Why do we do this!!??!!

Discussion in 'Past Life Memories' started by SeaAndSky, Jul 30, 2015.

1. SeaAndSky

SeaAndSky Senior Registered

Hi Folks,

I'm actually asking why you are here, or digging and dredging for memories at all. I think some of you are pretty relaxed about it all, and find the process of regaining memories to be an interesting challenge with this board being a fun place to chat and share. I have no problem with that, but that may be one extreme of a spectrum. There is, at least for me, often a deeper need and hunger--almost an obsession sometimes. It can get pretty intense, but it can also die back. Things tend to run in cycles. At the moment its not too bad and I'm pretty well in the chat and share mode. I keep wondering if it will come roaring back at some point, and I will once again start finding myself with a hunger to know that almost amounts to desperation.

Not too long ago, Aleksei discussed using memory triggers to try to get more PL memories of a particular life, including SS attire. This is edgy, but I was more concerned about him being ostracized by others than I was about his need (and desire) to do this--IN THIS CONTEXT. In another context I might have been a good deal less understanding. I don't think some people "get it" when I speak this way, but some may.

When I first started getting some things that seemed to be PL memories and was led to the person who I believed I was, I became obsessed with finding out everything I could about her. I am not sure what this hunger is, this need to know, but in terms of external research, I went as far as I could without spending money--which I cannot really afford to do in terms of my family budget. This was a search for objective validation and information paralleling a simultaneous attempt to awaken interior awareness and memories with meditation.

Some stuff started coming up from the latter, and another possible PL (vaguely sensed) seemed to be looming in the mist. There was something very painful back there, maybe in both lives--something I was not prepared to deal with. I drew back, but at some point I think I will once again have to find a way to break the barrier and reclaim these lives and memories.

Why!? I think it is the feeling that I have lost a piece of myself, and maybe a good deal more than just one piece. It is a need to overcome an overpowering amnesia that seems very frustrating at times! I want to remember and know all of my lives, I want to know all of me. Who I have been all the way back and why! But that's just me. Sometimes this need get buried in the pressing needs of the moment and sometimes it may be just too plain painful to pursue, but I don't think I can get away from it.

What about you, why are you here and where would you put yourself on the "spectrum"?

Cordially,
    S&S

2. TedB

TedB Banned

Thanks for posting this - will comment soon!

3. Totoro

Totoro Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Your experiences S&S, are almost identical to my own. I was also driven by an unexplained force to recover what I had, for lack of a better phrase, forgotten to remember.

I think partly, I fell into the category of needing to heal. Finding out what I have been able to has allowed me to objectively draw lines from my past life issues to my current. A large part of that was also being able to see that my family members were also on their own paths.

4. SeaAndSky

Totoro,

I think you definitely touched on some points close to my heart and experience. This whole thing--life--is like waking up in the middle of a movie as one of the side characters, you find yourself involved in the plot of an ongoing story with very few clues to how you got to be the character you are with the traits that you have. One can follow the physical causation, but as I look at myself in terms of my parents, family and context in time, I find myself to be full of mysterious and unpredictable drives, feelings, and traits that seem to have nothing to do with any of the foregoing. Where the heck did all of this come from if not from prior lives? How will I ever be able to understand myself and my trajectory without knowing where and who I have been before? Likewise, as you point out, how can I really hope to understand others without these same insights into their "total" existence and experiences?

As noted, I feel like an amnesiac. A huge portion of my larger and continuing "life" seems to be missing and denied to me. Not just to me, but to everyone. Anyone who has raised children knows how individual and unpredictable they are. Yes, you can seek to mold them, but all you can really do is try to give them the right environment for growth and prune off a bit of the deadwood. (If you try to do too much pruning you're more likely to mar than improve). In any case, so much of their character seems to be inborn. You watch them grow and ask yourself, "Where did that come from?" It is an open question. We all have the quality of beings that have been molded by enumerable experiences we cannot recall. There is always what we can trace to current life experiences, but that always seems to be just a fraction of the total.

