• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Why do you believe in reincarnation?*

For as long as I can remember, I have always had this knowing that there were other times and places. Even as a child, I felt like I belonged in another place, another time. Having a Church of Christ background, I never mentioned this to anyone. I was always taught that Bible Scriptures were the sword to which a christian refutes philosophies like reincarnation, evolution and the like. I always kept my views to myself.

As an adult, I extricated myself from the church, because it felt like a lie to follow a religion I did not believe in. I began studying reincarnation more and more, which brought me here around nine years ago. My significant other believes in reincarnation, but none of my other family members do. I talk about it with him, but not with my family members. I generally don't talk about it with other people either (except here), as I'm very private with my spiritual beliefs.

Reincarnation just is.

tanguerra said:
I'm with Fiziwig here.
To me it's got nothing to do with God (however you conceive Her), or scripture, or theories that make sense. It is not a matter of 'belief' or 'non-belief'. I've just been like this ever since I was little, ever since I can remember, pretty much. Until I started going to school, I thought everyone was the same. Like Fiziwig, I did not realise it was 'weird', I thought it was normal.
If you'll forgive the unintended pun, I think we're all singing from the same hymn sheet essentially, which is to say, we all agree on this. Like you, I believed/known/whatever that I had been here before from a very young age, but it got drowned by the religious beliefs of my upbringing, and it was not until I'd tuned all of that out that I was able to reconcile with that earlier view.

Either way, I think it's certainly interesting how, from a (western) cultural perspective that religion can sometimes confuse one's intuition through dogma, causing some to try and adopt points of view that contradict what they actually know to be true within themselves.

After looking back on all the subsequent posts, pursuant to the question, "Why do you believe in reincarnation?"; I've come to consider yet another more fundamental reason to believe: Evolution.

Religion and philosophy may only be incidental to a more common underlying purpose which transcends an existence that is severely limited to no greater significance than one life per customer. I think that pursuing this subject has a profound effect upon anyone who is self-aware; because the concept enables us to live with greater purpose and with more courage, insight and understanding than would, otherwise, be possible.

If an argument can be made for us evolving into social and self-aware beings; I think it possible to go one step further toward our basic need to possess more significance as immortal beings.

-Nightrain

Nightrain, if there is a common, underlying purpose which transcends existence, how can religion or philosophy be left out?A common, underlying purpose which transcends existence naturally brings the question of religion into consideration. A common, underlying purpose implies all sorts of things related to religion, and philosophy.

sellingmysoul said:
Nightrain, if there is a common, underlying purpose which transcends existence, how can religion or philosophy be left out? A common, underlying purpose which transcends existence naturally brings the question of religion into consideration. A common, underlying purpose implies all sorts of things related to religion, and philosophy.
I agree that pursuits in religion and philosophy are of extreme importance, and their mutual history has been the primary focus of humankind throughout the ages.

It occurred to me, however, that there could still be a beginning spark of interest which may be motivated by our basic need to understand ourselves; and that religion and philosophy and all their many offshoots of scholarly study happen as more of a result than a cause for our interest in reincarnation.

I do believe, that anyone may initially be focused on the pursuit of reincarnation without the involvement of religion or philosophy. However, I agree wholeheartedly, that doing so would overlook our history, and therefore, our connection to religion and philosophy.

-Nightrain

“Every single particle in this universe is recycled and reused. If we have souls, then would they not follow the same principles? It is the logical conclusion.” EJM

amant said:
“Every single particle in this universe is recycled and reused. If we have souls then would they not follow the same principles? It is a logical conclusion.” EJM
Hi Amant! And, welcome to the forum.

It seems that a common expression among noteworthy scholars, seers, and, now, scientists is, "As above, so below.". And, now that so much of their attention is on the principles of Quantum Physics; they seem to all agree that not only every particle, but every level of every dimension all seem to share the same habit of recycling. Some liken the process to breathing in to refresh and out to purge. As above, so below.

It's reasonable, therefore, to assume that the soul does go through the same process. And as our universe continues to expand, our souls are going through repeated cycles to expand our knowledge. What exactly happens during this process, however, is not well understood, and is the focus for our study of reincarnation.

Good to have you aboard, Amant!

-Nightrain

Nightrain1 said:
It occurred to me, however, that there could still be a beginning spark of interest which may be motivated by our basic need to understand ourselves; and that religion and philosophy and all their many offshoots of scholarly study happen as more of a result than a cause for our interest in reincarnation.
I tend to agree Nightrain. I think most religions have grown out of an attempt to explain various spiritual experiences which are quite inherent in most 'self aware' individuals, not the least of which is the experience of past life memory. I don't believe it works the other way around - that is that reincarnation and other individual spiritual inklings should be shoe horned somehow into any of the established religions. Of course, reincarnation is already an intrinsic part of Buddhism and Hinduism and various others.

Speaking of reconciling past life memories with Christianity in childhood, I remember going to church (Church of England) when very small with my parents on various occasions (until I got big enough to successfully refuse) and thinking it was a lot of tommyrot (sorry no offense to others, but that's what I thought).

