Am I not supposed to know?

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Huancaya, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Huancaya

Huancaya New Member

I have been curious about past lives for a long time. At times, I have felt simply guided to books through which I was able to expand on what little I already knew. It is a topic I never seem to bore of.

Finally, about a year ago I went to have a regression. The woman used visual imagery rather than deep hypnosis. She told me to start out in a room, go through a door then down some stairs. At the bottom of the stairs, I would be able to stop and look at my feet presumably in a past life. Thing is, I never felt ready to get to the bottom. In my vision, I just kept going. I could tell in her voice that she was surprised I was not yet in a past life so I tried to force it. This didn't work out too well and I became extremely uncomfortable and anxious. I practically ran out of there and she was quite surprised with it as well, said it had never happened before.

This experience turned me off for some time to past lives and I felt quite abandoned. Eventually, I stumbled upon something else, I don't remember what, but once again, I was reading about past lives and wondering about my own.

I have always had trouble with meditation and after the experience with the visual imagery, I wanted something a little different. This time, I spoke with someone who claims to be able to tell you about your past lives. I asked about my husband and I, what experiences we have had together. It was a sentimental question really, just curiosity. She began to tell me about a not entirely pleasant experience we had had together then told me some things about my husband's nature. She asked me if this sounded like him and honestly, it did not at all, if he was that way, he is not now in this life. She was surprised, said that she had never had this happen and would refund my money.

It was such an unpleasant experience and I am far more uncomfortable with the way I was, or I felt dismissed, than anything that she said about my past life with my husband.

So, if you have read this far, I thank you - I know this is a rather long post. My question is could it be that am I just not supposed to know? In which case, why can't I move on? I always feel drawn back to reincarnation and am so curious about my own past but every try turns out miserably.

Any input would be much appreciated.

2. Obie

Obie Senior Registered

Welcome to the forum Huancaya!

I know what you feel. I have had the same types of things happen to me. Some people who can look into the past are good and others are not as good. You probably came across a woman who wasnt very good at her job. Since you called her out she was forced to give you your money back. Others who are timid about speaking up and letting her know her assessment is wrong might not have had their money refunded.

I would just say hang in there. You might come across a good regressionist and it might make the wait worthwhile. Also, try some regression tapes on your own. On the main page there are links to good meditation and regression CD's.

I myself am not too good at regressing myself. So I know how you feel. I have had to talk to fortune tellers. Surprisingly 2 of them described the same life so I knew that life had to be true.

Good luck!

3. Sunniva

Sunniva Administrator Emeritus

Hiya Huancaya :)

First of all welcome to the forum! :thumbsup: I hope you will enjoy the space, get inspired, learn and hopefully get a bit closer to understanding your past lives ;)

Secondly, I certainly sounds like you've had some negative experiences with past life remembering. I don't think that some people aren't 'supposed to know' about their past lives, I firmly believe that everyone can access them (since everybody have had past lives). There may be several reasons as to why yours don't come easily (or not at all).

Why don't most people consciously remember past lives?

It may simply be your that your technique is wrong for you. Personally I've never been to a professional regressionist, but I've heard about both succesful and unsuccesful sessions. This one may be of interest to you Does regression really work?

My advice is, don't give up there are many other ways to access your memories. You wrote that meditation doesn't really work for you. Well, I want to direct you to this thread anyhow: Audio cd's suitable for past life regression

I've personally had quite a bit of success with guided regressions, although my memories are no way as detailed as others' in this forum. I will especially recomment Roger Woolger's 'Healing your past lives' since it doesn't involve a relaxation part (like what you experienced at the regressionist). Of course I can't guarantee that it will work for you, but I'm very pleased with it (especially since I don't always have the patience to go down stairs or enjoy lush gardens, but just want some answers! :D ).

Another really good advice is to keep a journal. This is a great idea on how to use it: Writing techniques

Write your dreams in it too, things you are attracted to, repelled by, historical periods you like in particular (and why), perhaps certain kinds of music you love, food or smells you like or dislike, but also habits, childhood games.

We all carry luggage from a past life, it's just about using the right tool to open the suitcase (excuse the poor analogy :eek: :)).