I think this life is a critical place in my development. I think it is the one where I begin to break through the wall. I also tend to think that those who have a lot of memories have gone through this experience in a PL, and that we all have to come to this place at some point. But maybe that's just me looking for explanations. Anyhow, it can be %^&* uncomfortable at times!

S&S

5. Aelfgyva

Aelfgyva Senior Member Staff Member

Is The Begining The End...?

Hello SeaAndSky,

I have thought about your post for a couple of days...

I did not go looking for memories, they found me. I have always felt, even as a child, that there was something...something like puzzle pieces missing, but I had no words for this feeling and when the memories came tumbling in, the puzzle (myself) seemed to be falling into place...I was becoming whole. This is not to say that those who have no memories are not whole...this is only my truth.

And then, it became very comforting looking for "myself" finding hard evidence of my past lives...it verified all of my feelings that we are more than just a body...that we continue! I have done many years of research... The more of myself I found, the less I needed to look, for whom should I look for? it was and is all me!

I have spontaneous memories and in my journal I have recorded ca. 13 different lives... but the memories that are the strongest from around 1070 correlate almost one to one with the themes of my life now.

I don't go looking anymore. It may sound sad, but there is really nothing to find that is not already there!

I wonder if most people who look for their past lives come to this stage...?

Thank you for your question!

6. TedB

TedB Banned

Hello SeaAndSky I've been wanting to reply for a bit, now I have the chance.

I am here because I have found that when you share your past life memories, and talk about them they seem to expand. People sometimes ask you things you never thought of, or other times pique interest. It can be the opposite of that spectrum too and people can upset you with certain responses but all in all communication helps. It gets you back in the mindset you had whilst living as your past identity. Regardless of the emotion surfacing, new memories or evedn feelings can often be triggered. I am wanting to recall my past because I feel recalling my past lives will bring me a step closer to enlightenment. Being aware of your past helps you to better develop your future. You begin to acknowledge and understand the Self more and more upon unveiling your true self, not just the current body you inhabit. Truth be said in my opinion, is that we are not our body, it is but a vessel. The car in which a person drives is not the person, it is only their vehicle. And when the car breaks down you can either repair it, or get a new one. Still, the driver is still the same regardless.

I believe deep within the subconscious mind we are all aware of the importance of recalling our past, hence the name obsession that can be obtained through the ordeal. The hunger grows, because once you become aware of rebirth and it's existence you are embark on a new journey. Rebirth is the precipice of knowledge of the Self. Attainment of your own true individuality is a springboard too greater understanding. I for instance know that I am not this body, nor the body before. In the same instance I am not this personality, nor a previous one. I am all that I have been. I am an amalgamation of all my lives lived.

Memory triggers are powerful, and I use them frequently. If I so desire to recall more from a certain memory then I will use a trigger. I will also use a trigger regardless of ostracization. I of course keep things on a down low, however my gain of knowledge has more importance than outside perceptions. I agree with you, some people just "don't get it". Sometimes the obsession carries you deep into your past, and I feel as long as you aren't harming anybody you have the right to act as you wish in my humble opinion.

I too understand the obsession. It is easy to fall to, yet why wouldn't it be? Think about what you are truly unveiling. It is proof that you have been here before. It is proof that the world, is not just black asnd white as many perceive it to be. I would like to go as far as owning iitems I used to own, or travelling to places I used to love live...but I'm not lucky enough to be able to act this all out.

Amnesia. I see that as a good way to think of forgotten past life memories. We simply have amnesia, and just as sufferers with that curse you are upset and overwhelmed by the fact that many facets of your existence have escaped your memory. In my opinion past life memory is something that should be of high importance.

Ted

7. Misty8723

Misty8723 Senior Registered

I have known since I was a child that I had past lives. Most of the time it was just nice to know it, and I had a curiosity about reincarnation in general. Read tons of books. Then a few years ago I got that obsessed feeling, I really really wanted to know who I was in that life that I remembered, or as much as I could know. I had no real idea how to go about it, couldn't find any regression therapists in this area, I was looking at google maps of houses in the area where I supposedly told my mother I had lived, but nothing came about. I wanted to find that house so I could look up the people who lived there. I was looking at census records for that area to see if I could find a family where the mother had died (because I used to tell my mother in this life I wanted to go home - to my husband and children).

