Why do we not remember our past lives?

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by TheDivineOne, Oct 26, 2017.

1. TheDivineOne

TheDivineOne Should've been born a girl...

I never understood this. Why are we so prone to losing our memories of our past live(s) yet remembering little bits of pieces of of said past live(s) in the current life? I fail to see the point of losing memory of past live(s) if that's the case. Then there's so much debate outside (and even on) this forum as to whether or not reincarnation exists, and there probably wouldn't be at least as much of it if reincarnation memories stuck.

In my next life, I really want to remember this life.

2. baro-san

baro-san Active Member

I asked, and this is what I got: memory, as we know it, doesn't exist in non-physical. Memory is a concept connected to time. As non-physical entities can focus instantaneously anywhere in "time" and "space," those don't exist as dimensions. In non-physical, they (we) don't need to remember, in the sense we remember things in the physical, because they (we) just instantly know by changing focus.

On the other hand, every perception leaves traces in subconscious, and if we, in physical, learn to access our subconscious, we can get a glimpse of those traces.

In a nutshell: we don't forget, we just never memorized anything as non-physical entities. The lack of access to our subconscious traces is caused by our improper education and training as human beings. It seems that ancient civilizations knew and did some things better than us.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    SoulSurfer and fireflydancing like this.
  3. fireflydancing

fireflydancing Registered

Yep. Did you get your information from your Higher Self? I once got exactly the same information. Sometimes, when I am in an altered state, I can do it too, using that focus. I don't want it in my life on a regular basis because it's too intense. And having memories and information on the forehand cuts off the interesting process of choice and free will. Making mistakes is not a sin but an interesting option. ;)

4. Huckleberry

Huckleberry New Member

I compare it to sleeping and awake. When awake I have difficulty remembering my dreams but sometimes when I dream I continue with previously dreams. For example I've been out of the military for years but sometimes when I dream I'm back in and I remember previous military dreams.

5. Cryscat

Cryscat Senior Member

I think that if your soul came into this life with all memories of past lives, it would be overwhelming and you would not be able to focus on this life. Its merciful really.

faye lorraine likes this.
  6. Cassie

Cassie Kemetic-Shintoic Pagan

It's a great mercy to not be able to remember the entirety of a past life, as Cryscat very expertly put.
    I have had four, that I know of, and the third one is the one I can recall almost in its entirety, even my thoughts and feelings.. friends loved, and enemies hated. Though it's all jumbled together with the 'me now' and the 'me now' is a completely different person, with a completely different mind.
    I'd like to further add to the points made by the others, that the more you recall the past, the more you become unable to live in the present.
    The past pollutes you as much as it heals, especially if it's a life you so desperately want to go back to, that you'd die tonight, if you though there was a chance of returning to it.

And another thing that inhibits memory, is the brand new mind you have today, and the society you've grown up in. Different minds can only hold so much of former ones, our brains now don't necessarily work the same way as our brains before. A more developed frontal lobe this time around, or a more creative or restrictive personality trait this time around, different priorities and opinions on things.

Coupled with the society you're raised into, were you raised in Ghana, Africa, where food would be short and lifespans more unpredictable, you would have less time to devote to remembering past lives, because of the constant fight to stay alive in the current one.
    However, born in the UK, with a roof over my head, food in my belly and no predators at my back, like many others I can afford the luxury of letting my mind wander to past lives, and other fanciful things.

It's circumstance, condition, time and awareness which either inhibit or allow the growth of the spiritual self and the memory of self.
    I hope this helps and I'm not just babbling.

7. TheDivineOne

TheDivineOne Should've been born a girl...

But i already can't and don't want to focus on this life now. I'm so busy looking forward to and wanting to be in my immediate next life that i don't care one way or the other for this life right now, really.

8. Cryscat

Cryscat Senior Member

Lack of focus for this life will come back and bite you in the backside.....TDO.

9. Cassie

Cassie Kemetic-Shintoic Pagan

I wanted to say something similar, but I changed my mind, it didn't come out very polite on paper.

10. Jim78

Jim78 Member

I remember enough of ( some? ) of my past lives to be traumatised by it. If I remembered everything I would probably be a basket case. I agree not remembering it all is a mercy. Since I started remembering my focus has been less on my current life and more on the totality of existence. I feel unfocused now in my current life but I do figure there must be a reason for me remembering some of it. I've certainly learned from it that's for sure.

11. baro-san

baro-san Active Member

If I may ask: what did you do to remember past lives? Past life regression? Dreaming? ...?

Also: did you find out what is the lesson you have to experience during this life?

12. Jim78

Jim78 Member

I had an eye opening encounter with members of my soul group that altered my moral compass. I was completely ignorant to reincarnation at the time. Afterwards I started having spontaneous flashbacks to past lives. They played out kind of like waking visions. I can't see any pattern to them, they seem to have come about when the synchronicities of my current life resonated with my past lives. I figure it's just karma...you reap what you sow. As soon as my eyes were opened to my behaviour I started remembering that I was always wrong about it in every incarnation that I can remember.

In my current life I unwittingly did evil to my love because I refused to stop fighting. I managed not to fight the big fight but I couldn't do it on a personal level because I loved her and I wanted to protect her. So my lesson in my current life is that combating evil creates evil. I never realised that before, I always thought that good must triumph over evil, I always believed in heroism and courage under fire. Now because of my past life memories all I see is a fool who repeatedly got himself and others killed in a persistant, vainglorious attempt to marshal chaos. I'd never realised I was playing God with chaos and I never realised it bit me in the rear every time. I thought staunchness in the face of opposition was being the best a man could be. I've been walking around these past few years feeling pretty stupid.

fireflydancing and KenJ like this.