Which One Language Would You Choose And Why?

Discussion in 'Members Lounge' started by SundayAtDuskReturns, Jan 12, 2019.

1. SundayAtDuskReturns

SundayAtDuskReturns Active Member

I have the opportunity to get a lifetime Rosetta Stone language membership, and I can't decide what to get. I have no need to learn a language for any reasons other than I want to, and it's suppose to be helpful to middle-aged brains. :rolleyes: My past experience with learning a foreign language is dismal, to say the least. I took two years of Spanish in junior high and could neither enunciate it well nor understand it. In high school, I took two years of French and could easily enunciate it, plus rapidly repeat anything I heard, but had no idea what I or anyone else was saying. Other languages I briefly studied on my own were Italian, Japanese and German. I couldn't stick with anything, and even had a nightmare one night while studying German! Below I will post the available languages, and would love to know what one language others would choose and why. I'm particularly interested if you think the language you would choose has to do with a past life, or with your DNA if you have had a DNA test.

Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), Dutch, English (American), English (British), Filipino (Tagalog), French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Persian (Farsi), Polish. Portuguese (Brazil), Russian, Spanish (Latin America), Spanish (Spain), Swedish, Turkish, Vietnamese

P.S. Oh, they have English (British)! Even I could probably learn that, but would a lifetime membership be wasted on that for an American? I mean, how much English (British) could there be to learn? :)

tanker likes this.
  2. Ritter

Ritter Banned by Moderators

I would choose Russian. It is very useful when traveling in eastern and central Europe. Russian is a primary and secondary language in central and eastern Europe, whereas English dominates western Europe. I know German, Swedish/Danish/Norwegian and English. I know enough Russian to be polite and get around. French is only useful in countries that I do not want to go to and do not like (in the modern day, historically I love France, which is why I hate what she has become). German is very useful, but I love it because it is beautiful and clean more than for practicality. German is my favorite language by far.

I will not supply the exact percentages with decimals on my DNA test, because that would be as good as a fingerprint in identification and localization. I am almost entirely Scandinavian with a low percentage of Finnish and trace amounts of Baltic (meaning lithuanian/latvian). All from around the gulf of Bothnia (the baltic sea). 100% northern European.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  3. CanSol

CanSol Senior Registered

Agreed, Russian is a very usefull language
    I'm fluent in English, Dutch, German
    My Russian is rusty but functionable and my Lakota is unfortunately barely there and (re)learning any language after my TBI proofs pretty much impossible
    Rosetta Stone has a bad rep in the Lakota community because the language is thought completely wrong and would be useless if you try to speak it to anyone that even recognizes the language like myself

4. SundayAtDuskReturns

I'm afraid Russian is a language I would never even consider, even if I thought I could enunciate and read it, which I'm pretty sure I could not. I admire those of you who have learned many language. I admire anyone who is fluent in two languages! It's interesting what you said about German, Ritter. Last night after starting this thread, I did some demos at the Rosetta Stone site, plus watched some YouTube videos posted by Rosetta Stone users, and only one language that I am considering actually appealed to me. It was German and that was very surprising, since German was way down on my list of languages. Maybe my Germanic Europe DNA has caught up with me and is calling me home. o_O Too bad Yiddish isn't one of the languages being offered.

CanSol, I know little about Rosetta Stone, and know no one who has learned a language using it. If I actually learn a foreign language using it, though, I would then consider it to be nothing but a totally astounding language program! ;)

5. glia21

glia21 Senior Registered

If it was on me I would choose french, manadarin or hebrew. :)
    I had four years of spanish at school but was never good at it and still hardly unterstand people speaking it. Reading is lot easier. As an adult I tried to learn french and russian too but didnt succeed though I still feel drawn to french - beautiful language!
    Whereas russian sounded terrible to my ears, I couldn't make myself go on with it and let it be pretty fast.
    My son had hebrew (ivrit) at school, that would be an interesting choice. :cool:

So anyway, guess german is alright too. ;) same language family as english.

6. tanker

tanker Senior Registered

I'd choose German, as it was my PL language and it seems ridiculous that I can't speak much of it now. I speak French and English.
    I doubt if anyone who'd been in Stalingrad would remotely want to study Russian.

inhaltslos likes this.
  7. SundayAtDuskReturns

I intensely disliked Spanish, even though I really wanted to learn it. "R" r:eek:lling was a big problem for me. Mandarin and Hebrew are interesting choices. They aren't on my list right now, though. Yiddish would highly interest me, but Hebrew does not for some reason, even though it has Hebrew words in it. It must be a past life thing--I'm looking for the old Jewish world. It's a type of German, though, too. I'm surprised I'm being drawn so much to German. The last time I briefly tried to learn it, I had a nightmare where a frightened woman shopkeeper kept loudly calling out a German word that I did not know. I wrote it down, as it sounded, as soon as I woke up, and the word was HELP! I think French Christmas carols are pretty, but never particularly feel that any language sounds "pretty", though. Yes, Russian is way too harsh!:mad:

tanker and glia21 like this.
  8. SundayAtDuskReturns

Touché.

tanker likes this.
  9. tanker

tanker Senior Registered

This is slightly off-topic, as it's more about what language we wouldn't want to study, but SundayAtDusk has suddenly reminded me about Spanish. I learned a certain amount of Spanish at school, and worked at it as we were having a family holiday in Spain when I was 14. Over there, I was attacked by a Spanish guy, and since then I've never spoken a word of it, nor would I ever want to go back to that country and listen to it. So this goes to show how closely language and experience are connected.