Finally, I did try the Youtube self-regression tapes, and I did find a regression therapist in the area that I went to, and I did get memories of more than one life. But none that I was sure was the one I was looking for. I so wanted to see a house with the number visible so I could keep looking. No dice. For awhile I was so obsessed I was doing the Youtube videos several times a week.

Right now, I'm more in the interest and chat mode. Would I like to find out more, verify some of the memories as real, you bet I would! But I don't feel compelled about it.

The lives that I believe were mine I feel very possessive of - if that's a good way to put it. They are mine, it was me, good, bad, and indifferent. I think I learned some valuable lessons from some of them to carry into this life - and still struggling with others.

As to why I'm here, on this board? It's a place where I feel comfortable talking about something a lot of people think you are nuts to believe in. And I enjoy reading other people's stories.

8. SeaAndSky

Aelfgyva,

Thank you for your thoughts. Your current status does not sound "sad" to me, it is probably the place I aspire to be. I think that the level of the "need" to remember could well decrease when "enough" PL memory is achieved, I don't think I have to remember everything about my PLs any more than I need to remember everything about my current life. I know the general scope and sequence of my current life, this is what I need to know. If need be, I could probably recover the events of my current life almost day-by-day if I wanted to go into a course of regression for that purpose and pay the money.

But I do not have any sense of the general scope and sequence of my PLs, which would provide me with a much broader concept and idea of who I am, how I got here, and my overall course and direction. What I have now in terms of PLs (which is fractional at best) does not give me a sense of the overarching trajectory of my existence--where I have been and therefore how I got to where I am as well as where I might be going.

I think that those that have recovered that, though it perhaps only brings them to a larger mystery in trying to understand the data they have, can welcome such memories as they may recover by effort or spontaneously without feeling the tremendous pressure to breach the wall that lies between them and a more complete knowledge. I hope to achieve this state at some point. It seems to be the state from which most of the "rememberers" on this board operate.

Cordially,

S&S

9. SeaAndSky

Tedb:

Great stuff. You are right, what we are recovering is not just our past "lives", but a sense and understanding of who we are as an individuality/soul/spirit that transcends not only particular and limited embodiments, but the particular and limited personality that went with that embodiment. It is a way of trying to get in touch with our "permanent" (even if developing and unfolding) "Self". It is also a step outside of the idea that we are very limited creatures of time and space rather than continuing and immortal entities with a source and destiny that transcends our current comprehension, except perhaps in symbol and metaphor. So, our quest is a high and spiritual one as well as a personal one. Obsession, or at least a certain "drive" to know and expand our knowledge in this area is definitely not out of line, though there are always current responsibilities to keep in balance.

I do know, though, that there are times and seasons both in this particular life and perhaps in our manifold lives where this may be of greater or lesser importance to us, as other needs in terms of spiritual growth or material necessity take center stage. Plus, sometimes one reaches a stage where it is good just to rest in tranquility for a while. So, I can understand where other people are coming from on this as well.

Cordially,

S&S

10. SeaAndSky

Hi Misty,

I'm glad to hear about your experiences. I can't say like many have said that I have had ghosts or inklings of PL memories throughout my life, though I believed in them (at least theoretically) at a fairly youthful age. However, I think they are something I steadfastly repressed thereafter, and now I have a built in block that won't go away and seems to be augmented by some trauma that I don't want to face, though I don't quite know what it is. But I'm glad to hear that many have gone through periods where (like me) they really, really wanted to know and sought their best to do so. I'm also interested to hear about the overall experiences of others and how this need can wax and wane, sometimes being very strong and at other times being a mere whisper. I appreciate your added reason for being on this board of just wanting folks to talk to about this stuff that don't think you're crazy. I live a fairly secretive life in this regard, as my family is on a completely different track (partly of my making). So, this board is also a great outlet for me. I wish that I was also where Tedb is, where the questions and comments of others actually stimulated memory, but not yet!