I liked the Bible stories and thought Jesus sounded like a terrific fellow and set a good example, and I liked the singing and quite enjoyed getting dressed up. But I just could not come to terms with all the 'forgive us our sins' and 'grant us this' and 'grant us that'. It all just seemed like rather childish superstition to me to be asking an imaginary 'father' in the sky for various individual favours. I have never really been able to overcome that initial impression. I should add, there are various things about Christianity that I do approve of such as the tradition of assisting the poor and the sick. The hospitals and charities and schools were great for example when things like that hardly existed throughout the 'Dark Ages' - I just don't 'swallow it all whole'.

I don't believe that this means that my life has no meaning or purpose or anything like that. I just don't believe in a micromanaging deity who will grant various favours if you perform certain ceremonies correctly. I obviously don't believe our ultimate goal is to get into heaven. I believe in all kinds of other things, but not that!

tanguerra said:
Speaking of reconciling past life memories with Christianity in childhood, I remember going to church (Church of England) when very small with my parents on various occasions (until I got big enough to successfully refuse) and thinking it was a lot of tommyrot (sorry no offense to others, but that's what I thought).

I liked the Bible stories and thought Jesus sounded like a terrific fellow and set a good example, and I liked the singing and quite enjoyed getting dressed up. But I just could not come to terms with all the 'forgive us our sins' and 'grant us this' and 'grant us that'. It all just seemed like rather childish superstition to me to be asking an imaginary 'father' in the sky for various individual favours. I have never really been able to overcome that initial impression. I should add, there are various things about Christianity that I do approve of such as the tradition of assisting the poor and the sick. The hospitals and charities and schools were great for example when things like that hardly existed throughout the 'Dark Ages' - I just don't 'swallow it all whole'.

I don't believe that this means that my life has no meaning or purpose or anything like that. I just don't believe in a micromanaging deity who will grant various favours if you perform certain ceremonies correctly. I obviously don't believe our ultimate goal is to get into heaven. I believe in all kinds of other things, but not that!
I completely agree with you. As I alluded to overpage, there was a lot of things, I never questioned while growing up because one was not "supposed" to, but nonetheless, the questions remained. And it wasn't until I got older, became disillusioned with christianity altogether and walked away from it that I started to think more deeply about the things I did question. One of the biggest christian myths, to my mind though is the concept of the "devil" which, doesn't exist (IMO), but that's a whole other topic...

That said, I do consider myself spiritual, a "free thinker" if you will, but not an adherent of any particular religion.

amant said:
“Every single particle in this universe is recycled and reused. If we have souls, then would they not follow the same principles? It is the logical conclusion.” EJM
Excellent quote. Also, the cycle of death and rebirth is a constant throughout nature, so it stands to reason it applies to us as souls as well. :)

I believe in reincarnation simply because it seems an innate part of me. I always have believed, as far back as I remember, and when I started questioning this, in an effort to fit in, my spiritual problems began, which would lead me down a long, hurt-filled road. I questioned something that is as basic to my being as atoms are to my physical structure. Reincarnation is more than just something I believe in. It seems there is something concerning reincarnation that I was meant to learn, and casting doubts on this, as I did at an early age, started a rock rolling, a rock that would prove to be as frustrating and bitter to me as Sisyphos' rock was to him.

Olá Chuva da Noite, ;)

I quite liked your name in Portuguese, and also your new haircut!!!! :D Suits you very nicely... :D

"Why do you believe in reincarnation?"; I've come to consider yet another more fundamental reason to believe: Evolution.
I really do believe that we have reached a stage in our human evolution in which the answers to some of our milenary questions are beginning to appear. The knowledge of reincarnation is an "opening of a seal". To believe in reincarnation is to also believe in the spiritual, and it is impossible to disassociate the spiritual from what already exists in the human spiritual experience, which almost inevitably includes all lines of major religions.

To me, the "religions" were inspired by major spiritual events and people, and "mediumnity" (intermediary contact between the spiritual and the physical, from which the term "medium" derives) is a fundamental aspect present in all of them, as well as with the intuitive knowledge that we all carry within us, and also the personal encounters with spiritual phenomenae...

There are some aspects of the religious life that I enjoy, namely participating in rituals on occasion. I think that from lifetime to lifetime we have all been religious people to some degree or another. It seems that human beings have always joined together to experience a feeling that there is a higher power than themselves. Whether the ritual is of an organized faith or is something that we just do spontaneously with each other is probably not important, but the act of joining together in a reverence for the Organizing Principle of creation does seem to be important across time. The underlying theme of mankind does seem to be one of joining together as one mind.

I have participated in a number of different rituals that pay honor to a Power that sustains us all and it has many times been a deeply moving experience. But I think that you have to take something of yourself to that experience and that is namely the reverence that we are all the same... forever. You have to leave self at the door and agree to be a part of the celebration or you just won't get it. It is a part of the human experience to come together like that, just like it is part of the human experience to come together as two lovers on a rainy night. It is the experience of participating together in ways that make us more than we were alone that is important. It is all about gathering experience in the physical while you can.

