• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

What gives us consciousness as souls?

Kristopher

Senior Registered
Hardcore skeptics argue that we live and die, end of story. Obviously they say the brain is what gives us consciousness. When that dies, so do we.

Now looking at it from our point of view, what is it that give us consciousness as souls? I know we as souls are energy but there must be something more to it. Everything is energy but that doesn't mean that everything is alive in the same manner as we are.

One could say that the brain is but a sensory organ for the universe to experience itself subjectively.

"What was it like to wake up after having never gone to sleep? That was when you were born."

To me we, or our souls, are always conscious of everything that is occurring around us and where ever we place our attention. As humans we are physically conscious of what our five senses give us...but our souls are collecting information about everything that occurs in and around us whether we have noticed it or not. In my opinion we are totally imbued with consciousness and awareness by our all powerful soul...without it we are a bag of meat and bone.

Kristopher said:
Now looking at it from our point of view, what is it that give us consciousness as souls? I know we as souls are energy but there must be something more to it.
While studying Buddhism some years ago, I was disturbed by certain teachings that suggested the best way to achieve nirvana was through the complete dissolution of ego. What? Loose my identity? All that I worked for and invested in to make myself unique? Of course, I've discovered, since, that the identity of our consciousness remains unique, but that it does merge to a certain degree with like minds as our souls (our consciousness) evolve. It is believed by some that the eventual result of soul evolution is that many individual soul identities become part of one powerful entity in much the same way as millions of biological cells come together to form our physical bodies. While getting rid of our ego may be a good thing, after all, it doesn't mean loosing our identity; and finding ourselves in communion with like minds, who accept us unconditionally would be as close to heaven as we can get.

Yes, everything is energy according to Quantum theorists. Yet, we find it hard to believe that energy may be alive and conscious. Energy, as we conceive it in everyday applications, is something homogeneous like fire, electricity or sunlight. It is not commonly viewed as being alive as we are. However, energy is actually something that is self-organizing, which can be witnessed in all things including the universe, the geology of the earth, the chemistry of our world, and in our own consciousness. Although it is true that energy is not alive in the same manner as we are, it is nonetheless alive according to many theorists. The double slit experiment, used to demonstrate Quantum Mechanics, shows evidence that particles of light may even show signs of consciousness of a sort. Therefore, it may be quite possible that all things are alive and conscious at some level.

As for the skeptical belief that the brain is the source of consciousness, many scientists have provided ample evidence that the brain is merely a physical instrument, like a television or radio, which receives and transmits non-radio signals. And, like a television or radio, we know that what we see and hear does not originate within those machines. We know this because we have been told by the originators of the programs that the shows were produced in London, L.A., Seattle or Indonesia. We recognize familiar faces that we know live somewhere else than inside the 31 inch frame that sits upon our chest of drawers. Cut the power to our TV, and the images cease to exist. However, when we cut all power to the human brain, and we will discover that some people are able to remember seeing, hearing and feeling emotions outside of their bodies. Not only that, but they can report accurate information about things they could not have physically witnessed.

Nighttrain: I think there will never be a dissolution of self, but we could find out that we are in fact "I"; one self that spans the universe.

This destruction of ego is very pervasive in most religious text that promote life after death and reincarnation for some reason. Perhaps the problem is that when people think of ego they tend to think of the selfish ego, when what we should be talking about is "the self".

Nighttrain,

I agree too about the Buddhist teachings. The goal of dogma in many forms seems to be to refine ones self to get out of this world one way or the other.

I dont care for the implications that the ego and free will need to be over ridden somehow. I don't think it's wrong to want to come back, especially if you feel that you have a purpose here.

But staying on topic, I believe that consciousness is not of this dimension; in that it's an expression in this dimension of an extra dimensional force or energy. Much like how gravity is thought of being a 3rd dimensional expression of a 4th dimensional force.

Much like how I don't think that gravitons will ever be found, I don't think it's possible to create conciseness. We will never have a trully conscious artificial intelligence or be able to make a Frankenstein's monster in that sense.

What is our brain?

Maybe our brains are like a "Flash Drive". We store our life experiences in our flash drive. When we are done (dead) we take the flash drive with us to a different computer (another body), using the same flash drive as before, we make new memories, save it to the flash drive and move on to a new computer.