Cordially,

S&S

BTW--I really liked and can identify with what you said here: "The lives that I believe were mine I feel very possessive of - if that's a good way to put it. They are mine, it was me, good, bad, and indifferent. I think I learned some valuable lessons from some of them to carry into this life - and still struggling with others." I think this will be me in due course, as I can already feel it in terms of the bits and pieces I have. I also can identify with something related that Tedb said, which also resonates: "I would like to go as far as owning iitems I used to own, or travelling to places I used to love live." Maybe someday!

11. TedB

TedB Banned

Well said!

12. Ocean

Ocean Registered

For me everything comes down to finding out who I really am, finding out about my true self. And that is not the person I am now or someone I was in a PL, but the immortal spirit being or soul. (Just like another member here has already said it well, but I see this post is unfortunately deleted now…) By discovering and understanding my PLs as a human being I get closer to full understanding of all the aspects of my true immortal self, as well as understanding the sense and lessons of all my experiences here on earth.

As a child I've already learned quite early about the concept of reincarnation. And it was the only spiritual concept that really made sense to me. I "just knew" it was true and funnily I have never questioned it again. As a child and teenager I wished to know about my PLs out of curiosity. I wondered where and when I might have lived. And I imagined how wonderful it would be to remember everything and to have all the wisdom my soul has in the spirit realm. But I had no memories of PLs as a child, and later I was too occupied with my current life to look for them.

Later, when my life had become more relaxed and stable, the memories came to me unexpected. I did not look for them. But remembering a PL was not as wonderful as I had imagined as a child. In fact I had remembered a PL that was unpleasant to live in those times and that was disturbing to remember now. Actually it was a shock and I had a hard time to deal with it. Then I realized that there is a good reason why we don't remember everything. But once I had remembered a little bit, I was obsessed to know everything. I wanted desperately to find out my PL identity, my name and the places where I have been. I needed to know what I did there and why. And I also wanted to find out about my true identity, my soul, and about the sense and meaning of my current life. So I spent a lot of time researching, I read books, visited places possibly connected to my PL, I tried regressions and healers.

Right now everything has calmed down and I am not so obsessed anymore like I was at the beginning. But every time I get a new memory from any PL, I still research a lot. I look if I can verify anything or if I can find out more. My memories are also often connected to strong emotions which can stay with me for hours or even days and weeks. I then always try to understand what I thought and felt in my PL, and why I did what I did. I look for similarities between this PL and my current life, I try to understand where my personality is still the same and where it changed. This just helps me to understand myself, my needs and attitudes in current life.

I also believe that as souls we choose the time and place where we are reborn, as well as our families. So understanding my PL helps me to understand why I am here where I am now and what my current life is all about.

This board here is a nice and safe place for me to chat and share with other people. It's fun and very interesting to read the PL stories of others. Writing down my own stuff is also good to clear my head again. So while I may appear quite relaxed about discovering my PLs at times, there is always a lot more behind it, a lot of pondering, dealing with emotions, researching and the spiritual search for my true self.

I am still curious about my PLs. But I also learned to be patient. Remembering is not always nice and pleasant. If I would remember everything about a PL at once, it would be too much to bear probably. So I think there is a good reason why I get only bits and bits one after the other.

I hope all of this makes sense. English is not my native language, by the way, which makes it a bit more difficult to express complex matters.

Thanks, S&S, for this interesting thread.

13. soulfreindly

soulfreindly Senior Registered

This is a good question to reflect on ..Something to think about for sure..

I have gone through times of being very pulled to knowing.. Not so anymore.My hunger to know I think came from how I came into this life. I dont think I had had past life memories until this one.

Suffice to say I had a twin sister who had died in my mothers womb.. When I had a near death experience age three she attached to me in spirit and I was always being pulled towards her energies..

This out of body pull made me super sensitive , plus my body was also weakened at that time due to environmental stressors leading to a build up of a chronic illness which broke when I was 25. . I felt I could not take a stand to tell my twin sister it is wrong for her to be so attached to me as I did not understand the nature of spirit.. My heart was always wandering to out of body energies Subconsciously I was aware but not consciously.. No one supported me in this awareness of my twin as a child nor of my near death experience , so I never got to knowing exactly what I was experiencing. This left me with a sense of something missing..

