What Sport To Get Into

Discussion in 'Members Lounge' started by GalaxyDreamer90, Feb 15, 2019.

1. GalaxyDreamer90

GalaxyDreamer90 Senior Member

Its been suggested that I get into a sport because of how much energy i have. I want to get into a dance class but my parents dont seem all that excited about me getting into dance. I took a quiz online and it said i should do a triathlon because of how much energy i have, but i dont know of any triathlons coming up. Besides its still kind of cold outside here. Im not very coordinated and im overweight and not very strong but i am very energetic. What would be a good sport for me that i could get into right now.

2. TheDivineOne

TheDivineOne Should've been born a girl...

What do you like? That depends on what your interests are. Don't let your weight stop you. My advice for you would be to start dancing if that's what you really want to do, in which case I say go for it!

Speedwell and KenJ like this.
  3. GalaxyDreamer90

I dont really like sports that much. Its only been suggested i get into sports because i have so much energy.

4. Cryscat

Cryscat Senior Member

Why not try a dance class? I get that your parents don't seem to be liking that, but you did mention it.

5. GalaxyDreamer90

I suppose i could try a dance class even though my parents dont seem to crazy about it. I dont know why though. They know i have a lot of energy i need to get out.

6. baro-san

baro-san Senior Member

Sports are good for maintaining your body (functionality, composition, shape). They are also good for the brain (both sensing and motor functions). It's really true: use it or lose it!

Dance is nice, but it really isn't a sport, and it isn't an effective form of physical conditioning, excepting when acrobatic, on ice, in water, or such.

I'd recommend dumbbell and body weight workouts, stretches, and brisk walking. Also, high intensity interval training (HIIT) is in fashion, very effective, and time saving.

The "too high" energy may be caused of an incorrect diet, for example too much refined sugar and grains.

Also, energy should be used, not spent. Physical forms of energy can be transmuted into non-physical forms of energy (intellectual, creative, and such).

7. GalaxyDreamer90

I try doing creative stuff such as writing and drawing but sometimes its hard to focus on that kind of stuff because I have so much energy. I could try changing my diet and see if that helps some. I never really thought of creativity as a way to get energy out though but i guess since i dont have much interest in sports i could try getting it out that way instead.

8. baro-san

baro-san Senior Member

I'm not saying that writing and drawing consume energy (although it does, some). I'm talking about transmuting energy, and using the resulting intellectual energy.

9. GalaxyDreamer90

Im not sure how to do that. Any advice on how to do that.

10. baro-san

baro-san Senior Member

I suggest you look it up on the internet. There are various practitioners, Taoist monks for example. You can read a little, and find out if that is something you might be interested in, and try it. You don't have to subscribe to the whole philosophy, or any religious aspects. If it's meant to help you in this stage of your life it will cling to you. I hope you're aware that you have to be careful / circumspect with any advice you get from unknown people, with or without self professed credentials (my suggestions included).

11. Speedwell

Speedwell Senior Registered

Rather than sports as such, how about getting into something practical, such as cycling, hiking or maybe even rock-climbing. There are others to add to that list, the idea is not just expending energy for the sake of it, but instead, doing some activity where one of the side-effects is the use of energy, but that isn't the goal. Instead, the goal might be to travel somewhere interesting, or to see unknown sights, or explore unreached places.

12. GalaxyDreamer90

Im just not that into cycling, hiking, and rock climbing. Im just not that interested in sports despite having a lot of energy. I just dont know what to do. I have all this energy and no way to get it out. It doesnt help that sports just dont interest me that much.

13. Kenz1010

Kenz1010 Senior Registered

Why don’t you just work out? You don’t need a sport involved. You can do some cardio workouts, that could help get some of the energy out. And it’s just good, in general.

14. GalaxyDreamer90

I suppose i could work out more though i dont find working out that fun either. it would help me lose some weight and be healthier.

15. Kenz1010

Kenz1010 Senior Registered

I’d say either get into dance since you think you’d enjoy it (and I really don’t think it matters if your parents aren’t all that excited about you getting into dance, it’s not for them it’s for you) or just try some workouts and see how it turns out.

16. baro-san

baro-san Senior Member

Could you explain what you exactly mean by having much energy, being very energetic?

17. Speedwell

Speedwell Senior Registered

I guess I suggested those activities as I don't view them as sports. Of course they can be, people win medals for competing in (at least some of) them. But I was coming at it as more of a way of getting outdoors and appreciating the scenery, or visiting unusual places. Call it a form of sightseeing, or a way to approach say photography or painting for example. Or tourism, or nature study, or ...Whatever is your thing, I've mentioned some things which I can relate to, if they don't touch you, that's fine, but perhaps you could think of some ideas of your own, non-sporting ones, which you can find some way of combining with any form of physical activity.If you're not sure, maybe take an art class or something which definitely is not sport, and then take it from there.