• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

9/11 - Child in England remembers being an American firefighter

ukmom

Senior Registered
Hi

I have previously been a member of this forum but haven't visited for a few years. I mentioned at the time that my son then around 2 appeared to have prior knowledge of numbers. Now at age 5 he is still very good with numbers and he could also fluently read by the age of 3. He has just started school and teacher is fairly amazed by his reading and looked to us for an explanation which we don't have.

Anyway my reason for posting is since an early age he has been interested in fire fighters but more the american style as compared to our UK fireman over here.

From around the age 3 he began giving us names. He especially talked lots about Lou and even gave us a surname. I had taken Lou to be a first name he was referring to but recently became aware that in America they have fire Leutenants. Would someone in the fire service refer to themselves as LEU(with surname) rather than Leutenant?. During role playing with his sisters he has talked lots about "pater/pata" is this an american term/name? I should add we personally don't know of any people with the names he mentioned. He has no problems around fire but is wary of elevators.

J

Hi UKmom,

I do remember your posts from a few years ago. I am afraid I do not know anything about firemen, or terms. But perhaps someone else here does.

Are there any other terms he is using? I imagine a lieutenant would not be referred to as "Leu" but I really do not know. Lou however, is a common name. If you have the surname - have you done an Internet search on the name? It might be surprising what comes up.

Good luck and please keep us posted. :)

Welcome back, ukmom.

"Pater" is the Latin word for "Father."

I think -- it would be considered disrespectful for anyone to refer to a Lieutenant as "Leu," but I am not entirely sure. I know they are pretty big on formalities and titles here in Canada, where I am. :)

I believe the shortened form is Lt. before the surname. Have you tried googling the last name your son gave you with the first name as "Lou"? Or a variation of it such as Louis?

I'd also try both Lt. & Lieutenant with the last name and see what you come up with. As Deborah said -- you may be surprised ;)

Best of luck,

Ailish

Ukmom,

If no one on here knows anything about firemen, I'll call our local fire station and see what I can come up with.

Will I need any more details? Is that a long 'a' or a short 'a' on the words pater/pata?

Vicky

As a police officer I spent a lot of time around firemen and have not heard it specifically, but differing variations. As Ailish said, a normal firefighter would not randomly address his superior in playful formality unless he were a good friend. In police circles you'd here guys calling the duty lieutenant "L" "T" and this was true of firemen too. But its a big country and every city has its own traditions. Perhaps there is a place where that is used.

I will PM Stars3 and see what he thinks...he was a fire chief...perhaps he'll drop in.

Fire Dept Lingo

Tink,Deb and UKMOM.

I got a bit misty after reading this short thread. The reason being I tend to be a little intuitive sometimes. After 911 I attended to many funerals and witnessed the exit of 343 brave members of the Fire Department of New York (FDNY). Now we may be seeing an entrance. I believe the young lad could be the returned soul of a firefighter killed on 911.

Three things are mentioned that may seem like small clues but actually loom large when it comes to 911 and the FDNY.
Lou / Elevators / Pater

I will take these one at a time and give you my thoughts.

LOU: In the U.S. (especially the Tri-State area, New York, New Jersey and Connecticut) the term "Lou" is used when addressing a Fire Dept. Lieutenant under non-formal ( by "non-formal", I mean not in front of the Public ) conditions such as fire-ground operations or in station. A Captain would be referred to as Cap. This is not disrespectful and I have observed the feeling of respect and love by their use. FDNY loves to keep talk to a minimum to the point where they have even shortened "OK" to "K". So, on the fire-ground when an officer give a command over the radio instead of hearing a reply of "Yes I understand and will do that right away Captian (or Lieutenant)" all you will hear is "K Cap", "K Lou" or just plain "K".

Elevators: Firefighter are wary of elevators. You will note signs near elevator stating not to use them when there is a fire in the building. There are many reasons for that we won't go into here. Fire Depts. have keys to operate elevators during operations in building under fire conditions. They must be used with care. There have been cases where the firefighters have ended up on the same floor as the fire and not be able to close the door because of the smoke blocking the light beam that tells the door not to close. On 911 the first arriving firefighters at the Twin Towers (World Trade Center) were greeted with a horrific sight. The doors of the elevators opened and the occupants came out of the cars very badly burned from the flaming jet fuel that had made its way into the elevator shafts.