Also I have had a disease which lowers general energy alot.. For the past 40 years I had air hunger, lack of ability to eat , and lack of proper mobility and I was aware of the possibility of death . This made it so that I did try to find comfort that my spirit does continue and that my life even though seemingly without purpose was a nourishing dharma ..

MY illness made it so that any stress was very painful. This made fear very obvious . I wanted to make peace with fear so that it would not hurt me .

Through getting to know myself through my past lives I got more comfortable with spirit we all have and blamed myself less for my emotional tendencies...

I tried not to get too involved in the specifics of lives .. I did get stuck for several years trying to make peace by remembering details of a specific dark time . I am not sure if it was necessary and need to think more .

14. Gabryel

Gabryel Registered

For me, the answer to the question "Why" I'm here, was initially curiosity.

I found this forum by chance while I was searching for other people's experiences, thoughts, and beliefs about reincarnation.

I've always believed in reincarnation and I have a few memories of past lives, but I'd never been drawn to researching it deeper until recently.

From reading many of the threads, it seems I'm not as alone in my beliefs as I thought I was!

One thing I was very interested to read about here, was Simultaneous Incarnations. One analogy described it as 1000 people in a stadium viewing an event, or as one person in a 1000 different places at the same time viewing the event from many different perspectives.

This perspective resonates with my current thoughts and beliefs.

I don't often talk about my thoughts, theories, beliefs, and experiences, with many people. Partly because they either wouldn't understand or believe, but also partly, because although I'm developing spiritually, I'm still afraid that I'm telling others as some sort of Ego-trip... (such as... "Oh look how special I am because I've experienced xyz... etc"), and I don't want to do this.

So mostly, I continue my research in my usual quiet and peaceful way.

15. Gabryel

Gabryel Registered

But mostly, I think, I'm here because I'm still trying to discover more about myself in my current, past, and future life's.

16. John Tat

John Tat Senior Registered

Hi Sea and Sky

This is the first time I have read this thread. I believe one of the major reasons we are here is because we are not comfortable talking about this with our family's and friends. We would more than likely be misjudged about our motives mainly because they could not understand what is happening to us

There is a possibility we could allow it to consume us. There have been times I have had to stop myself from over doing things. In other words I have educated myself to recognize when the time has arrived to put the brakes on. I'm now very regimented in what I do. I meditate every night before going to sleep and I have known for a long time when my source wants to communicate with at other times . That's only once or twice a week

It may be good to ask yourself if you are obsessed with one particular past life or all of them. If it is mostly just one then that in my opinion could cause some of the problems you are experiencing. Its good to go with your feelings but you must be sensitive enough to recognize them. You should have different feelings about different things . For example I was in an antique shop last Christmas and there was a blue stained glass container there with a pattern in the glass and it had a glass top. It was around 150-200 years old and was obviously used for storing food items . I picked it because it looked really nice. When I did I knew I had not only seen a container like this before before but had actually handled one exactly the same. It was not the same container but it must have been one exactly the same. I know and recognize those types of feelings. I do not go on a great search of why, I just let it happen then move on

Do you have these feelings? I think there are some basic skills you must have. Ask yourself then find the skills you do have then utilize them in you search's

I sometimes get the feeling that your religious belief's could be blocking you. I hope that is not an offense to you but it may be a question you need to ask of yourself

A hurdle you may find hard to hurdle is.. no god can help you. It must come from the pure spiritual you that has occupied those past physical entities. My advise is just meditate with yourself the pure spiritual you. Do not force it. Just chat to yourself in time you will make contact. When you do you will know I promise you. It is my opinion it must all come from yourself the pure spiritual you It is also my opinion he wants and needs that contact so you the pure you can grow and learn

