Why this life?

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Jim78, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

I understand but I can't relate to what you say landsend.

My father didn't show emotions either. He lost his leg in 1978 and was just angry when I was a kid. He mellowed a lot in later years though although neither of us acknowledged my being upset when I saw the death in him as he was dying. We were just like that really.

So the shoes on the other foot then?

2. landsend

landsend Senior Registered

Well, I wouldn't go as far to say that the shoe is on the other foot. I've gone through a lot of things my past self did, having my first kid early, having him abroad, family disapproval (marrying within a Catholic background), but my past self married for mostly convenience and circumstance. In this life I married some years after we had our child, and we married for love. There's love and understanding between me and my current life partner, something my past self never had. It's different in that way. In a lot of ways, my current life partner reflects to me how a husband and father should be. If the shoe was on the other foot, I would have married a man who was like my past life self, but the opposite can be said. Probably if anything again I'm the selfish one in the relationship, married to someone better than me -- I can say that was the case in my past selves life, too.

My father in this life also does not show emotions. I've never once seen him cry, he was very distant and still is a very distant person.

My lesson seems to be to focus less on the self, and more on others, how I can be of aid to them, help them, rather than helping my own cause. It's a difficult mission considering how I have inherited the self-centeredness (is that a word?) of my past self. But I like to think that having my kids, sticking around and trying to be a good parent is part of that lesson. Most days I think I fail miserably, but keep working toward it nevertheless.

Maybe part of that question: Why this life? Is trying to find out what your core values and lessons are in this life.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  3. There and back again

There and back again Senior Member

When it comes to gender this world is really warped and sick that neither side has it made as everyone suffers even in this day and age. To be male has often meant that you were a disposable utility and cannon fodder while women were treat just as horribly in other ways. We have to have hope that someday things will in general be ok where society isn't toxic and everyone can just get along without the usual mentalities towards each other. We really are primitive as a society in the grand scheme of things that issues continue to persist into the current age.

4. briski

briski Senior Registered

I feel that the western world has over done it now with trying to make sexes equal, you only got to look at what they have done to Dr who and what they are thinking of doing with James Bond. Imagine if they turned Tombraider into a male character, the uproar would be unbelievable, they should create shows with strong role models for both sexes not remove strong male role models and replace them with strong female role models.
    Apologies if ive gone on a bit of a rant. My next post will be more on topic!

Jim78 likes this.
  5. landsend

Agree with both of you, both valid points. I’ve experienced both sides of the coin and have experienced that both sexes have to put up with horse muck. Been the cannon fodder as you put it There and Back... but also have been the one whose opinion and viewpoint was not taken into account due to being not of the male persuasion, with utterly disastrous consequences all round.

Agreed back on track now to Jims original question... pardon the interruption. Gender such a heated topic hah.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    briski likes this.
  6. briski

briski Senior Registered

Actually thinking about it Ripley would have been better to mention than tomb raider. The point I'm getting at. I think its very wrong to replace a male role model with a female role model. Just do different shows with role models for both sexes. Removing all male role models in my opinion will be harmful to future generations.

7. landsend

I went off on a rant there and ended up deleting it, apologies. I think that all in all good role models all round are lacking. Positive role models for males and females.

briski likes this.
  8. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

Hi landsend. I've found the same things as you. Some situations seem like repeats and some feel like opposites yet there are many differences within those parameters such as your reasons for marrying etc..

My father cried when my brother committed suicide though.

Like you I feel like I fail miserably so I can relate to that but my lesson is very different from yours. I can understand why you are in a more nurturing role this time though.

landsend likes this.
  9. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

I hate political correctness and justice warriors myself people.

I'm reminded of what Groucho Marx said: "He was very open minded. I can feel the draught from here".

10. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

I agree totally with you briski. I wouldnt bother with the new Doctor Who series myself. I know he regenerates but he has always been male. It was a part of his character.

I'm reminded of Indiana Jones. The fun of those films was Indy almost out of his depth and barely scraping through. Nowadays action scenes are all about perfectly choreographed fights and looking cool, this is especially exaggerated when I see a tiny woman beating up truckloads of men who are all bigger than me. It might look slick but it lacks heart and tension. Much better if a woman had to overcome her size and beat her male opponents in innovative ways.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    AlexD and briski like this.
  11. landsend

Have you seen the Kill Bill series? If you can abide the gore, a samurai sword in that instance was pretty innovative for Uma Thurman’s character.

12. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

I haven't seen those films in years landsend but I do remember Thurman holding off loads of men with one sword. I kind of separate Tarantino from his contemporaries anyway. He is into the wit and art one can construct in a film whereas most of the rest just go for what looks cool. He plays with genres, most of the rest just copy their peers.

I was thinking of Scarlett Johansson myself. She rarely breaks a sweat. It's unrealistic. Ripley is a much better action heroine in my opinion. She's a normal woman put into extraordinary circumstances.

briski likes this.
  13. briski

briski Senior Registered

I should mention Sarah Connor as well

Jim78 likes this.
  14. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

Yea briski. The fact that Ripley was a woman was necessary to Aliens. She nurtured and protected Newt from a female alien and her eggs. It wouldn't have worked with a man.

Sarah Conners line to Miles Dyson about how men don't know what it is to create life entirely justifies her being a female action heroine.

Modern films just seem to make women out to be physically as capable as men with no real feminine motivations in my opinion.

briski likes this.
  15. briski

briski Senior Registered

Totally spot on

Jim78 likes this.
  16. There and back again

There and back again Senior Member

Thinking on this further and frankly the feeling of wanting to give up and move on comes up, people are pretty much set in their ways and there is very little that will change anything for the better anytime soon. Probably time to move onto somewhere else entirely next life wise.

briski likes this.
  17. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

You don't like people much, do you There and back again?