Pater: As Ailish mentioned, "Pater" is the Latin word for "Father." On 911 the FDNY lost its Chaplain, Father Judge. He was much beloved (and I can't stress much enough). He was killed in the collapse of the first tower and is listed as victim #0001. Some of the firefighters carried him to near-by St. Paul church and laid him on the alter. In New York City he was probably called many things, Father, Pater, Padre...with all the nationalities and accents you can imagine all the variables to that. Irish might sound like Faaa-the, a New York accent would be Fada and so on.

From these three clues I would say, Firefighter/911/FDNY

So, UKMOM, hug the little guy for me. If you PM me your name and address I will send you a copy of my book. In it there is a picture from "Ground-Zero" that was taken by a Lieutenant that was with me on a visit there during the recovery period. You might want to let your son "just happen to see it" and watch his reaction.

Best, Jeff Keene
Asst. Chief F.D. (ret)

WOW! Thank You Jeff! I did a forum search and found Ukmom's old thread from 2003. My son and numbers She indicates he responded then to the number two. I am curious what the importance of numbers might be to a firefighter? Stations have numbers - is this right?

I look forward to her responses and appreciate your compassionate post.

Hi Deb,

Yes, Fire Stations in N.Y.C. have numbers. Engine #10 and Truck #10 were very near the WTC and could see it right across the street when they looked out their front door. This station was known as 10/10 or 10 house. The number 2 could be anything, Engine 2, Truck 2, Rescue 2... UKMOM should listen for the number 10 followed by another number. A 10 system was very much used in past years and portions still remain today. It is a code as 10-20, or 10-4 (10-20 meaning location and 10-4 being a reply in the affirmative). Hope this helps.

Best, Jeff

Wow! I have goosebumps.

I really hope you all don't think I'm nuts and I don't like to post "feelings" too much, but after reading Jeff's comments, I have to respond.

I've been following this thread without knowing exactly what to say, especially when I just had hunches or feelings with no real "basis" (so-to-speak). However, when I read the post initially, I instantly felt this little boy is a 911 firefighter and even felt that the term: "pata" was a New York-type accent.

I almost posted initially to ask when the boy's birthday is. I'm sorry I didn't post before, but I really have to back Jeff up on this because my feelings are so strong on it.

I have to say it also that I felt very strongly that the boy was from either New York or New Jersey. I'm not sure if I felt that way because of the perceived accent.

Jeff, which nationality would use the word 'pater?' Would that narrow it down for us? For example, are there firefighting units that might consist mostly of Italian-Americans, Hispanic Americans and so forth?

Vicky

Funny, but 9/11 also ran across my mind yesterday when reading this thread.

When I heard the word "Pater" I kept thinking of a prayer. I know many religions still use some form of Latin in their worship services. At my niece's christening a few weeks ago, they had prayers in Latin.

Jeff,
Thanks for your informed comments.

UKMom, is there anything else your son has said or done to lead you to believe that he was an American firefighter? Any behaviors? Does he have any specific knowledge about firefighting? I suspect you're on the right trail in believing that he was a firefighter.

The attack on 9-11 is such an emotional topic. It's comforting to believe that your son may have been one of the firemen killed on 9-11. (Because, I think that some of those souls are probably back, and it would give us all some kind of closure.) However, I hesitate to jump to that conclusion based on what you said--unless there is more to the story.

I, too, am curious: what is your son's birth date?

Thanks for sharing. Please let us know if anything else comes up.

Carol

UKMOM,

Carol is right. I hope you noted that I said, "could be the returned soul of a firefighter killed on 911". in my other post. You have a few puzzle pieces but many are needed to get the full picture. Here is the Ground Zero picture from my book. It is a simple picture with three main elements, the flag, the bulldozer and the remnants of the exterior framework unique to the World Trade Center. You could print it out and leave it somewhere where your son might see it. If he does see it he may ask you about it or start talking about himself. Maybe Carol can give you some ideas on how to best do this? This is my first try at adding a jpeg file to a post so here it goes.

Best to all.

SmallGZflag.jpg

Hi again

Many thanks all of you for your responses. In answer to some of yr questions my son was born 9th October. Which would have made me 8 months pregnant around September 11. Would this be too soon?.