Oh, and one last thing. Something I've spend a lot of time fighting with is the...shall we say, quality? of my past life memories. When you read through this forum you will find the most amazingly detailed past life memories, but it's important to remember that we all remember differently. It's kind of like drawing or painting. Some people have an amazing natural talent and can pull off a beautiful drawing or painting without any effort (no offense, Deborah ;) ), most people can learn to paint or draw, but they need to work hard and concentrated, perhaps for many years and yet still not achieve that natural flow of the 'talent'. It shouldn't put you off though - quite on the contrary! The memories will come eventually if you ask the right questions and use the techniques that work for you.

Oops, better stop now -- this is getting far too long :D I hope this was of any help. Please feel free to ask any questions at any time!

Again, welcome!

/Sunniva

4. ChrisR

ChrisR Administrator Emeritus Staff Member Super Moderator

Hi Huancaya,

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear that you haven't been very successful in remembering your past lives, but like the others have said already, if you're really interested to know, then don't give up - ;)

Like Sunniva said, it can be surprising how many attributes we carry over from our past lives that we take for granted in our present life, like irrational phobias, inexplicable fascination for a particular period in history, good or bad habits etc., we all subconsciously remember our past lives, it just takes a bit more practice to bring those subconscious memories and feelings to the surface where we can then work wih them.

Actually, she could have been right. Although the essence of our being remains the same from life to life, I believe that we have to experience the full spectrum of personalities in order to become 'complete'. Therefore, you and your husband could have been together as bitter enemies in one life, then best friends in the next and so on. I've read cases for example, where couples, married to each other in this life, were 'murderer and victim' in a previous life. I think the idea is that souls can return together in different scenarios to help and teach each other and learn from one another. Think of each life as like being at school, we all had lessons that we liked, and some that we didn't, but ultimately, they were all for our benefit - ;)

I hope you enjoy the discussions here, feel free to jump in, and fire away if you have any questions.

Chris - :)

5. soulfreindly

soulfreindly Senior Registered

Sometimes we just need another way of approaching things. For instance if the reason you are interested in reincarnation is to find out your relationship with you husband , then maybe put that wish aside for awhile and think of it from another angle. It is not always up to us as to what we need to remember, nor how much we should remember.

And it can be quite the time consuming process, I would think depending on how many layers you are holding onto. .. Of course if you are eager the wait can seem that much longer..

hang in there... soulfriendly

6. Kay

Kay Senior Registered

Hi Huancaya and welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear that your experience with trying to remember pastlives has not been more positive for you .

It is my thoughts that we remember a pastlive when the time is right for us to remember. This could be at a time when it would be the most beneficial for us to learn from the experience. I feel sometimes that we can be blocked from pastlive information if it is the wrong time for us to have the knowledge or if by knowing could interfere with our current life. This is not to say that a lot of blocks cant be worked through or that the memories wont come when the time is right. I have found triggers can be helpful in remembering past life.

7. Huancaya

Huancaya New Member

Thanks for the welcome and all the replies :)

This forum only came to my knowledge a short time ago and though I've been reading a ton, I still have a lot to read over.

Sunniva, thanks for the links to past threads. I'll be reading over those shortly. I had ordered not too long ago a regression CD from Brian Weiss. It just arrived todayand I'lltry with that. Your description of the Woolger CD was great though and I'll try that one as well.

Obie, thanks for your reply, it's good to know I'm not the only one who has had these experiences. Also, it may sound silly, but it hadn't yet crossed my mind that maybe she just wasn't a good one.

Chris, you may be right that the life is real. It wasn't an awful life that she described, just not entirely pleasant. What was not accurate though was when she began to discuss how my husband is now. That's why I say that if he was that way in a past life, he is not now in this life. After telling her that what she was saying does not describe my husband in this life, she asked if everything was just perfect between us. It was a rather sarcastic question after answering that though not perfect, we are happy, she asked why I would even ask about my husband. It just wasn't the best experience with the woman.

At this point, I think I'm done trying to get help from others and will try again doing this for myself. I'll give my new Weiss CD a try and maybe get the Woolger one as well. Hopefully, I'll have a good experience to report eventually. Thanks for the encouragement Soulfriendly and I'll be ready for this to take awhile and try to just be open to what is right for me to know at the time.

