Carl Jung's belief in Reincarnation

Discussion in 'Past Life Memories' started by Deborah, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Jody

Jody Senior Registered

If I may, I'd like to take this opportunity to share one of my favorite web sites by a guy named Paul Levy who has done a lot to build on Jung's work (looks a bit like him, too! :D ):

Awaken in the Dream

2. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

Screen Shot 2018-11-25 at 9.49.01 AM.png
    Has anyone read Pilgrimage to the Rebirth. 1978 was a long time ago and I am interested in your thoughts of the book if you have. If no one has...I think I will try to dig one up. ;)

note - there is a new version of it that is available published in 2000.

Pilgrimage to the Rebirth

New Ed edition

Published January 2000 by Continuum+publishing .

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  3. Deborah

Taken from the Soul Genome -

4. Deborah

Any new members have thoughts on this thread/topic?

5. John Tat

John Tat Senior Registered

This is the first time I have heard of Carl Jung. That's not surprising to me because as I have said before I do no research about any of this. My reason being that the communications I believe I'm having do not have to be filtered through others beliefs and opinions. I read every post on this thread and I must say it did stir up plenty within me

It all a jumble like debris being tossed around in a tornado. I have no idea how I can put it all back together again. I have said before that it has ben communicated to me that our consciousness has duel purpose It's both our physical and spiritual consciousness That is the connection between the physical and spiritual. They talk a lot about transformation

That to go to another level you must be transformed through the reincarnation process. Is our consciousness the sub conscious and the collective unconscious like peace's of a jig saw puzzle on the table, that are joined together to become one during transformation?
    This is something that came to me from the debris flying around and most likely is ridiculous.
    I have said enough without making a fool of myself

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2015
  6. SeaAndSky

SeaAndSky Senior Registered

Hi Deborah,

I am somewhat surprised that your introduction of this topic did not elicit more responses. I was thinking of introducing a thread on the role of Persona preservation in blocking PL memories, but I think you have made a better start on Jungian concepts in the broad sense. I skipped the introductory material on Jung you linked, as I’ve read quite a bit on his thought (including some denunciations). However, in that regard, I will freely confess that what I have read has mostly been by his expositors rather than directly from the source. Frankly, I find his thought a lot more accessible when condensed and summarized. This is probably because I am merely an interested layman, and no expert either in psychology or in Jung. However, I have found even my small knowledge invaluable in trying to understand a side of myself that did not seem comprehensible in any other way: my unconscious mind as revealed by my dreams and other scarcely understood personal penchants and issues.

To make a long story short, it was these that brought me to a complete re-evaluation of many core beliefs and ultimately to this board as a source of information and interchange with people who were more used to dealing on a daily basis with some of the issues that I was facing. (In this regard, I found the quotes from the Sabine book to be intriguing and very “on point” for me and hope to read more of this work in the future). Most recently, my dream life has let me know in pretty definite terms (as I count such things in dealing with my dreams) that I’m not ready to proceed further, or at least to try and “force” the issue in terms of PL memories. The messages I’m getting seem to indicate that I’m not yet prepared to deal with some memories that may be traumatic, at least without some real help and assistance. (Unfortunately, Dr. Brian Weiss is a bit too far and probably too pricey for my immediate benefit.:cool:)

I just bring out the foregoing in terms of illustrating the importance of this “side” of things. I could speak of other things in terms of my personal experience in this area, but I think the topic is important in other ways as well. However, I’m out of time for the moment, so it will have to wait until another time.

Cordially,

S&S

7. SeaAndSky

"Oh see ye not yon narrow road,

So thick beset wi' thorns and briers?

That is the Path of Righteousness,

Though after it but few inquires.

"And see ye not yon braid, braid road,

That lies across the lily leven?

That is the Path of Wickedness,

Though some call it the Road to Heaven.

"And see ye not yon bonny road

That winds about the fernie brae?

That is the Road to fair Elfland

Where thou and I this night maun gae.

I am starting this post with the words of the Queen of Elfland to Thomas in the tale of “Thomas The Rhymer” (See, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_the_Rhymer) to make the point that there is a third alternative and dimension to the way we often see things. The poem uses somewhat exaggerated medieval terminology in speaking of the life directed towards “higher” things in contrast with the life in this world. Still, I am used to people that speak of “Vertical” spirituality directed towards God and “Horizontal” spirituality lived out in the world (corresponding generally to the spirituality lived out and expressed along the first two roads). In contrast to these two is the third road, which leads to places of strange and profound beauty and even stranger terrors in legend and in the poem.

