Any memories of being elderly?

Discussion in 'Past Life Memories' started by ChrisR, May 30, 2008.

1. ChrisR

ChrisR Administrator Emeritus Staff Member Super Moderator

It appears that the majority of past lives recalled are lives that were cut short and ended with a tragic death at a young age, I can remember two such lives, and the remaining lives that I remember, I can only remember ever being young. I also realize that there was a time when making it to your 40's was considered a 'long life'.

This question is directed at younger members, who have yet to experience old age in their present life. I was wondering if any of you can recall being elderly and frail, how did you relive those memories? can you remember feeling the effects that old age had on your body? Can anybody remember dying a natural death caused by old age?

2. Karoliina

Karoliina Moderator Emerita

That is a good question. :thumbsup:

I think that the majority remembers short lives/lives as relatively young, because the traumatic deaths leave a mark in your soul, so to speak, and because of age parallels it's also easier to remember what it was like when you were the same age you are now or of age you have already been in this life.

I remember only two past lives, where I lived to be relatively old. I'm sure there are more, but these two I remember. However, I have very vague memories of the later years. Of the other, where I was an American woman in the 1700's, I have only this one flashback of myself sitting in a rocking chair and feeling bitter with my life (I wasn't the most positive person in that life). In the other it was the 1800's and I was a male. I remember living with my brother and leading a very simple life after a very adventorous youth/adulthood. I wasn't awfully old thinking about it now, but back then 60 years was officially ancient. :D We lived in England and had money, and the life was much about sitting in the library, smoking pipe/cigars, drinking Scotch, reading newspapers and books, often out loud to each other etc. I think it was rather nice, but I also regretted some things I had done or left undone earlier in that life.

Of either lifetime I don't unfortunately remember any physical sensations of being old and frail.

Karoliina

3. Rod

Rod Senior Registered

There were two past lives from which I have significant memories. In one, my life lasted less than 40 years but I have no clue how it ended. In the more recent one, my demise occured of natural causes in a hospital at about age 50.

While I don't have any memories of being old, some of this came to me at ages notably younger than what I was remembering. It is indeed strange to recall experiences of being older than one is.

...Rod

4. Clivia

Clivia Senior Registered

I am not one of the youngest members ;) but I also think that this is an interesting question and thread.

spontaneouly I can remember 3 past lives in which I died of old age - the one as a roman soldier - I died peacefully at home with my wife and my daughter at my side.

also in my life as a sibirian furtrader I died of old age - and I think I got fairly old in my danish life as well.

All of these memories are pleasant - none is scary - maybe because I was not suffering of an illness - just natural weakness

I can remember the lives and the emotions but not the body sensations

Clivia

5. Reynardine

Reynardine Senior Registered

I also remember dying at a very old age in my Siberian fur trader life; Clivia and I were colleagues then ;) I don't remember dying as such, but it must have been very gentle and unspectacular, perhaps that's why I don't remember. As others have pointed out, we tend to remember dramatic and traumatic things better than we do everyday events, but that's probably normal. But it's an interesting question you raised, Chris!

6. alaskanlaughter

alaskanlaughter Senior Registered

I have memories of being an old gold miner, having spent most of my life looking for gold(?) in the wilderness. (I'm not entirely sure if I was searching for gold or some other mineral.) I remember being old - my guess would be 50s - and making my way through snowy wilderness with two other older men who I spent alot of time with. I know now that those two men are currently my dad and sister in this life. I don't remember any sensations of being old, as I seemed to be fairly rugged and tough at the time still. That's the oldest memory I have from any PLs and I don't think I was dying or close to dying in that one.

7. Caillean

Caillean Senior Registered

Hmm... I have a few memories of being "older". Though I think some of them would be considered "being in the prime of my years" nowadays. I have only 2 memories of being a child, which is interesting, in all the others I remember I must have been at least over 35.

Especially the past life as the art painter/collecter I was old when I died on my bed. I remember it being a peaceful experience where time seemed to be standing still. I still see the soft light of the oil lamp illuminating the room and the curtains. And someone standing at the windows.

In another life I remember being bitter about being older (though I think I was in my 40s).

