When do we stop reincarnating (for good)?

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by 2017account, Jul 13, 2017.

1. 2017account

2017account New Member

As in, does anyone here on this forum know they are on their last life? I read this book a year ago saying mostly everyone is on their last life. Is there any factors to indicate this? I would maybe like for more soul growth if I haven't, but at times I cannot stand this world.

How about you guys?

2. fireflydancing

fireflydancing Registered

Hi 2017account,
    Your question is a difficult one to answer because we will answer according to our belief system.
    Some people have seen flashes of future lives, but most of us have not.
    I am about to leave this planet (according to my dreams) but.... time is irrelevant... so maybe it will take some lives extra... maybe I will change my mind... who knows.... I don't.

2017account likes this.
  3. 2017account

2017account New Member

Future lives? Your serious? Is it more futuristic or? Is there a specific time period in your mind? Good to see your close to the end. :) Anyways, I do understand about the whole extra lives and all.

4. baro-san

baro-san Active Member

To ponder when we'll stop incarnating we have to know why we are incarnating. My belief is that we incarnate with two purposes:
    - to develop our reasoning capability
    - to learn to master our emotions (without this our emotions spiral out of control in non-physical, which is a thought responsive environment).

When souls begin to incarnate, they have only rudimentary reasoning, and are dominate by emotions (fear, etc.). There are continuously new souls that incarnate as humans, and souls develop at different speeds.

Where and how we incarnate, and what's happening during each of our lives is determined mostly by the lessons we have to learn, and what we need to experience, as result of the karma we've accumulated.

Based on the above beliefs it doesn't seem likely that "mostly everyone is on their last life".

And yes, "this will be my last incarnation". :)

2017account likes this.
  5. 2017account

2017account New Member

Oh, great. So, I get what you're saying about developing at different speeds. New souls? I've read a few saying that everyone has some sort of past life. But, that's good to hear you know you;ll be out of here.

6. Native Son

Native Son Member

No matter what anyone here, or elsewhere, will tell you, I believe that no one knows this very point you raised, although it has been raised in the past, even centuries ago it was obviously a pertinent question, in regards to reincarnation. In fact, Plato wrote about this very point, reflecting, we suppose, Socrates' view on it. In the Phaedrus dialogue, Plato gives a hint and addresses this very point as to the soul ending its reincarnation cycles. However, this point of limiting reincarnation cycles is based on the assumption that this physical world we incarnate in is not our ideal and it also assumes that it is somewhat of a disadvantage and a sort of admonition. So it seems from this perspective of this one dialogue, although reincarnation is addressed as somewhat a necessary and a natural occurring phenomenon for the soul in some of the others. Here is a little excerpt of the Phaedrus, as to when a soul may terminate reincarnation, and how to achieve it, presumably.