I feel that I have been fortunate to have learned to separate dogma from religious experience.

To me, religious experience is a joining with other like minded people in sharing something that is deeply profound. I have been to a ceremonial initiation in a secluded mountain canyon and found the bonfires, drumming and brotherhood to be a religious experience. I have sat in a beautiful cathedral and been in rapture with the choir and felt the oneness with the congregation and felt that I was having a religious experience.

I suppose a religious experience could be something that you can have alone, by yourself - but I tend to think of those events as a communion with the Creator.

I was happy to let go of the animosity that I held for organized religion. When I realized that the things that allow you to grow spiritually are love and compassion, then hatred for anybody or anything seemed like a weight to be dragged around - perhaps into the next incarnation and that would be a bummer!

I constantly have to seek the Oneness that I believe is our destiny because that isn't the natural inclination of human beings. We are very fortunate to see the reasons in our relationships, to see why things are like they are for us, to see that letting go of the base human emotions and seeking to be one with each other in love is the path we are destined to trod - some will walk this path sooner than others. I would rather walk that path in this lifetime than have to still learn that in a future incarnation.

I am not making a defense for religion (it doesn't need one) but rather a valid reason for living a religious life to those who approach it for the right reasons.

It seems there might be more clarity about the subject of Religion, if someone were to properly define what it is...and what it isn't. Some time back, when I was reading "Nostic Gospels" and other material relating to the groups which originally formed as a result of a very inspiring person with the name, Jesus. Much of that material made a case for what happens when a group of people come together for a particular topic. They say that a kind of communication is set up between heaven and earth, which has more power than if we were to meditate by ourselves. They also imply that there is a Gestalt that takes place where the whole equals more than the sum of its parts.

I'm fairly certain that the early Gnostic Christians had this in mind, when they assembled to go over some of the wisdom and mysteries that Jesus imparted to his followers. One of his teachings was that assembling together to discuss the mysteries was extremely valuable. "Where two or three have come together in my name, I am there among them." - Matthew 18:20. I'm not absolutely sure that Matthew wrote the actual words of Jesus; nor am I implying that I've suddenly become religious. But, rather, that it is possibly a psychic experience.

When one examines the etymology of the word "Religion", one begins to understand that it really is a word that formed with a practical purpose in mind. Here's a quotation for those who enjoy academic presentation:

"Religion is derived from the Latin religiō, the ultimate origins of which are obscure. One possibility is derivation from a reduplicated *le-ligare, an interpretation traced to Cicero connecting lego "read", i.e. re (again) + lego in the sense of "choose", "go over again" or "consider carefully". Modern scholars such as Tom Harpur and Joseph Campbell favor the derivation from ligare "bind, connect", probably from a prefixed re-ligare, i.e. re (again) + ligare or "

to reconnect

,"

So, strictly speaking, if a group of people wish to "reconnect" with Victor Hugo, they are having a "religious" meeting. As an interesting sidenote, there actually was a religion in Vietnam that was made up of Victor Hugo followers.

When one goes into a building that is made up of symbols and relics, marble statues and ornate designs; and everyone joins in to read and reconnect with someone's famous words; does one call it a church? In fact, what I just described is the Jefferson Memorial in Washington, D.C. I could have also described a Masonic Temple in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania or a World War II memorial in France.

So, what Stardis described was a real sensation of awe, reverence, and inspiration. I get the same feeling when visiting the Museum at West Point in New York State. One could call it a "religious" experience; and there is nothing wrong with that.

For some people it is a mystical experience, that enriches the soul and inspires the mind.

The only problem with any organization is that somewhere along the line, someone is put in charge, who will change things and destroy the purpose for which the organization was established. Instead of perpetuating the truth, the organization will sometimes become an instrument of control. And, because they are holding all the cards, plaques, honors, real estate and treasury; people are forced to "toe the line" and further enhance the holdings of the organization. Such has happened not only with religious organizations; but also fraternal organizations, governments, and professional groups.

Whenever we take issue with some things, it is difficult to separate them from their original intent. Sometimes, when people disagree about one's stand on a particular issue, it may be a result of words that merely require just a little more definition.

-Nightrain

To me, religious experience is a joining with other like minded people in sharing something that is deeply profound. I have been to a ceremonial initiation in a secluded mountain canyon and found the bonfires, drumming and brotherhood to be a religious experience. I have sat in a beautiful cathedral and been in rapture with the choir and felt the oneness with the congregation and felt that I was having a religious experience.
Same here, Stardis... :thumbsup: I was raised a Protestant, then studied at a Catholic school (both held bible classes) and then later in an African Candomblé in which I also found that the experience with the drums is indeed "mystical", just as the experience with Tibetan bells is also...

The "Re-Connection" is always with "The Source", whichever way one goes about it when in a true elevation of thoughts raised toward "The Divinity", that which is "Divine", and of a more elevated vibration than the one that we commonly encounter in our day to day physical/material lives... :thumbsup:

Back