequently miss it when having to work for everything you get (and still don't get much....).

Like I said - I'm "human"...:rolleyes:

Non-personal things - well....the sense of being "boxed-in"/intruded upon that we get in this current lifetime is new to me (to most of us I guess). The knowledge that everywhere is SO overpopulated and there are people people wherever one goes...there are always more people anywhere than feels comfortable. The "intruded upon" feeling is down to the Surveillance Society we live in. I'm surprised no-one has mentioned that to date - ie the closed circuit cameras everywhere/the "spying" on what we view on the Internet/the employers who check their employees out on Facebook and now technology is at the very earliest stages of being able to read our minds (ie the early stages invention that has recently come up to "help the disabled think their words to other people" - yeah...right...thats the justification right now, but it won't take long before the technology becomes refined/widespread and used for evil by the "nasties" and "misguided people" of the World. If Society keeps on the track it is at present (ie technological Society) - and that is a big IF of itself as we know - then there will be a time and it might be in my lifetime when others are trying to "spy" into our very thoughts....and, at that point, it will be time for me to Go Home (for good this time).

11. Shiftkitty

Shiftkitty Registered User

Oh, I don't know about everywhere being so overpopulated. There are plenty of places in the US with 3-digit populations. I'll be moving to one later this year if all goes well. Problem is, very few people want to deal with the inconvenience that life in a small town brings, so they choose to stay in or near major population centers for the sake of the Mega-Lo-Mart. For a really interesting look at the human race and the cheek-by-jowl lifestyle, read Desmond Morris' "The Naked Ape", particularly the chapter on tribes and "supertribes". I agree, though, in a larger town on up, it's easy to feel very boxed in, and all those cameras don't help one feel like a private citizen.

12. wildcard_seven

wildcard_seven New Member

I don't know. You guys have some great memories. I don't have too many. Some vague ones from the depression era. I miss things being built to last. Things really had a sense of utility and sturdiness. I like the trusty and sturdy objects of yesteryear more than the stylish and feature-packed things we are surrounded with now.

I might remember a tiny tiny bit about tribal life. Like Native American-y times. I might be absolutely fantasizing, but sometimes it seems like I was living in Avatar. Everything close and natural and in tune with the rhythm of life. If that was really true, than I guess I miss that....and if it was true I probably repress it so hard because it's too depressing to think about that time being lost.

13. Cryscat

Cryscat Senior Member

I miss that beautiful inlaid Egyptian chair that I had in way back in that life in Ancient Egypt. It was so beautiful and well made. I also would be happier if about a half the population of Los Angeles County left....too many people.

BUT: I love technology, love the internet. The internet is what makes it possible to find out that you're really not crazy, other people have experienced something similar. The validation that would not be possible any other way.

#G^H

14. Owl

Owl Super-alt Mitglied

I miss Europe, I miss my country, I miss my town. I miss seeing my town with no cars. Somebody showed me a picture of the town in the 30's, how wonderful it looked WITH NO CARS, i hate that in every picture now it's full of cars. I also had a postcard of it from 1918 for a long time as my wallpaper, green, as it feels right, with lots of green... not with tons of cars, ugh.

I miss having hopes for a greater future, people believing in the future, working together for a greater good. One person told me (in this life) that back then, when the crisis was bad, people didn't mind working 2 extra hours for free everyday "It's for the country" they said. And THAT's the spirit. Now everyone is so materialistic, everything is for the money, i hate that...

From even earlier lives, i miss how a lot of parts of the world were unexplored, there were still so many misteries, so many new places to visit.

I miss ships travel long distances by ship, and that being the only way possible. Now if you want to go to Europe by boat you gotta take a cruise. I don't want a snobby cruise ship! i want an inmigrant ship!

Those times are long gone though, I guess i´ ve been missing these things for a long time, even before i died last time...