........................................................The divine is beauty, wisdom, goodness,
    and the like; and by these the wing of the soul is nourished, and grows apace;
    but when fed upon evil and foulness and the opposite of good, wastes and falls
    away. Zeus, the mighty lord, holding the reins of a winged chariot, leads the
    way in heaven, ordering all and taking care of all; and there follows him the
    array of gods and demi-gods, marshalled in eleven bands; Hestia alone abides
    at home in the house of heaven; of the rest they who are reckoned among the
    princely twelve march in their appointed order. They see many blessed sights in
    the inner heaven, and there are many ways to and fro, along which the blessed
    gods are passing, every one doing his own work; he may follow who will and can,
    for jealousy has no place in the celestial choir. But when they go to banquet
    and festival, then they move up the steep to the top of the vault of heaven. The
    chariots of the gods in even poise, obeying the rein, glide rapidly; but the others
    labour, for the vicious steed goes heavily, weighing down the charioteer to the
    earth when his steed has not been thoroughly trained:–and this is the hour of
    agony and extremest conflict for the soul. For the immortals, when they are
    at the end of their course, go forth and stand upon the outside of heaven, and
    the revolution of the spheres carries them round, and they behold the things
    beyond. But of the heaven which is above the heavens, what earthly poet ever
    did or ever will sing worthily? It is such as I will describe; for I must dare to
    speak the truth, when truth is my theme. There abides the very being with
    which true knowledge is concerned; the colourless, formless, intangible essence,
    visible only to mind, the pilot of the soul. The divine intelligence, being nurtured
    upon mind and pure knowledge, and the intelligence of every soul which
    is capable of receiving the food proper to it, rejoices at beholding reality, and
    once more gazing upon truth, is replenished and made glad, until the revolution
    of the worlds brings her round again to the same place. In the revolution
    she beholds justice, and temperance, and knowledge absolute, not in the form
    of generation or of relation, which men call existence, but knowledge absolute
    in existence absolute; and beholding the other true existences in like manner,
    and feasting upon them, she passes down into the interior of the heavens and
    returns home; and there the charioteer putting up his horses at the stall, gives
    them ambrosia to eat and nectar to drink. Such is the life of the gods; but of
    other souls, that which follows God best and is likest to him lifts the head of the
    charioteer into the outer world, and is carried round in the revolution, troubled
    indeed by the steeds, and with difficulty beholding true being; while another
    only rises and falls, and sees, and again fails to see by reason of the unruliness
    of the steeds. The rest of the souls are also longing after the upper world and
    they all follow, but not being strong enough they are carried round below the
    surface, plunging, treading on one another, each striving to be first; and there
    is confusion and perspiration and the extremity of effort; and many of them
    are lamed or have their wings broken through the ill- driving of the charioteers;
    and all of them after a fruitless toil, not having attained to the mysteries of
    true being, go away, and feed upon opinion. The reason why the souls exhibit
    this exceeding eagerness to behold the plain of truth is that pasturage is found
    there, which is suited to the highest part of the soul; and the wing on which
    the soul soars is nourished with this. And there is a law of Destiny, that the
    soul which attains any vision of truth in company with a god is preserved from
    harm until the next period, and if attaining always is always unharmed. But
    when she is unable to follow, and fails to behold the truth, and through some
    illhap sinks beneath the double load of forgetfulness and vice, and her wings
    fall from her and she drops to the ground, then the law ordains that this soul
    shall at her first birth pass, not into any other animal, but only into man; and
    the soul which has seen most of truth shall come to the birth as a philosopher,
    or artist, or some musical and loving nature; that which has seen truth in the
    second degree shall be some righteous king or warrior chief; the soul which is of
    the third class shall be a politician, or economist, or trader; the fourth shall be
    a lover of gymnastic toils, or a physician; the fifth shall lead the life of a prophet
    or hierophant; to the sixth the character of poet or some other imitative artist
    will be assigned; to the seventh the life of an artisan or husbandman; to the
    eighth that of a sophist or demagogue; to the ninth that of a tyrant–all these
    are states of probation, in which he who does righteously improves, and he who
    does unrighteously, deteriorates his lot. Ten thousand years must elapse before
    the soul of each one can return to the place from whence she came, for she
    cannot grow her wings in less; only the soul of a philosopher, guileless and true,
    or the soul of a lover, who is not devoid of philosophy, may acquire wings in
    the third of the recurring periods of a thousand years; he is distinguished from
    the ordinary good man who gains wings in three thousand years:–and they who
    choose this life three times in succession have wings given them, and go away at
    the end of three thousand years. But the others (The philosopher alone is not
    subject to judgment (krisis), for he has never lost the vision of truth.) receive
    judgment when they have completed their first life, and after the judgment they
    go, some of them to the houses of correction which are under the earth, and
    are punished; others to some place in heaven whither they are lightly borne by
    justice, and there they live in a manner worthy of the life which they led here
    when in the form of men. And at the end of the first thousand years the good
    souls and also the evil souls both come to draw lots and choose their second
    life, and they may take any which they please. The soul of a man may pass
    into the life of a beast, or from the beast return again into the man. But the
    soul which has never seen the truth will not pass into the human form. For
    a man must have intelligence of universals, and be able to proceed from the
    many particulars of sense to one conception of reason;–this is the recollection
    of those things which our soul once saw while following God–when regardless
    of that which we now call being she raised her head up towards the true being.
    And therefore the mind of the philosopher alone has wings; and this is just, for
    he is always, according to the measure of his abilities, clinging in recollection
    to those things in which God abides, and in beholding which He is what He is.
    And he who employs aright these memories is ever being initiated into perfect
    mysteries and alone becomes truly perfect. But, as he forgets earthly interests
    and is rapt in the divine, the vulgar deem him mad, and rebuke him; they do
    not see that he is inspired.