Again, thanks for the replies! I've learned a lot from this forum and am looking forward to reading more.

8. indigobutterfly

indigobutterfly New Member

I agree with Kay on this. Also, I had an experience with a regressionist that I'm still upset about. I wanted a life btwn. lives regression, and this woman, on the FIRST visit, said that we could accomplish this. Well, she is well known and teaches past life regression/lbl's at the college about 2 hours from here. She's also written several books. Anyway, I'm there, and she just has me lay back with my eyes closed, and she didn't do anything deep or long at all. Long story short. I told her that it wasn't working. She told me to just make something UP!!! Can you believe it!? I paid $240 for this 2 1/2 hour torture. I wish i had had the kahunas to not pay her and to just leave at the point where I had spoken up. Later I researched it and emailed her. I told her that the first session is always to get to know one another and possibly to do a guided visualization. It's important to feel like you can work together. I didn't listen to my gut that day. The second or third visit is when you attempt a past life regression, and after a couple of those, THEN attempt a life btwn. lives regression. She emailed me and just said that it was an interesting concept. what?? I really could've used that $240 in a better way. Anyway, I learned a lesson that day. I am a firm believer that when you're ready to learn about your past, it'll happen, and that it's also helpful to regularly meditate or use self-hypnosis cds before going to a regressionist. That's what I recommend!

9. Karoliina

Karoliina Moderator Emerita

Welcome to the forum, Hunancaya. :)

You've gotten great advice from others, and I agree it's a good thing to try guided regressions on your own. That, too, can take time before you get used to it, so to speak, and it can be difficult at first to believe that what you're experiencing could be genuine past life memories. For others it's very easy to go to a deep altered state and they can just "sit back and watch the film", but for others, like me for example, it feels like you're making things up, and you have to actively "lead" the story so that something would happen.

I used to think it's all my imagination because I had to act like this during regressions and meditations, but after several validations I learned to trust my experiences and "my way", and now I know that even though it still often feels during the experience that it's just me who's consciously creating the story, the memories are genuine.

This is why I thought Keani's therapist wasn't necessarily as crazy as it might sound:

because I think sometimes if people are "blocked" the best way to start experiencing something is to "make something up", because that will usually get you started, and even if you think you're making it up, it could very well later prove to have been a true past life memory.

Of course this therapist could've meant something else, and I'm not saying she's professional and you're wrong, Keani, but just wanted to make this point about "making things up" not being necessarily a bad thing during a session. :)

Hunancaya, I hope you'll let us know how your self-regressions start going, when you've tried the tapes. :thumbsup:

Karoliina

10. tanguerra

tanguerra Moderator Emeritus

Hi Hunancaya,

Welcome to the forum.

I think it is possible that this person just didn't really know what she was doing, indeed as Obie said, was just not very good at her job. She may have been channelling one of her own lives, or someone else's, for all we know. If it didn't feel right, it most likely is not. Being sarcastic is inexcusable (and unprofessional). Talking to psychics is not the most reliable method of uncovering your own memories, although there are those out there that are very genuine and very good at it, there are many who are charlatans. Sad but true.

A few observations but first a couple of questions to contemplate. Why are you so interested in past lives? Why do you read so much about them? What are you looking for? How does it make you feel when you think about the possibility that you may have lived before? Happy? Sad? Thrilled? Anxious? Nostaligic? Do you have particular music you like? Is it from a certain era? Does it give you a certain, funny feeling? If so, what funny feeling? Why? Can you describe it?

The way into past lives is quite often through emotions, not through the use of the intellect alone. Memories are stored in the 'soul' (which is immortal) not the 'brain' (which is not). Sometimes, people who are very much 'up in their head', very intellectual, intelligent, analytical, logical and so on (which you are, I am guessing, since you say for instance you read a lot and have been conducting research into reincarnation for some years, etc) can be difficult to 'hypnotise'. You say your regressionist did not do any 'meditation' before launching into a visualisation. It could well be that she did not take the proper amount of time to do the 'now you are getting sleepy' bit of the exercise, to really take you into a very deep relaxation, which is most essential to access the deeper level of the psyche where these memories are stored. It can take longer with some people than others, hence the rather average (if upsetting) result.

