Can the practice of mediumship be scientifically proven?

Discussion in 'Parapsychology' started by Nightrain, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Registered

In 2002 a book, "The Afterlife Experiments" was published, which seems to have successfully conducted experiments to discover whether certain mediums could give accurate readings for sitters in a controlled laboratory setting. These experiments were conducted by Dr. Gary E. Schwartz, and the book, "...chronicles a series of laboratory experiments conducted with a group of well-known mediums - including John Edward - to see if their claims of contact with "the other side" could be scientifically measured and documented. The results of those experiments are intriguing, to say the least, and profound, if considered seriously.".

Has anyone read of these experiments? And, are you convinced that this is acceptable science or "soft" science?

2. dking777

dking777 Senior Registered

I don't know why - but your thread brought to mind a thread of thoughts hidden away in my childhood about the 'man in the moon' and how science conqured the heavens in 1969 and proved (once and for all) it had proof of something mankind has pondered since it's conception. Was the moon made of cheese?

It goes more deep in my own mind when I reflect back on a conversation I had with an Uncle back around the moon landing. He thought it was a hoax and refused to believe in it.

In the end - he came clean to me and said he felt 'mankind' was going to get too big for it's own britches. He said he had children of his own and knew the trouble they would get themselves into once they got a little too much pride in them. He felt society and humanity was about to get a 'big head' and feel they had conquered the heavens and sweep the idea of God aside. My uncle told me in the early 70's that mankind was on its way to 'worshiping' science as a God.

When on metaphysical forums - I see this debate often. Science as a form of truth superior to 'spiritual truth.'

I wrote out a longer post on my forum at "Man in the Moon." This discussion took place shortly prior to my revelation about a past life memory, but it effected my own mind of study as I evaluated the reaction adult minds had toward my testimonial of truth pertain to the 'life of the soul.'

My Uncle gave me his view later - on the Church and how they opposed my type of 'recall' of a past life. He brought the 'moon landing' into the conversation and said it was the same thing. He felt it was a form of subtle mind control and that Science was trying to work its way into the minds of the masses as a new religion.

In the end - he told me,

"Man may have gone to the moon and planted a flag but he is taking all the glory for it. Truth be told, he wouldn't have accomplished that feat unless God intended for it to be. I feel God sent man to the moon - but man full of his own pride has taken all the credit for himself."

DK

3. fiziwig

fiziwig moderator emeritus

I read the book several years ago and was very impressed by it. I consider it to be good science.

By way of contrast, I think the books I've read on hypnotic regression are bunk, so I'm not easily swayed.

--gary

4. Nightrain

A book that I'm presently reading, "The End of Materialism" 2009, by Charles T. Tart, details how evidence of the paranormal is bringing science and spirit together. He also makes a strong argument for the fact that followers of "Scientism" have done everything possible to restrict financing for legitimate study of Telepathy, Clairvoyance, Precognition, Psychokinesis, and Psychic Healing, Out of Body Experiences and Near Death Experiences. And, all the legitimate study that has been observed doesn't make it to the "scientific" journals. It is usually suppressed out of hand, or the researchers wish to maintain their tenure before retirement. And, after retirement, they write books like Charles Tart's, which explain to the public how stringently such research has been planned.

And, in spite of convincing observations, if they feel constrained to say that they couldn't necessarily test whether another paranormal phenomenon is the cause; the "scientism-ists" will take such a statement out of context as proof that the experiment failed. In other cases the same experiments couldn't always be repeated, or the test subjects were not available. But the observations were still valid.

There exists a built-in hierarchy in established scientific institutions, whose dogma resembles that of many religious zealots, especially in the United States. Anyone speaking out against that hierarchy or its dogmas can be "excommunicated" from their post without due process.

With over 100 pages to go in the book, I suspect that Charles Tart will show that there is hope yet. If enough people show interest in the very credible observations made during the past 70 years, paranormal research may eventually go mainstream and allow for more legitimate research. Certainly, Quantum Physics has opened the door just a crack, even though there is not yet any clear connection between the strangeness of Quantum phenomenon and paranormal phenomenon.

5. Nightrain

Eusapia Palladino has a http://www.paranormalia.com/, in which he says,

Mr. Palladino became intimately familiar with Journals and Proceedings of the Society for Psychical Research beginning with 1882. SPR commissioned him to write an abstracts catalogue of all 120 volumes, which gave him a very full understanding of just how much documented material there is in support of psi's existence.

His upcoming book, "Randi's Prize" may be in the shops by September.