8. Lestat

Lestat New Member

Interesting topic!

I remember four lifes in more detail, and three vague. In the lifes that I remember better I was actuelly one time "old". I am now in this life 16 years old and I have memories of being in my 30's or 40's. I do not know how old I was when I died. I was a man and I was very bitter about my life and life in general. I was angry with the society and couldn't handle my feelings. I was not very connected and concerned with my wife and daughter. I remember feelings of elder people (my pastlife-identities) like having a wife and kids and that sort of things, but not any physical sensations...

9. Sunniva

Sunniva Administrator Emeritus

I've had glimpses of two lives in which I died being old. They were very opposite in nature.

The first one is the one I know the least about: my life in ancient Greece. I've had glimpses of a happy, carefree life, lots of hard work, but also a lot of love, peace and contentment. I saw myself as an old woman, my hair almost white, in a bed with my entire family around me. It was a proud moment for me - I looked at their faces and they smiled back at me. I had many children and grandchildren, it was wonderful for me to see that life would go on and that everyone would be okay, and I felt very fulfilled. It was a peaceful and happy moment.

I don't remember being old, as such. It's mainly just memories of the moment of death.

The other memory is of the monk Nikolas, which I believed lived sometime in the 1300's. Contrary to the Greek woman he died alone in a monastery. It was a peaceful death too, he was a very old man and it was in the middle of the night when his heart just stopped beating, but his last thoughts were of loneliness and doubts whether he had really lived the 'right' life or whether he would have been happier being a layman, marrying and having children. In that moment he desperately missed having a family around him.

So those are my memories of old people :)

10. Obie

Obie Senior Registered

When I was young like in my teen years I used to feel sorry for older ppl. I could feel their loneliness and frustrations with the younger generation and how they feel that they are too old to do anything fun.

Now I'm realizing that old ppl dont have it too bad. Some are very happy in fact.

I dont remember too many lives being old, but I'm sure I lived long lives in some of them, since I can relate to older ppl at times.

11. Sunniva

Sunniva Administrator Emeritus

An odd thing I just remembered was that at some point in my childhood I was obsessed with playing 'retired' lol. I would pretend to be an old woman, on her own, shopping, doing chores etc. I don't remember playing it a lot since I always ended up boring myself : angel:D, but I was really fascinated by the life of old people.

I wonder if this was just a typical childhood phase or if it was perhaps past life related. :)

12. kstornado11

kstornado11 Senior Registered

I do! I have fleeting memories of being an old man (I'm a 38 year old mom of 4) who was some sort of scientist,something to do w/ animals... I remember sitting at my desk,writng about & researching animals... the term "naturalist" comes to mind. I remember studying about all sorts of different breeds of birds & wildlife...and I remember being a very grouchy,stern person. Maybe bitter?

13. Lyprith

Lyprith New Member

I keep getting the impression that i dont tend to live to old age very often in my lives. So far ive seen the end of one, and i was a young woman at about 23 years, the other two ive remembered so far i havent accessed the ends for them yet.

14. Ailish

Ailish Administrator Emerita

Welcome to the forum Lyprith,

I'd love to hear more about your memories if you're willing to share!

Ailish

15. Lyprith

Lyprith New Member

Thank you for the welcome Ailish.

The clearest memory ive uncovered so far is like i said from about the late 1800's in America i believe.

the bulidings are all wooden and mud brick, like a small old west sort of town. I'm walking down the side of a building heading for the main street, its late morning and im planning on meeting a friend there. I get to the main street and walk on the veranda until the end of the shop then see my friend on the other side of the street, i step off the wooden walkway and begin to cross the street not really paying attention, its a quiet town that doesn't see much traffic at that time of day. halfway across the street i turn my head to the right and all i can see is horse. It hits me, and my body's knocked a few feet away, at this time everything changes to a third person veiw, i see the horse swerve and the wagon its pulling falls on its side and on top of me.

I became a bit disturbed at this point because it was my first regession that i did on purpose so i pulled my self out of it.

16. ChrisR

Hi Lyprith, sorry I seem to have missed your first post, welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your past memory.