Ritter likes this.
  10. glia21

glia21 Senior Registered

Did some research on Yiddish - funny language. I just learned they use the hebrew alphabet which would make it a real challenge to learn it.
    • schweßter (dt. Schwester) – schweßter
    • tisch (dt. Tisch) – tischn; hebräischstämmig: jam (Meer) – jamen; slawischstämmig: kojsch (Korb) – kojschn
    • tog (dt. Tag) – teg;
    • gortn (dt. Garten) – gertner; hebräischstämmig: kol (Stimme) – keler; slawischstämmig: ßod (Obstgarten) – ßeder
    • schtekn (dt. Stecken) – schteknß oder mume (dt. Tante, Muhme) – mumeß; hebräischstämmig: chaje (dt. Tier) – chajeß;
    some of it sounds like german dialect spoken in austria or maybe bavaria or switzerland, some words are of hebrew or slaviv origin.
    The mennonites in ontario sound a little like that too.

tanker likes this.
  11. tanker

tanker Senior Registered

That's fascinating. Where did Yiddish originate?

12. Ritter

Ritter Banned by Moderators

I have a spanish past life. I think modern spanish sounds awful. Medieval (old) castilian sounds better. To me it sounds like when you compare some guttersnipe Brooklyn dialect to proper English, or something beautiful like the southern accent of Virginia. Old Castilian is a lofty language. Objectively, Spanish is alright as far as languages go, but it has declined somewhat. Much like the English language has degenerated and become simplified since the days of Chaucer or the King James Bible. I strongly prefer the older and more aristocratic paradigms, before the introduction of either Capitalism via the industrial revolution or the rebellion against it which saw the rise of a complete societal reformation based on mob rule and mediocrity on one hand and capitalists on the other, in a broken system of supposed opposites, instead of a system of a king supported by landed warrior aristocracy and the aristocracy by farmers. Simpler. And no consumerism. People are divorced from the land and few rise above their fellow man. The societies we live in has given rise to the decline of language, cultural expressions and everything we experience to be wanting in the modern world. Some say we have it so much better, but that is all because of technology. Most of our technological evolution took place in monarchies. The leaps and bounds come about because of individual geniuses who break stalemates and make new things possible. Such as the invention of the transistor or the ball bearing or the printing press.

I mean. This is ' just my opinion' and so on. Gods. This is part of what I absolutely hate. Relativism! Ignorance. Actual ignorance, not the parrot slogan 'social justice warriors' use as an ad hominem attack against everyone that disagrees with any and all egalitarian or communist ideas. I think all the evils of this world are rooted in egalitarianism and the dissolution of the castes. Everything has come down to a true playground level due to this proletarian adaptation and everything is inexorably heading towards a state of pure idiocracy.

It is because I remember past lives that this world is making me so damnedly mad, every single day. It is why I have withdrawn from it as much as possible. You know it is bad when the so-called 'opposition to the problem' is a vulgar New York showman and capitalist who is about as fickle as the weather.

Will the world ever be alright? Or will it just continue to get worse with every passing day? Gods above, I hope not.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    tanker likes this.
  13. tanker

tanker Senior Registered

I'm afraid from what I see it can only continue getting worse. Until we blow ourselves up, perhaps. Then at least something sensible might arise.

Ritter likes this.
  14. glia21

glia21 Senior Registered

Jews speak/ spoke it in europe, seems to be a thousand years old, the basic language thus kind of origin was middle high german.

tanker likes this.
  15. tanker

tanker Senior Registered

Thank you. So was this part of Indo-European languages?

16. glia21

glia21 Senior Registered

Yes part of the west germanic languages like english and german and dutch. Seems to be close to bavarian. The west germanic languages are a branch from the indo european languages.

tanker likes this.
  17. Carloloner

Carloloner Active Member

This is quite a tricky question for me to answer as there are a few languages i've studied a little of like French, German, Norwegian, well the Bokmal dialect and Russian. If i had to pick one of them to learn to fluency, i'd pick Russian. I do believe this is related to a past life as i feel a connection to this language :). If i could pick another, a native american language like Lakota or Navajo would be fun too :)

18. tanker

tanker Senior Registered

Well, you live and learn. Thanks for that.

glia21 likes this.
  19. Klaud

Klaud Senior Member

Personally, I'd go with Korean. It's not as useful as something like Mandarin, but it's such a beautiful language.

Based on what you said, it doesn't seem like Romance languages are really your thing. Maybe go with Russian or Arabic.

20. Cyrus

Cyrus Active Member

I have a question:

If my native language in my past life were, say, Italian, how could this fact be detected in my actual life (déjà vus, dreams, hobbies and so on)?

Thank you.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019