Bad luck researching

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Ignotus, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Ignotus

Ignotus Senior Registered

Not much for me. I, like you, has rotten luck in researching. Many documents had been burned or destroyed during that time so its really hard to determine who I was. And sometimes you don't trust your memories, I still can't determine whether some of mine are real. (Sorry for being off topic but is it normal for memories to be in third person..?)

But I'm guessing its the lesson that really matters than who you were but it would be nice to see who we were...

2. Kapitan

Kapitan Probationary

That's true Wuxin - and also let's not forget all that was destroyed in the Allied bombing raids. For example, my marriage to my first wife (and even possibly my second) - I don't ever expect to find any sort of 'paper trail' for that simply because of all the devistation from the bombings.

I personally feel that, in such instances, that that is a simple fact that must be acknowledged. Even though I cannot produce any sort of 'paper proof' of my first wife, that does not negate the memories I have of her.

And since this subject was brought up, I recently had someone join my U-Boat Site and also my spiritual site. They asked me about one of my crewmen - my IIWO at Scapa Flow, as they were doing research. They stated that some sites don't mention that he earned the Iron Cross IInd class (as a result of the success for the Scapa raid) and so I had to help him out with that. This member is possibly a distant cousin to the man who was my IIWO (second watch officer).

I know I'm going to rankle some people when I say this but, I personally feel that there is sometimes too much 'stock' placed in 'historical proof' or 'historical records' - because even this guy that I mentioned above had problems. So even such an 'authority' as 'historical records' has 'holes' in it.

I could go on citing other examples...but I'll stop there. :laugh:

3. Ignotus

It worst for me. There are no records at all.. At least I have pictures! Gestapo records, most probably confiscated by US CIA or Russian KGB and destroyed. But I would love to talk to a war veteran to help me with my research. :D

4. Kapitan

Kapitan Probationary

Re Wuxin: Yeah photos can help - and show up in the most unlikely places as I know from an experience I had back in Jan. '07 at a WWII event... :laugh:

I'm trying to think of where you could start Wuxin - if you were involved in the SS, some W-SS reenacting units might be able to help - there's some all over actually.

I agree that as far as any 'paper trail' those things would be destroyed. That's where it's different with my situation - Adm. Doenitz didn't want our records destroyed so I could get copies of my KTB (kriegstagbuch) for my U-Boat from the National Archives in D.C.

What about the Holocaust Museum in the U.S.?

5. Ignotus

I don't live in the US..... ._. Here its all about the Japanese and their death marches. I can try if I ever visit there. Or better, in Germany herself. Yes, photos can help. I found myself if I search carefully in the background of some. But not all.. Heh, I was looking at medals I would have got, what surprised me was I had the SS honour badge. I then got a flash but it was brief. Himmler showing me the badge and awarding it to me. The only thing I thought there was, Don't get down on bended knees! and let me put it in my own hand!

I still remember I had a lot of medals but not a notable recipient, so you can't find me in Wikipedia!

6. Ignotus

Thanks! But I was never a Wehrmacht.. Anyways, if you ever find my number, 512183 (or 2 1883 455, I have no idea..), let me know!

7. Kapitan

Kapitan Probationary

Well I had thought about emailing the Holocaust Museum -

http://www.ushmm.org/museum/contact/

That's one route - I found this - it looks like the National Archives might have a few things available after all - but for this one thing you'd have to have a name. I put it here anyway:

http://www.ssdaggers.com/useful_information

You might also be able to get help here at this site - Wehrmacht Awards:

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156726

There's some options to start with. :)

I sent you a PM - I had a brain fart and it might just work if you give it a shot. ;)

The Wehrmacht Awards site covers all the branches - not just KM/Kriegsmarine, Luftwaffe, and Heer/Army - they also cover the SS.

8. Ignotus

Hmm, I can try but I have never emailed a museum or anything before.. No idea why, but in the back of my head, its saying 'Don't disturb them' and how should I write it, should I go, formality or something...?

Agh, I should work there next time!

9. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Registered

Museums and Universities are generally very receptive to students, or anyone interested in doing research. All you need to do is explain that you are a student interested in researching a particular history. You might be surprised at how willing they are to share what they know. And, if they don't know the answers, they may even find your questions to be an interesting challenge. Good luck!

10. Totoro

Totoro Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

I think that's an excellent thing to do and I'm going to give it a try myself... :thumbsup:

11. Ignotus

Thanks, I have no idea why but I feel very reluctant to actually ask someone about this. I guess its the shyness I have.. But I'll give it a shot and maybe I'll get something!

12. Kapitan

Kapitan Probationary

Wuxin - another place you could ask, at least regarding photos, would be a Signal magazine historian.

This was the historian I had asked with regards to there being anything on me or Scapa Flow (but he replied in the negative - although oddly enough, about 2 weeks later I got an email from him out of the blue about Hermann Historica auctioning off items from my estate - and that was a gold mine for me).

So - even if you might not be able to get something directly from him, he might be able to give you some leads.

Here is his site: http://www.signalmagazine.com/signal.htm