It's understandable that remembering your death can be disturbing enough to pull you out of a regression, especially if it's your first time, but try to hold on to the thought that it is only a memory, and that it can't harm you now, then maybe you can try again and see if you can work your way through it, see if you can remember what your thoughts and feelings were before you died.

Chris - ;)

17. dreamer8682

dreamer8682 New Member

lol, thats kind of funny about playing retired. My brother and I used to pretend these trees where the branches weren't broken in half but kind of bent over were dragons trying to get us and we'd go after them with really long sticks we'd just beat the tree branches senseless for minutes at a time. I'm surprised our parents never stared at us like 'what the heck?' when we'd come back inside. Its funny how even though you enjoy remembering certain games you played you still have to shake your head and try to keep from laughing.

18. Tinkerman

Tinkerman Administrator Staff Member Super Moderator

Dreamer8682,

Please Check Your Private Messages

19. dreamer8682

dreamer8682 New Member

thanks i havent been on many forums before that sent them so i'll try to remember:thumbsup:

20. kmckuin

kmckuin New Member

Not me, but my daughter seemed to...

My youngest daughter Katie was not even two when she brought me a kitchen towel (simple cloth style, not terry) and asked me (through a combination of words -- she was talking by the time she was 9 months old -- and gestures) to fold and tie it on her head.

I made several bad attempts -- a kerchief like in old cowboy shows? NO! -- a mask covering nose and mouth? NO! a cape? NO! Finally she directed me, with some exasperation, to put the triangle shaped cloth over her head and tie it under her chin. She looked really funny with that scarf on her little head, wisps of pale blond hair escaping here and there.

What she did next astonished me and the rest of the family. She picked up her "baby" (a stuffed monkey that she LOVED) and tucked him into one arm, and then grabbed a toy baton and bent over, and used the baton like a walking stick going around the house like that for some time.

We kidded her about "remembering being an old lady" but we have never gotten an explanation for the odd behavior.

21. soulfreindly

soulfreindly Senior Registered

I remember my death as a minister in the 1800s. This tied in directly that happened to me this life.

I think I first remembered my grandmother coming to me the morning she died in our family home. My grandmother was not someone who opened up about her feelings. She had been living with us for a year ?? but I did not feel close to her. She had been raised in a Quaker family and she married my grandfather who was a United church minister.

The morning she died I believe she spoke to me after she had left her body. She told me that she regretted not spending more time in spiritual pursuits. She felt that even though she had spent alot of time socializing with people she had missed out the deeper connections of relationships.

She was fretting about her feelings of guilt on her death. I felt these feelings but could not process them from my childish perspectives. It did make me begin my journey of exploring spirituality when I was in university and became disappointed with the shallowness of my life.

IN my memory of being a minister , I too died with the very same thought... ie that I felt I had wasted that life in religious pursuits .. Funny eh? How me and my grandmother had parallel experiences. I wonder if this happens frequently.

The other memory is of me being a monk in France.. 1400s? I was old but had continued to write , and I found peace in my old age. I do not think i had any chronic or acute illness in my old age and I died peacefully. There is a lot to distressing in ones old age. I also grew up with my other grandmother at our family home. She was so calm and non demanding . She lived to 100 years old.. I think I will slow down in my life in my old age { I am too much a type A person} and take advantage of those things that older people do.. I do not want to be always trying to keep my youth.. being old is the natural pattern in life.

SOulfreindly

22. soulfreindly

Looking at this old post of mine,, I am embarrased...

What I wrote was not at all what I was feeling,

I was in such denial..

I knew at that time I was not willing to let go of my youth.. I was very angry for being ill , and could not stand the thought of slowing down and not having a life ... So I will have to rethink my thoughts of death in a "natural" manner.

I was interested Chris , why you thought to ask just those who are young about how they perceived dieing in old age in their past life memories?

When I first replied in the spring, I was still very sick

and had alot of fear and anger towards being so ill and feeling that much closer to death. Back then it did not occur to me that in my memories of being old , I did not have the same feelings that I do experience when I am feeling ill.---ie I never rememebered the trauma of dieing a natural death.

