Why Don't Most People Consciously Remember Past Lives?

Discussion in 'FAQ' started by fiziwig, Jun 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fiziwig

fiziwig moderator emeritus

There are a lot of different answers that have been proposed for this riddle. My own theory is that our memory works by association. We see or hear something that reminds us of something else in a continuous and unbroken chain of memories.

However, this process of memory association can be broken in a number of ways. For example, upon waking from a dream there is no continuity between the waking world and the dream world, and lacking that continuity, we find it hard to recall our dreams. But then we might see something later in the day that reminds us of something in the dream and that one associative link allows the whole dream to be recalled.

Traumatic events, physical or emotional, can also cause a break in the chain and cause memory loss. I imagine that death and rebirth are not only traumatic experiences, but also, like waking from a dream, cause the soul to suddenly find itself in an environment very different from the previous environment, and again the continuous chain of associations is broken. Even so, we may see or hear something that stirs a past-life memory, or we may reconnect the links via regression.

Another theory holds that as the soul becomes more advanced it is better prepared to deal constructively with past life memories, and so is granted more access to them.

2. Kelly

Kelly Administrator Emeritus

Book Excerpt

*Excerpt from Chapter 26: 'Questions and Answers About Past and Future Lives Hypnotherapy' - Past Lives, Future Lives by Bruce Goldberg.

3. Forum Staff

Forum Staff Senior Moderator Super Moderator

What's the Point of Reincarnating if Most People Can't Remember Their Past Lives

What's the Point of Reincarnating if Most People Can't Remember Their Past Lives?

From Kelly:

From Deborah:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2014
  4. fairchilde

fairchilde Listening...

My thoughts and what I’ve learned:

In life, I think that once we reach a certain psychological state, we are then able to consider the possibility that the One Mind (or God) uses all possibilities in order to actualize It’s nature, which is the Creative Principle. And I think that the activity (original desire) and continuum of Souls experiencing many individual lives is what created Time and Space.

Now, if being an individual is a manifested illusion of separation, created by the One Mind, it follows that memory would be challenged with each incarnation. And the degrees of loss of memory is determined by our individual evolution (karma).

The actuality of "forgetting" is vital. It is an intrinsic quality of the "laws" of evolution. But we can all remember. When headed in the direction of “Oneness,” the progression of individual evolution (karma) naturally allows for full recovery of all memories. This is true not only in recalling our personal lives, but also recalling the lives and history of all that exists. And this makes sense as it would be true that as we spend less time (focus) within a fixed identity and more time in our interconnectedness with everything, we would be automatically, even though sporadically perhaps, re-awaking inside the One mind. Here we have more and more unlimited access to all information of any kind.

Love,

Angie

5. ChrisR

ChrisR Administrator Staff Member Super Moderator

Updated FAQ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.