Xenoglossy

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Wizard, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Wizard

Wizard New Member

I was a little hesitant about puting this post here because it sounds like some kind of nut stuff, but here it is anyway.

After doing a lot of meditating trying to see if I could revive any past life memories, I began to talk in my sleep in what seems to be different languages. I talk in my sleep when I am in a state of being partly awake and partly asleep. I live in an a large apartment building that is noisy, and there are a lot of people in the building who slam doors when they come and go and it is hard to get good sleep, also my air conditioner is loud so what happens with all this noise going on is that sometimes it causes me to be in a state of partly asleep and partly awake, and this is usualy when I began speaking in what seems to be differrent languages. I don't know if this is some sort of xenoglossy or a bunch of gibberish that I speak caused by my sleep being disturbed.
    What I have done is keep an pencil and paper near me when I sleep so that I can write down what I say in my sleep. It wakes me up when I do this talking in my sleep and I remember some of what I said and then I write down what I remember saying. Sometimes I speak what appears to be in whole sentences in an apparent different language. One time when began to speak in my sleep it woke me up and it scared me, and I thouht, huh? what? I'm talking in a strange language in my sleep?
    Here is some of what I spoke that I wrote down, maybe somebody could make some sense out of it, maybe someone who has knowledge of different languages might recogize some of these words (if it is a language). Here are some of the things I have been saying (I'll try to spell the words as they sound):

Hiya skya valaya! koya koya! maga heema, esko mya, nu nu hahee, gooma seema, bey gooma, agaboe bey gey looshna, goosha veega, oka moka feega, peeza gazi humak.

Now here is another thing I've been saying many times:

"na skibo!"
    These two words come out sounding sometimes like "na skee-bo" and sometimes like "na skebo"

These words come out with different emotional characteristics like sometimes sad sounding sometimes exited sounding and one time angry sounding. Sometimes they came out in what seemed liked a younger persons voice. A few of the other words that came out that seemed different are:

"anglenish" or maybe it was "ang glenish"

the other words were:
    "burgusk" and "magowskee"

I don't know what to make of this but it sure is bizzare. Most of the words I say seem to be one, two, and three sylable words.

Wizard

2. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

HI Wizard,

Do you have any sense of what culture and time period the language might belong to? It would help those that are good at linguistics give you a hand.

3. Suloreth

Suloreth Ever Searching

I have heard "na skibo" and "anglenish" before.

Don't remember from where tho. Possibility that "anglenish" is a dialectical usage of the word "english"?

"Na skibo" sounds like in the Germanic family....possibly Anglo-Saxon? Just feels like the pseudo word rhythm in the original Beowulf (the Seamus Heaney trans).

Good luck!

4. Wizard

Wizard New Member

Hello,
    It seems that words that I speak are different languages, and
    to me, some of it reminds me of a launguage that natives of an island would speak, maybe South Pacific Islands? Not only
    do I speak in these apparent launguages but one time I was singing (in my sleep)in a strange language and it sounded like something that the natives of an Island would sing. To make things even more bizzare was that one time I was laughing (in my sleep) and sounded like I was telling a joke to someone
    , this time it seemed like it might have been in German because one of the things I said was something like "Be be boe schnickerbug" this sounded like german to me, maybe someone would knows German could make sense out of what I was saying. The other things I say seem like they could be words from a variety of different languages. I entered the words "na skibo" into the google search and one of the things that came up was about a Scottish castle called Skibo and there had been a battle by that castle in the 1400's I think, and the words "na skibo" might mean in Scottish "of skibo", perhaps refering to the battle of Skibo"
    Wizard

5. ChrisR

ChrisR Administrator Staff Member Super Moderator

How do you experience xenoglossy?

I know this topic has been covered elsewhere in the forum, but I'm interested to know not what other members have experienced, or why, but how they experience xenoglossy?

I've recalled memories from 3, maybe 4 different past lives, in most of them I speak my native English, but there is one life in which I speak Spanish (a language that I cannot speak in my present life)

The experience is very odd for me personally. Whenever I'm drawn into a memory from this particular life, and i'm interacting with other people in it, I can hear them speaking to me in Spanish, and although my ears are hearing a language that seems to be totally foreign, my brain seems to know exactly what is being said, and I can feel myself reacting to what is being said to me. For example, someone might say something funny, I don't know what they've said, but I seem to understand, and I might feel myself begin to laugh, and I experience all the emotion that goes with it too.