I too have considered that he could have been talking about 9/11 but was wary of adding 2 plus 2 and making 5 partly due to my own depth of feelings about the events and the fact I myself am interested in reincarnation. I even wondered could I have transferred my own thoughts onto him whilst in the womb.

The pata he mentioned sounded like patter as in the patter of tiny feet.

During role playing aswell as names and giving his sisters orders he talked about putting his dogs in the back of the truck which I found a bit strange as we didn't own a dog (although we do now) and it was all very matter of fact.

I myself did a search of firefighters who sadly died on 9/11 and had a partial match of a surname(not the first name) he mentioned but again I'm very worried about jumping to conclusions and/or possibly upsetting the family involved.

As he has become older my son is reluctant to talk much about his possible past life and has never shared any great detail about the roles of firefighter especially in comparion to the little boy who talked about a past life in Scotland on a recent tv programme. I'm not sure what more if anything I'll be able to uncover but will keep listening.

Many thanks Jeff for the offer of sending yr book. it was very kind of you and I will contact u.

much love to all

J

My thoughts ...

Hi to all ....

UKMom : the boy maybe was of Greek origin in his past life ...Here in Greece , in the Orthodox Church , we call the parish priest "pater " which can be translater to Father .

I think that your son was really that famous Chaplain Judge but I dont know much about him .

About myself now : I'd like to learn how to meditate and how to do a past life regression , as here in Greece , there are no Hypnotists that I can go . I had wrote something about King George I of Greece sometime ago , and I wanted to know if my respect for His Majesty comes from a past life side

Thank you Ukmom for sharing this interesting story! Please keep us posted - and I want to thank all the others in this thread for their input, too! :thumbsup:

Greekboy1981, I suggest you read through our FAQ and Regression sections - I'm sure you'll find some good answers there. If you have further questions, please ask them at the Questions section. :)

Karoliina

Timing Of Birth

UK Mom,

Your son could be the reincarnation of a 9/11 firefighter casualty despite the fact that you were a little over eights months pregnant.

In "heaven" time does not exist. Therefore your son could have spent a great deal of time there even though not much time passed on earth.

In addition, I want to point out that our lives are often planned several lives in advance. For instance, I already know who I will be during my next soujourn on earth.

Bonnie

I thought it appropriate to bring this 9-11 thread to the top. A wonderfully synchronous thing: when I went to do it....it showed 911 views on the thread list window.: angel...

Have a good day.

Tinkerman

wow!

That gives me the shivers...

Not the creepy kind!

The kind I get when there's a message being sent. :D

Beth

Ukmom, are you still around? I would love to hear an update. If not - I thought this case might be of interest to newer members.

Wow! I hope UKmom comes back to update us! I loved reading this! I can't wait to read more posts!! I need to head to bed, but this board is so well moderated and put together. I can't wait to read more!

Blessings~

Keani

I know this thread has been going on for a while but I had to submit this comment. I have occasionally read this board but when I saw this I had to join so I could post. The statement was in the original message:

During role playing with his sisters he has talked lots about "pater/pata" is this an american term/name?

As a resident of New Jersey, I know there is a town in northern NJ called Paterson. While the suggestions that this term referred to a priest have merit, I think the town name may also be a possibility. Manhattan is expensive real estate, more expensive than someone on a firefighter's salary might afford, so it's likely the man did not live there. Paterson, NJ is close enough to be within commuting distance to NY, about 40 minutes according to google maps. Or he may have belonged to the Paterson, NJ firehouse and they may have been on the scene.

UKMom - if you're still reading these you might want to say something about Paterson casually and see if your son reacts.

Here is the link to the WEST Paterson volunteer fire company - the Paterson fire company does not have it's own website, however on this one they have photos of their equipment - you might let him look at some of the trucks and see if he connects with them.

Fire Dept Lingo

Tink,Deb and UKMOM.

I got a bit misty after reading this short thread. The reason being I tend to be a little intuitive sometimes. After 911 I attended to many funerals and witnessed the exit of 343 brave members of the Fire Department of New York (FDNY). Now we may be seeing an entrance. I believe the young lad could be the returned soul of a firefighter killed on 911.