What's interesting is if you look at newborn animals, they know exactly what to do the second they are born. It is called "instinct" nobody knows what "instinct" really is. I believe animals recall their past lives the second they are born and know what do to survive because of their previous lives. Does this make any sense? :freak: lol

what is it that give us consciousness as souls..
To me....it's The Light. There is a good book titled Light Consciousness. I will look it up for you this weekend.

I believe that our soul is conscious being, that is to be, to exist independently of the flesh. I think that our soul is a form of energy, as it seems from ghost studies that the signature of a spirit can be recorded on calibrated instruments such as an emf meter, yet these results are always open to debate. I must say that I encountered a ghost once when I was working a graveyard shift at Hunts Foods. I was out beyond the railroad tracks at about 2 am when I saw this "ghost" see my written account http://www.mysteryportals.com/Ghost%20Story004.html

I mention this experience because she was spirit, a soul, full of vitality, seemingly very much alive, yet of course dead. This seems imo to give a clue to the attributes of a soul of spirit. She was able to appear for a short period of time in a form of expression identical to her former physical attributes, yet when she faded from view, all that remained was this odd glowing mist. I felt then and now that this was some form of actuated energy, emerging into our present time, then returning to some other plane of existence. This is only my interpretation of these events, ( to me an event because I was an eyewitness, to some a non-event because they would ascribe this as impossible ) I have to conclude from this that the soul somehow exists from an energy derived from an interdimensional source, perhaps this makes it possible for our souls to transcend time and space, to go beyond the limitations of our own time and space.

I think that might be the wrong question. It's kind of like asking what gives space its space, or what gives energy its energy. I believe that the universe is made of some very basic stuff that simply "is". Mass and energy, as two forms of the same thing, make up one the basic building blocks of the universe. Space and time make up the canvas upon which mass and energy manifest. These, too, are fundamental elements that can't be broken down into some kind of component parts. The third fundamental building block of the universe is consciousness. Like space, time, matter and energy, consciousness has always existed and always will. It's not "made out of" something else. It is itself the stuff that other things are made of.

Now I know theorists tell us that before the Big Bang there was no space and time, but I'm going to play devil's advocate and say that the evidence for the Big Bang is all circumstantial. And even it if did happen, in this universe, or in this corner of this universe, matter, energy, space, time, and consciousness have always been around, even before any so-called big bangs that might or might not have happened.

You can't create or destroy energy or matter, you can only change its form. You can't create or destroy time or space, and I'm not sure whether you can change the form of time and space or not. You can't create or destroy consciousness, you can only change its focus, its manifestation, or its form.

There is only one kind of consciousness, and it may be that there is only one consciousness. Period. We are all one because there is only one of us to begin with.

Anyway, that's my theory and I'm sticking to it. :)

" ...that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves."

-Bill Hicks-

I believe consciousness is an inner light and comes from our experiences and growth in many lifetimes, and even in this life. It's a core awareness, forgiveness, and compassion. It's an energy that cannot be destroyed, only changed, whether we decide to come back or not.

the buddhists say all sentient beings have consciousness

I believe consciousness is the Life Force, CHI, PRANA, etc etc - it is the part that comes from the Universe, God etc - it is the un-knowable part - the part we as humans will never be able to fully define

from wikipedia

Sentience is the ability to feel, perceive or be conscious, or to have subjective experiences. Eighteenth century philosophers used the concept to distinguish the ability to think ("reason") from the ability to feel ("sentience"). In modern western philosophy, sentience is the ability to have sensations or experiences (described by some thinkers as "qualia"). For Eastern philosophy, sentience is a metaphysical quality of all things that requires respect and care. The concept is central to the philosophy of animal rights, because sentience is necessary for the ability to suffer, which entails certain rights. In science fiction, non-human characters described as "sentient" typically have similar abilities, qualities and rights as human beings.

I have finished a book called The Source Field Investigations by David Wilcock. On page 166 of this work, Dr. John Lorber, an expert on hydrocephalus (water on the brain), describes a young student with an I.Q. of 126, nevertheless had a brain consisting of a one-millimeter thick layer against the inside of the skull. The student graduated with a first class honors degree in mathematics despite having virtually no brain. (!)

Back