Whether there is actually a road to “fair Elfland” is not my point, though I sometimes think I wouldn’t mind finding it myself. Perhaps my point is that we often concentrate on our road through the world (with emphasis on our conscious mind) and our efforts to advance spiritually (with emphasis on developing or contacting the higher part of ourselves and/or the universe), but seldom directly think about our subconscious or unconscious mind—except as the dusty attic (or moldy basement) where things we occasionally need for the other two are stored. In fact, if we think of it as something other than a storage bin, we mainly seem to think of it as a source of problems.

I’ll have to cut it off here as my time is limited, but there is much more to say about this side of ourselves. I hope someone else with more experience in Jungian thought would chime in here, as I can easily get over my head, despite the fact that it is a subject of interest to me. I am particularly interested in the relationship between the various “parts” of our psyche and in the relationship between Jungian Individuation and other forms of Spiritual growth. There is also a side of this conversation that belongs to the arts, as the Jungian archetypes are the almost constant subject of their best works one way or another.

Cordially,

S&S

8. SeaAndSky

Well, there is seemingly no real interest by most in this topic. No point in talking to an empty room I guess coffee. Signing off :cool:.

Cordially

S&S

9. Mat2

Mat2 New Member

I have just discovered this forum, and this thread is by no means dead. I have studied jung my whole life, and have some insight which should fill in the gaps about jung and his certainties (he didnt believe in reincarnation, he knew it to be true through personal memories of his own past.

I remember the book by van der post (jung and the story of our time) where van der post was with jung in africa and he sais he had lived there before - about 6000 years ago.

Anyway, jung's sequence of lives prior to jung jnr is quite well established, and i wrote a book about this in 1997 (called master of the rose).

The sequence is: jung senior (ie he was his own grandfather), st germain, sir francis bacon, columbus, roger bacon, charles martel, the philospher proclus, the first christian martyr of the british isles Alban...

Etc..

Happy to delve into detail but theres a lot to this story so this thread will be around for a while...

Michael taylor

10. tanguerra

tanguerra Moderator Emeritus

Hi Mat

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, it's a very interesting topic, isn't it?

11. Volkman

Volkman New Member

Mat, I'm curious, what are your sources for this information about Jung?

12. Marc Ross

Marc Ross Senior Registered

Book: The Soul Genome - Psychoplasm

Welcome to the Forum Mat.

Post #33 in this thread might be of interest; as post discusses the Book 'The Soul Genome' and the theory of 'psychoplasm.'

13. Skarphedinn

Skarphedinn Member

Hi Michael,

I have also read quite a lot of Jung's works, and what you write about him is more than interesting. The GW, Gesammelte Werke is a huge corpus of writings, I read no more than third of the whole, so I don't claim, that he hadn't stated anything about his past lives, but what I have read made clear to me, that he handled the topic of reincarnation as a bit of a taboo. I am convinced, that he believed in it, but in his writings he tries to avoid getting straight to the point. So for example in Dreams, memories, reflections he mentions, that he could imagine having lived a century before, or elsewhere he says something like that he was there to answer certain questions, and he felt the necessity to find answers before he died.

At the turn of the century it was rebelling against the establishment to deal with spiritual questions as a psychiatrist, therefore he made enormous efforts to produce something quantifiable, like asking the subject a set of questions, and measure the reaction time. I've got a feeling, that it was rather an activity to mask his inclination towards the spiritual. He could pursue this activity freely only later as a therapist.

All in all, I am curious about the exact details of Jung's possible past lives. You can also PM me, if you feel like.

Skarphedinn

14. Mat2

Mat2 New Member

Hi

I wrote a book about Jung, his CERTAINTY about reincarnation, and his identities prior to that life (he was for instance his own grandfather, Jung Senior). I say certainty, because belief is rather inferior to knowingness...and Jung knew.

Email me on spearshaker2002@gmail.com if anyone would like me to send a PDF copy via email.

Peace

Michael

15. Marc Ross

Marc Ross Senior Registered

Reincarnation - Carl Jung's book.

Hello,

Thank-you Deborah for starting this thread.

One of Jung's books: Letters of C.G. Jung (Volume 2) - Volumes 1951-1961 mentions Reincarnation in expert on Google Books.

Jung wrote that reincarnation has never been proven, or disproven e.g., inconclusive. Jung's vocabulary invites further investigation into reincarnation; as a phenomenon which seems like a good possibility.

Best holiday, and New Year's wishes!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2015
  16. Deborah

Great thread ;)