Regards

17. SeaAndSky

Ocean,

Great post! You said many, many things that I identify with. It's also clear from our choice of very similar identifiers--Ocean/SeaAndSky--that we must have a lot in common at some level. From my side, I think I have always been in love with the sea, though I seem to always have lived too far away in my adult life. In my best dreams, even when there are difficult elements, the small semitropical seaside town I knew in childhood forms the backdrop and seems to represent a level of . . . . I would say peace, but that's not exactly it. It represents perhaps what I want, as opposed to whatever disruptive element is invading my life. There may be a variety of reasons for my love of the ocean and seaside, but it seems to have been with me from a very early age. There is the special sense of the afternoon and evening when the sun is slanting across everything with a golden light and the palm fronds are rustling noisily in the sea breeze. There is a quiet exultant joy in just being alive there that I have found almost nowhere else. Likewise, the fantastic shapes and colors of clouds and sea in every season, mood and light! I love the bigness of it all, the incredible brightness and mass of cumulus clouds mounting up to the edge of heaven, and the gleam and glitter of sunlight stretching across breaking surf away to a distant horizon. How I miss it sometimes! I suppose we all live with something like that. But I am probably just waxing overly poetic. Everyone has something they long for, and I think that for most it is merely the closest they ever found to something beyond knowing in this world. In any case, thank you for your post.

Cordially,

S&S

PS--You inspired me to add a sea and cloud combo for my avatar.

18. SeaAndSky

Hi Soulfriendly,

I am sorry that the shadow of your twin and illness have lain across your life in this way. I am also, like you, wondering about the wisdom of seeking to uncover things and whether it is worth it. However, like forgotten childhood traumas that give birth to strange psychological symptoms and interfere with the flow of healthy living long after they were buried, it seems that the things that happened even before this lifetime cast a shadow across our existence. I feel haunted by something as well. It is perhaps what keeps driving me back to a search that seems blocked by my own determination not to know. Ancient pains somehow make themselves felt no matter how deeply they are buried. Ultimately, I think I must dig them up and deal with them--or be haunted again down through years and lifetimes yet to come.

Cordially,

S&S

19. SeaAndSky

Hi John,

Thanks for your post. I agree that there is a need for a place we can speak about these things, especially when we are not in a family environment conducive to these types of discussions--this is definitely an issue for me. I also appreciate your practical advice, especially about the need for balance in these matters. I don't know that I am overly blocked by any religious belief, though I am still struggling to define the exact boundaries of my faith. I have, however, come to the point where I am content that many things were incorrectly conveyed, with the chain of apostolic knowledge and wisdom probably being disrupted and broken during the period of the destruction of the Second Temple and the various persecutions, particularly the Neronic persecution. Consequently, I have come to believe that much was lost and the gap was then filled with distortions that did more to obscure than enlighten, especially after the time of Constantine. I do not question the motives of many involved in this, but the result is nonetheless one that requires careful pruning and exploration to recover the pristine teachings of Jesus Christ. However, though I have no doubt that it may be frustrating to you, I still consider him to be my Lord and my ultimate guide. This is just one of those things on which we will just have to agree to disagree, and move on with other things we can share.

Cordially,

S&S

20. John Tat

John Tat Senior Registered

Sea and Sky

I think you have mistook me. I'm not frustrated about your religious belief's, in fact I admire those who are strong with their religious belief's. All I was doing was basing things on my own experiences. I feel that if my belief in a god was greater than my belief in me.. the pure spiritual me then things would not work in the way they do for me... From my own experiences I believe that the flow between the physical and pure me must be pure and worthy. If I did believe in a god I would most likely have believed the pure spiritual me was god that had contacted me which would have restricted or even ended what had happened.. All I was trying to say was... if you did make contact with the pure spiritual you or anyone else who has strong religious belief's how would you know the difference?. in fact would you be able to know the difference? That is the handicap I was talking about. There is no doubt in my mind that many have missed a great opportunity by not knowing and/or understanding who has contacted them... God created man in his image, both physically and spiritually .. "The spirit of god and the spirit of man are the same".. He created us in his image..That is not what is understood in that symbolization in the bible. To be truly in contact with the pure spiritual you takes far more of everything you have and are both physically and spiritually than I have seen talked about on this forum

As I said in the beginning I have great admiration for those who are strong in their religious beliefs

regards

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2015