Why this life?

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Jim78, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

Hi briski.

The week before my father died he called us all into the room to speak to us individually.

He called me in. Straight away he said "You're a terrible disappointment to me. You had brains to burn and you didn't use them." I thought about all the people holding me back and manipulating things to keep me down. I thought about my then current fight for my old love and I thought how I considered myself a successful human being for surviving what I was going through. I said none of that to my father though. He wouldn't understand.

Two and a half years after his death I had a visitation dream from him. He said that what he had said to me was wrong.

What I'm saying is that what we or others consider our failures may be successes spiritually speaking and what we consider our successes may be our failures. I'm sure that if you have a life review it will only serve to mirror you back to yourself in all the ways unknown to you on this Earth. It can only be a good thing.

2. AlexD

AlexD aka Shadow

Hi Jim, this reminds me of what my deceased mother told my aunt months ago. My aunt was at the hospital semiconscious and she heard the voice of my past life mother talking to her. She told her to tell me that all I did in my current life was right, and that I mustn't feel like a failure because the circumstances hadn't allowed me to do anything more. Apparently the dead have a greater understanding than us, seeing the bigger picture when we only see our lives from our narrow perspective.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    briski, GreyReynard and Speedwell like this.
  3. Speedwell

Speedwell Senior Registered

Hi Briski, I can relate to what you say about having a difficult time and some failures. (I don't want to get side-tracked too much with my own experiences). But when it comes to the life review - if such a thing happens - from what I've heard, it isn't a matter of being judged, and in particular, the only person making any kind of assessments is the person whose life review it is. In effect we judge ourselves - apparently. There is usually some wiser and loving being there, and their role may be to support and comfort us, helping us to come to terms with our own view of ourselves. Not only that, but the guiding presence may also help us to see what was important and what didn't matter at all. Often our Earthly preoccupations, the way we view success and failure may be completely different to the way things are seen from that perspective. It's also possible that some of the difficulties, challenges and maybe even failures may be part of some sort of plan which we agreed to before embarking on this life.

I'm speculating a lot, of course, but those are the sorts of ideas I've picked up from looking at numerous accounts of Near-Death Experiences.

Jim78 and briski like this.
  4. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

Hi Alex.

Here is a clip from a Star Trek episode in which Picard was allowed to fix one mistake from the past, being stabbed. As a result his entire life was changed for the worse. Here Q confronts him about the choices he made after changing his past:

Failure is as much a learning tool as success.

AlexD likes this.
  5. baro-san

baro-san Senior Member

:) Guessing, faith, wishful thinking, rationalization, trust, acceptance,feeling, ... How would help those "tools" when driving through an unknown (partially hostile) city without a map, trying to get don't know where and why? Do we rely on luck and / or prayer? I wouldn't rely on the advice of the people I meet either, neither those smiling, nor those shouting at me.

It isn't a hopeless situation. From time to time, stop on the side of the road, turn your attention toward your inside, deeper and deeper, tap a higher knowledge source with a question, accept / or not the answer, and move on! In time, we might learn what to ask, and how to take the answers.

6. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

Guessing, faith, wishful thinking and rationalisation are not in my mind baro-san. I'm not a desperate soul needing to believe in something. What I've learned comes from my own experience. I've already learned that my successes in my past lives were failures in a spiritual sense and that my failure to stop evil in my current life was actually a success. I just expect a more complete picture of my life and how it affected myself and others when I die. Most members here seem to believe in the life between lives and I'm no exception. In my experience my father isn't gone, he just went somewhere else.

Your free to disagree of course but don't assume others experiences are wishful thinking.

Speedwell, briski and AlexD like this.
  7. baro-san

baro-san Senior Member

My post was a general comment / opinion. It wasn't directed to your situation, or beliefs. Sorry for this misunderstanding.

And, you're right: I don't share some of your beliefs, but because you opened a discussion about what you experienced and what you believe, I tried, honestly, to offer a helpful point of view. It's definitely better to rely on your own inner knowledge.

Bottom line, you'll reap what you sowed, so you should always do only what you think is right. :)

Jim78 and SeekerOfKnowledge like this.
  8. There and back again

There and back again Senior Member

It is always a catch 22 where even by trying to do the right thing with the right motives ends up causing problems, more or less I've have given up and learned to just walk away except in the little things. When it comes to society it may as well be safer to play with explosives than trying to help and people are horrendous that you can and try only to end up being tossed aside or even betrayed. There is no high ground left for anyone to take anymore other than to sit on the sidelines watching the circus that we're all living in today.

