What is your passion, and how did you find it?

Discussion in 'Members Lounge' started by Val, Aug 6, 2007.

1. rowan8

rowan8 Senior Registered

Oh wow, this is a great thread! :thumbsup:

My passion is: writing. I just love words. When I was much younger I would write short stories. But it's been a while, years even, since I last wrote something. And I feel like I have all these untold stories inside, just waiting to get out. It's like I have all this thread to weave something, but I just.... don't. :D I dunno.

Whenever I try to write, it's like there's something blocking me, something doesn't let me break through and move forward. I think this correlates with my journey into self-discovery and past lives. I know that this knowledge is there, just waiting for me, but somehow I just don't know how to unlock that door. At the same time I realize that I'm the one who's holding it shut!:confused:

2. Sunniva

Sunniva Administrator Emeritus

Wow, that's exactly how I feel, Rowan! I used to write all the time too, but now I never get past the first page. Something stops me and yet I feel I have so many stories to tell. I hope that someday I find out what is stopping me and get rid of it... :)

3. Clivia

Clivia Senior Registered

Hi rowan8 and Sunniva :)

have you tried autohypnosis? That's a good and safe way and often helps to unblock blockages - or at least find out why they are there

Clivia

4. rowan8

rowan8 Senior Registered

Hi Sunniva and Clivia!

Sunniva, I think that creativity flows from inside. The reason why we seem to be unable to ''create'' lately has to be inside too. Which is why I think Clivia's suggestion of autohypnosis is a pretty good one, except.....well,let me explain: this is actually a recurring topic with me.... :eek: , I've been posting about it for years, and I don't seem to have progressed at all:my biggest problem is fear. I am scared of what I might see, of what I might find if I search inside of me, and I think it's all related to past life experiences or actions.

I guess I'm afraid of pain. And I guess I'm afraid of looking at myself in the mirror,really seeing myself,who I am, what I've been. Which is maybe why I don't write anymore,seeing as everything that you create is a reflection of yourself....

5. Sunniva

True, Rowan. That is difficult. I must say though that it isn't so much the fear of what is inside me that I struggle with. I know exactly when my 'fear' of writing began.

When I was about 17 I had written a novel and send it to a publishing company. Much to my surprise it was accepted - they wanted to publish it and I had a meeting with the publisher, all was great, the story was good BUT the ending had to be rewritten (clicheƩ, but true), I had to research some things more in-depth and she ended off with what was to become my curse: the fact that I was young and had no experience with life ("If only you were 30 years older..." she said). But I was motivated, I went home and started the project. But I drowned in it because it wasn't *mine* anymore, but what *they* wanted me to write. I haven't been able to even write the shortest story since then. Tragic. *violins are whining in the background :laugh:*

Clivia, your advice is really not a bad idea at all. I can't think why I haven't thought of it before. Unfortunately I don't have any money at the moment, but I'll definitely look into that :thumbsup: Thanks!

6. Clivia

Clivia Senior Registered

Hi Rowan8:) it's absolutly ok to be afraid of pain - aren't we all ?

The advantage of self hypnosis or autohypnosis is - no matter if you use a tape, which you bought or create your own - that your subconscious takes ove control. You can tell yourself that you don't want to relive a situation but rather watch it - but than as I read it's this watching that scares you - so how about - if you can and feel for it - you go to a skilled regressionist and explain about your fears.

If this therapist is skilled s/he will understand and will have a gentle approach.

Sunniva - you have one advantage that you know where your blockage comes from - one step already towards healing:)

7. rowan8

rowan8 Senior Registered

Hi Clivia:

thanks! :) You've given me a good idea.

Sunniva: wow, you were going to be published at 17? you should most definitely try to break through what's blocking you, it sounds like you have a great talent. Good luck and please keep us posted about your progress, I'd love a happy ending to your story!:thumbsup:

8. lynxie

lynxie New Member

I have three passions: music, languanges, and writing.

I discovered my music passion when listening to a Vanessa Mae CD. (Vanessa Mae plays the electric violin.) She enchanted me with her performance of "Storm" by Vivaldi. I wanted to play the violin just as perfect as she could.

In the end I chose harp. I'm talented, but not very disciplined.

I sing as well, and I combine singing and writing by composing my own songs. I write lyrics and I sing them when I'm riding my bicycle.

I also write stories. I've written stories all my life, since I was about 2.5 years old; I guess I was born with the ability to.

I speak English with an English accent and I've got absolutely no idea where it comes from. I have a friend who lived in America for about a year when she was six and now speaks English with an Australian accent. She is the only one I know, next to a former English teacher of mine who has Scottish roots, who doesn't speak Flemish-sounding English either. It's really, really weird.

As for the target-in-life part, I'd say: if you were happy while doing things for other people, you can say you've had a good life. Everyone has been born with a purpose; maybe that was yours. You can be happy for having been helpful to all those people...

9. Sunniva

Thank you very much, Rowan hug3.gif That's very sweet of you. I also hope you will be able to write. Just give it time ;) Good luck to you too. Thanks again :eek:

10. lonewolf

lonewolf Senior Registered

Rowan, and Sunniva. Please don't give up on writing. I would suggest sitting down at the computer every evening and writing just anything that comes to mind--for yourself, don't show it to others. Don't worry about literary quality, don't worry about creating a coherent story, just write.

You may start with a dream you've had, and fantasize a little bit to change and expand it as you'd want it to go. Eventually, you may find yourself taking off. And write about what you know, what's powerful to you.

I often speak to children and school groups, and when they ask me I tell them the same thing . . . keep writing!

Lonewolf

11. rowan8

rowan8 Senior Registered

Thank you, Lonewolf. I've had this feeling, like this tingling, of wanting to write something, and have actually thought 'maybe I should write about this, or that....' but just never get around to it. You have given me a good idea, and I really should write. I miss doing it. :)

12. Sunniva

Thank you so much for your words, Lonewolf. You're very right and I really should do that. One of my problems are that the only stuff I have written for the past 3 1/2 years have been academic papers and it's really hard to - once you've got that 'language' under your skin - break out, which results in some utterly boring attempts at writing a good story :laugh:.

No, I will do it :D :thumbsup:

Rowan, I feel so good when I read your posts, because you describe the very same feelings that I have (the tingling, the desire to write) and I know I'm not alone. :eek:

13. lonewolf

lonewolf Senior Registered

OMG, I so know what you mean! Academic writing--spent a lot of time doing that--is the DEATH of creativity!

Somehow, some way, you must break out of that. It's hard, though!

Lonewolf