Yet remembering death through trauma , pain inflicted on me during my life are all very easy to be triggered and remembered in regression. THat makes me think that when our death is natural, we are not burdened with these overwhelming memories of how bad life can be when we are losing our bodies. SO it is not losing the body that is the trauma , it is the circumstances around it. ,,, and that bodily pain is maybe not ever replayed and brought forth into our future lives??

On the posts below , no one commented on the pain of it. Really quite extraordinary to me.. as pain has to be involved ... SOme commented they were bitter , an emtional reaction, but again no trauma associated with any pain of death.

I think we as a society do not see enough of the pain of a natural death. I just wonder if we should be more in tune with the pain of death... I do not think it was a good thing for me to be in such denial.. for me nor for anyone else.. Bringing me back to my fear of being a whimp... but arent we all..?? We may just not remember it... until faced with alot of pain. Or am I more of a whimp than others??

soulfreindly

23. ChrisR

Hi soulfreindly,

I can understand your fear and anger when you were sick, I have a chronic illness myself, although not as debilitating as yours, I still went through a stage of anger and fear when I was first diagnosed. I can see how you've come a long way since you joined the road to recovery - :thumbsup:

The main point of my original question was intended more towards 'experiencing old age' than remembering a natural death. I wanted to hear the views of younger people because old age is something that they obviously haven't experienced in their present life, so remembering it from the perspective of a past life would be a 'unique' experience for a younger person, and in my opinion, a good indication that it is a past life memory. Like a child who remembers being an adult, or somebody who remembers being of the oppsite sex.... old age is a thing that younger people have not experienced (in this life)

Chris - :)

24. soulfreindly

Hi Chris,

That was very astute to think of narrowing it down to just the young when doing a survey .. Being a different age is not something you can learn or in my case pick up by osmosis. I have been very ill for many years , plus I had two grandmothers living in our home growing up, and I am just getting around to truly understanding what it is getting old gracefully. It means being able to say no alot, extra self care , and cherishing the smaller accomplishments in life.

Sorry to hear that you have some health problems .. I hope you are finding some things to help you cope better. I have alot of luck with natural supplements, herbs , homeopathics. Some truly amazing healings. And with our world wide web , there is alot of wonderful info at our fingertips.

I guess this experience is giving me some lessons about healing as in my future life I remembered I am working at a healing retreat in northern Ontario, canada..This life I am getting the hang of having more faith in what God has given us to keep us healthier and happy ..

Take care, soulfreindly

25. Cloacina

Cloacina Probationary

It is interesting to note that I have rarely read or heard anyone speak of having been elderly in a recollected past life. Yet, as others have said, lives cut short could have had a stronger impact on the soul. Also, others have mentioned how they weren't old by today's standards, but were considered old at the time they lived in. That occured to me when I first read your question. For a great while, our life expectancy was not as long as it is today. Medical advances, for example, have lengthened our lives. Many people also have better access to food year round. If more of us died at earlier ages in the past, it stands to reason that we wouldn't recall old age so often.

Also, to parrot the others once again, at the age many recall past lives, they are quite often a great deal younger than the people they remember being. I had a dream as a young child in which I drempt I died as a person whom I believe appeared to be....possible in their 40's. I was not even a teenager, and don't think I had even hit double digits at the time. I am not sure if that was a real past life or not, but the dream stuck with me nonethless. Going back to the traumatic deaths are more easily recalled theory- it was a violent death.

I also have a young cousin who told me she thought she recalled a past life. I think she was a young woman when she died. Again, a violent death. And a good friend of mine believed he had lived and died before, and he also recalled a violent death, but he was an adult when he died in that life, and he had recalled it since he was a child. Once again, there was a big age difference between who he remembered being and the age at which he recalled dieing before.

26. Truthseeker

Truthseeker Former Moderator

This is a good question Chris, and should be bumped for newer members.

Personally, I don't have any memories of living to old age. Part of this, I'm sure, as to do with violence, disease and lack of medical advancements limiting life expectancy in years past. I'm sure I have had lives that I lived to an advanced age that haven't been relevant enough to my current existance for me to remember.