Seen your other post about what your dad had said and ouch may as well have cut your guts out on that one, been through some of the same myself and it hurts.

9. GreyReynard

GreyReynard Senior Member

I am going to start by saying I have greatly enjoyed reading this thread. Thank you for starting it Jim. Thank you to the other commenters for the thoughtful posts.

I think the lesson you have learned is important Jim and perhaps one of the most important ones we learn here on Earth. Your lesson is something I am learning this life too.

A simple fact I have come to grips with is that we cannot live without causing harm of some sort. Something has to die so that I may eat, plant or animal. Trees have died so that I may have shelter. In order for me to be in college and get my degrees, other people were deprived of that chance. If I was completely altruistic, I would have to sit down on a stone naked and starve to death. So in order to do some good I must do some bad.

I would say try to create as little suffering as possible. I would also say that you can protect those you love from others that would harm them or cause them pain. You just have to call it what it is, survival. I don’t think the higher power would begrudge you that any more than it would begrudge you what you had to do to get dinner.

I have had an interaction with something I felt was demonic or perhaps playing the part of a demonic being. I had a lucid dream in which I was cornered, alone, and defenseless. My dream was manipulated by this thing. He stood in front of me with two others. Instead of fighting, I looked down and I made a profession of faith and love between me and my creator and my belief that he would not let this being harm me. When I looked up, they were gone. I was truly surprised by this, but I learned a valuable lesson. I didn’t need to use violence to defeat evil. In fact I think my victory came because I chose not to take that path. Very similar lesson as yours, but I was allowed a less traumatic experience.

10. Sea Change

Sea Change Member

There is a fundamental misunderstanding that drives this thread.

11. KenJ

KenJ Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

What a wonderful experience Alex, I hope that the message was had more specifics so that your current path has not been "washed out".

Jim78 likes this.
  12. briski

briski Senior Registered

Everything right now surrounding my life feels like a failure. Even my health currently which at the moment still hasnt been sorted. Some of my symptoms are quite serious, maybe life threatening serious. One of the most bizzare problems im hoping i dont go out this way in this life. So far drs havent been able to help

13. AlexD

AlexD aka Shadow

It was about my current studies and career choices and it came as an answer to many doubts that I was having back then, and that sometimes I still have.

14. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

Hi There and back again.

What my father said to me really affected me. When he died I thought he was looking down at all the amazing things I did to fight evil. That gave me comfort. But since realising I was wrong I find my behaviour during that visitation dream to be very embarrassing.

I hadn't realised I was so wrong.

15. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

Hi GreyReynard.

Its true that life feeds on life but I have a gut feeling that God holds humanity more accountable for his actions that other 'lower' forms of life. We have the ability to make moral choices after all.

How far that morality goes or how deeply we must practise those principles I do not know. But having learned this lesson I find it's acting as a straight jacket in my ability to function as a normal human being.

I'm glad someone else has arrived at a similar lesson though. Personally though, I wish I hadn't gained knowledge of a couple of thousands years of warfare in the span of eight days to learn it. I wish I hadn't of hurt my old love.

I've been very wrong.

GreyReynard likes this.
  16. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

What's the fundamental misunderstanding Sea Change?

17. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

I'm sorry for your trouble briski and I'm delighted your curious about spiritual matters. I find myself that faith can be a powerful ally in this life, as clichéd as that may sound.

briski likes this.
  18. Sea Change

Sea Change Member

That karma is the result of actions taken in a 'previous' life. Neither exists, neither the concept of karma nor the idea of reincarnation from a purely mechanical POV. From a holistic POV.

19. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

That's you view on it Sea Change. I don't particularly have a view on time outside of the Earth realm...it seems to be meaningless.

All I do know is that I learned my lesson in 2015. I hadn't yet learned it in 1919. If I had I wouldn't have been involved in a war. I'm pretty sure there's a spiritual purpose to time passing. Whether lives are running parallel or not is irrelevant really. I've noticed a progression in my successive lives so there seems to be some meaning to the passing of the centuries on Earth.

20. baro-san

baro-san Senior Member

:) You write with absolute conviction in your beliefs. Others are as convinced of theirs too. All are right in their realities.

There is karma; not in the way some people believe, but there is karma.

There is reincarnation; differently than how some people believe to happen, bar there is reincarnation (you are on a reincarnation forum, so if you don't believe it why are you here, o spread the truth? No, thank you!).

"Holistic POV" sounds funny. It is meant to shut up those who have a different "POV", but it really means nothing ...

briski and Jim78 like this.