Where Should I Live

Discussion in 'Members Lounge' started by GalaxyDreamer90, Apr 10, 2018.

1. GalaxyDreamer90

GalaxyDreamer90 Member

Next spring I will graduating from college. I feel like now is my time to explore the world and find my place in it. I'm originally from the state of Michigan but I dont want to move back there even though I have family there. For one I'm not very close to my family especially my cousins on my mom's side since most of them had kids at a young age and got in legal trouble. Second I know the economy is really bad in Michigan which isn't good for someone who wants to eventually get a good paying job to rent an apartment and then start a family of my own. I know I need to live somewhere with lots of nature and wildlife but not to the point where I am totally disconnected from the world. I cant imagine being without the latest technology. Where might be a good place for me to live.

2. KenJ

KenJ Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

GD90, you seem truly lost in many ways, almost as if you have just awakened after twenty-seven years and finding the world to be a strange place (which it truly is by the way). I usually hate stories about "back in my days" kind of thing, but I need to look back quite a distance to recall the point in my life where I encountered your questions and feelings. I'm torn about responding because your posts are mainly about things unrelated to the forum's purpose yet you seem genuinely in search of support.

First, I can't tell you physically where to live, not even how to live there once you get there, these are things that will sort themselves out in do time. It seems that the life-growth(?) periods are spreading out as the years go by as my parents went through that in their early teens, I went through it in my later teens, and you are doing it in your twenties. I can not think of anyone that I know had the answers at that point in their development - nor do I think it would have been a particularly good idea! The quote "If you meet the Buddha on the road kill him" comes to mind here for some reason; perhaps it is something that might help your understanding.

Second, I think that most people's paths wander throughout their lives, so a particular direction is not as important as just "starting" rather than awaiting the "right something" to happen. Sure, you need to have some basic directions in mind, basics like a good moral code, ethics, and a fairly good idea of what you want to be/do, but to think that your path will be a straight line is not likely to happen. Give yourself some slack here, maybe do some volunteer work to broaden your life-education if needed to get away from the formal "student" mindset that has been your reality for the past twenty-some years.

Your other posts speak of the feelings of being uncomfortably alone and disconnected, I do not know the cause of that in your life nor could I magically connect you to whatever you wanted to be connected with. My feelings are that you might find part of what you are looking for if you set aside your high-tech devices for awhile and spend some time with people/animals/plant-life on a more basic level. For employment - there are two main choices, something you really like, and something that pays really well. You will seldom find both qualities in the same occupation in the beginning. You can possibly make talent (liked) area profitable over time so that you can have both, or you can change your (less enjoyable) job in a way to make it more interesting/challenging so that you can eventually have both. But, chances are that you will get tired of your occupation as you evolve. If you are going to be self-employed, make sure you can deal with the paperwork and governing bodies. If you are going to work for someone else, learn what makes a good employee - chances are that you won't understand that until you have been an employer or boss yourself and has more to do with an work attitude that being a "yes" person.

My further thoughts about location is that all have their upside and downside, try out a couple of them and see what feels better. I'm not fond of either snow or creepy-crawls and I don't know of anywhere in the US that would be perfect for that simple request.

3. GalaxyDreamer90

GalaxyDreamer90 Member

I'm sorry for going off topic. And I guess I just got to get out in the world and find where I belong on my own after I graduate.

4. Mere Dreamer

Mere Dreamer Super Moderators Staff Member Super Moderator

I think you'll find it easier to know if you want to live somewhere if you actually spend some time in that place. Workaway connects you with places worldwide that allow you to trade your skills for the chance to live someplace new for a while. You could potentially switch between having a job to save up, then travelling to someplace new to experience it and meet new people. Look up Workaway online; it's perfect for young adults who are looking to find where they fit in the world. There is such a huge variety of opportunities out there, and certainly there is something to fit everyone. Another option would be to sign up with a social group that travels to help in various ways around the world.

5. KenJ

KenJ Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

I hate it when I get called away when I'm trying to write what I'm thinking, sorry. I meant to add that I wish you well in your journey!

6. Cryscat

Cryscat Senior Member

7. RedSunshine

RedSunshine Member

Nobody can tell you where to live, it really depends on you. list the top 3 or 5 places you want to live and then list the pros and cons. Choose whatever will make you happy