"You only have 1 life"

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by briski, Nov 25, 2018.

1. briski

briski Senior Registered

I hear this so often, sometimes i feel like saying something. I guess though if i did i would sound crazy. Do you guys just ignore this when you hear that or say something?

Ritter, TheDivineOne and glia21 like this.
  2. Speedwell

Speedwell Senior Registered

Usually ignore it. Occasionally comment that I've had more than one. But then let it drop, not turn it into a debate - unless people are receptive already.

glia21 and briski like this.
  3. glia21

glia21 explorer21

Good question briski. It is hard for me to ignore it but I usually do. I hear it a lot of times... :rolleyes: Next time I might simply say I ve had more than one, like speedwell suggested, and see what happens :cool:

briski and Speedwell like this.
  4. fireflydancing

fireflydancing just a fly in the sky Staff Member Super Moderator

Or,

You just smile back into their face, asking ‘Are you sure?’
    Haha... works great. :)

5. SeekerOfKnowledge

SeekerOfKnowledge Learner

That's a wonderful idea. Now I almost hope someone will say that, so that I can try...

fireflydancing and briski like this.
  6. fireflydancing

You can add your own dramatic face and voice. So much fun and it’s not you who is vulnerable then. If you do it with fun and seriousness, people might open up for a good conversation.

SeekerOfKnowledge likes this.
  7. TheDivineOne

TheDivineOne Should've been born a girl...

Based on my given circumstances i vehemently refuse to accept the notion that we only have this one live here on Earth and once that has ended, that's it; a huge part of the reason being is that one lifetime lasting roughly about 80-100 or so years isn't enough to experience everything life on Earth has to experience. There are different people to experience being, genders, races, ethnic backgrounds, occupations, etc.

Edited to Add:
    Normally, i would be one to respect people's beliefs as i would want them to respect mine, and so if the debate comes up and I'm not in the conversation, I of course won't butt in but if someone debates it with me that there's only one life, I'll start by calmly explaining why I refuse to believe or accept that and if they don't agree and insist on the matter further, I may either get more forceful about it or just agree to disagree... which tends to work more times than not.

Edited to Add AGAIN:
    Also, it seems that for the most part the "you only live once" committee tend to be either a member of Christianity or practice a strong faith in the religious, "God" doctrine, as there is a scripture in the bible that says: "And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that." Hebrews 9:27, and they tend to use this and some other God-based prophecy regarding why there's only one life. But still, i refuse to accept that reincarnation is not real. I'm not saying all the "you only live once" believers practice Christianity or study the bible. But based on my experiences with people who believe that, most of them do. But then again I don't believe in God, though I believe in a Divine Higher Power out there, I just don't believe in the whole "God" facade Christianity depicts as being a "male" figure, and it all tends to put me up at arms when I hear any talk of "God."

I didn't mean to bring religion into this or to veer the thread off the topic the O/P brought up, but my point was that based on my personal experiences it seems the "you only live once" committee are either Christian or religious in some way as they use that verse to back it up. I personally refuse to accept it partly because I want it to be real so that I can reincarnate after the course of this lifetime has concluded, not just because of my gender stuff, but also because I want to have new experiences and relive old ones from this life, be a child again, and the ideology behind reincarnation fascinates me because it's kind of like a video game — you die, you live another life, except you start again from the very beginning, not where your last life ended.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    BenjaminFR, KenJ and briski like this.
  8. Thyme

Thyme Active Member

Some people think that believing in "one life" they can enjoy small things or be glad to be alive, however, even though I think it's a good excuse, when a person is rude and says "If you die, you don't get another chance. You just disappear." I answer, "What a coincidence, one of my past lives said the same thing that you, ops, I'm here again, but I assumed I didn't have another chance.:D" In general, I answer funny things or I don't say anything.

In the worst case, an atheist boy told me "idealistic idiot" for believing in reincarnation.

9. yvettebruneau

yvettebruneau Senior Member

Usually just shrug it off, though I'm tempted to try fireflydancing's suggestion. Just to see their facial reactions, or stimulate conversation.

10. glia21

glia21 explorer21

Good question briski. It is hard for me to ignore it but I usually do. I hear it a lot of times... :rolleyes: Next time I might simply say I ve had more than one, like speedwell suggested, and see what happens :cool:

briski likes this.
  11. fireflydancing

I do think you must live your life as if there is only one. We all must strive to get the best out of it. We also must resist the temptation to use Karma as an excuse not to act on and live for Justice. That’s one of the reasons (among others) why I reject Karma. Don’t use Karma as an excuses looking backwards and don’t use it as a reward looking forward. Live from your Core, regardless punishment and reward. Radiate your innerself. Reject Heaven and Hell.
    So when people say: YOLO, I am not offended and I don’t feel the urge to convince them otherwise. There is a reason why they live from this perspective. The same reason why we remember so little from former lives ourselves. It’s not bad in itself.

I do reflect this: ‘Are you sure?’ sometimes when I really like this people. And mostly it opens them up.

A few days ago, I was speaking to my brother by Messenger. He is very different from me. I usualy call him ‘riot mouse’. I don’t want him on this forum because he would stirr it up until he gets banned. I told him about this forum (he knew, but had apparently forgotten about it). Than he said: Hey sis, you know I am not the one who is into this stuff. For me, it’s over after death: finito, blank, over and out.
    I laughed and said that we’ll finish this conversation sometime in the Afterlife, while drinking a cold beer.
    And by the way: why do you call me Sister?
    Because you ARE.
    (we are not blood related)
    Ok, I am absolutely sure you were my sister in a former life.
    Lol
    For years and years we call each other brother and sister, because that’s such a basic feeling. We go through fire defending each other.
    So one part of him shouts out he doesn’t believe anything, while another part of him fiercely defends this pastlife sister concept. Sometime ago when he went into politics, he published a bio in which he stated: I am husband, father, brother....
    He is only child. :p

KenJ likes this.
  12. baro-san

baro-san Senior Member

If you believe you have only one life, and there is more, you'll have a big surprise.

If you believe this isn't your only life, and you're wrong, you won't be surprised.

Better live your life as if there is more!

briski and SeekerOfKnowledge like this.
  13. Ritter

Ritter Senior Registered

Believing there is only one life and then 'finito' is a great excuse for cowardice, hedonism and all sorts of negative stuff. Faith in life after death is really important for more reasons than it being the truth. If I genuinely believed this was it, I would behave like most people. I don't, so I don't. When I hear someone say "you only live once" in some form, I generally interject that it is not the case. Sadly, I generally stop and explain things even when it is not understood or well-received. About this or anything.

Speedwell likes this.