7. Virochana Asura

Virochana Asura New Member

“When do we stop reincarnating (for good)?”

The Upanishads answer this question by saying,

“When all the desires that dwell in the heart fall away, then the mortal becomes immortal and here attains Brahman.”

- Katha Upanishad 2.3.14 (et al Mundaka Upanishad 2.2.8 & Brihadaranyaka Upanishad 4.4.7)

To move to the next question, ‘when does that happen?’ The answer to that is that it is Divine Grace.

“The Great Wheel of Brahman in which all things abide and finally rest, the swan (the jiva) wanders about so long as it thinks the self is different from the controller. WHEN BLESSED BY HIM, the self attains immortality.”

- Svetaśvatara Upanishad 1.6

The reason for this is that human effort is, inherently, limited and a limited cause cannot produce an eternal effect such as Liberation from the cycle of rebirth (Katha Upanishad 1.2.10 & Chhandogya Upanishad 8.1.6).

8. amifriend

amifriend New Member

Hello 2017account,

> I read this book a year ago saying mostly everyone is on their last life.
    I am not sure if the book you read is about the same topic, but especially around the year 2012 I remember some people saying that there was an "ascension" where the earth's planetary dimension rises and many people finish their reincarnation.
    But I don't think it's true. As far as I read Michael Newton's book and a few other related books, I don't believe most people (souls) are at the same final reincarnation stage because:

- According to the Journey of Souls, the maturity of each soul is so diverse; some souls have been reincarnating for tens of thousands of years since the Stone Age, whereas some have experienced only a few reincarnations. Considering the purpose of reincarnation as in one of the previous answers, it's unlikely that souls at such different growth stages finish reincarnating altogether, unless the "grand rule of the game" totally gets changed.
    - According to the same book, a large percentage of people are still young (Level I or II) as souls, and non-reincarnating souls are far beyond this level, taking thousands of years at least.
    - In case most souls stop reincarnating because Earth becomes unsuitable for their learning for some reason, they may even reincarnate on other planets. Dr. Newton's books show some testimony for this kind of movement. (reincarnating on other planets is off-topic but I just referred to it as a possibility)

> How about you guys?
    According to a PL regression session I found I've been making the same basic mistake in interpersonal relationship since the 14th century o_O and that I was still such a young soul. I still have a lot to learn here, so I'll take the opportunity again if I'm given a chance :)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    2017account likes this.
  9. Richard St. Clair

Richard St. Clair New Member

Hi,

I'm a Jodo Shinshu Buddhist, which teaches about the final escape from the cycle of birth-and-death by taking faith in the great Amida Buddha. Buddhism's ultimate goal for all beings is for them to become fully enlightened (Buddhas). Buddhas do not reincarnate unless they have certain vows to return to physical life. For the most part, Buddhas do not reincarnate but help physically incarnated beings to work towards becoming enlightened too. So I am on my last incarnation, and when I die I'll become a Buddha! I'm interested in what others here have to say. - Rick

10. 2017account

2017account New Member

Cool, dude. :) I'm learning about Buddhism and other religions in my History class right now.

But, how do you know this is your last life? :p

11. 2017account

2017account New Member

Ah, I see what you mean. I thought non-reincarnating souls take longer to learn lessons than reincarnating on Earth or other planets.

I heard of the planet concept but, how is that possible? Is this taking in a different universe? I don't think we have proof for people living in other planets here :p

12. Richard St. Clair

Richard St. Clair New Member

I can't go into it here, since I've already been called out for "proselytizing". If you want to email me privately I will be happy to answer your question.

13. amifriend

amifriend New Member

Though not "proved" in a scientific way, there are a number of case studies of LBL regression sessions where the subjects referred to lives outside the Earth, according to Dr. Newton's books. It can either be in this universe or another universe, and the way we reincarnate in other planets is not always in some kind of animal form as we know.
    Besides Dr. Newton's books, there are also a few other books on reincarnation that illustrated such clients at regression, and some PL regressionists who I personally contacted also spoke of such cases.

I wouldn't go into details since lives outside the Earth is off topic here, but considering the number of stars and planets in this universe and learning about the basics of the multiverse theory, I came to think that such type of reincarnation is quite likely :)