What's the reason behind it all?

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by SeekerOfKnowledge, Jul 30, 2018.

1. SeekerOfKnowledge

SeekerOfKnowledge Learner

Actually, cats sometimes do this. Males even kill the pubs a female she got from a rival. It came as a shock when I learned about this, but I get your point and agree with you that humans are more cruel and capable of egoistical and destructive actions than any other species.

2. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

If you approach it from a purely rational, scientific basis you'll get nowhere Cyrus. I know. I've tried. I'm not the only individual to experience love as a binding force. It's another realm beyond science. Your examining the goldfish bowl in which you live without realising there's a whole other world outside it. You will get nowhere doing that.

3. AlexD

AlexD aka Shadow

True, my black cat once did this and I was really upset when it happened. But it's just how cats are, it's part of the biology of their brain to somehow preserve their own DNA and get more chances of having an offspring. Just biology and insticts.

4. AlexD

AlexD aka Shadow

True, I do believe there are things that cannot be explained from a purely physical or biochemical point. True love is among these... it has very little to do with lust, blood bonds or convenient social relationships. Those are byproducts of our animalistic aspect, necessary to our survival. I believe we are supposed to evolve further than that.

5. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

I agree Alex. I've experienced true love and it went beyond earthbound ideas of what love is. It felt like I'd been touched by the divine. Some things are, at least currently, beyond science.

AlexD likes this.
  6. Speedwell

Speedwell Senior Registered

It's more of a problem than that. When you say, "our biological computer (brain) presents it to us", what is this "us"? Do you mean one part of the brain presents it to another part of the brain? That doesn't explain how the colour, or indeed anything at all, can be perceived.

AlexD and Jim78 like this.
  7. SeekerOfKnowledge

SeekerOfKnowledge Learner

True. Colors are interpretations of different wavelengths the brains makes, like sounds are interpretations of other wavelengths.
    Art or music can be very touching still, and somehow, it is the fact that it is all just but wavelengths you can describe with formulas which makes me see it as even more of a miracle.

Cyrus likes this.
  8. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

I agree Speedwell. Every time we have an inner dialogue who exactly are we talking to? This is one of the reasons I believe we are spiritual beings on a human journey. The 'us' that perceives takes input from the world and our minds....like a constant observer. Reincarnation indicates the physical body and brain are merely the vehicle to a spiritual passenger.

AlexD and Speedwell like this.
  9. Cyrus

Cyrus Active Member

Exactly.

And how else could you enjoy your favourite symphony if not through a material body your soul is incarnated into?
    One of the reasons you were asking for in your initial (topic starter) question.

SeekerOfKnowledge likes this.
  10. Cyrus

Cyrus Active Member

Why?

One part of the brain can perfectly communicate with its other parts and exchange information with them - thats how it functions.

11. Cyrus

Cyrus Active Member

Then what would happen to a body with no soul incarnated into it? Will it possess an "ego" (or "us", if you prefer)?

12. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

Compare it to a suit Cyrus. It doesn't take life until you wear it. The real question is can a body survive without a soul?

Without a soul a body would be somnambulant. The lights are on but no ones home. It would be meat.

13. BrokenAgate

BrokenAgate Member

I was just wondering this, myself, last night. I mean, if our purpose is to constantly be learning new lessons, or repeating the old ones until we get them right, then obviously there is some kind of goal towards which we are working. When you go to school, the goal is to prepare you, socially and intellectually, for life in the grown-up world so you can get a job, get married, raise a family, go to college, blah-blah-blah, and hopefully contribute something reasonably useful to the lives of people you meet and not be a jerk to everyone. So what's the goal of reincarnation? What is this school of life preparing us FOR? Some say it is simply to become one with God, or the universal energy, or whatever you call it, so you just float around as part of a Borg-like collective, happy forevermore. There might be a more boring fate in existence somewhere, but if so, it's hard to imagine what it would be. Watching reruns of "Friends" for eternity, maybe.

One thing about reincarnation that always made sense to me, even before I actually believed it was possible, is that it's a lot like everything else in nature. Everything is recycled, right? A tree dies and falls down, and it rots and creates fertile soil for other organisms to grow. An animal dies to feed another animal that gives birth to offspring, so the energy of the animal that was eaten doesn't really disappear, it just takes another form. And the bones become food for beetles, ants, etc. Snow melts into rushing water that feeds into a river that keeps fishes, water birds, and plants alive. Salmon travel up a river to spawn, lay their eggs, and then die, and their bodies become food for scavengers. And so on. So, if we have a soul, why wouldn't it be recycled, too? Maybe that's the only point. We're just energy that will be endlessly recycled, like rotting leaves and animal carcasses, for all of eternity, and maybe that's the only lesson. Which sounds fatalistic, cynical, and depressing, but at least we'd be DOING things. And if we are allowed to make choices (the children in Carol's book seemed to indicate that this is the case), then maybe we can choose exciting lives if we want to. Do we get better at making choices as we go along? Like, "Man, that life was TOTALLY a drag, I died of dysentery in Sudan! SO not doing that again. I'm going to be a space adventurer next time around."

fireflydancing likes this.
  14. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

My life experience tells me that my higher self, guides, God, whoever designed my life tailored it specifically to my needs...not to my desires. Like the song says 'you can't always get what you want'...but in my experience I've gotten what I needed. Intelligence is at work here too, its also a property of creation. We are evolving in my opinion, not simply being recycled BrokenAgate.

15. Cyrus

Cyrus Active Member

The apes do not look too somnambulant to me, when I watch them on TV.

By-the-by, by what means are immaterial souls coupled to their material bodies?

If an old friend of mine, currently not incarnated, acts as a kind of my Angelo Custode (Guardian Angel), can he touch me? Or, can he just "push" a little that blood clot in my vein, to save me from a heart attack?

16. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

I doubt having a soul is the sole preserve of humanity Cyrus. If man reincarnates why not apes?

The means by which souls are coupled to their bodies is unknown Cyrus and you know that. I've heard stories of souls being tethered to bodies but if your asking for a scientific explanation you won't get one. Man hasn't even discovered the existence of souls yet.

17. Cyrus

Cyrus Active Member

No, I don't.

That's why I was asking you, Jim78, if an unincarnated soul here on Earth can interact mechanically or in some other way with material objects.

18. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

I've had some experience of the disincarnate affecting electrical appliances and such Cyrus so I would have to say yes, they can interact. As to why they don't do it more often your guess is as good as mine.

19. Cyrus

Cyrus Active Member

Thanks for your answer, Jim78.

Jim78 likes this.
  20. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

That's cool Cyrus.