I remembered once during a meditation, there was some writing laid out before me, it looked similar to a scroll, and I could see the writing was in a foreign language. But then I began to find myself reading it, my eyes were making no sense of it, but my brain seemed to know exactly what it meant. My eyes were going through the motion of reading, what I could see made no sense, but as I read, I could feel a sense of sadness welling up inside me - very peculiar!

When i've finished meditating, I can usually remember everything i've heard, but my subconscious has somehow translated it all into English. Occasionally, a few words that i've heard in Spanish - and understood at the time - will stick in my mind, and I carry them back into the here and now, where I find myself unable to translate them.

I would also like to add that the same applies in reverse. For some reason, I don't often remember hearing myself talking in a different language, although it has happened occasionally. Whenever this happens, I can hear myself talking in English - and Spanish at the same time. For example, my brain knows what I want to say, but it seems to be in English, but when I open my mouth to say it, it comes out in Spanish, I seem to be able to do this without even thinking about it. Again, when i'm back in the here and now, I can never recall the Spanish words that i've spoken.

It's very difficult to describe in words how I experience xenoglossy. I was wondering how many other members experience it, and whether you experience it in the same way? Maybe you can describe the experience in your own words?

Chris - :)

6. curious_girl

curious_girl Curious Member

Perhaps you intuitively grasp the energy of what's being said.

In that case it's not necessasy to speak or understand Spanish.

But what happens if someone starts talking Spanish to you right now?

Would you understand what's being said, or do you need Lisbet's "energetic presence" to make your Spanish braincells work? :D

I remember speaking fluently French and German in some of my dreams.

But I'm not sure if that's xenoglossy, since it were only dreams.

Curious Girl.

7. Groovy

Groovy New Member

A tiny derail

Sorry, ChrisR, I don’t have anything to contribute on this subject. I was just wondering why you kept referring to your brain making sense of things rather than your mind?

8. ChrisR

Hi Curious Girl - :)

That's a good question, "intuition" is the word I was looking for. I hear a foreign language that I don't understand, but intuition tells me what it means.

To answer your question, I have experimented with the Spanish language. I once put on a dvd, and I changed the language to Spanish, out of curiosity, not to see if I could translate it into English, but to see if I could understand the gist of what was being said. Unfortunately, I couldn't make any sense of it at all.

It would be interesting to have a session with a Spanish speaking regressionist, whether I would be able to understand them while under regression?

I think you were experiencing xenoglossy, as past-life memories can surface in your dreams. I don't know if you can speak French or German in your current life, but if you can't, and you spoke it in your dreams, where did it come from?

9. ChrisR

Hi Groovy,

Maybe a poor choice of words on my part (I did say it was very difficult to put the experience into words - ;) )

I have to run right now, but I'll come back to this later and see if I can explain myself a bit better - :D

10. curious_girl

curious_girl Curious Member

I speak German and a tiny little bit of French, but it my dreams it comes more naturally.

I don't have to think deeply before I'm able to say something that sounds very intelligent :D

I think the reason why xenoglossy feels different than learning a foreign language,

is that we use a different part of our brain while learning than while we're dreaming or in a meditative state.

Just like trying to remember feels different than experiencing a memory while meditating.

The access to certain memories depends on the state we're in and the focus we have.

I might work like that, but I'm not sure...

Curious Girl.

11. Sunniva

Sunniva Administrator Emeritus

Very interesting question, Chris! :) I haven't tried 'real' xenoglossy yet, but what you describe resembles somewhat how I feel about Russian. I learnt Russian in Highschool, but only for three years so although my knowledge of Russian grammar is good, my vocabulary is very small. Whenever I hear Russians speak though I seem to understand it, yet I don't understand it, you know? Now and then a small word pops out that I know, but it all sounds so familiar and I feel I can understand it.

It's really hard to explain, but I do see it as intuition. My subconscious knows and understands, yet there is a conflict, because my (rational) mind doesn't really. I wonder if that blocks the experience? That would probably also explain why my past life memories always are never in the 'real' language. What is strange in that sense is that they often come through in English, which is not my native language, but I haven't figured that out yet...:rolleyes: ;)

I hope this made any sense :D

12. Skarphedinn

Skarphedinn New Member

Well, another interesting topic again...

I have heard from a highly reputable man that experiments have been made to measure speed of perception and recognition and it has been found that recognition of already known patterns was even quicker than perception of simple stimuli, which is nonsense in a materialistic approach. But still... Do you know anything about such researches? I became so curious about the details.