Sometimes a regression therapist will say 'just make something up' as Karolina points out, to get you just to stop thinking about it, or worrying about it, but just to say the first thing that comes to you, however outlandish or silly it might seem. This is a way of getting around the "analyzer" in everyone and free up what lies beneath. It is not meant as an exhortation to 'lie'.

The fact that both times you became agitated (quite rightly, I have no doubt) indicates to me that there are some upsetting feelings hiding somewhere deep down, perhaps? These can be the most difficult ones to access. Just as in this life, we usually prefer not to think about those unless we really, really have to.

I would suggest you read this thread, How can I learn about my past lives, which is excellent, as a starting point. And, if you do try to use the CDs, which others have had a lot of success with, start by trying to recall a nice, simple, pleasant memory. We all have them! These can be a much more gentle introduction to this wonderful adventure, especially for beginners.

Good luck with your explorations.

11. Ailish

Ailish Administrator Emerita

Hi Huancaya,

Welcome to the forum :) The others have given you some great food for thought...

Imo – it sounds as if she was doing a “cold reading” on you. Waiting for you to acknowledge “something” about your present relationship with your husband that she could take, expand on and relate back to a past life cause. When you didn’t give her anything – it seems she may have gotten frustrated – hence the sarcasm.

We all have issues with those we love – small things that frustrate us, but we love them unconditionally anyway. She was probably hoping you would say, “Well, it hurts me when he does this….” or “it bothers me when he…” Good for you – for giving her nothing! ;)

I do not generally trust anyone to give me information about my past lives. I believe we all know our soul’s journey – and even those who aren’t consciously aware of a past life, do know when something resonates with them – or feels entirely wrong. If it feels wrong - don't accept it as yours ;)

There are only two people in the whole Universe whose information I would consider to be valid – my Mom's and my Grandma's. Both are extremely gifted at seeing – and experiencing – others lives. Still, they have both told me, “Don’t accept the information I give you as your own if it doesn’t feel right.” Despite trusting the source – I still look for personal validations and do not consider it “mine” until I experience it myself. ;)

That's a great option, imo. :D Just relax - and don't try too hard the first time you give it a go. Be open to whatever comes to you, and don't try to analyze it while you're experiencing it. After the session - write everything down in as much detail as you can. Most of all - if you see nothing the first time - it's okay. It's very often a process - and learning to allow yourself to be open to all, can take a bit of practice. Keep at it - and never get discouraged. :)

I hope you'll share your results with us!

Aili

12. indigobutterfly

indigobutterfly New Member

Karoliina~

Yep, that's how she explained it, which I understood. But, for me, it just wasn't working at all. I made up about 10 minutes' worth, and then it was really obvious that it wasn't working. I can see where it may be helpful if someone is actually induced somewhat. But, I wasn't at all. I was totally and completely awake throughout the entire time and not relaxed into any sleep states. I learned a lesson that day. A lesson I have had brought to me many times......I'm finally learning! Listen to your gut!! :)

I am a firm believer that meditation and guided visualization cds are wonderful at helping you get into the zone. I highly recommend it! They especially help people like me who have a hard time relaxing and trusting a new person.

Saturday I saw Carol Bowman on tv. She was on the Bio channel. It was a pretty interesting story she was talking about. A little boy remembered being a soldier. He had a cyst on his throat that he needed surgically removed. But, they had to remove the tonsils first. It was cool because once the tonsils were out, he started talking about being an 18 y.o. soldier being shot in the neck. This little boy, before the surgery, was very fearful of being alone. In the past life, he was alone in the woods when he got shot. Anyway, he was a totally different child after the surgery. His cyst disappeared, too. Now his dad's a firm believer in reincarnation. I love it when parents become believers because of their kids. There was also a story on there about a young girl who remembered her life as a mother in Ireland to 8 children. She died and left them as orphans. She drew maps of the tiny town in Ireland. This woman remembered her past life just as clearly when she was 39 and actually went to the town. She found 5 of her 8 children! (the other 3 were dead already) It was really a cool story. Very neat.

13. Karoliina

Karoliina Moderator Emerita

Yes, listening to one's gut is always good. :thumbsup:

Karoliina