a peaceful life, until WWI (and some enantiodromia thrown in)

Discussion in 'Past Life Memories' started by Anna H., Jun 2, 2015.

1. Anna H.

Anna H. Anna H.

These are some fragments of memory from a young man. He lived in a place called Something-by-a word starting with L. He was young, probably late teens, and was just beginning to think of himself as a man rather than a boy. He was likely pretty unremarkable--he was a farm worker and liked his job, he loved his mom and she loved him.

The impression that I have is that his intellectual functioning was not high. If IQ tests had existed back then, I think he would have scored on the lower edge of normal, or possibly mildly impaired.

What little I remember has to do with how he felt, rather than what he thought. He was one of those people who live in the present without thinking much about what it all means. He liked going out to work on early summer mornings. He especially liked to drive the horse-drawn mowing machine. Why? He just did. He liked animals, although sometimes that particular horse could be a--for some reason I want to describe the horse as a "ninny," although that may have been the first time I've used the word. He liked baby rabbits, and if he saw some, he'd stop mowing, get off the machine, and move them out of the way. He also liked birds, and once told a boy not to throw rocks at a tree where there was a nest.

He seems to have been a contented, peaceful guy with a good life. Unfortunately, that ended with the war. I don't think this guy had any clue what war even was until he got sent into the middle of one.

Among the few clear memories that stand out is being amused by eating out of a small metal tray with a sliding cover, that had compartments for food and a tiny spoon or spork. For some reason he really thought this thing was funny--both clever and pointless. He never realized that they ate off these because this was the only practical way to eat in a trench. He also liked the uniforms because they were newer and less worn than his regular clothes. He resented all the yelling.

He died bleeding out from a bad leg injury that may have been shrapnel or a bullet wound. He was resentful for reasons he was unable to express--the unfairness of it, the stupid people who kill each other instead of doing a good job, wanting his mother to come get him, dying...

The last thought he had was clear, and something I don't believe he had ever heard of before that moment. He thought, angrily, "I'm coming back, and next time I'll be a girl!" His reasoning was that girls didn't have to be soldiers, and therefore wouldn't suffer as he had.

2. Ender27

Ender27 Senior Registered

You've got nice picture of your whole life! Do you remember, what came atter? You know, what I mean - the time when you died and thought, that you'll become a girl. Have you left your body?

3. Anna H.

Anna H. Anna H.

Hi, Ender27. Yes, that person did come back as a girl, born 1927 in Germany, just in time for WWII. It seems the lesson here is be careful what you wish for.

This is the only past life in which I can remember reincarnation being mentioned. He was not dead when he thought of it, but knew he was dying.

As for what happens between lives, I only remembered the "in-between place" through hypnosis. It was very hard to describe because it wasn't a physical place so much as a condition. The hypnotist kept asking about it, but I couldn't understand why he didn't remember it. I was sure that everyone including him had been there.

4. ZeonChar

ZeonChar Senior Member

Where was he from?

5. Indian

Indian Senior Registered

England has quite a few places named "something on something" like for example Stockton on Tees and Stockton on the Forest. Well, some German names like Frankfurt am Main have essentially the same construction, I suppose?

I can recognize the decision to choose to be reborn in different circumstances to avoid participating in more wars - I haven't got any direct WW1 memories, though I'm aware of a life as a man in USA approximately 1898 - 1933 (died young from TB) which would have put me in the same age category as the main portion of the american soldiers thet were sent over to europe in 1917-18. If I didn't participate I would still have heard about the horrors of the trenches from friends and probably lost some friends in the war.

No wonder my next life was as a girl in peaceful Sweden, born 1941. Though I couldn't escape the experience of dying young again - this time in a car wreck at age 17 in 1959 (& that experience I could remember in a regression)

Now I'm a guy again, again born in Sweden in the mid 60's since war still seems stupid and useless to me. But I'm still emotionally attached to the USA and collects 1920's US cars and motorcycles that the US guy wasn't really finished with when he died. And I also collect mid century modern stuff for the home that I wanted to have as a girl in the late 50's but never had a chance to..

6. helz_belz

helz_belz Super Moderators Staff Member Super Moderator

Thank you for sharing Anna! It's odd, but there are parallels in your lives that I recognise in my own - a male life involved in WW1 followed by a female life in Germany. If you uncover anything further about this life of yours I for one would be very interested to hear! :thumbsup:

7. Looking Backwards

Looking Backwards Senior Registered

This breaks my heart - I'm glad you warned us in the title with the "until WWI"!

I also thought England, though - do you remember him specifically calling his mother mom? In England it would typically be "Mum."

Of course, it's possible it was America or Canada and there are also towns named "Something-by-L," or something-by-L wasn't the official name, but rather, how people referred to it. (South village, the one by the lake. I don't know, just thinking.)

8. Anna H.

Anna H. Anna H.

Hey, Helz Belz, we're twins!LOL I've been able to recall these fragments for a long time, but nothing more. I'll let you know if I get anything more. Now, as for Germany, I've got a fairly decent timeline worked out.

Looking Backwards, I can see what you mean about heart-breaking. This guy, whoever he was, definitely did not belong in a war. He liked and respected life too much to ever have a comfort level with killing. As for his mom, I think he jokingly mispronounced "Mother" something like "Mither". She called him Toddy, Toffy, Tommy, I'm not sure exactly.

9. Anna H.

Anna H. Anna H.

Oh, yeah, I forgot to say that he was definitely from somewhere in the British Isles, and considered himself English.

10. Dawn o the Shed

Dawn o the Shed Senior Registered

11. Dawn o the Shed

12. Dawn o the Shed

13. Dawn o the Shed

14. Anna H.

Anna H. Anna H.

Hi, Dawn,

The information you found is great. The dialect is odd; many of the individual words are common in American English, but the pronunciation is very different.

The pictures of the place look right, for lack of a better word, especially the fields and sky. Probably a farm worker would have paid a lot of attention to those.

The war memorial is interesting, in that reading the name Albert Rowe, my reaction was something like, "So young Al's dead, poor sod!" (That, by the way, in American English, means about what "turf" does in English. I know what it means to you guys, but in that context, we would call someone a "poor *******".)

And for some reason, the name Harry Woods makes me quietly sad. I can't really say that was or wasn't my name.

Thanks for finding all this. :)

15. Dawn o the Shed

You're very welcome :)

I'm our family's genealogist, and although my membership of Ancestry.com has lapsed due to lack of funds, I do know where I can get a fair amount of free information if you feel particularly drawn to a name.

Ancestry regularly do days/weekends with free access, in which case a name leads to a service record, which leads to both a regiment and a home address and next of kin names, then the world's your oyster as they say! Perhaps finding the names of family or friends will help you place which one was you.

Let me know if I can help, and good hunting...