Yes, I have experienced this phenomenon, when I kept on listening to the song Stolt Margjit in old (perhaps 13th century???) Norwegian, and I managed to understand traces of the story.

Skarphedinn

13. ChrisR

Hi Groovy,

Back to your question. I've just re-read my original post and although it made sense as I was writing it, reading it now I've even confused myself - :D

I think what I meant by referring to the brain, is that the brain is me, in the here and now. No part of it belongs to my past-lives, my past life memories are in my mind, or my subconscious mind. I was trying to say, as I think Sunniva was, when I experience xenoglossy, there is a conflict between the brain and the mind, they both pull in different directions at the same time.

I can see what you're getting at, but like I said, it is very difficult to describe the experience in words. Maybe I could have worded things differently, for example:

I suppose the latter quote does make more sense, maybe I should have put more thought into my choice of words - ;)

Hi Curious Girl,

I was wondering, when you learnt the German and French languages, did they come very easily to you? I wonder if I took Spanish lessons in my present life, whether it would take me very long to learn it?

And Sunniva, I know exactly what you mean when you say you can feel that you should be able to understand a foreign language, it feels like you're just a tiny step away from understanding, but you can't quite make that step - there is a good analogy here somewhere, but I can't think of it - :eek: :laugh:

14. ChrisR

Hi Skarphedinn,

I'm not sure if I understand your question, but it made me think of the following passage from The Holographic Universe, by Michael Talbot:

Does this make sense? Or have I misunderstood your question?

15. Groovy

Groovy New Member

Quite a number of such studies are discussed in this book. My favourite has to do with a visual illusion involving two balls where one ball looks bigger than the other, even though they are actually the same size.

As you say, a similar principle could be at work in your case, where the brain is not familiar with the language, but the mind is.

16. Skarphedinn

Skarphedinn New Member

Thank you, Chris, for the article. Actually wasn't exactly the phenomenon I thought of, but it is of the same type of researches. It seems that evidence is getting accumulated which shall lead to non-materialistic scientific theories of human psichology. But as I have described it fully in an other thread, it might last a few decades until it becomes fully accepted in scientific circles. I am looking forward to hearing more of them.

Skarphedinn

17. Clivia

Clivia Senior Registered

Hi

that was a very interesting quote - Groovy - thanks.

I can perfectly understand what you Chris and the others mean by having no problems to understand when going back to a life time which language we don't speak in the present.

Whenever I went back to such a life there was no language barrier I just understood - guess that has to do with the soul memory - as we have already lived through this situation and know what's giong on.

I remember many years ago when I started to learn Swedish and also went to Sweden I occasionally had dreams about being in Sweden and people would speak Swedish - however I only could understand what I could understand in the wake state - these were so called day-rest dreams - very different to pastlife dreams, past life meditations or regressions.

My personal experience with xenoglossy: my mum told me that when I was little I would sit up in the middle of the night obviously still asleep and talk what she called 'jibberish' - my mum does not really speak any other language but she has a fine ear and quite often unknowingly adepts to the accent of the person she is talking to - the way she immitated me absolutley sounds like an Indian or Pakistani language - and I am pretty sure that I was Indian in my previous incarnation. This happend in the 60s in the Tyrol and my mum would not even have thought of reincarnation - would have been interesting if she had taped it.

I am fairly at ease with languages - and very interested wherever i go to be able to speak at least a few words - like thank you and a glass of white wine please :laugh: - and generally get compliments for my pronounciation - but that might be politeness of the person I am talking to. :)

Clivia

18. Phoenix

Phoenix Forgot to play nice

I experience occasional xenoglossy as a sort of verbal confusion.

For me, it happens when I either say or write a word incorrectly so that it comes out in either German or British English.

Almost every time I type 'God', it comes out "Got" and then I have to go back and correct it. It's not a typo, because T and D use different fingers.

I've managed to break most of my British spelling habits, except for 'grey'. 'Gray' just does not look right to me.

I also have confusion over sentence structure at times, and construct them like German sentences, instead of English.

Phoenix

19. Clivia

Clivia Senior Registered

Hi Phoenix

thought I let you know 'Got' is not a german word - God in german is 'Gott' - 'got' though is a swedish word and means ' 'good' - maybe you should check if you had a swedish past life :)

Clivia

20. Phoenix

Phoenix Forgot to play nice

No...it is a German word, but not a standard one, so you won't find it in a dictionary these days-it was used by the SS-as a neo-pagan replacement for the German word for God-Gott.

There is a special rune which represents "Got" that was constructed by one of the wacky SS mystics.

Phoenix