Three things are mentioned that may seem like small clues but actually loom large when it comes to 911 and the FDNY.
Lou / Elevators / Pater

I will take these one at a time and give you my thoughts.

LOU: In the U.S. (especially the Tri-State area, New York, New Jersey and Connecticut) the term "Lou" is used when addressing a Fire Dept. Lieutenant under non-formal ( by "non-formal", I mean not in front of the Public ) conditions such as fire-ground operations or in station. A Captain would be referred to as Cap. This is not disrespectful and I have observed the feeling of respect and love by their use. FDNY loves to keep talk to a minimum to the point where they have even shortened "OK" to "K". So, on the fire-ground when an officer give a command over the radio instead of hearing a reply of "Yes I understand and will do that right away Captian (or Lieutenant)" all you will hear is "K Cap", "K Lou" or just plain "K".

Elevators: Firefighter are wary of elevators. You will note signs near elevator stating not to use them when there is a fire in the building. There are many reasons for that we won't go into here. Fire Depts. have keys to operate elevators during operations in building under fire conditions. They must be used with care. There have been cases where the firefighters have ended up on the same floor as the fire and not be able to close the door because of the smoke blocking the light beam that tells the door not to close. On 911 the first arriving firefighters at the Twin Towers (World Trade Center) were greeted with a horrific sight. The doors of the elevators opened and the occupants came out of the cars very badly burned from the flaming jet fuel that had made its way into the elevator shafts.

Pater: As Ailish mentioned, "Pater" is the Latin word for "Father." On 911 the FDNY lost its Chaplain, Father Judge. He was much beloved (and I can't stress much enough). He was killed in the collapse of the first tower and is listed as victim #0001. Some of the firefighters carried him to near-by St. Paul church and laid him on the alter. In New York City he was probably called many things, Father, Pater, Padre...with all the nationalities and accents you can imagine all the variables to that. Irish might sound like Faaa-the, a New York accent would be Fada and so on.

From these three clues I would say, Firefighter/911/FDNY

So, UKMOM, hug the little guy for me. If you PM me your name and address I will send you a copy of my book. In it there is a picture from "Ground-Zero" that was taken by a Lieutenant that was with me on a visit there during the recovery period. You might want to let your son "just happen to see it" and watch his reaction.

Best, Jeff Keene
Asst. Chief F.D. (ret)

I realize that this a very, very old thread but I came across something recently that I keep thinking about in regard to this thread, specifically the “Pata” references.

This is a video of 9/11 firefighter John Morabito Ladder Co 10 in NYC and his recollections of that day. Around the 3:03 time stamp he mentions a woman who is looking for her husband firefighter “Danny Pata”. The way he pronounces it is like “pah-da”, like that of “little feet” as UKmom said if this were spoken in an English or New York City accent. It seems that this Danny Pata was in the same house as John (10 House I believe?)

Listen around 3:00 minutes in and he says it.

If you take a listen, share with us what you think. Again I’m aware that this thread is super old but maybe there is some connection still to be made somehow!

I googled Danny Pata but haven’t found anything yet. If I find something I will be sure to share it here.

Last edited:
Summer785 -- The name of the firefighter you were trying to find is Dan Potter. He survived the 9/11 WTC terrorist attack and retired from FDNY Ladder (Company) 31 some time thereafter. On the day of the attack, Sept 11, 2001, he was off-duty and attending a Lieutenant exam study-course on Staten Island when the first plane struck. Told of the attack he drove into Manhattan to Ladder 10 (in the "10-10" firehouse on Liberty Street just across and down the street from 2 WTC maybe half a block) to grab some gear and look for his wife, who was working in 1 WTC.

Here is a facebook link with photo:

https://www.facebook.com/ladderthirtyfour/photos/a.322654047817873/2117605444989382/?type=3&comment_tracking={"tn":"O"}

His wife, Jean, who was working on the 81st floor of 1 WTC (the north tower) at the time, also survived. Apparently she escaped thru the underground concourse (mall) connecting the two towers.

https://www.poconorecord.com/article/20110910/news0963/109110317

Jean tells her story in this clip (5 min) :

Last edited:
GSITS- thank you!! I can def hear that now. Do you think there is any connection? I wish UK_mom was still around to give input.

Back